Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Most of those aren't actually exposed cast iron, just a different color/type of enamel.

My le creuset is definitely bare cast on the rim, rusts like a demon if not dried immediately after washing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
My Lodge is bare cast on the edge but I think it has a coating because it hasn't rusted yet.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
God drat those pork chops were good last night.

Sorry no pics of the inside. But these were the pinkest and most succulent pork chops I've ever had.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Potato Salad posted:

The heart capacity of iron is far below that of water. Nope.

This is a horrible thing to say, I know for a fact that my cast iron skillet loves me, and I love it back! :love:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Visualize sous vide gibblets.

This may actually work for making gravy.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Im looking for a crappy slab of meat that can be made to taste good when puddled.

I tried a chuck roast and it was terrible. Im thinking either a top or bottom round next.

Any suggestions?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

The Pell posted:

Im looking for a crappy slab of meat that can be made to taste good when puddled.

I tried a chuck roast and it was terrible. Im thinking either a top or bottom round next.

Any suggestions?

What happened? How did you prepare it?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
I cooked it at 145 for about 12 or so hours. Seasoned with only salt and pepper.

Texturally, it was great. But the flavor sucked.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Question to the torch owners itt: have any of you tried the torch-only approach, and if so how did it work? How would you go about working with aromatics in that case?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Pell posted:

I cooked it at 145 for about 12 or so hours. Seasoned with only salt and pepper.

Texturally, it was great. But the flavor sucked.

Sounds like a seasoning issue maybe?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

The Pell posted:

Any suggestions?

Round worked great for me as I mentioned a few pages back. 130 for 30 hours, tender and pink from edge to edge and very beefy.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

large hands posted:

Round worked great for me as I mentioned a few pages back. 130 for 30 hours, tender and pink from edge to edge and very beefy.

Yeah I did an eye of round at 131 for about 32 hours a few weekends ago (after seeing large hands post about his) and it came out great. Made amazing sandwiches.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

My second attempt at sous viide (made some great steak a few days ago) is 24 hr, 152F baby back ribs. It's about 12 hours in, I just got home, and the place smells like liquid smoke. Sure enough, the seal broke on at least 2, likely all 4, of my bags. I used cheap sandwich zip-loc bags because this morning I realized I was out of the sturdier kind and I had to make do.

At this point, is there anything I can do? It will still be safe at least, right? The water is still clear; it doesn't appear the juices from the ribs have leaked out of the bags much at all (I'm using a Codlo on a slow cooker, so there's no circulation).

And side question, any recommendations for sous-vide appetizers? Trying to figure out what to make for a Super Bowl party.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 2, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Perfectly safe.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Weird: Ziploc bag appeared to be leaking (at least I noticed lots of butter floating around in my trashcan), but when I filled it with water nothing was coming out, even when I put some pressure on it.

Getting really loving tired of ziploc bags, what's the recommended vacuum sealer these days?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

AnonSpore posted:

Question to the torch owners itt: have any of you tried the torch-only approach, and if so how did it work? How would you go about working with aromatics in that case?

When you say torch-only, do you mean just for the sear? Or torch sans vide? Because I've done the first, but not the second.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

deimos posted:

2" requires 2hr @ 65 to pasteurize...

Personally I'd do 2:30 @ 60 if I was in a hurry or 5hr @ 55 if not.

They don't need to pasteurize it unless they're doing something weird. North American pork basically has no issues with trichinosis anymore.

It would be a bigger deal if they were storing it lots after or something like that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They don't need to pasteurize it unless they're doing something weird. North American pork basically has no issues with trichinosis anymore.

It would be a bigger deal if they were storing it lots after or something like that.

I just... What?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

Weird: Ziploc bag appeared to be leaking (at least I noticed lots of butter floating around in my trashcan), but when I filled it with water nothing was coming out, even when I put some pressure on it.

Getting really loving tired of ziploc bags, what's the recommended vacuum sealer these days?

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V34...words=foodsaver

I have this one and I've only had a bag unseal once with the generic 2x50 ft or whatever they are rolls. The rolls at first are too big to fit into the dispenser, I think it's designed for 25 ft. I honestly use this thing more than my anovas because I shop at BJ's a lot and just portion out and freeze the massive packs of pork chops or chicken right when I get home with seasoning or whatever and I can just toss the bags into the vizzler with no prep work.

I picked up a floor/display model from Home Depot for about 1/5 that price, not sure if I'd pay that much but if you buy food in bulk it'd worth it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I use the cheapo V2244 foodsaver and haven't had any issues thus far. Probably would've sprung for one of the fancier ones, but I've got enough giant kitchen gadgets as it is for my 1BR apartment.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jeoh posted:

Cheapest foodsaver you can find. I've used my v2222 for 5+ years and it was only 20 bucks on clearance when I got it.

Try craigslist/offerup/goodwill for cheap ones.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Bravo posted:

When you say torch-only, do you mean just for the sear? Or torch sans vide? Because I've done the first, but not the second.

Well, this IS the sous-viddly thread. :v:

Yeah, I meant just the sear.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

deimos posted:

I just... What?
The purpose of pasteurisation is not to make food safe to consume, it's to prevent spoilage during storage. In general (but not always) pasteurisation will also render food safe to consume, but the requirements for safe consumption and the requirements for pasteurisation are not the same.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SubG posted:

The purpose of pasteurisation is not to make food safe to consume, it's to prevent spoilage during storage. In general (but not always) pasteurisation will also render food safe to consume, but the requirements for safe consumption and the requirements for pasteurisation are not the same.

