Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the genetic traits thing is kind of annoying. I feel like there should be distinct, non-congenital equivalent traits that are given as the result of events, and save the genetic ones for a random chance on birth alone.

I don't really mind the hands-off-ness of the system otherwise - I never tended to bother too much with micromanaging my kids anyway. I do kind of wish there was an "I don't care" option you could pick, though, which would basically just give them a random childhood/education focus, as it is kind of annoying to keep getting reminders to set the focus for some random courtier's child that isn't even related to me.

heritage is the i dont care for early childhood after that when they reach twelve just close ur eyes and pick one of the 5

the courtier poo poo is dumb i dont care about that unless i have them special marked which i dont so stopppp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

cock hero flux posted:

It's honestly still incredibly trivial to raise superkids because if you just give every child the Struggle focus, and have a bunch of children, you will almost certainly end up with one that becomes Strong and Strong is like the second best trait in the entire game.

The rest of them come out retarded, too, so it's easy to cull them and leave the Strong ones behind to inherit.
I'd disagree with a lot of this. One trait isn't "superkids," useful as it may be, even if it were one kid getting it out of however many isn't superkids, also since it's unlikely to be the kid that inherits the process of shenanigans or evilness to clear out the rest isn't really something that I want to do...

I mean, I don't want to be able to make every ruler in line a brave, just, ambitious genius. But I would prefer more control than what this really seems to offer.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

all my daughters are running off with mercenary captains twice their age, why is this happening

one captain got both of my twin daughters

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 5, 2016

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
Post from Doomdark on the forums about the future of Conclave and 2.5 mechanics:

Doomdark posted:

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all busy playing Conclave, and I wish to give a huge thanks to everyone who has bought this latest expansion! Thanks to you all, we are still able to keep supporting and developing Crusader Kings II; which will actually turn 4 years old on Valentine’s Day!

Rest assured that we are listening to all constructive feedback both here on our own forums and elsewhere, and are already hard at work preparing a fairly major update. In particular, I find that a lot of comments concerning the new Coalition mechanics and the intricacies of “Shattered Retreats” merit our immediate attention. You can expect us to address the following issues very soon:

Coalitions:
  • 25% Infamy threshold issues (Coalition formation should be a far more gradual process depending on your Infamy level.)
  • Immersion/realism issues concerning distance and differences in religion.
  • Coalitions should be purely defensive (no exceptions or extra rules.)
  • There should be reasonable caps on Infamy gain and lowest possible Infamy decay rates.
(Btw, Coalitions were primarily added to make the game more challenging for huge, aggressively expanding player realms. That intention should serve as the primary measuring stick for the system.)

Shattered Retreats:
  • Raiders should not bother you anymore if defeated once.
  • You should get much more War Score from winning battles in general, and even more for winning battles against Adventurers.
  • Retreating armies should be in trouble in neutral and hostile provinces (perhaps through attrition.)
  • Bugs will be fixed with where armies retreat.
(The main intention with the Shattered Retreat mechanic is to keep countries viable and able to bounce back even after losing a major battle or two. Though you should not be able to easily “blitz” a country, neither should wars drag out for much longer than necessary.)

Other issues will be fixed down the line. For example, we are also looking at fleshing out and improving the new Education system.

So, keep the faith and let’s make the game better together!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

all my daughters are running off with mercenary captains twice their age, why is this happening

one captain got both of my twin daughters
Chicks dig scars.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hooray thats all i needed

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

alcaras posted:

TL;DR: tips for being elective Gavelkind tribal (apart from reform asap)

Personally I have one son and then divorce the wife and don't remarry. Then you just pray some asswipe doesn't happen to successfully murder your sole heir!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

yaaaay :buddy:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahaha what the hell

I just got an event where my king and a bunch of random courtiers were capering about dressed as wildmen, and someone set everyone involved on fire, causing a profusion of wounds and maimings (my king escaped with just a wound).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

Ahahaha what the hell

I just got an event where my king and a bunch of random courtiers were capering about dressed as wildmen, and someone set everyone involved on fire, causing a profusion of wounds and maimings (my king escaped with just a wound).

It was a real thing, the Bal des Ardents:

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I thought I was safe in hesitating to pick up the new expansion but unfortunately as I booted up my game to check up on it, it seems that I'm seeing new bells and whistles that seem tied to the conclave expansion. I took a look at some of the reviews and the reaction seems mixed, like some BS with if you grow too fast you get the entire world on you, such as muslims and catholics uniting to stop you and other such bullshit.

Should I just wait now until they balance it out before trying to play again? Can anyone give me a rundown of the expansion, like legitimate concerns or overblown whining and everything in between?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blackray Jack posted:

I thought I was safe in hesitating to pick up the new expansion but unfortunately as I booted up my game to check up on it, it seems that I'm seeing new bells and whistles that seem tied to the conclave expansion. I took a look at some of the reviews and the reaction seems mixed, like some BS with if you grow too fast you get the entire world on you, such as muslims and catholics uniting to stop you and other such bullshit.

