Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HNasty posted:

I'm the giant cop.

I knew a guy in the air force that big. His last name was (of course) "Small".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

atomicthumbs posted:

I developed my first film since 2013 last night, and my first 4x5s since ever. I think I'm hooked, though on the product, not the process (because holy poo poo this is a pain in the rear end). "Scanned" this one with my phone.
What are the problems you're having with the process?

I've found with Mod54s it's easiest to just load two sheets on each side and ignore the innermost slot. I'm pretty sure others here (what the gently caress, maybe?) have had issues with uneven development on the innermost sheets, too. Otherwise it's just a matter of practise, and I've heard getting a proper dark tent makes it easier but I'm way too cheap for that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rohan posted:

What are the problems you're having with the process?

I've found with Mod54s it's easiest to just load two sheets on each side and ignore the innermost slot. I'm pretty sure others here (what the gently caress, maybe?) have had issues with uneven development on the innermost sheets, too. Otherwise it's just a matter of practise, and I've heard getting a proper dark tent makes it easier but I'm way too cheap for that.

the entire process except for the actual "composing and shooting" part :v:

We have light-tight individual darkrooms at my school, so no worry about space, but still. I'm tempted to take MrBlandAverage's suggestion and get myself a proper Jobo tank instead of the school's equipment.

also the toyo 45aII is a bit of a pain to set up and take down. I'm now considering buying my own camera to minimize having to deal with checking out and returning the school's equipment.

semi-unrelated: should I buy this thing

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 6, 2016

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

ape posted:

I have a Pentacon and it's a nice camera. The CZJ lenses are an amazing bargain for how good they are. I don't have any of the Russian ones, yet, but the 65mm and fisheye are great from what I've heard.

If you get one be sure to watch some videos on how to load the film properly. If you don't tension it just so it will overlap frames (ask me how I know :() There's also a particular way to use the winding lever which prevents this 100%. I think it was on the baierfoto site.

You should also consider the price of a CLA when looking at any older camera. The grease they used in the lenses and bodies gets hard over time and needs to be replaced. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself it can run a few hundred bucks. It's not only a problem on cheaper cameras, the same thing applies to Hasselblads and Leicas.

I have a broken Pentacon 6, but I'm thinking of picking up a body since I have 50mm, 80mm and 180mm lenses for it, plus a bunch of accessories. Supposedly there's a guy who runs a service that overhauls and repairs P6 bodies, I can't remember the website though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I think you should have at least one aerial lens in your LF gear, they tend to be in coated and look quite different to modern lenses. You will have to make a custom lens board, and your camera will need a shutter on the body like a Crown Graphic.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hrm.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

IanTheM posted:

I have a broken Pentacon 6, but I'm thinking of picking up a body since I have 50mm, 80mm and 180mm lenses for it, plus a bunch of accessories. Supposedly there's a guy who runs a service that overhauls and repairs P6 bodies, I can't remember the website though.

Since you have lenses and bunch of accessories it would be worth repairing or getting new body.

You can see a list of P6 repair services here

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Helen Highwater posted:

Thanks for the advice on the Kievs and specifically the Arax rebuilds. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the 88s. I'm not going to lie, the idea of shooting with old Soviet kit is a big draw for me and, while I appreciate that there are better built options at a similar price, I'm going on feels here. Trying to get good pictures with esoteric kit is a goal in itself (my pictures will still be bad even with a good camera).

I'm of the same sentiment, and am actually a little jealous that you're over there and can have your pick of the crop from from the local second-hand market, let alone the surplus-refurbishing factories.

I still don't know how you buy one new with it, but on the ARAX webpage there is a titanium shutter upgrade available for the 88. It's not cheap, except in comparison to other high-end MF cameras, but it's one potential solution to the shutter problem those cameras are apparently plagued with.

And you've probably done your research, but don't forget about MLU and pentacon mount compatibility: two features that will make your kiev experience a lot nicer, IMO.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Recommendations on 90mm lens for 4x5? (Also where do you guys buy LF lenses? KEH doesn't have much of a selection, so I've just been browsing ebay). I have a 180 f/5.6 Fujinon that I like quite a bit, so I've been looking at the Fujinon 90mm f/5.6, but if there's a better 'must have' out there I'm open to it. 180mm is a little long, so I was looking for something wider and I'm not convinced that 135mm would be wide enough.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Try the buy and sell on the Large Format Forum, it's pretty active.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Spedman posted:

Try the buy and sell on the Large Format Forum, it's pretty active.

