Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

who is a TRUE BELIEVER who has posted ITT but hasn't come around? Ingloska seemed optimistic for awhile if iirc and Loliisslolosho I think gave up on it? Octopode IDFK what his opinion is anymore.

I actually want the game to come out and be good but I think the devs are a bunch of chucklefucks who will piss this project away by next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

sure, I can do it, if I can do that without a paid account

IF someone finds me the lowtax post while I log in and try to find his poo poo
This one? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=1602&perpage=40#post455652872

TommyNoble's profile: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/FgnToNo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
nvm

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Lethality is not a dumb guy. He's been lied to by assholes and then dwelt only in the hugbox created by said assholes. Here however there are no hugs, only goons. *kicks Leth into the deep end*

Godspeed goon sire

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Hey man,

I'm just a random goon on the SA thread regarding this whole thing. You made very salient points with regards to star marine, and many of us on the SA Forums thought you would be a welcome addition to the discussion.

While I realize you have not been banned from the RSI forums, it seems that every day, more and more voices of concern are squashed by Huckaby and Lesnick. Lowtax, the owner of SA, has offered sanctuary for any banned from the RSI Forums:

"I will gift free forum accounts to folks who were banned from RSI. I mean, obviously I'm going to take it on a case by case basis, but I am putting the offer out there. Email me at webmaster@somethingawful.com with your story."

Regardless of your status on the RSI forums, consider an SA forums account, and join in the discussion. We talk an ABSURD amount of poo poo, but it's all in good fun!

There is precedence that the sending of this message may result in my account being banned. If it is, in fact, banned, then consider if the RSI forums are truly a place to express yourself, and your frustrations with the process.

C U IN THE VERSE COMMANDO!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the message i sent, for posterity. I hope i get banned because I don't think it was crazy

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Toops posted:

Does anyone know who made the "Goonrathi RamPaaaarp" 3d model?

https://sketchfab.com/models/01e3a1615d794f02971b3b73940483e9

If you know who, or you are that magnificent person, I'd love to get my hands on it for a little project I'm working on, preferably in a format that can be imported into Unity (below). PM me if you're down.

If anyone else wants to pitch in with the below types of 3d models for this lil' project, PM me and I'll give you the skin-skin.
- ships (that have clear/glass cockpits)
- space things
- space ports
- planets/stars
- space rocks/asteroids
- skymaps (stars/space)
- space mans and womans
- non-space related things that would be funny
- maybe an airhorn
- definitely an airhorn.

If you do animation too and want to make a janky bobblehead space idiot, check out the unity humanoid skeleton

Compatible formats:
- fbx
- obj
- dae
- 3ds
- dxf

Thanks in advance, in the present, and forevermore.

This must be one of those "Goon Projects" I've heard about, I would be delighted to participate :v:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lethality I'm not trying to be mean but you come across like a psycho with brain problems on twitter. Again, I know that sounds mean but It's the truth. Tone it down like 3 or 4 notches and you're good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys this game is free this week? Should I play it? Is it as unapproachable as Eve? Is it as boring as Elite Dangerous? Is all the meta-drama surrounding this thing more entertaining than the actual product? Do we have a referral chain going anywhere?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zero VGS posted:

Is all the meta-drama surrounding this thing more entertaining than the actual product?

This, it's this one.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Zero VGS posted:

Is all the meta-drama surrounding this thing more entertaining than the actual product?

yes. yes. a million times yes.

But yea, its free-fly week and you should give it a try, and report your results. :)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
drama wins by default as there is no product

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Should I play it?

no

Zero VGS posted:

yes

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I actually want the game to come out and be good but I think the devs are a bunch of chucklefucks who will piss this project away by next year.

Literally same.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

BluestreakBTHR posted:

It's from when Sandi was e-stalking me via email.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

as usual it's the funny little things that seem to annoy the backers. from the 104TC today, regarding ships not having a uniform docking system, which to me smacks of poor planning and bad game design but is handwaved away as "oh they're different manufacturers":

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316573/can-t-dock-between-different-manufactures

quote:

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by this. Hell, during the Cold War even the US and USSR's spacecraft could dock.

quote:

Sounds stupid, you'd think that the docking port by the year SC is set it would be a set standard by all UEE ships, and even some alien ships that have heaps of contact with UEE would have the same standard.

To me sound like a load of !@#!, that not all UEE ships can't dock with different UEE ship manufactures. As noted above yes could understand non-UEE contacted alien races requiring docking collars to make a seal, but UEE to UEE, that's just the stupidest thing I've every heard to-date.

quote:

Loooooooooooooool. Guess boarding isn't going to be happening after all.

quote:

I think by allow ships to dock with a fabric adapter they would save time on trying to fit a real docking collar on a ship. It could be compact in the hull.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zero VGS posted:

Hey guys this game is free this week? Should I play it? Is it as unapproachable as Eve? Is it as boring as Elite Dangerous?

It combines the best of both worlds: the depth of Elite¹ and the needless complexity and whinging carebears of EVE.

¹ Not really. Elite has several orders of magnitude more stuff to do if you start looking for it — I'm more comparing to the popular image it has acquired.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

But yea, its free-fly week and you should give it a try, and report your results. :)

You are a very mean and horrible person to trick someone so cruelly.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

some citizens will feel grief equal to a rape victim when you ram your video game space ship into them lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Zero VGS posted:

Hey guys this game is free this week? Should I play it? Is it as unapproachable as Eve? Is it as boring as Elite Dangerous? Is all the meta-drama surrounding this thing more entertaining than the actual product? Do we have a referral chain going anywhere?
1) Star Citizen is free fly (tho it may be over by now)

2) It is more approachable than Eve. In fact it's probably one of the most approachable games out there right now. You will spend most of your time in game approaching something. Get out of bed every time you die, spend six minutes in generic sci-fi space halls running to approach your ship. Get in your ship, spend a minute flying, get at your destination, exit ship, spend 5 more minutes approaching a button you must push. Get ready for the Approachening.