Should I just wait now until they balance it out before trying to play again? Can anyone give me a rundown of the expansion, like legitimate concerns or overblown whining and everything in between?

Yeap. See a few posts above, they are already preparing a major update to fix and balance coalitions, infamy and the shattered retreat thing. These are the features most people are complaining about.

I hope they change the new education thing a bit too. From what Im reading here, it seems disappointing for the lack of interaction and the fact that, apparently, your kid can develop new genetic traits during childhood.

Other than that, the conclave council mechanics in itself seems awesome and most people have approved it.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 5, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Man, some people are hilariously mad over even the concept of coalitions even existing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
One rear end in a top hat vassal manipulating the rest of the Council blocked slight levy focus on noble Obligations. Several bribes and sackings later I have passed it, and ended up sacking rear end in a top hat advisor anyway.

He decided on an independence faction.

Still loving it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the genetic traits thing is kind of annoying. I feel like there should be distinct, non-congenital equivalent traits that are given as the result of events, and save the genetic ones for a random chance on birth alone.

I think whoever wrote the new childhood events must have forgotten that these are supposed to be congenital/inheritable traits, because the whole thing is dumb as poo poo. It was cool when Zunbils could spontaneously generate those traits, because ~*~*~mystical sun god power~*~*~, but when everyone's doing it it's just gibberish.

The traits screen is getting a bit crowded, though, so I'm not sure actual fit/flabby/incorrigible dipshit traits are the way to go here. Give one-time bonuses to base stats, maybe? Or just rejigger the interface so the trait bar has room to breathe.

cock hero flux posted:

Strong is like the second best trait in the entire game.

It's more like fourth, behind genius, quick and ambitious, maybe fifth depending on how you rate patient.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Backed by the zionist conspiracy fund, Aethon II 'The Great', of House Circinn, King of Scotland, Ireland, France, Saxony, Germany, and Frisia created the mighty Scottish Empire. Soon the world will tremble before the ice blue as it floods the realm unrestricted by vassal limit now that I can dump off kingdom titles.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Blackray Jack posted:

The main problem with coalitions is that Paradox severely overshot. There are screenshots with the entire world without India uniting against Charlemagne for taking Saxony, or the Emperor of HRE inheriting ERE and languishing several hundred years with 100% infamy.

As for shattered retreat, it doesn't mesh well with some specific game features - raiders and adventurers are very hard to defeat now. There are also AI bugs causing it to not do anything productive.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Paradox was also not very transparent on the coalition/infamy system so there's a fair bit of confusion.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gantolandon posted:

The main problem with coalitions is that Paradox severely overshot. There are screenshots with the entire world without India uniting against Charlemagne for taking Saxony, or the Emperor of HRE inheriting ERE and languishing several hundred years with 100% infamy.

As for shattered retreat, it doesn't mesh well with some specific game features - raiders and adventurers are very hard to defeat now. There are also AI bugs causing it to not do anything productive.

The Charlemagne stuff is going to be fixed but HRE taking ERE was not inheriting, it was through cheat a claim to the entire Empire which will no matter what generate ton of Infamy(this is WAD). Inheritance generate a lot lot lot less. There is also the matter of that you do not get infamy above 100%, which means it will decay from 100% no matter how much infamy you actually generated. So you will never have an amount where you will have infamy capped for hundreds of years unless you keep conquering for hundreds of years.

If you actually play the game without cheating and actually experience the system (bar the Charlemagne problems) it isn't anything like what is acclaimed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Would cheating to claim the empire have the same effect as using the tribal invasion CB to scoop up an empire or a large amount of land? I think the whole concept is really great though. It always felt silly to me that people wouldn't gang up on you. Like if you were a norse pagan and started conquering into England, no one gave a poo poo. Even after you'd conquered half of England, people still would only support their allies, despite me being an existential threat to them. It makes more sense now.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Groogy posted:

The Charlemagne stuff is going to be fixed but HRE taking ERE was not inheriting, it was through cheat a claim to the entire Empire which will no matter what generate ton of Infamy(this is WAD). Inheritance generate a lot lot lot less. There is also the matter of that you do not get infamy above 100%, which means it will decay from 100% no matter how much infamy you actually generated. So you will never have an amount where you will have infamy capped for hundreds of years unless you keep conquering for hundreds of years.

If you actually play the game without cheating and actually experience the system (bar the Charlemagne problems) it isn't anything like what is acclaimed.

My bad then. I thought that Infamy is capped only at the display control.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

-Troika- posted:

Ahahaha what the hell

How do I trigger this, I need to know

or better yet, how do I trigger this on my enemies

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Hey Groogy, I think something is wrong with the carousing mechanics.

