Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think they're monitoring the thread for suggestions

Who the hell here came up with the idea of running a car dealership and offering drinks to suckers on the showroom floor?

Christ, everyday there is something about this game that is beyond amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also about UK people liking Sandi; as an American living in the UK I can confirm that most British people are basically miserable as poo poo. I guess it's the weather or something, or just another British'ism, but that might put a twist on "EveryoneThe peons love Sandi here!" angle.

Uhh excuse- actually no you're right haha :sigh: I'm sure they all hate her with a passion as well but stranger things have happened.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
List of features for next 4 Alpha iterations:

- Show Room
- Clothing Shop
- Weapons Shop
- Outlet Mall
- Arabian Market
- Bank where you can buy store credit*
- MoCapped NPC that reminds people that a substantial portion of the game has been released, as voiced by Andy Serkis.

*store credit not valid in-game.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

So a question for the more development oriented among us: how many of Star Citizen's problems are directly related to or magnified into showstoppers by the insistence on having the interiors of multicrew ships all be part of the same game world?

As in, if the basic design document and scope of star citizen (I know, I know) was unchanged other than putting all non-single-seat ship interiors into seperate cells, would they be further along?

I mean, the reason I ask is at least party because they seem to be reaping astonishingly little benefit from what seems to be one of the major technical hurdles. Like—if you could dynamically blow a hole in the side of a constellation and have it depressurize and watch stuff get sucked out into space, that would be a legitimate benefit to have everything on the same grid. But... instead we have static models you have to go through a transition animation to board anyway.

unless they have plans for an ifv ship

with little portholes the fellas can shoot out of

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
In the next live show someone should ask if the stimpire can be incorporated into the game somehow.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

EightAce posted:

The games industry is a very different beast. There are not that many jobs and not that many secure companies so when you land a decent gig you eat all the poo poo they throw at you until someone a bit higher up in the firm puts their CV around.
Normally what happens is this 'rat leaving a sinking shi' will bypass all recruitment horse poo poo and contact some old pals directly at other studios. Then when the ship hits the iceberg everyone that has ever said good morning to the aforementioned rat will be on linked in with the fucker before you can say Ardvark swift. And so the gaming world turns

I honestly feel so bad for devs who got a job there to make a fun spaceship mans game and are now chained up in some nightmare heironymus bosch painting of a work environment

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

G0RF posted:

5:04 - AN INGAME SPACESHIP SHOW-ROOM!: They are working on animations of NPCs in a spaceship showroom-- using mo-cap animations to have salesman pitching ships, customers reacting, and champagne being served. WTF?!

:chanpop:

I honestly can't believe that. How this could be consuming ANYONE's time, given the state of the game, is mind-blowing to me!

If you want a picture of the Star Citizen, imagine a conman selling you a spaceship forever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Romes128 posted:

Wow dude OPSEC

edit that poo poo out

poo poo, sorry. I made the post and then went to lunch and didn't see the bracket typo until I got back. I hope no one screen capped it or Derek is going to be pissed.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

BeefThief posted:

This isn't shot live and then uploaded is it? Why do they leave in the outtakes? Why does Sandi have to look at the paper every 3 words? Lesnick doesn't have to do that.

Does Sandi think she's going to be an actress if she can't memorize two lines? Yeesh. This whole thing fiasco is a bottomless pit of pitiful.

Honestly this has always amazed me - Ben the non-actor is better at memorizing scripts than Sandi is. I'm sure a lot of this is that Ben genuinely believes in Star Citizen, while Sandi just sees it as a chance to get money from nerds that she wouldn't normally talk to.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

G0RF posted:

5:04 - AN INGAME SPACESHIP SHOW-ROOM!: They are working on animations of NPCs in a spaceship showroom-- using mo-cap animations to have salesman pitching ships, customers reacting, and champagne being served. WTF?!

I honestly can't believe that. How this could be consuming ANYONE's time, given the state of the game, is mind-blowing to me!

Commando, this would be called immersive realism, a term you're obviously not familiar with. Get educated or you won't last long in the 'Universe.

(making stuff like that is relatively easy, making actualy gameplay mechanics is apparently beyond them)

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

So a question for the more development oriented among us: how many of Star Citizen's problems are directly related to or magnified into showstoppers by the insistence on having the interiors of multicrew ships all be part of the same game world?

As in, if the basic design document and scope of star citizen (I know, I know) was unchanged other than putting all non-single-seat ship interiors into seperate cells,

I mean, the reason I ask is at least party because they seem to be reaping astonishingly little benefit from what seems to be one of the major technical hurdles. Like—if you could dynamically blow a hole in the side of a constellation and have it depressurize and watch stuff get sucked out into space, that would be a legitimate benefit to have everything on the same grid. But... instead we have static models you have to go through a transition animation to board anyway.

unless they have plans for an ifv ship

with little portholes the fellas can shoot out of

It boils down to two things.
1) Chris hasn't made a game for eons and the initial pitch was a few turbo squid models drifting around with his stupid face everywhere
2) The phenomena of un approval. He will ask the impossible, the impossible will just about get functional ....Then the c*nt changes his mind and gets distracted with farming or birds or whatever the gently caress ... I believe Mr Jennison outlined this very succinctly in his departure missive.....that is fake of course

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

G0RF posted:

I ..