This is the only photography forum I've ever posted on, guess I could register but it looks like there's restrictions on who can use the buy/sell threads?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shellman posted:

Recommendations on 90mm lens for 4x5? (Also where do you guys buy LF lenses? KEH doesn't have much of a selection, so I've just been browsing ebay). I have a 180 f/5.6 Fujinon that I like quite a bit, so I've been looking at the Fujinon 90mm f/5.6, but if there's a better 'must have' out there I'm open to it. 180mm is a little long, so I was looking for something wider and I'm not convinced that 135mm would be wide enough.

90mm f/8 Nikkor is my choice.

LFF just requires you to be a member for a month before viewing the buy/sell forum, but it's worth the wait.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

ansel autisms posted:

90mm f/8 Nikkor is my choice.

LFF just requires you to be a member for a month before viewing the buy/sell forum, but it's worth the wait.

Good to know. Starting to somewhat seriously shoot with the Wista that I bought from the buy/sell thread a while back, and slowly learning what works for me and what doesn't.

Think I need to look into getting a darkcloth as well, the folding viewer is really difficult to check focus in with a loupe.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Continuing my paper negative shooting with an homage to Anne Brigman.

At The Bulb by Jason, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

Continuing my paper negative shooting with an homage to Anne Brigman.

At The Bulb by Jason, on Flickr

That's pretty awesome!

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm of the same sentiment, and am actually a little jealous that you're over there and can have your pick of the crop from from the local second-hand market, let alone the surplus-refurbishing factories.

I still don't know how you buy one new with it, but on the ARAX webpage there is a titanium shutter upgrade available for the 88. It's not cheap, except in comparison to other high-end MF cameras, but it's one potential solution to the shutter problem those cameras are apparently plagued with.

And you've probably done your research, but don't forget about MLU and pentacon mount compatibility: two features that will make your kiev experience a lot nicer, IMO.

If you want pentacon six compatibility you should get Kiev 88cm, regular Kiev 88 has different mount.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Via Sibilla Aleramo, Modena by alkanphel, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I've gone and bought a thing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Just when I think I am getting good at something, I screw it up. Not sure where I went wrong with this batch of C-41 dev but the film base came out rather brown. I might have let the blix temperature coast well above the 105F limit, but I am not sure.

Anyway I was able to mostly salvage the images but they all had some nasty color casts.

This is expired Portra 160 that I bought from MrBlandAverage like a year or two ago.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 9, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered the Arax 88 CM with the MLU system. It has the Pentacon 6 lens mount and a bunch of accessories. I have no loving clue what I'm doing though, the last time I shot film was when I was a kid and an uncle gave me some lovely point-and-click thing. Portra film is reasonably cheap here (about $8 for a box) at least so I won't bankrupt myself trying to figure out wtf to do.

Any advice? I'm not going to do my own developing just yet, I'll hand that off to a lab.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Take photos of RV's and neon lights.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Helen Highwater posted:

I just ordered the Arax 88 CM with the MLU system. It has the Pentacon 6 lens mount and a bunch of accessories. I have no loving clue what I'm doing though, the last time I shot film was when I was a kid and an uncle gave me some lovely point-and-click thing. Portra film is reasonably cheap here (about $8 for a box) at least so I won't bankrupt myself trying to figure out wtf to do.

Any advice? I'm not going to do my own developing just yet, I'll hand that off to a lab.

$8 a box, as in a box of 5 rolls?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

$8 a box, as in a box of 5 rolls?

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like it is a full box of 5. There are about 28 UAH to the USD at the moment.

What's the preferred way to transfer physical photos to digital? Scan negatives or scan prints? Recommended gear for that?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

What's the preferred way to transfer physical photos to digital? Scan negatives or scan prints? Recommended gear for that?