I'm a Buddhist king in India, and I'm non-stop partying. I have the business focus, but my vassals are constantly inviting me to carouse with them. I accept, go to the party, everything is normal. At the end I take my 30 prestige and get the "recently caroused" temporary modifier. And then, without fail, after about 10 days I get an invitation to carouse from another vassal. Is that working as intended? I also got the game master lifetime trait, even though I have the business focus.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Torrannor posted:

I'm a Buddhist king in India, and I'm non-stop partying. I have the business focus, but my vassals are constantly inviting me to carouse with them. I accept, go to the party, everything is normal. At the end I take my 30 prestige and get the "recently caroused" temporary modifier. And then, without fail, after about 10 days I get an invitation to carouse from another vassal. Is that working as intended? I also got the game master lifetime trait, even though I have the business focus.

I got the same from one of the other patricians in my current Venice game. Didn't really seem out of whack to me though, the guy was vying to be the next doge so I assumed he was using the hell out of carousing to raise his prestige. No traits from it though. Also keep in mind that carousing can result in friendships, so that may also be a goal of the party animal in question.

I just partied along with him for my own prestige since I knew I was later going to have him murdered to take him out of the election.

I win most elections more from murder than money lol. I first had Doge Maurizio the Impaler followed by Doge Leone the Devil. The current doge hasn't gone on his murder spree yet since I don't usually bother until my guy hits his fifties.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 5, 2016

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

The Charlemagne stuff is going to be fixed but HRE taking ERE was not inheriting, it was through cheat a claim to the entire Empire which will no matter what generate ton of Infamy(this is WAD). Inheritance generate a lot lot lot less.
Cool, the game is able to distinguish between legitimate inherited and faked claims now? Is there mod support for it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lurksion posted:

Cool, the game is able to distinguish between legitimate inherited and faked claims now?

No, the game distinguishes between inheriting titles and pressing a claim on said title. The former method generates a lot less infamy.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Hey, what's up with the AI destroying titles when they're a grand mayor?

Current Ironman game, Viking merchant republic of Denmark. I had formed the kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweeden (and Finland, Scottland, Ireland, England and Wales but I gave those out to family that I hoped might be good heirs one day.) Anyways, one troublesome death and I lost control of the republic for a short while but in this short amount of time the AI was in charge they decided to destroy all those titles.

Not that I'm complaining too much since they were no longer necessary, but why did the AI do that instead of handing them out?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I struggle years and years to change a law so that my vassals provide slightly more levies, with councillors constantly sniping each other's favours.

This is all I ever wanted.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why would a council ever vote to abolish its own power?

Also, the only complaint I have about the infamy system is that I wish it were easier to find out your infamy level. I'm having the darndest time finding it, I keep forgetting!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

You're basically the most popular guy in the world, constantly being invited to parties and festivals across the continent.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Would coalitions make sense if instead of everybody joining one, there could be multiple small coalitions? Like like if you're causing trouble in Iberia, you might get a Catholic coalition on one side and a Muslim coalition on the other side.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What kind of psychopath ruler is opposed to parties? Truly, the world is not ready for such a darkness.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone figure out how to peel away power from the council? After just one change I've already got a looming council power faction.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DrSunshine posted:

Why would a council ever vote to abolish its own power?

'Emergency powers for the duration of the crisis'. What that crisis would be, who can say?

Goes back to Rome: the dictators got given their extreme powers for the duration, and willingly handed it back. Probably because it was too much work. Only later did it get truly seized, and even then there were bribes and things to keep peopel sweet and loyal. Though at this point I think I'm making things up...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Coalitions in CK2: the Domino Theory comes to the Middle Ages

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think whoever wrote the new childhood events must have forgotten that these are supposed to be congenital/inheritable traits, because the whole thing is dumb as poo poo. It was cool when Zunbils could spontaneously generate those traits, because ~*~*~mystical sun god power~*~*~, but when everyone's doing it it's just gibberish.

The traits screen is getting a bit crowded, though, so I'm not sure actual fit/flabby/incorrigible dipshit traits are the way to go here. Give one-time bonuses to base stats, maybe? Or just rejigger the interface so the trait bar has room to breathe.
Tbh, just adding a second row below the first for traits would really simplify things without cluttering things up too much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think some interface rejiggering for traits would be a good idea anyway. It's been getting crowded for a while now even without a distinction between genetic traits and "learned" strong/slow/stutter/etc.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was a real thing, the Bal des Ardents:

History is always crazier than video games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

I got the same from one of the other patricians in my current Venice game. Didn't really seem out of whack to me though, the guy was vying to be the next doge so I assumed he was using the hell out of carousing to raise his prestige. No traits from it though. Also keep in mind that carousing can result in friendships, so that may also be a goal of the party animal in question.

I went to a carouse with one of my strongest vassals and ended up getting into a fight with him and becoming rivals. This did not stop him inviting me to carouse with him again every six months.

Still, it's nice that the AI is at least now trying to spend time with me, instead of with my wife.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do the Mongols trigger coalitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Goddammit, how the hell do I access the laws of others than my primary duchy? Why do newly created duchies not copy the laws of my primary one?

• Locked thread