Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Winhill is a chill place. The game captures the post-Laguna melancholy of it really well. It's a shame you never really have to go there for anything beyond a sidequest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

This guy's down in the dumps. I can't find any record that we didn't encourage him, so it must be his own fault.

I forget what exactly his behavior is if you both encourage and discourage him in conversation on disc 1. Either encourage takes precedence, discourage takes precedence, or it just uses whichever one you did last.

NB that you can only do either if you revisit Timber on disc 1. If you wait until now, it's too late, and you can't encourage him on your required trip through town.

Either way, if you had encouraged him he'd have been doing better and would have given you a Pet Nametag. :shrug:

Cool Ghost posted:

There are some other items you can get, too. I think you can make a mother chocobo pop out if you hassle the babies long enough, but that seems rude, so I didn't do it.

There's some great poetic justice in the mama's response though.

Anyway, first kick-the-baby gets you the vase piece. Second gets you Gysahl Greens. Third is more interesting in that the game lies to you: it tells you the reward is a Phoenix Down, but it's actually a Phoenix Pinion, which is a bit more interesting for reasons I expect you'll show off whenever you get one.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Agent Michael Thorton?

This post didn't get enough love.

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

This post didn't get enough love.
Much like Thorton himself.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ConstantDelays posted:

Much like Thorton himself.

Depending on how you played the game that might not be true.

(but yes, I know what you mean)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Vil posted:

Either way, if you had encouraged him he'd have been doing better and would have given you a Pet Nametag. :shrug:

No encouragement - not good manners :(

Apparently doing 100% anything has its tricks.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

So much content I've never seen and this was one of my favorite games as a teen. Everything in the last 2 updates I've never seen. This LP rules.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
This LP is teaching me just how many weird rear end sidequests and lore moments they put into the game that are basically impossible to stumble upon without a guide. I've beaten FF8 at least two times and had absolutely no idea the rest of the world was as detailed as Balamb.

Like that vase thing. For a single Holy Stone. What the hell?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Welp, I started another playthrough thanks to this LP. Even beat X-ATM092 this time! :getin: It may have taken me forever to get the necessary cards for the Tornado and Thundaga junctions because the Steam version naturally doesn't have savestates.

I've also been looking at some graphics mods because I wanted proper button icons for the UI and that required installing Tonberry, which is the thing that handles all those mods. The character retextures look okay even if the hi-res main characters look a bit out of place next to all the janky NPCs, but things like Project Eden just don't work at all. Project Eden is this huge mod that makes all the backgrounds "HD", meaning that someone smoothed them out in Photoshop and called it a day. I understand there's only so much you can do with a mod like that unless you have access to the original hi-res background images, but I just can't figure out how anyone thinks the end result looks good. They're probably the same people who use the 2xSaI and SuperEagle filters on emulators because they can't stand seeing the pixels.

click here for DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED BACKGROUNDS (edit: I just realized some of those screenshots show major areas we haven't been to yet in the LP, so watch out if you want to stay totally unspoiled)

There is also the "HD" Triple Triad mod (which might have been mentioned in this thread, I vaguely recall people talking about it), which does make the UI elements all sharp and shiny but replaces the original cards' artwork (aside from character cards, which use nicer-looking versions of the original art) with pictures of the 3D models. That's kinda what the monster cards were in the first place, but at least Square tried to make them look a bit nicer and certainly didn't replace the GF cards' art with the lovely 3D models standing around. :gonk: The fonts are also hideous, which is the case with the general menu overhaul as well. I just wanted my xbox button prompts dammit :reject:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 6, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

Like that vase thing. For a single Holy Stone. What the hell?

It's less for the holy stone itself and more for seeing things around Winhill now in the present, and getting some more information about what happened with Raine / Ellone / Laguna after that third Laguna sequence.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Doc Morbid posted:

Welp, I started another playthrough thanks to this LP. Even beat X-ATM092 this time! :getin: It may have taken me forever to get the necessary cards for the Tornado and Thundaga junctions because the Steam version naturally doesn't have savestates.

