Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How long till someone makes a cabbage patch map tile that can connect to anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ravenfood posted:

One of the upcoming DLCs is titled "Shen's Last Gift".

There's basically no way it's not going to be MECs judging by the DLC description.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So for the people who read that XCOM 2 prequel novel thing, was it incompetence on XCOMs part that caused the council to panic, bad luck, or just plain corruption within the council?

There was a fan theory that I always kind of liked that said that XCOM was a "Worst of the Best" sort of deal, in that the nations that make up the council aren't contributing their absolute best because they want to hedge their bets, which makes XCOM not as effective as it ultimately could be.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So for the people who read that XCOM 2 prequel novel thing, was it incompetence on XCOMs part that caused the council to panic, bad luck, or just plain corruption within the council?

There was a fan theory that I always kind of liked that said that XCOM was a "Worst of the Best" sort of deal, in that the nations that make up the council aren't contributing their absolute best because they want to hedge their bets, which makes XCOM not as effective as it ultimately could be.

From what people have been saying, I'm assuming corruption.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Coolguye posted:

I am in a particularly good mood right now, so I'm going to give you a straight answer. For background, I am a computer programmer with about 10 years' experience and have done a fair bit of hobbyist game development. I'm exactly the sort of person you want on your side.

I'm here to tell you that places like that don't exist. Not just on SA, but anywhere. Here's why:

Smart, creative people are busy. Or, more accurately, precisely as busy as they want to be. They're in high demand from not just you, but from everyone. Smarts and creativity are worth a lot of money, so smart, creative people tend to have no problem going out there and turning that those smarts and creativity into money. When they are done doing that, they have no more energy to critique other peoples' ideas, which are lovely ideas the vast majority of the time. This includes your idea in its current incarnation. Your idea, as it stands right now, is completely generic, lovely, and rehashed.

Can it be made better? Of course - one of the most beloved CRPGs of the 90s, Arcanum, incorporates a lot of the sorts of things you're touching on. It just does it in a way more coherent, understandable, and fertile way than you ever have. The catch of it is, nobody is just going to plop down and help you do that. You need to get people interested. You do that, chiefly, through showing you can hustle and are willing to find problems and solve them.

You have not done one loving scrap of actual work on your asinine game idea. At the 'sound bite' version, as a listener, I have to know why your idea is awesome and what your unfair advantage is. By which I mean, what is the thing you've figured out that nobody else has yet? If you don't have those things there and if they're not compelling (your demons and magic idea is the least compelling thing I've heard in a year), then you won't get even ten seconds of my time. Once you have my attention, you need to have a well thought out mission statement - stuff like a full scope, a detailed and preferably documented example of the execution, and ready answers to any questions I have. This requires dozens upon dozens of hours of thought and it's your responsibility and your responsibility alone to do that thinking because if you can't prove to me that you can work for your goal then I'm going to write you off as one of the thousands of morons who have a mediocre idea on the toilet and don't realize that the poo poo isn't just coming from their assholes. And even after that, you THEN have to know who you're selling to and be able to cite to me examples of why you think you're going to be successful. Otherwise all I'm going to think is that we're gonna make the best game that nobody gives a poo poo about. I have companies offering me hundreds of thousands of dollars to build their dreams. I have ideas of my own that I reasonably think are going to make me even more money than that. THAT is what you're competing against to get even a single brain cycle out of my head.

And when you ask for bullshit like this, you just confirm my image of you as a lazy, slack-jawed idiot who has absolutely no idea how hard making something from scratch is. You don't even want to do the work to refine your idea or recruit your team. You want everyone else to do that for you. How am I supposed to believe that you have the guts to work 8 hours after a long day pushing a priority through or the diligence to stay focused when things look bleak? Let alone all the other qualities that would make me want to work with you over any of the other 3 dozen people who are filling my email box with requests for help for pay at any one time? Humility, ambition, cleverness, excitement? You are failing before you even get onto the ball field because instead of showing up in a jersey and cleats, you're showing up naked and barefoot!

In short, go do your own loving work before you even think about showing up and asking me to do any work for you. It's insulting to me as a professional if you show up not even half assing it like this because you think my time is so colossally worthless that I have nothing better to do than to spend it counselling your rear end. Come up with some real mechanics, walk me through a fight, have a story to tell me! Treat me like someone you value working with, even if you don't know me that well. It'll show me that you know what work is. You shitpost quarter-baked ideas on forums like this and I know conclusively that you've never done a full day's work in your worthless life - and if you can't work, I've got no interest in working with you.
Wow.
I don't know if I should cry, run, or say "I don't think that classifies as a good mood.".
Um... I'm sorry?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's basically no way it's not going to be MECs judging by the DLC description.

I'm not ruling out MECs considering what Firaxis thought would surprise people as a fifth class, but it would be silly not only on the PR front, but because from comments amineri made on r/xcom it seems in addition to the shared MEC animations, they also included all the MEC voicesets, along with all the EU/EW icons for abilities and what not as well in the mod assets.

