Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Crazyeyes posted:

1.5kg isn't a whole lot... by chili standards.

How would anyone eat that many chiles? Salt is probably more toxic than that :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Crazyeyes posted:

1.5kg isn't a whole lot... by chili standards.

The only way this response makes sense is if you're American and so you don't know how much 1.5 kilograms of chipotle would be, given you're so used to freedom-units. Otherwise, wtf?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

https://chilliesontheweb.co.uk/chipotle-chilli-what-has-happened

so chipotles are going to be hard to find in the eu for some time

how hosed am i for finding an alternative?

What the gently caress is this bullshit? I am almost out of those insanely delicious chipotle in adobo sauce things that I only even know about thanks to this thread.

Still, in a world where one can buy class-A drugs off the internet, I can't believe eBay won't provide. Just sucks having to pay ludicrous :britain: markup.

Also, one of my favourite suppliers of all things exotic & spicy still seems to have dried chipotle...time to stock up:

http://www.worldofzing.com/product/chipotle-morita-chilli/

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Ranter posted:

The only way this response makes sense is if you're American and so you don't know how much 1.5 kilograms of chipotle would be, given you're so used to freedom-units. Otherwise, wtf?

It was meant to be a joke cause I and this thread are both rabid for chipotles.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ah OK that joke went over my head.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Has anyone ordered from my spice sage before?

http://www.myspicesage.com/

They have some interesting chile powders that I'd like to try with some chili.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I have never made chili from scratch before, please send help

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Aaaaagghh why bud light. Gross! Use a stout!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I am right there with you.

Is there any legitimate taste/quality difference by cooking microwave-defrosted beef like this (1:37 for before, skip to 3:48 for after defrost)
and by having the meat thaw in the fridge/sink?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Aaaaagghh why bud light. Gross! Use a stout!

I was dismayed to find that the only stout I had at that very moment was chocolate Graham cracker smore or some poo poo like that. I also just realized I had dark lager somewhere in the house, but the damage is done now.

It was a very spur of the moment pot of chili

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

EagerSleeper posted:

Is there any legitimate taste/quality difference by cooking microwave-defrosted beef like this (1:37 for before, skip to 3:48 for after defrost)
and by having the meat thaw in the fridge/sink?

It's going to be more 'well done' as you're sloughing off cooked portions of the exterior and dumping them into a pot so you can continue cooking the frozen interior portions.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's going to be more 'well done' as you're sloughing off cooked portions of the exterior and dumping them into a pot so you can continue cooking the frozen interior portions.

Interesting, seems awful, but at least doable.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anybody ever made a pork rib chilli?

Any tips/recipes?

Also, Chipotle embargo? Off to whole foods to stock up on cans of the things.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Horse Clocks posted:

Any tips/recipes?

I suppose you could! Are you looking for it to be recognizable as pork ribs, or mimic beef chilli entirely?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

Any tips/recipes?

I've done country style ribs, which made good chili, but I found them to make it pretty greasy, so I trim the fat some before cooking. Never done real ribs though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Horse Clocks posted:

There's whole foods in the EU?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Ranter posted:

There's whole foods in the EU?

There's 9 in the UK.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How does whole food's meat stack up to an English butcher shop? There's no real butchers within 30 minute drive of where I moved to in the USA (and the 30min away one is overpriced because they know they're good). The supermarket meat here is atrociously bad quality. However, the Whole Foods is 20 minutes away and has half-way decent meat; I don't give a poo poo about organic, just quality produce. I miss Australian butchers and greengrocers :(

Looks like you can get a small 200g can of chipotle in adobo shipped from the USA for £4.70 inc. postage on eBay. San Marcos (the best one) is £5.45

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Ranter posted:

How does whole food's meat stack up to an English butcher shop? There's no real butchers within 30 minute drive of where I moved to in the USA (and the 30min away one is overpriced because they know they're good). The supermarket meat here is atrociously bad quality. However, the Whole Foods is 20 minutes away and has half-way decent meat; I don't give a poo poo about organic, just quality produce. I miss Australian butchers and greengrocers :(

Looks like you can get a small 200g can of chipotle in adobo shipped from the USA for £4.70 inc. postage on eBay. San Marcos (the best one) is £5.45

Obviously I can't be sure since I don't know where you are in the US but if you have a moderately large population of ethnic minorities in your area theres a solid chance there actually is a butcher thats just difficult to find online. Barring that Whole Foods generally beats out the grocery stores in quality if not necessarily quality for your money. Other good options are farmers markets or possibly a food Co-op.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

LorrdErnie posted:

Obviously I can't be sure since I don't know where you are in the US but if you have a moderately large population of ethnic minorities in your area theres a solid chance there actually is a butcher thats just difficult to find online. Barring that Whole Foods generally beats out the grocery stores in quality if not necessarily quality for your money. Other good options are farmers markets or possibly a food Co-op.

