Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316724/can-this-game-be-made-if-funding-stopped-right-now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man I went to trivia night and I missed Mermaid Citizen? gently caress, this is why I should abandon all my real world friends and live in the Verse with you guys.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Unfunny Poster posted:

I didn't watch the video, I just closed it after they talked about what it was.

It just doesn't make sense, like most game dev studios like CCP, Descent Underground, etc. that do regular "this is what we've been working on" content showing their progression of development have at most two series. CIG have had six or more different shows running simultaneously, with very little to show for all the talking about the game they're working on.

It's intended to give the illusion of open development. What it really constitutes is a form of public brainstorming - not the same thing. Open development would be showing systems in development; you know, something like a PLAYER INVENTORY which we still do not have any details on, spreadsheets about how the economy is planned, showing completed game maps etc. Open development would say what the backer money paid for (this is NOT the stretch goals page - that is just a bunch of bullshit they made up as a way to show incoming cash "unlocking" content - most of those systems have not been fleshed out or designed beyond the words on that page). Open development would have made it obvious over the course of 2015 that Star Marine was not coming out. They didn't just suddenly know that two weeks ago. That might have been when they made the call, but with open development, the backers would have been there right alongside them, seeing the increasing difficulty. They could have said things like "Star Marine as originally pitched might have to be rethought" and so on, taking months to show the direction it was going and why it was probably going away.

Open development would have follow-ups on earlier stuff. "Remember that thing we showed you last week? These 2 parts didn't work, so we took them out. Here's what it looks like today. Here's what we're hoping to show you next week." And then show it.

Instead of all that, it's just people sitting around talking about what might be cool, just casually shooting the poo poo. Nothing talked about is necessarily related to the game, and nothing in the game is necessarily talked about. In the same way they tossed out the PTU and said "gently caress you, no more refunds, and here's Star Marine btw", they toss out these videos and say "here's your open development, fuckers."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I've scrapped portions of my project and started again from scratch quite often, and the results are always better for the time and effort. That isn't to say the original plan I presented to backers was a lie, it simply didn't work out as I'd hoped. That's just reality.

I mean, at least you have a design document and know how things will work or should work. Look at the last 10 for the chairman. Chris can't even give answers on how any of the systems like docking will work because that poo poo hasn't been thought out or planned yet.

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Man I went to trivia night and I missed Mermaid Citizen? gently caress, this is why I should abandon all my real world friends and live in the Verse with you guys.

Don't do this.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I took my kids roller skating and come back to 400 posts.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

CU in the V.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

its happening

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

:rip: fuzzy modem

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Peroxide Cowboy posted:

Don't do this.

Do this with everyone except Peroxide Cowboy. We have Immersion (*tm)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beet Wagon posted:

welcome to the 'abyss, frogman!

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

If, when they raised $50 million, Chris had brought on somebody else to make the game and took a back seat roll in all the design and critical decisions of game play and art how different do think the product we are looking at would be.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Can you loving assholes stop with all of these OPSEC leaks?

Pretty sure someone already figured out the vigenere whisky cipher we've been using. It's not loving rocket science.

Stop using classical crypto in plaintext you fucks.

Crypto-goon is not happy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6322463/#Comment_6322463

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6322816/#Comment_6322816

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Imagine how many more backers there are out there who do not post on forums, or are too scared to post due to citizen toxicity. Lots more people are coming around. This is good.

It's sad to see how long some people are taking to wake up, though. People generally don't survive a tsunami if they wait until they can see it before they decide to run. Take a hint - learn to read signs.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
claiming that sc has 'the most open development ever' requires a degree of dissonance that i can't comprehend. it is loving baffling how little even the loving community managers know.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
"Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they were short on money because voice actors are not cheap."

Voice actors would disagree. But don't worry friend, Chris is using Hollywood actors instead.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

:rip: fuzzy modem

no he will come back

Fuzzy are you able to relate to Chris/Sandi/CiG because your own project has taken 10 years to not release?

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Haskell9 posted:

Do this with everyone except Peroxide Cowboy. We have Immersion (*tm)

:negative:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Can this game be made if funding stopped right now?

Blaming Fox for the Wing Commander movie

Blames "Derek Smart and his few acolytes"

PvE Funding/Focus Worries

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Peroxide Cowboy posted:

Don't do this.