Like I expect it to be something cybernetic-related but not actually MECs as they were in EU/EW, since that would just lead to the path of the self-inflicted own since everybody would just download the MEC class mod instead of paying seven bucks or whatever they plan on charging for the DLC individually.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It looks like you can choose some exo-suit looking things as customization options but they're only cosmetic? I assume there must be some kind of research/engineering development along those lines, though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:chanpop:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It looks like you can choose some exo-suit looking things as customization options but they're only cosmetic? I assume there must be some kind of research/engineering development along those lines, though.

The exo suit is a mundane armor type you can develop. Lets you carry a heavy weapon like a rocket launcher or flamethrower. The other armor types give you a second accessory slot or a grappling hook.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't finished it yet but in the prologue Bradford implies that it was a betrayal, one of the Council nations rolled over on XCOM to try and protect themselves. It wasn't like the game over in EU where the project gets shut down by the Council, XCOM HQ gets raided by the aliens super-early and that's when the Commander was captured.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Junpei posted:

Wow.
I don't know if I should cry, run, or say "I don't think that classifies as a good mood.".
Um... I'm sorry?
Read between the lines there. Learn to code. Python or whatever, see if you're up to it. You may not be, considering your age and the persistence programming takes, but if you are, make something.
It's gonna be poo poo nobody is going to care about but you. It's going to be so simple it barely qualifies as a game. But it may set you on a path towards one day making a game people do give a poo poo about.
Which is more than posting your latest ideas every week is going to accomplish. That's just turning you into a joke (see also: the OP).

Also, holy poo poo Coolguye.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Junpei posted:

Wow.
Um... I'm sorry?

If you want to develop such ideas, start looking into table top games/RPGs. Turn the ideas into a game you play with your friends. Draw out maps, get rules systems to support your ideas, and see what works and what is broken. It will likely never be a published game, but if you have fun with it, who gives a poo poo? It will also give you some insight into systems, and how one change over here can break something over there, if you can wrap your mind about it. The current devs for XCom started, I believe, by making a table top game. you can see it with the grid system and the dice rolls to see if you hit or not, as well as the hp/damage system.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Wizard Styles posted:

Read between the lines there. Learn to code. Python or whatever, see if you're up to it. You may not be, considering your age and the persistence programming takes, but if you are, make something.
It's gonna be poo poo nobody is going to care about but you. It's going to be so simple it barely qualifies as a game. But it may set you on a path towards one day making a game people do give a poo poo about.
Which is more than posting your latest ideas every week is going to accomplish. That's just turning you into a joke (see also: the OP).
Thanks. Still in middle school, but I'll take a programming course or two in high school and college.

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, holy poo poo Coolguye.
Yeah, if that's his good mood I'd hate to see his bad mood.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
You know what I want after reading the synopsis for the novel?

A volcanic base tileset. It's something I didn't know I wanted until now.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

winterwerefox posted:

If you want to develop such ideas, start looking into table top games/RPGs. Turn the ideas into a game you play with your friends. Draw out maps, get rules systems to support your ideas, and see what works and what is broken. It will likely never be a published game, but if you have fun with it, who gives a poo poo? It will also give you some insight into systems, and how one change over here can break something over there, if you can wrap your mind about it. The current devs for XCom started, I believe, by making a table top game. you can see it with the grid system and the dice rolls to see if you hit or not, as well as the hp/damage system.
Also a good idea.

Seriously Junpei, just shut the gently caress up and do something with your ideas.
The first thing you do isn't going to set the world on fire but there's going to be a final product and the experience gained from and fun involved in making it. Don't make plans for huge fan game projects, just jump in and do some small project for yourself.
Or you'll find out along the way that actually developing a game is not something you're up to right now, and then you'll at least know that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bradford is my friend and I am glad he is back, its good to see your friends again.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Junpei posted:

Thanks. Still in middle school, but I'll take a programming course or two in high school and college.
If you want to get started now there are resources all over the web. Coursera, Codecademy, whatever. Not that you need to learn to code right away of course, but if you want to there are enough places where you can learn on your own.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Wizard Styles posted:

Seriously Junpei, just shut the gently caress up and do something with your ideas.
The first thing you do isn't going to set the world on fire but there's going to be a final product and the experience gained from and fun involved in making it. Don't make plans for huge fan game projects, just jump in and do some small project for yourself.
Or you'll find out along the way that actually developing a game is not something you're up to right now, and then you'll at least know that.

Well, I naturally think in big ideas, so it'll be hard to shrink down, but I'll try. Thanks everyone.
Now, about those snaketits, I heard that Vipers don't just come to you, they bring you to them! Better than any girl I've met.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Junpei posted:

Watch his LPs. His good moods generally involve doing grievous bodily harm to near-endless waves of poncy-space elves. Or being an all around horrible person in Dishonored.

