Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Rhubarb94 posted:

Oatmeal : Peel foil lid, pour in hot water, wait, eat.

If you have not used milk instead of water in your oatmeal preparation, you are missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

darkarchon posted:

:smuggo:

So SA, see this, what do?

You should send them this link because it seems they don't understand chargebacks, or are lying to bully you into writing off the loss. One of the those two.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

e: don't chargeback until the paypal route is exhausted. Paypal will close any dispute that is involved with a to chargeback. You can paypal dispute, chargeback and if all else fails small claims for three tries at a refund.

Berious fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 5, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Berious posted:

You should send them this link because it seems they don't understand chargebacks, or are lying to bully you into writing off the loss. One of the those two.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback

i think he is german. filthy brit thinking everyone is from the uk

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm interested in their operating expenses

Like, their server instances can handle 16 accounts atm. Like with 10,000 commandos in-"game", this would require 625 instances. is there any way to figure out what this would cost them?

If they got something legitimately playable out, they'd have to handle at least ten times that

That would be interesting too. I was thinking more as yet another counter to the whole “yeah, well SC isn't as bad as that game” argument. They're awfully proud of the >$100M they've (probably not actually) poured into the game so far, as if that was a mark of quality, similar to how delays are being recast as something that's a good thing: 2020 isn't 6 years overdue, but a reasonable release date.

Collecting that and the critical reception would most likely demonstrate that long development times and high costs aren't actually linked to good products — in many cases, the opposite conclusion would probably show up.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Agrajag posted:

bet he meant it as a compliment too

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

quote:

Hi rootdarkarchon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am very sorry you felt the need to perform a chargeback, however chargebacks should only ever be used for cases of genuine fraud, where you have had no recollection of making the payment yourself. Using a chargeback as a means to gain a refund is a misuse of the system, and damages both us, and your own ability to use the payment provider in the future. Unfortunately if you decide to do this, I will have to take a note of this down to provide the information to Paypal.

I apologise that we cannot offer you a refund, however as stated by my colleagues before you are outside of the 14 day grace period and are not eligible for one. If you require any further assistance please let us know, thanks.

Best Regards

Amy
Billing Support Representative
Cloud Imperium Games

Is it just me or do all the thank you's and sorry's feel very snide?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Surely he didn't shoot the bacon. The sensible method would be to lay the bacon over the barrel and then fire on full auto so it heats up.
It's not a new idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PastmpZnShQ

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Goobs posted:

they do and this line

Probably Sandi posted:

chargebacks should only ever be used for cases of genuine fraud, where you have had no recollection of making the payment yourself

is complete and utter bullshit

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm interested in their operating expenses

Like, their server instances can handle 16 accounts atm. Like with 10,000 commandos in-"game", this would require 625 instances. is there any way to figure out what this would cost them?

If they got something legitimately playable out, they'd have to handle at least ten times that

Granted they get a bulk discount and I'm more familiar with Azure pricing but the two are so competitive I assume they are basically the same.

Last I read, they run around 3 instances on a server. So you have around 200 servers to support 10,000 spergs.

Looking on the chart a decent server to support this would be around $2/hr when in use. Key word is in <<use>>. So at full tilt, if they averaged 200 servers 24/7 it would be around 300K a month.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

fuzzknot posted:

There's a rumor that Ted Cruz cooked bacon with a machine gun, which I doubt is true. It's not like I think he's not that insane, it's just that you'd wind up with bacon bits and massive amounts of carnage.

My aunt had a book on how to cook roadkill with your car. I'm NOT doing that.

Did both (not with actual roadkill, only store bought saussages and corn ear) with a C9 LMG and the trick is aluminum foil.

1 - Take one foil sheet (ideally as wide as your barrel), place your bacon strips (or other thin meats) on it, put another foil sheet over and seal it.

2- Wrap the result tightly around your barrel

3- Take your time slowly shooting about 300 rounds over 10 minutes. You want to cook, not to damage your barrel

4- Unwrap the foil, enjoy your TacBac. Try not to getting caught by your NCO.

Its the same idea for cooking on your car motor. Wrap whatever you wish to cook in foil, fit it snugly on your engine block, drive a certain numbers of miles and then enjoy a warm meal.

