Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The plot thickens...

----

Also, interesting responses to the story about the SQ42 / Star Citizen split on Engadget:

quote:

"Vikon99
about 6 hours ago

Some of you appear to be under the impression that you will be receiving a finished game in some form. That's not happening. Ever. Simple math (10k per FTE employee/month in costs has them running out of money any moment now. Cancelling Star Marine plus the completely unplayable mess they are calling an "Alpha" are the clearest flags of disaster I can think of. I've been making high end games since 1994 and let me tell you (and this supported by buddies at the Austin Studio) this will end in lawsuits and possibly arrests for fraud. Chris has completely torpedoed development as a "Helicopter Designer". All that is left is the panicked whirlpool until the game mags wake up and actually start filing stories about what we've been talking behind the scenes about over the last two years.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
When are they supposed to run out of money, according to Derek?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kakarot posted:

two weeks.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Just realized that my most-followed topics on these forums are (in no particular order):

- this calamitous space-game sham
- Doobie
- the Republican presidential primary
- those idiots who took over the bird refuge in Oregon

Apparently I'm drawn to watching massive failures unfold in real time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

skaboomizzy posted:

Just realized that my most-followed topics on these forums are (in no particular order):

- Doobie

Reality TV had the right idea, just not the right scope.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skaboomizzy posted:

- Doobie

All of those are comedy gold mines.

Especially when the Oregon guys went off about how an eagle flying around was a sign from God they were on a righteous path.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

G0RF posted:

The plot thickens...

----

Also, interesting responses to the story about the SQ42 / Star Citizen split on Engadget:

...this is amazing.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

skaboomizzy posted:

- Doobie

But not butcoins?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Sandweed posted:

But not butcoins?

There hasn't been a lot of buttcoin news lately, but yeah, it was up there.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

skaboomizzy posted:

There hasn't been a lot of buttcoin news lately, but yeah, it was up there.

Buttcoin sounds like a currency used at blipz and chitz.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Post-hockey partial-alcohol musing time:

I got VoidSinger fired.

I'm not guessing many of you readers remember the old LTI laundering days. There was an incident involving a chat/forum volunteer moderator who was advertising she was doing LTI laundering in the RSI chatroll. Goons pointed me at it, seeing I was the big fish with the insider communication track (benphone.gif).

I looked at the evidence, considered the ramifications, and decided that a CIG mod, as lowly a position it was, was still a representative of CIG and should not conduct herself in this manner.

I wasn't very forgiving in my position, many before me had told her what she was doing was wrong, and she constantly made excuses for it. So I tracked her down to her home base forums, where she advertised the service, and confronted her. My position was that she had two options: To cease any further LTI laundering transactions as she was a CIG representative, or cease being a CIG representative. Her response was that she asked Sandi about it and she was cool with it, she had done nothing wrong and felt no need to stop LTI laundering.

Ben was sympathetic, he didn't like her either, but she was "friends" with Sandi so his objections were met with a brick wall.

So the solution was to go straight to Sandi. Long story short I stated my position on the matter. I didn't get a response. Shortly thereafter, VoidSinger was no longer a mod on CIG media.

I guess you can say it was the most productive interaction I had with Sandi. I have no idea what happened to Void after that. I wonder sometimes, but not for very long.

I think back on it, and consider my options at the time. It's a footnote, barely. And yet it was power projection on my part. Made me feel like I was doing something to make the product better. All things considered, I would have done the same again.

Deep down, I still want Star Citizen to succeed, it was something I was a part of, gave time and professional effort to it. I want to have fun reliving old GHSC antics of espionage, theft, and murder-for-hire.

But there's no excusing bad judgement and petty excuses, no matter if it's at the bottom of the company...

Or at the top.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Welp thanks to this thread I bought and then played the new Shadowrun for the last three nights and so didn't look at this thread at all. It was amazing, and it turns out, was successfully funded on Kickstarter! It has many things a game should have, like orks, and magic, and grenade launchers, and really good writing. Also I guess there are two more of these games which were released over like four years! Incredible. I don't know how Jordan Weissmann does it!

