Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

fuzzknot posted:

It went downhill from there.
Just buy him a rice maker. Can't gently caress that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EightAce posted:

Hell yeah! USA, USA, UEE... Er stimpire.
Booyah!

This guy gets it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Loiosh posted:

I check in from time-to-time, but I feel it would be inappropriate to comment further until I actually go for the refund, otherwise I'm just a prap'ing person, and that's something I try to avoid. Meanwhile, I've been reading. Finished the Parasite series by Mira Grant, The Bands of Mourning and Mistborn: Secret History by Brandon Sanderson, Gyreworld by Eve Forward/someone, rereading The Expanse (that TV show is great, by the by), and currently reading City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett and Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds at the same time (alternating chapters between the books).

The last two weeks have been crazy in terms of entertainment, a novel and novella from Sanderson, the sequel to one of my favorite books ever (City of Stairs), and Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Witness and Firewatch all coming out. On the SC front, I haven't seen anything that's bettered my opinion. They have such a long way to go, meanwhile, far more entertaining experiences are here to have, so I'm having them.

I also watched all of Arrow and Flash during the Christmas break and found that I really came to like Arrow by Season 3. I find The Arrow to be one of the best shows on TV by the end of that season, especially in how they handled the relationships vs how CWish the first season was (and Flash Season 1). There's nothing I dislike more than the love triangle trope and associated monogamy/jealousy drama.

lo9l by season 3 of The Arrow you should have had the opposite reaction and just dropped it entirely. I managed to watch the first episode or two of Flash and Arrow this season and just ugh.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

EightAce posted:

Fedora's
Beards
Adventure time t shirts
full sleave tats
Pervy weird anime 3d prints on desks

and loving vapes

should be banned in any game dev environment.

Haha what? Ban vapes? How can I make the ever so clever joke about wanting to suck on the robot dick if coworkers can't use these thing?

Also, game dev without adventure time or anime prints? Lol.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Nalin posted:

Just buy him a rice maker. Can't gently caress that up.

I told him we're getting him a good Corningware dish this weekend since it's versatile. He doesn't have a lot of storage space in his kitchen, so I'd rather see him get stuff that can be used for plenty of other things. On the other hand, perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for him to get rid of the Foreman grill . . .

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

fuzzknot posted:

I love idiot markers like that; it saves me from wasting time conversing with them.

There's a vape store on the same street as my house, every time I look in there on the way home or out somewhere I see guys that look like they're really invested into Star Citizen.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Goobs posted:

There's a vape store on the same street as my house, every time I look in there on the way home or out somewhere I see guys that look like they're really invested into Star Citizen.

:stonklol: The next great Star Citizen gimmick: Space vaping. Probably with a real-life tie in. $400.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

fuzzknot posted:

I told him we're getting him a good Corningware dish this weekend since it's versatile. He doesn't have a lot of storage space in his kitchen, so I'd rather see him get stuff that can be used for plenty of other things. On the other hand, perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for him to get rid of the Foreman grill . . .

BLASPHEMY!

The foreman grill is amazing. :colbert:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Whatever, the practical benefits of my stupid tutti-frutti robot dick outweigh the fact that it makes me look like a loving autist.

(no, I'm not bitter!)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Whatever, the practical benefits of my stupid tutti-frutti robot dick outweigh the fact that it makes me look like a loving autist.

(no, I'm not bitter!)

I believe you because beets don't taste

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

fuzzknot posted:

:stonklol: The next great Star Citizen gimmick: Space vaping. Probably with a real-life tie in. $400.

You won't believe what they are working on now...

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

DigitalMocking posted:

BLASPHEMY!

The foreman grill is amazing. :colbert:

Bah, humbug.

One thing at a time. Rather than a rice cooker, the next small appliance should be a good KitchenAid stand mixer. I have sung the praises of mine and insist he get one since the little hand mixer is only a stand-in. Perhaps NEXT Christmas.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Up $500 on slots and drinking some beer flights

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I believe you because beets don't taste

Future beets do. The beets I'm going to grow in my $900 space plantation non-slave-using farm will taste a hundred different ways!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like that this is like Games Social

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Goddamn that is a profoundly stupid thing to prioritise.

What's next, a very slow-paced Adventure Capitalist-esque game to earn UEC in, that they'll sell super-multiplier power ups for?

It's going to be exactly that, isn't it.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

cocaine dad show posted:

all of that trilogy is great, The Scar is one of my favourite books

gently caress yes, all of this.

Perdido St. -> Scar -> Iron Council trilogy first, then Embassytown or Railsea, for a whole different kind of madness.

China Mieville is one of the greatest writers ever, and has a truly weird & horrifying imagination that the the guy who came up with the stimpire could only dream of.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Eonwe posted:

Up $500 on slots and drinking some beer flights

Stop gambling immediately and enjoy wasting the $500 on frivolous poo poo like shows, food and silly drinks.

It's the only way to beat the house.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

(no, I'm not bitter!)

benefits such as?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rhubarb94 posted:

Stop gambling immediately and enjoy wasting the $500 on frivolous poo poo like shows, food and silly drinks.

