Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Mr. Carlisle posted:

My old man brain can't keep track of all of these gimmicks

i'm still real to me, damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

You've lost track of your own, brother.

Creative has nothing for me :(

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

keevo posted:

Seeing a picture of Mick Foley in a wheelchair at Disneyland makes me really sad despite how happy he looks. :smith:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBOh461JExI

Here's a pic of him risking his life on the Mine Train to cheer you up then :unsmith:

https://www.facebook.com/RealMickFoley/photos/a.150133228350157.28288.126269440736536/1223566304340172

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

keevo posted:

Seeing a picture of Mick Foley in a wheelchair at Disneyland makes me really sad despite how happy he looks. :smith:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBOh461JExI

He's old and has a lot of injuries. It's probably his bad hips making it hard to walk the miles needed to see a theme park.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

:unsmith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wrestling injuries may take his mobility

But they'll never take his smile.:unsmith:

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Wrestling injuries may take his mobility

But they'll never take his smile.:unsmith:

Well, some of it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

he's just heeling his way to the front of the line marks

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird how much WWE glorifies the Attitude Era but actively avoids anything that made it work, like unstructured scripts, ad-libbing, and fans allowed to have fun.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

It's weird how much WWE glorifies the Attitude Era but actively avoids anything that made it work, like unstructured scripts, ad-libbing, and fans allowed to have fun.

It's easy to ignore what works for the fans when you don't actually give a poo poo if they're enjoying your product or not

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

sticklefifer posted:

Also chairshots to the head and crotchchops.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also chairshots to the head and crotchchops.

HHH is bringing the chops back

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Marquis de Pyro posted:

HHH is bringing the chops back

he's just a mark for the Bucks

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
There's an anecdote in Foley's first book about cutting a line at a theme park and everybody in the line recognising him and cheering.

It's my favourite story about a wrestler.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Foley's first book is just a fantastic read top to bottom, I haven't gotten around to his others though

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Foley's first book is just a fantastic read top to bottom, I haven't gotten around to his others though

The second book, Foley Is Good, is just as great. Hardcore Diaries is eh, and Countdown to Lockdown is terrible.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

sticklefifer posted:

The only thing that the WWE could really use from the Attitude Era is highly visible, charismatic characters and established stakes. Everything you list was actually terrible. The booking was mostly terrible. The workrate was even worse. We don't need any of that again.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The second one is really good. I never got around to reading the other two.

Also, I tweeted at him about how much I enjoyed his first book and he sent me a nice DM, whilst we're on the Mick Foley is a good dude train.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hardcore Diaries has some pretty good stuff, but I love when he gets all huffy because Vince won't agree to a 20 minute Raw segment featuring Terry Funk biting Vince's personal areas.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I genuinely think Foley is the greatest of all time

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

a retard posted:

The second book, Foley Is Good, is just as great. Hardcore Diaries is eh, and Countdown to Lockdown is terrible.

Countdown to Lockdown was about his time in TNA, so it's only natural that it sucks compared to his other work(s).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

I genuinely think Foley is the greatest of all time

I mean me too, but like that's not mutually exclusive from thinking some of his ideas for the ONS 2006 feud were dumb.

The actual matches (Vs Edge at Mania, with Edge vs Funk/Dreamer) were super good though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

a retard posted:

People always forget the crappy fiction book he wrote, Titeam Brown or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

flashy_mcflash posted:

People always forget the crappy fiction book he wrote, Titeam Brown or something.

I remember tearing through Have a Nice Day and Foley is Good and then picking this up thinking "Mick's a great writer, this is going to be awesome!".

It was really, really not.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean me too, but like that's not mutually exclusive from thinking some of his ideas for the ONS 2006 feud were dumb.

The actual matches (Vs Edge at Mania, with Edge vs Funk/Dreamer) were super good though.

Yeah I wasn't arguing with anyone just saying

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

Really? I never read it but I thought it got good reviews or something.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I never read it but it's considered an interesting failure at best, he admitted as such in some Slate essay he wrote in response to the Wrestler movie (bullet points: got indie locker rooms right, not enough focus on the salad days of the Ram's career, Mickey Rourke's suplex looks pretty good)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Scooter is a funny name for a book

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It's not great, but Tietam Brown is not the worst book ever written. It is definitely very, very weird, though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also like a quarter of foley is good is research foley did to defend the wwf when it was at its raunchiest and under fire seemingly every week so be aware of that. Also be aware that some of his defenses presented are tenuous at best

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The first book was extremely good, the second book was pretty good, and the Hardcore Diaries was Melina-and-Mick fanfiction

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I actually really liked tietam Brown. It wasn't high art, but it was such a bizarre,dark, and interesting book that it really does deserve to be read.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

If you've never listened to the Have a Nice Day audiobook you really should. Mick does accents for all the other people and it's hilarious, he even makes some of the sound people crack up at one point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ShootaBoy posted:

If you've never listened to the Have a Nice Day audiobook you really should. Mick does accents for all the other people and it's hilarious, he even makes some of the sound people crack up at one point.

I gave up on Have a Nice Day after a few chapters but it'd probably be a fun audio book.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

The only thing that the WWE could really use from the Attitude Era is highly visible, charismatic characters and established stakes. Everything you list was actually terrible. The booking was mostly terrible. The workrate was even worse. We don't need any of that again.

You're right, fans having fun is terrible.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I have Mick Foley's Christmas Chaos, his kids Christmas book from 1999. It's pretty great and is extremely 1999.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Giving the performers the latitude to shape their own storylines within broad parameters and organically develop their character's voice is not terrible.

If the performer continues to be trash at that, get them a mouthpiece or send them to developmental or make them Dixie's problem.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

projecthalaxy posted:

I have Mick Foley's Christmas Chaos, his kids Christmas book from 1999. It's pretty great and is extremely 1999.

I have his Halloween one. It's awesome.

My copy of Have a nice day is also autographed.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I liked Tietam Brown enough to bring it with me when I had the chance to meet him. It is good, but so loving weird like most here have said.

Never did read Scooter though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Tietam Brown was an odd but interesting read, and it's a book I'm really glad I read, along with Have a Nice Day and Foley is Good.

I never read Hardcore Diaries or Countdown to Lockdown, so I'm 3-for-3 on Mick Foley books that I really enjoyed reading. Have a Nice Day I just devoured, it was so great.