3) Elite is like the above with planetary landings, fantastic flight controls, the best sound design in space games, a massive Galaxy, a sense of foreboding as the Thargoid alien menace slowly is making their presence known, lots of friendly nerds and a few griefers, stable frame rates, and no FPS yet. (Star Citizen has FPS with apparently Battlefield meet Arma ambitions and a fun factor on par with the CD-I title "Escape from Cyber City".)

4) The Meta-drama is the best ever. Seriously.

5) :gary:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Whenever I watch a :pgabz: video and see him knock a ship off the landing pad, you always see the owner running towards the edge in a futile attempt to try to save their ship. It would be hilarious if this happened to someone doing a twitch stream and you could see their reaction.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

BMan posted:

This, it's this one.
Speaking of the meta-drama, i_still_trust_cig named you and Daltek as known trolls on Lando's most recent Twitch appearance. Lando had quite abit to say about trolls not long thereafter. Watch your back man.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I actually want the game to come out and be good but I think the devs managers are a bunch of chucklefucks who will piss this project away by next year.

minor correction - there seems to be enormous talent being squandered due to a lack of management.

for fun imagine the engineers that tried in vain to convince chris that 'concurrent development of modules to merge into an changing infrastructure' was not a sound decision. It's easy to say a lot of this in hindsight but so many of the management decisions have the signature of an idiot who absolutely cannot listen to anyone who disagrees with him

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Play it friend, us goons are having a real bang-up time in-game and honestly it's the best cooperative game goons have ever gotten in on. Why don't you hop in and report your impressions in this thread? It's definitely worth the 30GB and half day download time! Just be patient!

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
If you got a refund and you donated above the actual price of a video game, while it's great you managed to get your cash back and we're super rooting for you, you're still kind of thick. It's just that you're less funny now you've pulled your trousers up.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 2, 2016

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The devs need to get into the right mindset to finish the game

Last minute panic

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Solarin posted:

minor correction - there seems to be enormous talent being squandered due to a lack of management.

for fun imagine the engineers that tried in vain to convince chris that 'concurrent development of modules to merge into an changing infrastructure' was not a sound decision. It's easy to say a lot of this in hindsight but so many of the management decisions have the signature of an idiot who absolutely cannot listen to anyone who disagrees with him

The devs ARE the managers. That's their problem. I think some of the things they've put out are pretty impressive from a technical standpoint. On the other hand, why did it take them this loving long to do it? The tech demo 'cool factor' of Arena Commander wore off once I realized this might be the final version. All of this is because the devs are managing each other and no one knows how to actually release a product.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I don't suppose there's nearly enough concrete evidence to approximate a histogram of how many people spent how much, is there?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AugmentedVision posted:

I don't suppose there's nearly enough concrete evidence to approximate a histogram of how many people spent how much, is there?
If there was, wesha would be jerking off to the data in his leopard fursuit.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Welp thanks to this thread I bought and then played the new Shadowrun for the last three nights and so didn't look at this thread at all. It was amazing, and it turns out, was successfully funded on Kickstarter! It has many things a game should have, like orks, and magic, and grenade launchers, and really good writing. Also I guess there are two more of these games which were released over like four years! Incredible. I don't know how Jordan Weissmann does it!

Anyways, that's my inspirational story of how you can crowdfund a game and still have it come out and be good, so don't lose hope CIG! :D

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chris probably thought this was a video on what to do with your arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Darkest Dungeon was also kickstarted and is really rad at full release.

In retrospect there were a lot of good kickstarted indie titles.

EDIT: I've just got the base package now. I greymarketed the rest of my poo poo for a really good profit a while before the peak. That was a really good way to make a few bucks back in the day. Selling directly to late whales was one of the most strange experiences in my life. I could mark something up 30% and I'd get thanked for it. God bless LTI.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 2, 2016

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

G0RF posted:

Speaking of the meta-drama, i_still_trust_cig named you and Daltek as known trolls on Lando's most recent Twitch appearance. Lando had quite abit to say about trolls not long thereafter. Watch your back man.

Pretty sure I_still _trust_cig is a goon, they posted here with a screenshot when they were logged in not too long ago.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Chris probably thought this was a video on what to do with your arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfv1FhdaBBk

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Goobs posted:

Pretty sure I_still _trust_cig is a goon, they posted here with a screenshot when they were logged in not too long ago.

That was G0RF :v:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

BMan posted:

That was G0RF :v:

Yeah, I'm a tard. Woopsy.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mirificus posted:

If there was, wesha would be jerking off to the data in his leopard fursuit.

His own total of dollars sunk seems to do it for him nicely as it is

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

who is a TRUE BELIEVER who has posted ITT but hasn't come around? Ingloska seemed optimistic for awhile if iirc and Loliisslolosho I think gave up on it? Octopode IDFK what his opinion is anymore.

True believer is a stretch, believing that there could still be a fun game coming out of this mess if they stopped loving up is more like it. Sadly this is in the past.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Chris really strokes his own ego a lot in those videos.

But he thinks of the backers, too.

(this is around 00:15:12)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:parrot:

This should probably be on every page and this seems like a goodtime

• Locked thread