Too late. I am the Verse.

spacetoaster posted:

I took my kids roller skating and come back to 400 posts.

We're gonna have to start doing this poo poo in shifts, that way whoever was on watch can brief whoever went to go do actual human stuff.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I can say I'm glad they are taking their time, because I remember Freelancer, and believe Chris has learned a lot from that experience.

I'm also two years behind on my own crowd funded project, so I'm somewhat sympathetic. Mine is done except for the last pass on sound quality, and most of my team and supporters are glad we took our time, as the final product is really quite satisfactory. So maybe I learned the same lessons by proxy.

[edit] Also, and I know what this place is for, but I really hate it when people poo poo talk about Sandi. She's one of the nicest people I've ever corresponded with. Some comments just really turn my stomach, or yeah, I would spend more time here.

I'm not sure if I follow. One of the primary failings of Freelancer under Chris Roberts was that time was treated a free commodity. Burdensome and unrealistic scope was set as a goal that was perpetually out of reach. Dynamic economies, shifting base ownership, complex damage states, tremendous environments in living systems, a multiplayer experience on par with contemporary MMOs. What came out the door as Microsoft did everything in their power to salvage Freelancer was a static shadow of those promises but it wasn't a terrible game. The single player story was hilariously bad and the fictional backdrop was a riot but the game functioned fairly well and dedicated modding communities kept it alive.

Good stuff.

Now here we are with Freelancer 2.0 and, as another Goon roughly said, he's struggling to present one fifth of his original promise in twice the time with five times the budget. There's nothing to show for it but a library of rants against the evil of publishers and how his dream cannot be restrained. My takeaway from Freelancer was that without laser focus on the hard and fast foundations of gameplay to build the most solid game you can with all of those extra resources spent to make that core experience pretty and more packed with content you're going to end up with a hot mess. Chris' takeaway seems to have been that his ambitions are curtailed by the checks and balances of oversight and a budget.

This latest Star Marine event, let alone past incidences such as the original REC rollout and his childish response to lashback, have readily demonstrated what we can expect in the future as he begins to further associate backer ire with the kind of cloying oversight that he resents.

:yarg:

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SquirrelGrip posted:

yeah this

show me your shotgun page

My Shotgun page is "Cryo" My crowd funded project is called "CrossOver".

SquirrelGrip posted:

no he will come back

Fuzzy are you able to relate to Chris/Sandi/CiG because your own project has taken 10 years to not release?

Absolutely.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fuzzy Modem posted:

Again, if Beer (or anyone else) was an employee, he can name his Shotgun page, and I can go look at the quality of his work, and what Sandi, and everyone else, had to say about it.
So, you're demanding this level of proof for CIG's misconduct. On the other hand, you're perfectly okay with accepting absence of evidence as proof of the game's being further in development than they've proved.

What would the point be in trying to convince you? How would you react to the Sandi/Beer email chain proven legitimate?

Reading your posts you really come across a bit like Dolvak saying "eh well those aren't proven to be legit," using the argument to cast suspicion while never having any intent on letting them influence your opinion if proven real.

State which evidence you'd accept as "proof" the emails were real, and how your opinion of Sandi would be influenced by such proof.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

My Shotgun page is "Cryo" My crowd funded project is called "CrossOver".

Absolutely.

do you think beer fabricated the emails?

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Google Butt posted:

do you think beer fabricated the emails?

I used the word "suspect" and stand by it.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I feel very glad in my heart for the people who got out several months ago during the last helicopter out of Hanoi days.

Cmon Sandi let a few more helicopters out

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

grimcreaper posted:

I've never been a fan of beer. I've tried many kinds and the only one I liked was a really dark German lager that was fairly sweet. My grandfather used to get it imported a few times a year but I can't think of what it was called.

Outside of that one beer every type tastes the same to me. The hops just overpower everything after the 4th sip or so and that's all I can taste from then on.
It's in the same way that hotdogs have that underlying flavor that just gets stronger as you take a new bite and eventually overpowers everything, even the ketchup.
That's the Belgian style, so probably a Dubbel or Tripel, of which I would recommend Rochefort, Chimay and Westmalle as exemplars.