Hmm!

I've been using Baldwin's pasteurization times/temps, often. Do you have a good reference for safe-to-consume?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm!

I've been using Baldwin's pasteurization times/temps, often. Do you have a good reference for safe-to-consume?
I don't know of a guide written for the home sous vide cook, but if you want to look up the USDA/FDA guidelines on the subject the keywords you're interested in are `cooked, ready-to-eat' and/or `RTE'.

Spot checking the references in Baldwin's guide makes me suspect that Baldwin may be adopting the RTE guidelines and is just using the term `pasteurisation' loosely.

To be clear: in the technical literature on the subject, food prepared to the RTE guidelines is safe for immediate consumption. The goal being elimination of active, vegetative pathogens (that are likely to be present in the food, in sufficient quantities to cause illness). Pasteurisation entails rendering the food safe for the duration of its reasonable shelf life with no further processing (assuming safe handling during this time). This generally involves destruction or inactivation of a larger proportion of pathogens, as well as destruction or inactivation of spores or whatever, which might lead to spoilage during the shelf life. Achieving one will sometimes achieve the other, but it really depends on the food product in question, and what pathogens/conditions you have to worry about.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh my loving god. Sous vide cod is the loving best.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Recipe please, I'm getting sick of fish and chips and I've got a bunch of wild pacific cod sealed up in the freezer.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So I've only done it once but all I did was throw some onions and lemon slices into the bag and puddled it for 30 minutes at 131 F.

Served it with a little salt sprinkled over.

Some things I will try in future:

- Cantonese style steamed fish: puddle your fish and then make a sauce by pan frying a mixture of ginger sliced into thin sticks, green onions, soy sauce, fish sauce. Sautee for about 10 minutes and then turn the heat off and chuck in a bunch of cilantro. Then when the fish is done, put it into a shallow pan, saving the water that cooked out of the fish in the bag. Pour the sauce into the pan with the fish. Garnish with more cilantro if you want.
- Hollandaise sauce? Man that would be loving sweet.
- Make a butter sauce with lemon. Mmmm.
- Coconut curry sauce. I tend not to bother with making it from scratch and I just buy a packet from the chinese grocery store.
- Singapore fish curry sauce. Hot loving drat that would be good.

I'm all excited because I've just never had fish cooked to such lovely consistency and doneness.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

It's weird seeing you post outside of the canpol and housing bubble threads. It's almost like you're a real person :allears:

Noted on the cod, I need to stock up on some seafood next time I go to Prince Rupert.

BraveUlysses posted:

Cheapest foodsaver you can find. I've used my v2222 for 5+ years and it was only 20 bucks on clearance when I got it.

Try craigslist/offerup/goodwill for cheap ones.

From the reviews I've read, it seems like most Foodsaver failures are within the warranty period. If they last more than a couple months they're fine. I forget the model number, but I paid ~$130 Cdn for mine (probably $110-120 USD at the time) and have had no issues.

E:

- Hollandaise sauce? Man that would be loving sweet.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/sous-vide-hollandaise/

I've never made it, and I think the whipping siphon is optional, but Modernist Cuisine had never let me down.

Whiskey Sours fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 3, 2016

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah I've been wanting to try the MC hollandaise and some nice cod with maybe a little fresh tarragon sounds like a good way to try it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Whiskey Sours posted:

I've never made it, and I think the whipping siphon is optional, but Modernist Cuisine had never let me down.

I'll have to try that, because in contrast, this method has never, ever, ever worked for me:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

It just doesn't emulsify at all, and I do use a cup only a little wider than the blender.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is the immersion blender touching the bottom of the cup when you start blending? This is critical to whether it works or not and Kenji doesn't stress it enough.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

I'll have to try that, because in contrast, this method has never, ever, ever worked for me:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/foolproof-2-minute-hollandaise-recipe.html

It just doesn't emulsify at all, and I do use a cup only a little wider than the blender.

I've used the same basic recipe but in a normal blender and it worked out well enough.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

How long do you guys run your bottom rounds? I got one cooking at 138F and I'm hoping to eat it around the 30 hour mark but it's my first one so I have no idea of this is long enough.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have 48 hours to do some short ribs starting like right now...129 or 135-140ish for 48 hours? I usually do them 72 hours at like 129ish. Will I get the same results with a day less cook time?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

I have 48 hours to do some short ribs starting like right now...129 or 135-140ish for 48 hours? I usually do them 72 hours at like 129ish. Will I get the same results with a day less cook time?

My preferred is 48 hours at 131.5

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My preferred is 48 hours at 131.5

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
In the last couple days I've sv'd steak and cod, previously frozen. Bleeeech gross

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So I got a searzall and a torch for searing things. For say a steak, is there anything I should keep in mind, or is it just sear one side with torch while the other side is browning away in a cast iron pan? How close/far should the screen be to the meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

So I got a searzall and a torch for searing things. For say a steak, is there anything I should keep in mind, or is it just sear one side with torch while the other side is browning away in a cast iron pan? How close/far should the screen be to the meat?

I only use the Searzall for uneven/irregularly shaped foods. If it's flat, I'll cast iron it on both sides. The Searzall is useful, but for me really only for things that don't do well in cast iron. Cast iron gives a superior sear/crust always in my experience.