It's the only way to beat the house.

Thats why I just rob prostitutes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ShredsYouSay posted:

Goddamn that is a profoundly stupid thing to prioritise.

What's next, a very slow-paced Adventure Capitalist-esque game to earn UEC in, that they'll sell super-multiplier power ups for?

It's going to be exactly that, isn't it.

No, because no matter what stupid we expect of them they manage to outstupid themselves

It's all hopeless and the thought of it makes me very sad and depressed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Future beets do. The beets I'm going to grow in my $900 space plantation non-slave-using farm will taste a hundred different ways!!

I'll man your ship and do manual fertilization

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

He said beat the house, not beat the hos.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Booblord Zagats posted:

It doesn't count as beating the house if you are dead in the desert.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

No, because no matter what stupid we expect of them they manage to outstupid themselves

It's all hopeless and the thought of it makes me very sad and depressed

At least you have snus to keep the darkness at bay.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

fuzzknot posted:

"Whisky" refers to Scotch whisky, while "whiskey" refers to Irish or other whiskeys. As a mnemonic, "whiskey" with an e comes from countries with an e in the name, and vice versa.

There are a number of U.S. distillers that use the "whisky" variant. Off the top of my head: Balcones, down in Texas always goes with that variation; Hudson Valley in NY has a new "Chancellor's Imperial Whisky", Syntax's big cat whisky (think they're CO?), Wade Lyn has a really lovely product going with the "whisky" variant now too.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

TTerrible posted:

If they've hosed up on PCI then 'verse help them.

People in the thread are seriously overestimating how much chargebacks, PCI, etc, will have an impact. Frankly speaking, unless RSI is breached and backer PII/credit card data is exposed, PCI really isn't going to be a factor. Unless RSI starts getting hit by orders of magnitude more denied refund requests and subsequent chargeback requests, those chargebacks aren't going to have a noticeable impact beyond simply issuing the refunds would have.

The fact that they're denying refunds is not proof that they are running out of money, merely circumstantial evidence implying it. It is not uncommon for businesses to deny refunds if they think they can get away with it - they have your money, why would they want to give it back? Certainly, one thing from the CS e-mails from RSI is true - it's not like they just have $100mil sitting around in an account somewhere. If they were to try and refund all remaining backers and shut down with the available money, I imagine most backers would only get a fraction of the money spent back.

That's why the whole GET A REFUND CITIZEN thing is so important to do ASAP, for anyone who still has skin in the game. While they're still pretending that everything is hunky-dory and that a product will be delivered, it'll be possible for the people who try and get out early to get their pieces of the pie intact. Once the house of cards collapses, anyone who's left will either get nothing or a very thin slice of what they put in because most of the money that RSI received was already spent.

The worst (and best) part about the Star Citizen debacle is that public confidence in crowdfunding as a whole is going to (rightfully) take a hit because people were dumb enough to keep giving money to Chris Roberts - to the tune of $100 million. That's a hundred million dollars taken out of the hands of consumers who were too dumb to exercise some basic rational judgement about the state of the project. For some backers, it'll be a very expensive lesson; for others, it's a parking ticket. However, I don't expect crowdfunding to significantly change. Who's not going to want to be the next Star Citizen?

Let's be realistic here; there will be no meaningful consequences or punishment for RSI. Chris Roberts is not going to crawl away from this, heartbroken and suicidal because he couldn't finish a project despite only raising $100,000,000 with zero financial accountability. He, his wife, and all the rest of the top-level management are going to skip off into the sunset with all of the money they pocketed, and the only people who are really going to suffer from this are the idiot whales who gave it to them.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I love how completely miscalculated features like the showroom and the million mile high club are. Like even as cynical ploys to make money they completely miss the mark, not even whales care about them. Nobody gave CIG money so they could they join the million mile high club. Nobody is going to buy a ship because its being featured in the showroom. They are complete resource sinks.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Bensday with Batgirl and Ben eps 42

This is one of those interesting "read between the lines" episodes that is both boring as hell yet pregnant with interesting tidbits. At least for those here paying close attention. If you have a beer nearby, the drinking game for this video is (surprise) "Wing Commander" mentions. (Do not use a distilled spirit.)

----
THE SUMMIT
Ben will not comment on the details of the Summit beyond that "iterative persistent universe patches will be released over the year". Kind of lame that Ben wouldn't at least tell her about the SalesFloor plans since he already knew they'd be announcing it on Around the Verse this week. (Come on, Ben-- she's a hardcore fan doing the good work of flacking Star Citizen constantly. Give her a scoop every once in a while!)

---
"WHEN ARE FEMALE MODELS COMING? I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR TWO YEARS..."
They're coming "soon" as in "not anytime in the near future." So don't hold your breath, i_still_trust_cig. Your wife is going to be calling it Sausage Citizen for at least another year.

---

SHIP PIPELINE
Boring, but later, there's this part. Where Batgirl starts to ask Ben POINT BLANK for estimated completion percentages for a list of ships she wants to read to him-- and his mouth drops a bit before he steers back towards her earlier questions...