That would be up to your personal preference. You could scan the film, scan the prints, or use a digital camera to digitise the film. If you're going to scan, a Epson V700 might be worth looking into because you'll eventually end up shooting LF :unsmigghh:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

alkanphel posted:

That would be up to your personal preference. You could scan the film, scan the prints, or use a digital camera to digitise the film. If you're going to scan, a Epson V700 might be worth looking into because you'll eventually end up shooting LF :unsmigghh:

Quoting this because I only bought a v600 and now want to scan LF. :smith:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just buy a LF mount (betterscanning?) or is the flatbed area too small?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

BANME.sh posted:

Couldn't you just buy a LF mount (betterscanning?) or is the flatbed area too small?

Flatbed is big enough, the light from the top isn't.

One option is scanning 1/2 at a time and stitching in photoshop though.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

Just when I think I am getting good at something, I screw it up. Not sure where I went wrong with this batch of C-41 dev but the film base came out rather brown. I might have let the blix temperature coast well above the 105F limit, but I am not sure.

I had this happen to me when the blix was dead. Could that be it?

Shellman posted:

Quoting this because I only bought a v600 and now want to scan LF. :smith:

When I hadn't yet got my V700 but was already shooting LF, I scanned my negatives by laying them directly on the glass, scanning half at a time, then stitching in Photoshop.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

I had this happen to me when the blix was dead. Could that be it?

Brand new kit I bought the same day. Maybe I didn't mix the blix enough?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Helen Highwater posted:

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like it is a full box of 5. There are about 28 UAH to the USD at the moment.
That's a screaming deal if it's for a box of 5. Wonder what shipping would be to the US.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Helen Highwater posted:

Saint Fu posted:

That's a screaming deal if it's for a box of 5. Wonder what shipping would be to the US.

Цена за 1 ролик!

Price is per roll, I'm afraid.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They don't ship outside of ukraine anyway don't they ?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

They don't ship outside of ukraine anyway don't they ?

No but their physical storefront is in a basement about 10 minutes walk from my apartment. They also have a cabinet full of old Soviet gear at flea-market prices too. I'm thinking of picking up a Moskva bellows camera for about $60 when I'm there next. If the bellows is hosed I'll just use it as a prop or something.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Oh sweet Jesus. Everyone should do large-format printing.

HP5+/HC-110/Adax paper

(Please disregard the lovely compression. I don't know if it comes from the iOS photo-editor or from Dropbox)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Helen Highwater posted:

No but their physical storefront is in a basement about 10 minutes walk from my apartment. They also have a cabinet full of old Soviet gear at flea-market prices too. I'm thinking of picking up a Moskva bellows camera for about $60 when I'm there next. If the bellows is hosed I'll just use it as a prop or something.

You can fix bellows pretty easily. stick a flashlight in it and if you have pinholes paint over them with liquid electrical tape.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

8th-snype posted:

You can fix bellows pretty easily. stick a flashlight in it and if you have pinholes paint over them with liquid electrical tape.

Did this on a Fuji GS645, it worked great and has lasted. It was so cheap and easy I picked up a Mamiya6 for dirt cheap with a light leak thinking I could fix it easy but I've been too scared to crack it open.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Why are majestic tripods/heads so cheap? I can't seem to find any answers online. Seems they are solid as hell. Why such low price tags? Wanna know if buying one for my 11x14 is a bad idea.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

what the gently caress posted:

Why are majestic tripods/heads so cheap? I can't seem to find any answers online. Seems they are solid as hell. Why such low price tags? Wanna know if buying one for my 11x14 is a bad idea.

Those don't seem that cheap to me for tripods made out of aluminum instead of a ligher/more exotic material. Most other tripods that support 30-40 pounds weigh significantly less than 10 pounds. Not to mention the tripod heads that weigh 6 pounds :stare:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

MrBlandAverage posted:

Those don't seem that cheap to me for tripods made out of aluminum instead of a ligher/more exotic material. Most other tripods that support 30-40 pounds weigh significantly less than 10 pounds. Not to mention the tripod heads that weigh 6 pounds :stare:

I guess that's my answer. Portability/weight is not something I'm particularly fussed about at this stage. More durability and stability. Sort of getting ping-ponged around looking for good affordable-ish tripod solutions for about 10-11 (22lbs) kg worth of camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

what the gently caress posted:

I guess that's my answer. Portability/weight is not something I'm particularly fussed about at this stage. More durability and stability. Sort of getting ping-ponged around looking for good affordable-ish tripod solutions for about 10-11 (22lbs) kg worth of camera.

• Locked thread