(they're also really good LPs)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Junpei posted:

This just proves you weren't interested in the answer to begin with, dude. You are competing against some serious players to even get a single brain cycle out of my head. You got more than a few of them in my answer to you, which is honestly a lot more than anyone else in either of your threads has given you. Have you never had a coach in, like, anything? They don't yell at you because they hate you, they yell at you because they know you can do better. If they ignore you, that's the really bad poo poo.

If I were in a bad mood, you would've gotten another no-effort shitpost, or nothing at all. And you'd continue to waddle around not knowing anything.

Or we can do it like this, where you get truthbombs dropped on you and you don't absorb a single thing. We could do that too. Whatever, by tomorrow I'll be too busy to do anything but laugh at you again.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please don't use truthbombs unironically

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

PBS Newshour posted:

Bradford is my friend and I am glad he is back, its good to see your friends again.

No sweater. That's not my Bradford. :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How does the damage of a truthbomb compare to a blaster bomb

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When does this poo poo preload? Its going to take 5 days to download.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

to junpei or to normal people

this is important

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

+1-2 against thin men because they're liars, -1-2 on everything else

hire me jake

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Coolguye posted:

This just proves you weren't interested in the answer to begin with, dude. You are competing against some serious players to even get a single brain cycle out of my head. You got more than a few of them in my answer to you, which is honestly a lot more than anyone else in either of your threads has given you. Have you never had a coach in, like, anything? They don't yell at you because they hate you, they yell at you because they know you can do better. If they ignore you, that's the really bad poo poo.

If I were in a bad mood, you would've gotten another no-effort shitpost, or nothing at all. And you'd continue to waddle around not knowing anything.

Or we can do it like this, where you get truthbombs dropped on you and you don't absorb a single thing. We could do that too. Whatever, by tomorrow I'll be too busy to do anything but laugh at you again.

Geez, I'm sorry already, let it go!
I wonder if age can be customized on a soldier, allowing you to make teenage or elderly soldiers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Who wants to play my baby xcom mod, not only are the soldiers babies, but there are cute baby versions of all the aliens

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

To get our minds off Junpei, have some art

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

RandallODim posted:

No sweater. That's not my Bradford. :colbert:
The sweater took one for Bradford.

Every day when Bradford drowns his sorrows, he pours one out for that sweater and asks the universe "why did they take my sweater, while I only suffered fourth degree burns?"

There will never be another sweater for Bradford. :smith:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Rougey posted:

Every day when Bradford drowns his sorrows, he pours one out for that sweater and asks the universe "why did they take my sweater, while I only suffered fourth degree burns?"

The sweater had a restraining chip to act against his bloodthirst but he asked Vahlen to deactivate the inhibitors. The true Bradford is a man who would chew out a live alien's eyes.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

PBS Newshour posted:

Who wants to play my baby xcom mod, not only are the soldiers babies, but there are cute baby versions of all the aliens

how dare you try to waste my time with your bad idea, you lazy poo poo, you don't deserve a moment of my thought with how little work you're willing to put in and furthermore

Rougey posted:

I just want clean-cut sweater Bradford back. I don't even care about the voice. Just give me the sweater mod.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 31, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RandallODim posted:

how dare you try to waste my time with your bad idea, you lazy poo poo, you don't deserve a moment of my thought with how little work you're willing to put in and furthermore

The interrogation chamber would be one giant crib.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

PBS Newshour posted:

how dark are the babys capps??

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rougey posted:

I'm already a demon Bradford

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The ending of the game after you've kicked all the aliens off the planet is Bradford saying "Commander... we're back" as he puts the sweater back on.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Junpei, I was like you once. Full of self-proclaimed fantastic ideas and only needing people to turn my dreams into reality.

I was in high school when I first tried recruiting for a project as an ideas guy. I got laughed out of the forum and thankfully, one of the people there imparted wisdom to me. He said that it's never enough to be an ideas guy, especially when you don't have any proof that you can deliver. You have to work toward it. Draw characters, do simple coding, show people that you're willing to work but know you don't have every necessary skillset.

This doesn't mean make a lovely game with a ton of placeholder art; it means make the most of your abilities on your own and if people can perceive your ability and drive, they will follow. You're never too young to learn and never too old to begin. The only person who is going to stop you from making it a reality is yourself. Look at it in the same way as someone trying to lose weight. You need to overcome the haters. You need to fight against the part of you that doesn't want to work hard. You need to be ready to struggle. People don't just stumble into a perfect game concept or team. Indie dev is in one of the best places ever right now, you have loads of free tools, free tutorials, and post-mortem reports. Grab ahold of your future and make it into whatever you can dream of. It's cliche, but what ARE you waiting for? Tomorrow becomes next week, which becomes next month, which becomes next year, which becomes never because you don't have the lack of responsibility to take risks anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pwnstar posted:

The ending of the game after you've kicked all the aliens off the planet is Bradford saying "Commander... we're back" as he puts the sweater back on.

wasn't it, like, a cardigan

I mean we might as well get the details right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

busb posted:

how dark are the babys capps??

Also the babies would just use the same voice packs as the adult verisons.

Also my name is PBS, capps is dead.