Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Danaru posted:

To be fair, imagine if the one time you saw one of the aliens in public, he looked like this:

It would probably be a bit easier to buy into the resistance's propaganda about aliens being evil

Obvious terrifying monster aliens like Berserkers/Chryssalids/Faceless/Gatekeepers are probably out but I was under the impression that seeing Sexy Sectoids, Vipers, Archons, and other less overtly terrifying aliens just chilling around was a pretty normal thing in ADVENT cities. Andromedons would probably be OK too because they're in fully encased powersuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
RE: total conversion mods, if there was a WH40k mod, I might actually prefer to play as the Imperial Guard than SPESS MEHREENS. I mean sure, that might play too similarly to normal XCOM to some people, but I dunno I just like IG.

Or just make a Starship Troopers mod. "Hey you have 30 grunts with assault rifles. Here's 500 chryssalids arachnids. Come on, do you wanna live forever?!" *Klendathu Drop starts playing* :unsmigghh:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kanos posted:

Obvious terrifying monster aliens like Berserkers/Chryssalids/Faceless/Gatekeepers are probably out but I was under the impression that seeing Sexy Sectoids, Vipers, Archons, and other less overtly terrifying aliens just chilling around was a pretty normal thing in ADVENT cities. Andromedons would probably be OK too because they're in fully encased powersuits.

For some reason this made me think of a Pectoid and Viper skipping around an Advent park, hand in hand.

I don't know how the Viper was skipping.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Kanos posted:

This is the only part that seems odd to me. Weren't stuff like Archons deliberately developed to be visually appealing/non-terrifying to the general populace in order to facilitate occupation? If ADVENT troopers are the only thing the public sees regularly, why would they bother designing propaganda aliens instead of going full Monster Mash?

Also Thin Men being allowed to return to their original Viper forms instead of remaining as human-esque infiltrators doesn't mesh with that, either.

I'm going to say seeing a Thin man failing to replicate the human form is probably way creepier to most of the civilian populace, than a snake lady.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm going to say seeing a Thin man failing to replicate the human form is probably way creepier to most of the civilian populace, than a snake lady.

I could see Thin Men passing just fine for normal(albeit intensely unpleasant looking) people when they're not doing super creepy Thin Men things like hissing, bending their limbs at impossible angles, or leaping incredible heights. There are a lot of super ugly/creepy looking people in the world and Thin Men are at least snappily dressed.

A giant cobra-headed snake lady with boob armor is a little bit less subtle.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Junpei posted:

Wow.
I don't know if I should cry, run, or say "I don't think that classifies as a good mood.".
Um... I'm sorry?

Junpei, just so you know that post was a good and informative post and you can learn a lot from it.

The ideas you persistently post about are not so well received because of those sorts of reasons. While it may be fun now and then to talk about this stuff, the qualifier is the now and then part.

I'd much prefer it if you concentrated on existing XCOM mechanics and so forth. You are doing better but you still have a way to go.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phrosphor posted:

That's all the major info. Anything specific people would like me to go over just ask.

Nah that's cool man, you already made me buy the drat book

:negative:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kanos posted:

This is the only part that seems odd to me. Weren't stuff like Archons deliberately developed to be visually appealing/non-terrifying to the general populace in order to facilitate occupation? If ADVENT troopers are the only thing the public sees regularly, why would they bother designing propaganda aliens instead of going full Monster Mash?

They probably trot out the Archons for "Victory day" parades etc. Going by the book, ADVENT is doing a decent job vs the resistance with their basic troops, and meeting a rare alien is a big deal for the resistance, so Vipers and Pectoids are probably used/seen very rarely. Towards the end of the book the aliens start finding out XCOM is still around and up to something so they start fielding more aliens so the number of aliens we see in the early game leading patrols and stuff is probably a new level of escalation on the alien's part where security starts to take precedence over the friendly face.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I can't wait to see X-COM LIVES! Slogans on the walls of cities.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stream is up, midnight stream whoooo!

I'm gonna be feeling it in the morning, but it's gonna be worth it (probably).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
First review I've seen: 94/100 from PC Gamer

EDIT:
Eurogamer: ESSENTIAL
RPS: "...a classic in its own right and as good a sequel as I can remember."
Polygon: 9/10
GameInformer: 9.5/10

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 1, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Kins posted:

First review I've seen: 94/100 from PC Gamer

they gave EW 85/100 for the record

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
"Plant X4", because we're indie and we need all the branded-merchandise money we can get.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
I'm really glad a lot of the missions have timers now in some way, and I hope people can get past the tiptoeing gameplay of EU And enjoy it. To me the timer is less about pressure and more about making turns and movement meaningful and not a samey safe slog.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I'm torn between staying a virgin and watching Beagle's stream.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Colapops posted:

That's a weird fetish.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

In one of the trailers, the dude making the propaganda speech was a thin man. He had the weird neck stuff and was wearing sunglasses to cover his eyes, even.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Colapops posted:

He isn't skipping cutscenes which stopped me from watching. Same with his YouTube series he just started, all the cutscenes are in.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Yeah but!! Right now he's just doing the early game stuff we've seen, and he has Putin van Doorn. It's so tempting.

edit: he's also pitting the Russian members of the chat against the Ukrainian members of the chat with Putin van Doorn vs. Ukrainian President Lincoln.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 1, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sharzak posted:

How come people are so hyped for this? Is it purely based off of the last one? I liked the last one, only finished it once though. People are acting like this is going to be earth-shattering.

I enjoyed the last one a lot. Plus they've apparently fixed most of the things that bugged me (random maps, all your overwatch dudes don't fire at the first target). Plus great mod support for a sperg game will mean the game will have a long shelf life. Also I am sexually aroused by snakes with breasts.

halwain
May 31, 2011
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/xcom-2-review/ 7.5
The Ugly I missed a 95% shot? Seriously? :allears:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm going to force myself not to save scum, might even play Ironman

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

halwain posted:

Isn't this the site that destroyed their credibility with their Colonial Marines review...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So glad I took Friday off for this.

halwain posted:

:xcom:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Beagle has a spoiler full L&L set up now-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlbzFtX3Gtc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubIofm1rpU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Bradford sits alone in the bar, drinking alone and talking to himself. That's truly X-Com.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I thought this was out tomorrow but it's out Friday :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not sure if my laptop can handle the game (intel HD4400 ) but I picked up the delux version anyway. I'll be upgrading my machine in a few months regardless, so might as well get the awesome goodies attached to it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

halwain posted:

haha this is precious

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I'm still fighting over the immediate purchase vs wait for a few playtests from beagle

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

RattiRatto posted:

I'm still fighting over the immediate purchase vs wait for a few playtests from beagle

This might be for you then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlbzFtX3Gtc

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh sweet jesus Beagle is completely insane.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I wonder how long it will take for a mod that puts the game in the Half-Life universe to come out. Seems like it would be ripe for a resistance vs. combine total conversion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Josef bugman posted:

Playing on Legendary, and still making suboptimal decisions for roleplaying reasons. I love it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Josef bugman posted:

Chat went apeshit because they didn't know about MIAs and rescues, I did and still thought he'd gone nuts.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Bradford is seriously making me question my sexuality right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Haha, and he lost all of his equipment too, just in time for the terror mission. Glorious.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He keeps making MGSV references, I love it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Missed an hour or two from the stream, so do we know what the "anti beaglerush strategy" is now?

edit: If he lets Gusev die, i'm gonna unsub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Missed an hour or two from the stream, so do we know what the "anti beaglerush strategy" is now?

Enemies have a chance to just fire on an exposed target on activation, meaning you can do it but you might lose your bait.