I just can't. This is loving with my head. The game is in a shambles, it barely runs, you can barely call it a game and they're spending time and energy building an in game showroom to squeeze more money out of people. The size of their balls is incredible.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

We should start a pool on how much clothes will cost in real dollars, since you know they are going to be selling them for real dollars.

I'm going to go with:

T-shirt: 10 USD
Pants: 10 USD
Hoodie or Jacket: 25 USD
Hats and Shoes 7.50 USD
Military version of anything above add 10 USD

I'll buy the winner an avatar of Sandi with an evil mustache mspainted on.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The ATV Interview with Luke Pressley is interesting, if you listen between the lines

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

I have seen more dignified professionals in better call Saul.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Illegal Move posted:

Chris Roberts steals EVERYTHING, not just ship designs! Proof:

This thread has shown me many things, some I never imagined, and some I wish I hadn't seen, but this, this...She-paaaaaaarp...will be with me...Always.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflz posted:

We should start a pool on how much clothes will cost in real dollars, since you know they are going to be selling them for real dollars.

I'm going to go with:

T-shirt: 10 USD
Pants: 10 USD
Hoodie or Jacket: 25 USD
Hats and Shoes 7.50 USD
Military version of anything above add 10 USD

I'll buy the winner an avatar of Sandi with an evil mustache mspainted on.

I bet it is subscription based somehow and you get a new set every month. New set being a new t-shirt and possibly shoes.*

*can't use store credit for subs either.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

BeefThief posted:

This isn't shot live and then uploaded is it? Why do they leave in the outtakes? Why does Sandi have to look at the paper every 3 words? Lesnick doesn't have to do that.

Huckaby gave an interview once and talked about how when he took over AtV, he found that "everything was so stiff and professional, I thought the spontaneous stuff going on between takes was more interesting, so I started putting that in the show!"

Unfortunately Ben and Sandi have anti-chemistry, so what this amounts to is Ben making a pun or awkward hand gesture and Sandi laughing at him for being dumb. Over and over and over again.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wait, so they're developing the in-game ship show-room, right? Meaning the game-currency shop?

They don't even have any loving gameplay yet. Their ships don't always fly. Why would anyone spend dev or artist time on the showroom?

I am increasingly convinced there are parts of their team that are habitually underutilized and somebody keeps making up busy projects to keep the team of artists employed.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Mendrian posted:

Wait, so they're developing the in-game ship show-room, right? Meaning the game-currency shop?

They don't even have any loving gameplay yet. Their ships don't always fly. Why would anyone spend dev or artist time on the showroom?

I am increasingly convinced there are parts of their team that are habitually underutilized and somebody keeps making up busy projects to keep the team of artists employed.

to quote myself
' What they are working on now is unbelievable'

I thankyou ....

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mendrian posted:

The game hasn't hit on the possibility of role playing a ship salesman in space yet, they gave the people newsvans and such, don't ruin the immersion.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Huckaby gave an interview once and talked about how when he took over AtV, he found that "everything was so stiff and professional, I thought the spontaneous stuff going on between takes was more interesting, so I started putting that in the show!"

Unfortunately Ben and Sandi have anti-chemistry, so what this amounts to is Ben making a pun or awkward hand gesture and Sandi laughing at him for being dumb. Over and over and over again.

Their whole relationship can be summarized thusly:

"Oh you."

:eye-roll:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

List of features for next 4 Alpha iterations:

- Show Room
- Clothing Shop
- Weapons Shop
- Outlet Mall
- Arabian Market
- Bank where you can buy store credit*
- MoCapped NPC that reminds people that a substantial portion of the game has been released, as voiced by Andy Serkis.

*store credit not valid in-game.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hope I can run my own space car wash I mean spacehip space wash

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
EightAce found this last year

:eyepop:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lol that guy just talked about the ship showroom they didn't actually show anything. then he talked about some internal tool that lets them prevent super secret sq42 stuff from being included in PU builds lest they spoil the story lol

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

looks like 2016 will be a good year for people interested in buying remaindered restoration hardware furniture

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

lmao

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Like idiots already buy ships anyway, people used things to make sure they had the fastest click first to buy a javelin when there was a limited sale and there was only concept art, why waste time making an in game showroom when they could be making a game

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
14:11:Sandi is not amused with her characterization as the LineReader, guys.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 4, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mendrian posted:

Their whole relationship can be summarized thusly:

"Oh you."

:eye-roll:

how you know that early simpsons is a classic worthy of the western canon.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I hate CIG so much and am continually delighted by them

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Mendrian posted:

It make perfect corporate sense. So far CIG only area of expertise is merchandising, so they focus on core competences. SC is all about buying things.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

G0RF posted:

LOL its all about the ship sales.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

EightAce posted:

to quote myself

I thankyou ....

I was wondering if this was that :allears:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

EightAce posted:

to quote myself

I thankyou ....

I was wondering if that's what you were talking about! dozens of ships and variants, 99 more star systems, hundreds of locations and thousands of npcs left to create and they're doing THAT? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ToZW4o9AE&t=810s

At around 13 minutes in, the only gameplay footage so far is this circus themed festival of jank.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

EightAce posted:

to quote myself

I thankyou ....

Yep, first thought I had. We put in our best guesses. Getting bottled water, champagne and mo-capped hotdogs while we sign loans in the showroom and get stuck with clear coat protection was outside out of our meager minds.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

EightAce posted:

to quote myself

I thankyou ....

Will it be in 2.2???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo