Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

F1 needs more drivers like Montoya and Pastor and less like Hulkenberg and Magnussen.

i actually unironically agree. neither maldonado nor magnussen will ever win a world title, give the seat to the more entertaining of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Reminder that the bad team dropped Montoya half way through the season because he crashed too much according to them, when he was actually driving his heart out and just had a lil bit bad luck just like Pastor.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Montoya is a good driver. What's he have in common with pastor?

They are both good drivers.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Hulk won Le Mans though, not something Hamilton or Vettel or Webber can say

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

i actually unironically agree. neither maldonado nor magnussen will ever win a world title, give the seat to the more entertaining of the two.

I wish it was Mag and Pastor at Renault. The Danishman is pretty good, they need one guy to bring the car home and another to entertain.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

geonetix posted:

Sports car racing is the home of the rejected midfield F1 driver.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That gif explains more than anything why that moron shouldn't be in F1. Good riddance.

That car was a pile.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

be nice wicka posted:

I also unironically agree with this as well.

Even if you think Maldonado was bad/terrible he's not he loving had personality and a driving style that wasn't dictated by some computer algorithm that determines the exact point to lift and coast through every corner for optimal fuel savings.

The man was loving exciting to watch drive and the last time you could say that about any driver other than him on a consistent basis was Alonso in 2012.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wish it was Mag and Pastor at Renault. The Danishman is pretty good, they need one guy to bring the car home and another to entertain.

jolyon palmer strikes me as the new max chilton. also you've seemingly forgotten 2014, where magnussen was simultaneously boring and unable to complete a pass without hitting the other driver.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

That car was a pile.

So? "Oh I'm understeering badly in one of the longestcorners in F1, let me just wiggle the wheel a bit and keep the foot in it". That wasn't 'pushing limits', that was completely ignoring them. He wasn't even close to making that corner and had loads of time to get out of a bad situation, but didn't.
Again, he would never have been in F1, if it hadn't been for his oil money.

Montoya had talent, at least. He may not have had the emotional control necessary, but at least he could drive and for the most part, keep the car pointed the right direction. His biggest failing was suffering badly from victim mentality. Had he been able to control that, he would probably have won a WDC or two.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Just for your information there is this thing called snap oversteer that frequently happens when mid rear engined racing cars are built on a shoestring budget.

Any number of things could've caused that accident. Especially on the lotus cars where every loving thing was breaking repeatedly and parts were used well past their service life.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

jolyon palmer strikes me as the new max chilton. also you've seemingly forgotten 2014, where magnussen was simultaneously boring and unable to complete a pass without hitting the other driver.

I basically remember Magnussen in Australia and, uh...well I guess you are right about him being Heidfeld mark II.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
This is the same company that brought in Fast Heikki to fill up Alonso's seat.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

This is the same company that brought in Fast Heikki to fill up Alonso's seat.

This is the same company who employed Giancarlo Fisichella for years and years, far more damning

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

geonetix posted:

He did like 30% of the work in that race. It's a really generous number considering the car he was in. Maldonado did 100% of the work when he won the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

geonetix posted:

Webber flew Le Mans which makes it more glorious than winning.

Also, doesn't Pastor have the same amount of wins than Are Brundle?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

He did like 30% of the work in that race. It's a really generous number considering the car he was in. Maldonado did 100% of the work when he won the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

You've got to give a decent chunk of the work for that win to McLaren, honestly.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Webber flew Le Mans which makes it more glorious than winning.

Also, doesn't Pastor have the same amount of wins than Are Brundle?

no

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Brundle never won.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Just for your information there is this thing called snap oversteer that frequently happens when mid rear engined racing cars are built on a shoestring budget.

Any number of things could've caused that accident. Especially on the lotus cars where every loving thing was breaking repeatedly and parts were used well past their service life.
Don't be silly. He understeers all the way out on the green painted areas where the rear tires finally decides they'd had enough. Sure, it 'snaps', but that's because he pushed it out where there was no grip.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

You've got to give a decent chunk of the work for that win to McLaren, honestly.

Ehh I don't know. I'll give them some credit but McLaren was always going to gently caress up with Sam Michael in charge.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Brundle is a le mans winner and one of the finest mid field drivers of his day.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
At least we all still have the best driver, Sebastian Vettel driving for the best team. Scuderia Ferrari.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

Montoya is a good driver. What's he have in common with pastor?
From the same country.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I basically remember Magnussen in Australia and, uh...well I guess you are right about him being Heidfeld mark II.

I'll never forget him constantly sniffing at decent results and then getting penalized

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Don't be silly. He understeers all the way out on the green painted areas where the rear tires finally decides they'd had enough. Sure, it 'snaps', but that's because he pushed it out where there was no grip.

He realized how boring the race was and courageously decided to crash his car to give the fans some excitement.

Pastor MWDC every year.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Pastor is just tired of all the racism he gets thrown every day by F1 fans so he's going to race in NASCAR this year.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I feel bad for Jolyon because people won't realize his true potential now

Pastor would have been a much tougher nut to crack but beating him would have proved he's a future WDC. Beating Magnussen only proves that you're not the worst driver in the grid.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

Pastor is just tired of all the racism he gets thrown every day by F1 fans so he's going to race in NASCAR this year.

A car built for a driver like pastor.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

El Hefe posted:

He's tired of racism so he's going to go to race in a more racist series.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would genuinely like to see Maldo in NASCAR. That could be great.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Formula 1 race winner Pastor Maldonado is a great driver and I hope we see him again in 2017. I'd even tolerate Ferrari if he were to drive for them (and beat Vettel's rear end).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

the foreign drivers who've joined nascar have been generally very well-liked

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

be nice wicka posted:

the foreign drivers who've joined nascar have been generally very well-liked

Its almost like americans are the friendly, welcoming ones. Why do we let some old rear end european run this awesome sport again?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pastor was a legend, and a proven race winner. Magnussen is so boring that he might as well be in the Red Bull system. Bad move.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Renault will need to unveil an top notch retro livery to impress me at this point.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

While it's understeering out wide, it's periodically breaking away at the rear, I see him catching the car from looping 4 times before he finally loses it. Still fraudulent driving though - your point stands.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

Goodnight sweet prince.

This actually killed Alonso.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
If Mclaren are still dogshit and Mercedes still have the best car by a country mile I'm not even gonna bother watching the races tbqh

hopefully at least Ferrari get their poo poo together because these last 2 seasons have been loving awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

El Hefe posted:

hopefully at least Ferrari get their poo poo together

they wont have

hes on contract

• Locked thread