I've also been looking at some graphics mods because I wanted proper button icons for the UI and that required installing Tonberry, which is the thing that handles all those mods. The character retextures look okay even if the hi-res main characters look a bit out of place next to all the janky NPCs, but things like Project Eden just don't work at all. Project Eden is this huge mod that makes all the backgrounds "HD", meaning that someone smoothed them out in Photoshop and called it a day. I understand there's only so much you can do with a mod like that unless you have access to the original hi-res background images, but I just can't figure out how anyone thinks the end result looks good. They're probably the same people who use the 2xSaI and SuperEagle filters on emulators because they can't stand seeing the pixels.

click here for DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED BACKGROUNDS

There is also the "HD" Triple Triad mod (which might have been mentioned in this thread, I vaguely recall people talking about it), which does make the UI elements all sharp and shiny but replaces the original cards' artwork (aside from character cards, which use nicer-looking versions of the original art) with pictures of the 3D models. That's kinda what the monster cards were in the first place, but at least Square tried to make them look a bit nicer and certainly didn't replace the GF cards' art with the lovely 3D models standing around. :gonk: The fonts are also hideous, which is the case with the general menu overhaul as well. I just wanted my xbox button prompts dammit :reject:

I think I might be blind, but I see no difference in quality in those screenshots.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
They upsized the backgrounds then applied a filter to it, from what I can tell.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That's what it looks like to me, too. At least they didn't go super-overboard with the filtering, but it's...not really an improvement. At all.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Some pixelated spots have been slightly smoothed out but its definitely not worth loving with your game

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Like, if you're gonna gently caress with graphics in one of the PC FF games, it would be a much more worthy project to take a hammer to the character sprites in FF5 and FF6 and make them not be poo poo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vil posted:

Like, if you're gonna gently caress with graphics in one of the PC FF games, it would be a much more worthy project to take a hammer to the character sprites in FF5 and FF6 and make them not be poo poo.

Someone's working on it for 6. Since it's a big undertaking, he's asking for some help.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Silegna posted:

I think I might be blind, but I see no difference in quality in those screenshots.
Yes, you might want to get that looked at, although being blind does make your limit breaks better. :v: Seriously though, those comparison shots aren't very good. I briefly tried the mod and it looked like absolute crap on my screen.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

Yes, you might want to get that looked at, although being blind does make your limit breaks better. :v: Seriously though, those comparison shots aren't very good. I briefly tried the mod and it looked like absolute crap on my screen.

Have we actually gone over Crisis Levels yet?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I talked about crisis levels during the SeeD exam.

Those backgrounds, though, wow. I really like the one of the directory in Balamb Garden where the filter makes the font look like complete garbage. Also, why did they just mirror the left side for all of them except the directory one?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kheldarn posted:

Someone's working on it for 6. Since it's a big undertaking, he's asking for some help.

I'm sure that this ground has been tread a billion times on these forums, but the new sprites are disgusting and actively dissuaded me from making those purchases.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

I talked about crisis levels during the SeeD exam.

Those backgrounds, though, wow. I really like the one of the directory in Balamb Garden where the filter makes the font look like complete garbage. Also, why did they just mirror the left side for all of them except the directory one?

Right, been a bit then. Crisis Levels are definitely the MOST convoluted Limit Break system.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Silegna posted:

Right, been a bit then. Crisis Levels are definitely the MOST convoluted Limit Break system.

What about Final Fantasy VI's? I didn't even know that game had a Limit Break system until Dissidia came out and I saw Terra's Riot Blade.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about Final Fantasy VI's? I didn't even know that game had a Limit Break system until Dissidia came out and I saw Terra's Riot Blade.
That system isn't convoluted, it's just a small percent chance when you're at critical health when you use the attack command. The reason it's so rare is:
1. There are no benefits to being at critical health,
2. You have no reason to use the basic attack command when you're at the point in the game where you can hang around critical health without being in danger,
3. It's a really, really small chance.

Compared to FFVIII's where you have to take into account health level, debuffs, frequency of use, how other party members are doing, etc.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

So Ellone, the little girl that Laguna was looking after, is the same girl who went off with the white SEEDS on that boat? Is that right?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Yeah, that's right.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

That system isn't convoluted, it's just a small percent chance when you're at critical health when you use the attack command. The reason it's so rare is:
1. There are no benefits to being at critical health,
2. You have no reason to use the basic attack command when you're at the point in the game where you can hang around critical health without being in danger,
3. It's a really, really small chance.