Corn on the comb is the easiest meal you can do this way. Just wrap them in foil with some butter and salt, stick them on the engine and drive about 40 miles.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Goobs posted:

I kind of picture it like this.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

quote:

It really doesn't matter what CIG thinks of PayPals chargeback policy. What matters is what PayPals chargeback policy actually is.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/security/chargeback-faq

"A chargeback, also known as a reversal, is when a buyer asks their credit card issuer to reverse a transaction after it has been completed. It is available only to users who make a payment funded by their credit card.

There are three main reasons a buyer will do this:

The item did not arrive.
The item was significantly different than advertised.
Their credit card was used without their permission to purchase the item fraudulently.

Chargebacks are initiated and handled by the buyer's credit card issuer-not by PayPal-and therefore will follow that company's regulations and timeframes. That said, PayPal often plays a role in resolving chargeback disputes."

If CIG is accepting payment via PayPal, then they obviously have agreed to PayPals terms and conditions.

Chargeback away.

This was a quote from someone at the forums at mmorpg. Tally ho!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Goobs posted:

Nah that's the cringing attitude of someone who just saw another CS person meet the wrath of Sandi

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm going to be in a class during RtV but please spam them questions about the showroom for additional hilarity, thanks commandos

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Eldragon posted:

CIG isn't going to do it for the exact same reason Frontier didn't do it, and it has nothing to do with difficulty of deployment: Money. Private servers eat into the cash shop revenues.

Eventually CIG will announce private servers aren't going to happen, instead CIG is going to be working on some <NEW FEATURE> instead, and the "Citizens" will thank chris for it.

Well yes, that makes perfect sense. In general though, a company is at least nice enough not to sell you the Modders electronic manual for private servers for $10 before cancelling the private servers. But this is CIG, so money!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

LowellDND posted:

I kind of picture it like this.

The hybrid is a nice touch, lmao.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

I prefer to play games of the "good" or "great" kind which do not include any turn based game.

I'll fight you.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm going to be in a class during RtV but please spam them questions about the showroom for additional hilarity, thanks commandos

Also spam sq42 spoilers

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted they get a bulk discount and I'm more familiar with Azure pricing but the two are so competitive I assume they are basically the same.

AWS is doing some aggressive bulk pricing at the moment, but it depends on their size as to whether they get the best rates. They'll be on the dedicated hardware rather than spot instancing, but the compute isn't really the interesting bit, but more what they're doing with the persistance store/database. That usually becomes the first bottleneck.

Agrajag posted:

We start with high opinions of other people that descend as they open their mouths.

<pinky tea sip>

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Same controller experience for me. I hopped in free fly to witness trainwreck history, lolled at the keyboard mapping screen and grabbed an xbox controller. Pretty sure they literally did not map a controller button to go forward in a spaceplane. Spent some time hitting every button and combinations, mashing, studying the controller mapping screen, made random beep boop noises happen but could not fly in any direction. Parp Scamizen.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Goobs posted:

What a crock of poo poo. They're acting like it's his fault for needing to get a chargeback in the first place. Maybe if they had a normal refund policy instead of a bunch of shady poo poo, the chargeback wouldn't have been necessary!

aleksendr posted:

Did both (not with actual roadkill, only store bought saussages and corn ear) with a C9 LMG and the trick is aluminum foil.

1 - Take one foil sheet (ideally as wide as your barrel), place your bacon strips (or other thin meats) on it, put another foil sheet over and seal it.

3- Take your time slowly shooting about 300 rounds over 10 minutes. You want to cook, not to damage your barrel

I will ask Bootcha if he tried this in Iraq. I know his former CO and highly doubt he would have stopped him. Hell, it probably would have been his idea.

aleksendr posted:

Its the same idea for cooking on your car motor. Wrap whatever you wish to cook in foil, fit it snugly on your engine block, drive a certain numbers of miles and then enjoy a warm meal.

Corn on the comb is the easiest meal you can do this way. Just wrap them in foil with some butter and salt, stick them on the engine and drive about 40 miles.

But you could drive to a microwave or restaurant in that amount of time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So CIG is now actively lying about what chargebacks are used for, and threatening customers that try to seek relief.