Drink beer. Beer is good.
Since I missed it, Whisky is also good.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I've heard the phrase "those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it", but less often you hear the related phrase "those who DO study history are doomed to watch others repeat it" and I feel that's the heart and soul of this thread.

Nothing here is new. Chris Roberts has a history of failure and excess both in games and in movies. Now he's trying to make a movie game with backer money and nobody to answer to. We already know how this story ends.

We've seen it literally thousands of times over the years. It's not just Chris Roberts, Peter Molyneux, etc. - no matter the promises made during development, once you buy the game and load it up, within minutes you're seeing the "gamification" of the promised systems. You can see how they worked around limits, you can figure out the metagame, etc. It has always been like this, and it's not changing any time soon. Even if this comes out, within hours there will be wikis online telling people all the shortcuts through everything.

For every player who thinks he's gonna hide in a crate to be a space stowaway, there will be 100 players who are bunny-hopping all over the server rushing the shotgun respawns. For every player who wants to mine an asteroid, there are 100 who have memorized the most profitable run through the system and have been strip-mining it mercilessly. These fantasies won't just be destroyed by the game itself, but by its players. It simply can't work.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I used the word "suspect" and stand by it.

ask him for proof of their legitimacy and he'll provide it for you i'm sure, but before you waste his time answer all of this

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So, you're demanding this level of proof for CIG's misconduct. On the other hand, you're perfectly okay with accepting absence of evidence as proof of the game's being further in development than they've proved.

What would the point be in trying to convince you? How would you react to the Sandi/Beer email chain proven legitimate?

Reading your posts you really come across a bit like Dolvak saying "eh well those aren't proven to be legit," using the argument to cast suspicion while never having any intent on letting them influence your opinion if proven real.

State which evidence you'd accept as "proof" the emails were real, and how your opinion of Sandi would be influenced by such proof.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Grand Admiral [$2500+]

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Having not pledged any money to development, I wouldn't be particularly disappointed by a prettier Freelancer at some point in the future. I'd add it to the backlog when it shows up in a humble bundle in a few years.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

RIP Cutlass community.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

40% of people who have given a company money do not feel the company should honor its end of the deal. I was going to say something clever about that, but it's too depressing.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

ask him for proof of their legitimacy and he'll provide it for you i'm sure, but before you waste his time answer all of this

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I know exactly how much the game is progressing. I have a Shotgun account. I suppose if I didn't, I might be more skeptical, but then again I'd still be playing the SC alpha more than I play any other game. It's already the best space combat sim I've ever played. I don't really understand why people still lack optimism.

And yes, Sandi is my friend, and I don't like to hear people talk poo poo about my friends, even my friends who are less than perfect people, which is... let's see... yeah, all of them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I know exactly how much the game is progressing. I have a Shotgun account. I suppose if I didn't, I might be more skeptical, but then again I'd still be playing the SC alpha more than I play any other game. It's already the best space combat sim I've ever played. I don't really understand why people still lack optimism.

And yes, Sandi is my friend, and I don't like to hear people talk poo poo about my friends, even my friends who are less than perfect people, which is... let's see... yeah, all of them.

?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Fuzzy Modem posted:

:iamafag:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Samizdata posted:

He's just a hockey player. Not like he needs all those fingats...

But he needs them for . . . OTHER things. :wiggle:

TTerrible posted:

I SEE THE GOOD IN FUZZY MODEM. :(

He might be Kylo Ren. :ohdear:

. . . I keep thinking people are talking to me when they're talking to Fuzzy Modem. I seriously almost just replied to Google Butt with something like "OF COURSE I don't think Beer fabricated those emails; have you not read anything I've ever posted?!" And then I was going to reply to Squirrel Grip or somebody about the shotgun thing because I thought somebody wanted a picture of my shotgun for some reason.

THIS is why I asked Bootcha not to abbreviate my screen name.

I'm very confused. I think I'm going to go to bed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fuzzy Modem posted:

you realise you just answered literally none of what you quoted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HKS posted:

I feel very glad in my heart for the people who got out several months ago during the last helicopter out of Hanoi days.

Cmon Sandi let a few more helicopters out

The tell all book is going to be called "First They Denied My Refund."

http://www.amazon.com/First-They-Ki...illed+my+father

• Locked thread