Anyways, that's my inspirational story of how you can crowdfund a game and still have it come out and be good, so don't lose hope CIG! :D

There's a reason why that happened…

Harebrained Schemes posted:

In a nutshell - we’re a few months into pre-production now, and we’ve been busy prototyping and iterating on the core combat experience. As awesome and fulfilling as the Kickstarter experience was for us, it’s also been nice to focus entirely on game development for the past month!

With the scope of the game now clearly established by the funding goals we reached on Kickstarter, Jordan and I along with the rest of the design team have been able to really hone in on the core of what we’re making, and to start planning out the experience as a whole. We’ve established a strong set of design criteria for the game - for example: “I feel like all types and tonnages of ‘Mechs can be useful in combat.” And: “I rarely feel like concentrated fire is the only strategic solution.” It may sound obvious, but writing these goals down and referring back to them each step of the way really helps focus our prototyping efforts and ensure that the end result accomplishes everything we’d like it to.

Meanwhile, our Lead Engineer, Chris 00, has been focused on laying a strong architectural framework for our codebase. This is one of those things that is invisible now but will really pay off later. When designing a piece of software as complex as BATTLETECH, it’s critical to lay the right structure to build from, as well as define the components that the rest of the engineering team will build. This is especially important in a game that has to support both single-player and server-based multiplayer!

To capture how all of these efforts move forward, our Producer, Chris 01, has been working on a high-level block schedule for the project and planning our major milestones for next year. Our goal is to have a vertical slice (i.e. a representative demo short on content, but more complete development of high priority systems) of the combat game ready next summer and then bring on a larger production team to build out the environments, missions, and content around the same time. It’s a slow, careful burn until code foundations and content pipelines are in place and proven.

In other words, Harebrained (the developers of the Shadowrun games) blatantly and explicitly cheat! :colbert:
It seems a whole bunch of crowdfunded companies employ similar underhanded methods.

Delta Green devs posted:

We get a lot of suggestions that open with "in this other Kickstarter I saw..."; and we're going to stop you right there — in the great scheme of things, our most important mission is to get you quality books. Many other companies chase a growing total to see how high it can go; we are not that company. Many, many (many, many) other Kickstarters end in financial disaster, either through malfeasance, or miscalculation. We've created A LOT of Kickstarters, and we worked hard to make sure we're not hanging ourselves promising something in the tiers that will come back and kill us in the end.

I have heard many people ask for t-shirts and other things that are literally black holes of productivity (someone needs to source them, size them and ship them, and that someone is one of the book creators). We won't be creating a chain of crap side-items that destroy our productivity to make five more dollars per order.
Pff! What hack frauds.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 2, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bootcha posted:

Her response was that she asked Sandi about it and she was cool with it, she had done nothing wrong and felt no need to stop LTI laundering.

It's interesting to wonder whether this was simply a lie and this is what got her fired, or if she had indeed cleared with with Sandi but a high profile person voicing a concern is enough to have the carpet pulled out from under you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bootcha posted:

I guess you can say it was the most productive interaction I had with Sandi. I have no idea what happened to Void after that. I wonder sometimes, but not for very long.

The first words I remember of her, when she was no longer a mod, was that, and I quote as best as I can remember: "She doesn't have the patience to deal with vicious manchildren anyway." I laughed out loud upon reading that in RSI chat, and she kept hanging out there for a couple more years, along with that site and her org, where she probably keeps fleecing whoever believes her even now. Or she's moved on, I dunno...I stopped caring about half a year back about anything of that whole community.

So good job on that one, because apart from Slavik being gone as a mod it was one of the few cases where they were actually held accountable for poo poo and not being able to just coast on their standard convoluted or complete BS excuses. Of course, it did also work the opposite way with one over 5k whale (a lot back in early 2014), who got disciplined for grey market advertising in RSI chat, complained about it to Sandi...and she fired the moderator Sophine, who wasn't even the moderator that nailed him and would even so have just been doing her job.