That strikes me as crossing a line, but what do I know?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Goobs posted:

I try to see it more like this:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Did you just suggest nuking corn on the cob?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well yes, that makes perfect sense. In general though, a company is at least nice enough not to sell you the Modders electronic manual for private servers for $10 before cancelling the private servers. But this is CIG, so money!

lol if you think they don't still sell it

e: ok reading is hard

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

aleksendr posted:

Pfft, Air Wing does this with the vents on the 53 after the squadron XO says "gently caress it, I bet it could work"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

hash house a go-go is killer in vegas

It is a great place, especially for the money. I go to the one in Reno all the time. Chicken Benedict is the way to go imo.

e I think they also have a "meal" called "hair of the dog" which is a side of bacon and a 24 oz can of Budweiser in a paper sack.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 5, 2016

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Wafflz posted:

Did you just suggest nuking corn on the cob?

It's possible. Never said it was good. But still better than something with possible traces of motor oil on it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

aleksendr posted:

Cooking food with your FPS weapons in Star Citizen confirmed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Scruffpuff posted:

Cooking food with your FPS weapons in Star Citizen confirmed.

Probably unintentional, and you still won't get a crosshair.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yes, but you could get space corn on the cob.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

You could use the cooked bacon to form cross hairs on your weapon. Just like in real life.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Without a crosshair, my bacon will be cooked unevenly, ruining my immersion.

I also expect to cook on my spaceship's engine.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

FrankieGoes posted:

It is a great place, especially for the money. I go to the one in Reno all the time. Chicken Benedict is the way to go imo.

e I think they also have a "meal" called "hair of the dog" which is a side of bacon and a 24 oz can of Budweiser.

Wait, what? A SIDE of bacon?! I can't imagine how this would do anything other than make matters worse.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

AWS is doing some aggressive bulk pricing at the moment, but it depends on their size as to whether they get the best rates. They'll be on the dedicated hardware rather than spot instancing, but the compute isn't really the interesting bit, but more what they're doing with the persistance store/database. That usually becomes the first bottleneck.

From my understanding they are "spinning" up and down instances based on demand. In my mind that means they are using the flexibility of the "cloud" computing to save costs. They noted that, and fits in that when a VM is cranking is only when they get charged. Guess what I'm saying is I don't see how they have have dedicated AWS hardware in the equation.

As for the DB side of things, I said this a billion posts back...I'd hate to be that guy. Granted, it would be a cool job if you worked at a company that actually used its resources to support you instead of fancy furniture. So he's probably tasked with the impossible job of reconciling transactions, row locking, collisions, etc. from all parts of the globe. Not glamorous stuff, but this is the drat thing that everything is built upon for a PU.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

fuzzknot posted:

But you could drive to a microwave or restaurant in that amount of time.

Not always. Down south you cant drive 15 minutes in any direction before passing a Tim Hortons but when you get a little further up north we still have vast swath of lands where all you have is a 3-4 hour stretch of road between 2 small cities. No gas station or anything, just miles of poorly plowed asphalt.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Star Citizen: Heil Hitler & Satan

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

From my understanding they are "spinning" up and down instances based on demand. In my mind that means they are using the flexibility of the "cloud" computing to save costs. They noted that, and fits in that when a VM is cranking is only when they get charged. Guess what I'm saying is I don't see how they have have dedicated AWS hardware in the equation.

As for the DB side of things, I said this a billion posts back...I'd hate to be that guy. Granted, it would be a cool job if you worked at a company that actually used its resources to support you instead of fancy furniture. So he's probably tasked with the impossible job of reconciling transactions, row locking, collisions, etc. from all parts of the globe. Not glamorous stuff, but this is the drat thing that everything is built upon for a PU.

His job will get easier when CIG announces no persistent servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalMocking posted:

I wonder how long before CIG turns this into a full blown MLM scheme.

That's the next logical progression. Get money for recruiting more backers and get a portion of what they recruit as well.

It already is a confidence scam. There are huge parallels between how CIG has been conducting their business and community interaction and other scams like money market scams, get rich quick schemes, etc...

They're selling a fantasy. There really is no difference between a person who blows $5,000 on Iraqi currency based on the lofty promises of a scammer and someone who blows $5,000 on SC based on the lofty promises of Crobberts.

Hell at least if I bought 5,000 bucks worth of Vietnamese Dong I would actually have something real. This is more like sending all your money to a Nigerian scammer.

• Locked thread