Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

terrorist ambulance posted:

Anyone have any experience with LG OLED TVs? I'm looking at http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-55EG9200-4k-oled-tv

LG's OLED TVs have pretty good reviews, although I couldn't find a lot online for reviews of this particular set. The OLED models that I was able to look at in person (not those ones) looked pretty unbelievable

This thread is enthusiastic about LG OLED TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That particular set seems new enough that there's not many reviews for it. The 9300 has a lot of very positive reviews.

Apparently there's 55 inch flat oled tvs now, but I'm not sure I care. The curved ones look OK too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That EG9200 is the Canadian version of the EG9600 w/ HDMI 2.0a HDR capability identical to the EF9500. Should be great.

Rumor is 65EF9500 down to 3750 otd at Fry's as part of a super bowl sale in store only. Waiting for the AVSForum dude to confirm.

And flat OLEDs have been out for over a year. It's the EF series.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Adorama is selling the 55" eg9100 1080p oled for 1399 with free ship again.

Great price.

http://r.ebay.com/gQHiw1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Flat oleds have been out longer than that, they just went away for a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Awkward times between arms of Sony. Despite the fact that Sony's distribution division has announced UHD Blu-rays to launch soon, Sony's electronics division has said that they aren't going to release a player for said discs until 'the market grows' which they target sometime around March 2017.

Amazing how things change in less than a decade. Sony basically made the format, but now they are passing on the latest iteration of it. They are going to let everyone else take the risk.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wall mount for a 65 inch TV? The store I was at to get eyes on the television options had a wall of Sanus mounts. They looked well built, but were a little pricy.

I am debating on getting a mount that will let me swing the tv out and change the side to side angle, so any recommendations there would be helpful as well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Orvin posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a wall mount for a 65 inch TV? The store I was at to get eyes on the television options had a wall of Sanus mounts. They looked well built, but were a little pricy.

I am debating on getting a mount that will let me swing the tv out and change the side to side angle, so any recommendations there would be helpful as well.

Monoprice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea just get monoprice or any one on amazon with good reviews.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Monoprice.

Thanks. Had no idea Monoprice had stuff other than cables. I haven't had to shop for anything AV related in like 8 years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Monoprice sells everything now

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Don Lapre posted:

Monoprice sells everything now

This is true, I was made aware they sold instruments now. :stare:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This is true, I was made aware they sold instruments now. :stare:

I just browsed around a little bit and came across this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12374

Ordered two.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ordered two.

Niiice. Ordered two as well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ordered two.

Why does it have free shipping!? :psyduck:

Ordered one...

Edit: It's not even on SlickDeals. This is a fresh glitch(?).

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 3, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am guessing that won't work but gently caress it. In for one.

Also less than 1k for a Vizio 65" m series seems like a good deal?

https://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=42556092

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Ordered two.

As of 3:28 AM, Pacific Time, the link above goes directly to the front page and searching for it and clicking on the link does the same. They know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What was it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Endless Mike posted:

What was it?

YAS-203 Yamaha Sound Bar w/Bluetooth® and Wireless Subwoofer

For less than $5 shipped.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I got an order confirmation but it hasn't been charged to the card so I'm thinking we're not going to get our slick n slimy deal

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
60" Samsung JU7100 + a stand + delivery + assembly for $1700 from Amazon and I get 3% cash back and had points so I spent like $1500 :staredog: Can't wait for it to get here.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
$4 soundbar order just got canceled. Not even mad.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My purchase still shows as pending :pray:

EDIT: Spoke too soon, order canceled. Oh well!

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 3, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

Awkward times between arms of Sony. Despite the fact that Sony's distribution division has announced UHD Blu-rays to launch soon, Sony's electronics division has said that they aren't going to release a player for said discs until 'the market grows' which they target sometime around March 2017.

Amazing how things change in less than a decade. Sony basically made the format, but now they are passing on the latest iteration of it. They are going to let everyone else take the risk.

Which is slightly odd since they seemed to corner the 4k projector market really early.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Which is slightly odd since they seemed to corner the 4k projector market really early.

Well, they are still heavily invested in 4k. They are just backing their streaming platform rather than physical media. Probably the smarter play.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Currently their 4k streaming is for the projectors, unless they changed that, and projector people are more interested in physical media. I must be missing something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure I'm following you. Sony is still all about UDH as a format. It's just that their electronics arm apparently l doesn't think UDH has a future in physical media.