Mexican 'butchers' near me don't do the cuts of meat that I want, and the quality of the meat is still poor. For them it's all about being the cheapest. I also don't speak enough Spanish to ask them to cut me proper thick cuts of steak. My local asian market is great for cheap pork, but again their beef is weak.

Farmers markets are only on weekends, and my local one doesn't run during the winter. Nearest co-op is further than the butcher.

Thanks for your help, but I've been dealing with this for almost 10 years I know whats up.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Ah your post read to me like you'd just moved here. You seem to know what you're looking for and it's probably best for you to just go in and look. In my experience the quality of Whole Foods meat varies quite a bit from location to location, probably because a decent number of them were other organic grocers that they bought up. In any case my guess is that the 20 minutes saved on the round trip and small amount of money saved won't be enough to make visiting the Whole Foods a better bet than getting bit ripped off at the butcher.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ranter posted:

amazon still sell them. i can also spend £120 and buy a kilo of dried chipotles so maybe i should see if that poster is right about the quantity needed to cause problems

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ben Nevis posted:

I've done country style ribs, which made good chili, but I found them to make it pretty greasy, so I trim the fat some before cooking. Never done real ribs though.

My standard chilli is 50:50 chuck and pork ribs. Just follow the usual recipe, but make sure you count the ribs as you put them in: otherwise you can spend hours trying to find a bone that isn't actually there...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Scientastic posted:

My standard chilli is 50:50 chuck and pork ribs. Just follow the usual recipe, but make sure you count the ribs as you put them in: otherwise you can spend hours trying to find a bone that isn't actually there...

I like using rib tips so I don't have to worry about bones

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The bud light chili was better than canned chili, at least.

Next time, more chilis and I think Guinness Stout.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Bud Heavy: how my mom makes ground beef chili, and therefore the proper way.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
chocolate and coffee stout is p. good in chili.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I prefer triplebock or Amber lagers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like a stout or hearty brown ale. Depends on of I'm adding cola or not.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Diesel Punk Porter is my favorite. My family digs it too. Some beers are too sour and make the chili taste off.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Shiner Bock & Shot of whiskey.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I use Black Duck Porter

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oooooooh look at all these hipsters who are "too good" for steel reserve or some poo poo

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Blatz all the way to the poor house.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
so making chili in a pressure cooker is pretty loving awesome. What used to take 8-12 hours to tenderize the beef now takes <1 hour. It turns a real pot of chili (if there is such a thing) from an all day, weekend only affair into an easy, on a whim weeknight meal.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm a vegetarian monster that refuses using beer. Help me with makin veg chili.

I'm enjoying which is pretty much slow cooking those dull chili starter bottles with 1 can o chickpeas with 2 black beans and sometimes red kidney beans. I toss in soy chorizo and 8oz of hatch valley salsa. Then I ether toss in whatever mushrooms catch my eye Bella or button, and sometimes cubed drained tofu that I baked a bit beforehand.
Tempeh grated into a fine dust works as filler and once in a blue moon I throw in some diced carrots. I slow cook the whole batch over 12 to 24 hours on low and stir and add some water as needed.
I enjoy what comes out as a bitter decent heat chili but I'm just getting bored with it after a few years of it.

Anyone have a kickass vegetarian chilli without beer that I can slowcook?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm a vegetarian monster that refuses using beer. Help me with makin veg chili.

I'm enjoying which is pretty much slow cooking those dull chili starter bottles with 1 can o chickpeas with 2 black beans and sometimes red kidney beans. I toss in soy chorizo and 8oz of hatch valley salsa. Then I ether toss in whatever mushrooms catch my eye Bella or button, and sometimes cubed drained tofu that I baked a bit beforehand.
Tempeh grated into a fine dust works as filler and once in a blue moon I throw in some diced carrots. I slow cook the whole batch over 12 to 24 hours on low and stir and add some water as needed.
I enjoy what comes out as a bitter decent heat chili but I'm just getting bored with it after a few years of it.

Anyone have a kickass vegetarian chilli without beer that I can slowcook?

I know a guy who makes some banging veg chili where he subs cashews for the meat. That is about the only modification to standard chili protocols.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crazyeyes posted:

I know a guy who makes some banging veg chili where he subs cashews for the meat. That is about the only modification to standard chili protocols.

Whoa. I'll do that.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

He may also add corn... It's been a while, but it tasted really good.

Be sure to use unsalted cashews or it could be unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crazyeyes posted:

Seconding this, it's a really interesting way to get a very subtle almost buttery flavor into your chili. Try this recipe as a starter and modify to your liking.