So yea...your interaction with Sandi was in as productive as thus: You were an extra big whale and she felt obliged to please you. But it didn't matter one bit to her if you were in the right or wrong, she just wanted to keep you happy and thus make sure to keep your money with them.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 2, 2016

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Tippis posted:

In other words, Harebrained (the developers of the Shadowrun games) blatantly and explicitly cheat! :colbert:
It seems a whole bunch of crowdfunded companies employ similar underhanded methods.

Having a plan breaks Crobberts' reality immersion

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

G0RF posted:

quote:

Some of you appear to be under the impression that you will be receiving a finished game in some form. That's not happening. Ever. Simple math (10k per FTE employee/month in costs has them running out of money any moment now. Cancelling Star Marine plus the completely unplayable mess they are calling an "Alpha" are the clearest flags of disaster I can think of. I've been making high end games since 1994 and let me tell you (and this supported by buddies at the Austin Studio) this will end in lawsuits and possibly arrests for fraud. Chris has completely torpedoed development as a "Helicopter Designer". All that is left is the panicked whirlpool until the game mags wake up and actually start filing stories about what we've been talking behind the scenes about over the last two years.
If that's actually the guy then that's some fairly significant substantiation. Also interesting to hear that there've been rumblings within the industry about CIG's incompetent management for two years.

And the cultists are already down-voting his comment and calling him Derek :allears:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

That pizza looks great, but how do you get it to not stick to the pan?

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
To be perfectly fair that comment does seem a little Smart around the edges. Although if it was he'd just use his name - when has he ever bothered to use an alias? Or care about one?

However, if he doesn't close that first bracket that comment will never compile.

Mr Fronts posted:

Please, no tongue. Some of us are still new here and flllp llppppllf ffflflllllppppoorrrrfgfffllflfglgp.

Well, if you're going to force your way into the bottom like that, the least you can do is offer a little tongue.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 2, 2016

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Please, no tongue. Some of us are still new here and flllp llppppllf ffflflllllppppoorrrrfgfffllflfglgp.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Bootcha posted:

I'm not guessing many of you readers remember the old LTI laundering days. There was an incident involving a chat/forum volunteer moderator who was advertising she was doing LTI laundering in the RSI chatroll. Goons pointed me at it, seeing I was the big fish with the insider communication track (benphone.gif).

I do. Those were extremely odd times. As memory serves VS was offering to flip people's LTI rides for $5 a pop. I recall inquiring with Ben via chatroll if that was on the level and I don't remember him expressing any issue with it. Obviously I had some personal interest in CIG's outlook on flipping packages at the time as I was very deep in my interest in SC and the community at large. It wasn't an enormous leap to put together VS's pledge flipping, her termination and CIG's unusually prompt shutdown of official advertising of 'grey market' sales on their own website. Though I've always been of a mind that CIG always approved of the secondary market and assumed that it offered consumers a stress release valve when considering the ramifications of unwise purchases.

The off-topic brown sea middleman/LTI flipping drama with Baragoon is something that I recall like something out of a fever dream.

Sophine's termination was a different matter. That was an interesting peek behind the curtain at CIG HQ.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnniNBlW-rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8V9hyoY5iY

AP fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 2, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

Sophine's termination was a different matter. That was an interesting peek behind the curtain at CIG HQ.

I dunno. To me, Bootcha's story about VS pretty much confirms the overriding theme perfectly. It was right, and VS was fired, but not cause it was right, but cause Bootcha had lots of money with CIG. Then later it was wrong, and Sophine got fired, but not cause it was right, but cause Out$ider had lots of money with CIG. Whatever it took to keep the whales happy, was what ruled back then. Still likely does, since Sandi hasn't gone anywhere and Ben's become an rear end in a top hat with teeth when it comes to the community handling.