It's just funny that their distribution arm is forging ahead with it anyways.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's been the standard operating procedure for Sony since the beginning of time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

At this point Sony electronics as a company isn't really in a position to do that "put a model of [thing x] into the market because our competitors are and see if it takes off," they're on a budget and the hardware for streaming can also be built into their TVs and projectors. I'm sure if UHD blu ray actually takes off they'll have players on the market but I'd guess they're a little gun shy to go first.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Looking to get a TV, and vizio.com has their m-series 43" for $499 with free shipping (this better include Alaska :argh:), BUT if I sign up for their email newsletter I get 5% off my purchase, bringing it to $475.

Is this a good deal / TV? I'll be using it to play movie/television/games from my PC and games/DVD from consoles. Looking to keep budget under $500.

Also, why would I even want or need "4k" on a 43" screen? :psyduck:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I highly recommend getting that in an Office Suite instead of purchasing it separately

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Alehkhs posted:

Is this a good deal / TV? I'll be using it to play movie/television/games from my PC and games/DVD from consoles. Looking to keep budget under $500.

The 4K is absolutely meaningless for a 43" as you have correctly surmised. I wouldn't consider this; 43" is far too small, even for a sub $500 budget. You can easily swing for a 50/55" Samsung/Vizio if you wait for a deal to pop.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Trip report: OLEDs fuckin rule

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Trip report: OLEDs fuckin rule

jelllllllllly

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's the general opinion on VIZIO and LG TVs?

I've had a Samsung 46" LCD since 2009 that has held up nicely, but it's showing its age. The VIZIO D65u-D2 (65" LED 4K 120Hz) is at a great price at right around $1K, but I've never bought any of their products before.

I'm mainly concerned about video quality. I want to be able to calibrate the monitor and not have anything like noise reduction or "TruMotion" without being able to turn it off, especially for Blu-Rays.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

They're fine? Consensus seems to be that these days Vizio offers damned good quality for the price most of the time, though if you can get one of the better known brands on sale for a similar price, they tend to offer better PQ.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is this an OK TV?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/453009/LED55G65RQ_55_4K_Ultra_HD_LED_TV

The speakers probably aren't great and the other thing that sticks out is that it has only 2 HDMI (and a bonus composite for a VCR) which I'd use for BR player and Roku. I can get by with using a 1080i cable box on component video right? AFAIK component video is incapable of doing 1080p which isn't a big deal as Comcast and other cable companies aren't providing that.

Although I guess I'd be concerned that cable companies would start sending out HQ stuff soon or is that still not on the horizon?

Also, would this TV limit me if I wanted to use external speakers later on (due to having only 2 HDMI ports?)

Thanks.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 8, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zogo posted:

Is this an OK TV?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/453009/LED55G65RQ_55_4K_Ultra_HD_LED_TV

The speakers probably aren't great and the other thing that sticks out is that it has only 2 HDMI (and a bonus composite for a VCR) which I'd use for BR player and Roku. I can get by with using a 1080i cable box on component video right? AFAIK component video is incapable of doing 1080p which isn't a big deal as Comcast and other cable companies aren't providing that.

Although I guess I'd be concerned that cable companies would start sending out HQ stuff soon or is that still not on the horizon?

Also, would this TV limit me if I wanted to use external speakers later on (due to having only 2 HDMI ports?)

Thanks.

Reviews around the web seem to say mostly the same thing: kind of slow, barebones, but decent PQ and basically unbeatable for the price. Call your local Microcenter though because it seems like the in-store price was $399 (they might have discontinued that sale). Specs say it has audio out, so you could use that for external speakers. Stereo would absolutely work, not sure about surround since one forum post mentioned a lack of optical out (maybe it's also got s/pdif? idk).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Reviews around the web seem to say mostly the same thing: kind of slow, barebones, but decent PQ and basically unbeatable for the price. Call your local Microcenter though because it seems like the in-store price was $399 (they might have discontinued that sale). Specs say it has audio out, so you could use that for external speakers. Stereo would absolutely work, not sure about surround since one forum post mentioned a lack of optical out (maybe it's also got s/pdif? idk).

Okay that's good. I'm open to external stereo in the future but have no need for surround.

Yea, it was $399 a few weeks back but went up because of the Super Bowl maybe. Hopefully they'll drop again.

Doing research it doesn't appear that cable companies are imminently switching to 1080p or 4k or anything better in the near future either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I picked up a Samsung 55" J6200AF for my living room (not my main viewing room) this weekend. I liked the fact that it was under $500. The picture quality seems pretty awful though. Obviously I wasn't expecting it to be the quality of my 70W850B, but it's immediately noticeably worse than my 10 year old Sony in the bedroom. Is this a known bad set and I'm just not seeing it online or? The complaints I'm seeing are really just that the smart TV stuff is slow, which, I don't give a poo poo. Oh. Also it has a RED AS gently caress dead pixel in the middle which is driving me nuts.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'd be better off spending $170 more and getting the Vizio D58u-D3 at Costco? Or just exchange it for the same thing?