Compared to FFVIII's where you have to take into account health level, debuffs, frequency of use, how other party members are doing, etc.

I think its 1/16, and yeah definitely nothing to rely on. But definitely a Godsend when you're in bad times.

But I remember the first time I saw it. Terra knocked in the loving face of one of those wiry dragons on the floating continent after wiping everyone else out. Had no business surviving that fight.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The best thing relating to FF6 desperation attacks is in Nakar's LLG where Gogo, only there to Rage Nightshade so Kefka killed himself, pulled a useless Double Meteor out of his rear end.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
For me it was Cyan's Black Omen while I was messing around WoR Doma getting some AP for X-Zone. Was bored, kept hitting the attack button because meh, then all of a sudden he tosses out a black hole and I was like 'whut.'

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

I think "have to" is a bit strong, inasmuch as the first time I played 8 I was assuming limits worked the same way they did in 7 and while this wasn't true behind the scenes, effectively I got limits when I expected to get limits, so it worked well enough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Yellow health = murderin' time" is really all you need to know, and is all I knew for the longest time. Eventually I noticed that limits hit a bit harder if you were at particularly low health.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

"Yellow health = murderin' time" is really all you need to know, and is all I knew for the longest time. Eventually I noticed that limits hit a bit harder if you were at particularly low health.

Once you realize (or read in an FAQ) that you can basically re-roll for a limit just by spamming the menu button, everything about crisis levels becomes basically irrelevant, since you're already breaking the hell out of the system.

Also, if you self impose some kind of rules on your limit breaks (one per battle or every X minutes or whatever), holy crap the whole character of the combat changes. Suddenly all the stuff that's outclassed by endless limits actually has a point.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Chalk up another one who has started a new run through of VIII thanks to this LP.

Also for those considering the other mobile FFs, they are on the Vita store but they are the PSone versions so toss up between long loading times and the lovely sprites on mobile.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

Once you realize (or read in an FAQ) that you can basically re-roll for a limit just by spamming the menu button, everything about crisis levels becomes basically irrelevant, since you're already breaking the hell out of the system.

Also, if you self impose some kind of rules on your limit breaks (one per battle or every X minutes or whatever), holy crap the whole character of the combat changes. Suddenly all the stuff that's outclassed by endless limits actually has a point.

Know what's difficult? An All magic/gf run with no Limits. My god, do things hit hard when you don't have Limits to just break people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah if you leave off limits this game is actually challenging. I don't bother with duel spam because it's a pain in the rear end but renzokuken reliably dishes out 4-9 hits at good damage. That's enough for most foes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The first time I was playing through FFVIII, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing junction-wise so the game was actually pretty challenging. Then my friend came over, said "dude your junctions are poo poo, let me help" and proceeded to help me by setting up some really broken stuff and showing me how to spam Renzokuken all day. The game still got pretty hard towards the end because he didn't teach me about refining items/spells or keeping my levels low, but for a while I was steamrolling through everything. Obviously, since I was still in the "more levels = better" mindset, I ended up with my main party at level 100.

On my second run I also ended up at lv100 despite knowing what I was doing. The reason I did that isn't exactly a huge spoiler and is purely game mechanics stuff, but it's a long while before we get there and I'll talk about it then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I always leveled up normally and never found the game to be particularly difficult. What did I not notice?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ultrafilter posted:

I always leveled up normally and never found the game to be particularly difficult. What did I not notice?

Everything stat scaling, I suppose?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That, and not really updating your junctions as you level up. I said I didn't know what I was doing. :downs:

It isn't easy to do unless you're a complete idiot (which I definitely was), but you can get in situation where the enemies are quite tough. My first playthrough was pretty much a "no breaking the game" challenge run, except not on purpose.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My last 'challenge run' was No Magic Junction, No Items (except Blue Magic/Magazines/Diablos' Lamp), Attack/Limit Only, No Invincible Moon, No Escape (other than X-ATM092), No Refine.

It actually ended up being pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I've never NOT levelled to 100 as soon as the Islands Closest To Heaven/Hell became available. I have never attacked an enemy (bosses included) more than twice since I understood the system. Keeping your levels low is just drudgery that has no point whatsoever.

• Locked thread