Though to :lesnick:'s credit, he was furious about the latter happening while not kicking up much of a fuss over the former, yeah...the truth is, Sandi held the strings and she's never cared about right and wrong at all, just about the money, no matter how much it abuses trust as time goes on.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 2, 2016

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Moogle posted:

To be perfectly fair that comment does seem a little Smart around the edges. Although if it was he'd just use his name - when has he ever bothered to use an alias? Or care about one?
Sure, but it also sounds about right coming from an industry vet who's moved away from the entertainment side of things and so might not care as much about potentially burning bridges. Or maybe he's always been blunt. I'd never heard of the guy but the screen name is associated with a dev who started in 1993.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Hi Sandi, please don't come back to Australia.

Thanks, Australia.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SquirrelGrip posted:

Thanks, Australia.

gently caress off, we're full.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Illegal Move posted:

That pizza looks great, but how do you get it to not stick to the pan?

You need either a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, olive oil, or both. I like cast iron because it heats evenly.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kakarot posted:

They just moved probably the last 30 or so million into the UK. If you assume a burn rate of 3 million a month, that's still 10 months of cash left where they need to push out SQ42, which will be all but impossible if Chirs is still micro managing with his head up his rear end (he is). If you assume they have a line of credit, you might be able to add another several million. So maybe a year, year and a half left.

We've seen nothing of Squadron 42 and you don't simply go from in development to full launch without showing the press something, even a playable section. (And no Reddit, Fallout 4 doesn't count because it technically wasn't even announced until it was nearing the end of its development life and nobody saw it beforehand). This would be a difficult tasks to complete in a year or so for an experienced production team with comparable resources. To one that seems to be bleeding talent and has a higher turnover than a fast food restaurant with a micromanaging boss who is criticizing how you scrub the toilets, its basically impossible.

The greatest irony is that Chris is so narcissistic that he thinks people actually give a hot gently caress about Squadron 42. The Star Citizen name is already dogshit. The sea of diarrhea that he calls his fans are already starting to show dissent. Once they realize their 'Space Dreams' have been exploited for a vanity project, that's pretty much the end. There will still be die-hard idiots who are mentally retarded, deficient and insane, but not enough to finish this poo poo off.

EDIT:
I did just see 'The Big Short' and Derek is definitely Mark Baum.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Thanks, Australia.

Ask Peter "Potato-head" Dutton (Long lost brother of Chris Roberts) to revoke her citizenship.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Physics motherfucker!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Well, hell, at least they aren't getting analog pixels. Those are the WORST!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan posted:

They just moved probably the last 30 or so million into the UK. If you assume a burn rate of 3 million a month, that's still 10 months of cash left where they need to push out SQ42, which will be all but impossible if Chirs is still micro managing with his head up his rear end (he is). If you assume they have a line of credit, you might be able to add another several million. So maybe a year, year and a half left.

30 million left without credit seems a lot to me, but if was true in ten months they could raise an additional 20 million fairly easily, based on last year. I think faith, hope and charity are going to run out this year but even if they don't, it's hard to see CIG in 2017 being in much better of a position that they are now, backers will just have seen more and there's always worse to come.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

You need either a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, olive oil, or both. I like cast iron because it heats evenly.

I will try this, thanks!

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Since this appears to be the altcooking thread as well, has anyone here ever had paiche? grabbed some today from Whole Foods and it was loving delicious. I've never heard of this fish before today, what gives?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

"...you already have FPS in the game..."

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

bootcha posted:

But there's no excusing bad judgement and petty excuses, no matter if it's at the bottom...Or at the top.

Well I certainly enjoy the pegging jokes.

:getin:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

"...you already have FPS in the game..."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Objecshun! The FPS has already been delivered.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

skaboomizzy posted:

- Doobie

May I recommend the Smorky's girlfriend thread in GBS, it's right up your alley!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

It's a Star Citizen/Deadpool crossover! Where's my credit card!?

• Locked thread