Eventually, she steers him back and asks for progress reports on 5 ships.... Each one "needs more passes", "graphics passes", "balancing passes", "another pass, someday, down the line", etc. Then he just flat out saves himself the trouble and says "basically every single one of our ships will have another pass for components, and for variant constructions in the future."

---
"TURRETS ARE NOT FUN."

Ben concedes the point. Unsurprisingly, there's a "big pass coming up on turrets!", then details some of what CIG feels is missing in the Turret gunner experience. As he describes potential plans they have to remediate this problem (and there are a couple they're considering, thus they don't really know yet...) my mind drifts once again to the Spaceship Salesfloor...

---
CAMOUFLAGE!
Batgirl asks about the special ship camouflage. Ben punts, promising things will be revealed soon.

---
MELT TOKEN
Ben says the reason token can't stack is a development limitation, not because they don't want backers to have more of them. Sure.

---

All in all, a pretty good episode, if you like Wing Commander mentions. Otherwise, YMMV...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's cool how they manage to distill cigarettes and feet into every drop of dark stout

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Nobody gave CIG money so they could they join the million mile high club. Nobody is going to buy a ship because its being featured in the showroom. They are complete resource sinks.
Speak for yourself commando. I'm pretty sure some whales spent a few more extra bucks to get in the 'exclusive' mile high club. Because how awesome is this that you can drink space cocktails and space dance in a space space space.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Olesh posted:

People in the thread are seriously overestimating how much chargebacks, PCI, etc, will have an impact. Frankly speaking, unless RSI is breached and backer PII/credit card data is exposed, PCI really isn't going to be a factor. Unless RSI starts getting hit by orders of magnitude more denied refund requests and subsequent chargeback requests, those chargebacks aren't going to have a noticeable impact beyond simply issuing the refunds would have.

The fact that they're denying refunds is not proof that they are running out of money, merely circumstantial evidence implying it. It is not uncommon for businesses to deny refunds if they think they can get away with it - they have your money, why would they want to give it back? Certainly, one thing from the CS e-mails from RSI is true - it's not like they just have $100mil sitting around in an account somewhere. If they were to try and refund all remaining backers and shut down with the available money, I imagine most backers would only get a fraction of the money spent back.

That's why the whole GET A REFUND CITIZEN thing is so important to do ASAP, for anyone who still has skin in the game. While they're still pretending that everything is hunky-dory and that a product will be delivered, it'll be possible for the people who try and get out early to get their pieces of the pie intact. Once the house of cards collapses, anyone who's left will either get nothing or a very thin slice of what they put in because most of the money that RSI received was already spent.

The worst (and best) part about the Star Citizen debacle is that public confidence in crowdfunding as a whole is going to (rightfully) take a hit because people were dumb enough to keep giving money to Chris Roberts - to the tune of $100 million. That's a hundred million dollars taken out of the hands of consumers who were too dumb to exercise some basic rational judgement about the state of the project. For some backers, it'll be a very expensive lesson; for others, it's a parking ticket. However, I don't expect crowdfunding to significantly change. Who's not going to want to be the next Star Citizen?

Let's be realistic here; there will be no meaningful consequences or punishment for RSI. Chris Roberts is not going to crawl away from this, heartbroken and suicidal because he couldn't finish a project despite only raising $100,000,000 with zero financial accountability. He, his wife, and all the rest of the top-level management are going to skip off into the sunset with all of the money they pocketed, and the only people who are really going to suffer from this are the idiot whales who gave it to them.

This gentleman is pretty much bang on the money. Except the fact that the upper management will get away with a couple
mill here and there. CIG can even gently caress up a heist don't forget

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The focus on developing expensive, luxury nightclubs and fancy car dealerships is telling of the personality driving development decisions.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

alphabettitouretti posted:

Imagine the worst pain imaginable doubling every second.

Can we just rename the thread to this already.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

MELT TOKEN
Ben says the reason token can't stack is a development limitation, not because they don't want backers to have more of them. Sure.

This will be a nice test of /r/starcitizen, if they go back to discussing it

It's such a stupidly obvious cash-grab that someone actually might call them out on it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also "turrets" sounds like "turds" and that's p funny

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Olesh posted:

and the only people who are really going to suffer from this are the idiot whales who gave it to them.

And Ben. Poor Ben.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

fuzzknot posted:

Have you considered a pressure cooker that does other things? I got a decent one for the holidays and it will do rice easily enough, while also being very useful for a multitude of other recipes.

Fastest way to make soft sweet carrots IMO.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

And Ben. Poor Ben.

He'll not suffer for long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

benefits such as?

Well women don't talk to me any more for one...

No but actually I breathe so much better/easier after moving from cigarettes to this thing (and hopefully even more so after I ditch this thing) which is really helpful because being able to breathe better is way cool.

It also is really handy because I spend a lot of my spare time freediving, taking pictures of sharks and shooting fish and stuff. Being able to breathe deeper and stretch my lungs out more helps extend my bottom time and makes recovery sessions easier.

• Locked thread