Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another question: how do I get rid of Burning on a unit? My rookie decided to take a path right through some fire after getting panicked and now she's on fire. She's definitely going to die to it if I can't stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Harrow posted:

Another question: how do I get rid of Burning on a unit? My rookie decided to take a path right through some fire after getting panicked and now she's on fire. She's definitely going to die to it if I can't stop it.

Med kits or hope they stop drop and roll at some point

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
I preordered this game from Funstock digital and they said I would have the preorder bonuses. How do I make sure I have them? Is it the guile hair?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ProZocK posted:

I preordered this game from Funstock digital and they said I would have the preorder bonuses. How do I make sure I have them? Is it the guile hair?

If you have the preorders, you'll have a completely different set of kevlar armor in your inventory.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Best sword a ranger can do is a 3 dmg hit.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Man, having a ton of fun and a hell of a time with this game. Learning to lose and keep going vs save scumming in XCOM 1 is a journey.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Elliotw2 posted:

If you have the preorders, you'll have a completely different set of kevlar armor in your inventory.

You mean a different set as in a separate new item or different options to dress up the soldiers?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Just finished the campaign. Veteran was probably a bad choice, it ended up being fairly easy to keep the Avatar meter low and just grind forever.

Veteran is too easy, but do commander and you'll find yourself with twice the pods as well as having to sprint to the extraction point every mission.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do ADVENT really jerryrig their swords to explode when they die because I dont see a use in an exploding sword.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Need a mod that makes Central shut up about civilian losses.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Okay guys I am sorry to keep harping on about this, but I am getting nothing back from 2k's forums, their support service, steam or anywhere else, does anyone know somewhere I can keep an eye out for possible solutions to "X com 2 will not open and goes to black screen" I don't even mean immediately I'd just like to find a place I could check and see if it has the update.

I really am sorry about this, but I am just a little frustrated.

It did this to me once, and I had to log out of the desktop to get it unlocked. It has never done that to me again though. Maybe I dodged a bullet?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

Need a mod that makes Central shut up about civilian losses.

Need a mod that fixes the glaring technical issues.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hammerstein posted:

How did you get it to work ? I always get a "Unable to copy Reshade64.dll" error when I open the Xcom2.exe with Reshade_Setup.

I just downloaded the latest version of ReShade + SweetFX from https://www.reshade.me and let the setup do its thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You know, all things considered and with the hindsight of retrospect, I probably shouldn't have tried using the Skulljack on a terror mission which, I later found out, had my first Muton.

Oh well! Everyone managed to survive in the end! That's all that matters, right?

Meanwhile, I will never stop filling the Character Pool with stupid bullshit.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hello new engineer. I hear you are one of the best and brightest Earth has to offer. Please go clean and pick up all the garbage in that room over there.

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, I will never stop filling the Character Pool with stupid bullshit.

please post your pool

Here is the part of mine that I made. I apologize in advanced if I included someone else's, it is all mixed together.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 6, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Underwhelmed posted:

Hello new engineer. I hear you are one of the best and brightest Earth has to offer. Please go clean and pick up all the garbage in that room over there.

I went to engineering school and one of the first things we learned to do was clear rooms and using AutoCAD.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

PirateBob posted:

I just downloaded the latest version of ReShade + SweetFX from https://www.reshade.me and let the setup do its thing.

I had to install it manually cause for whatever reason the autosetup failed for me. But it works now and looks glorious, so thanks :dance:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How do you do Ironman? If I was really good at XCom 1 should I pick 'Commander' difficulty?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Underwhelmed posted:

please post your pool
I will once I make more!

Please make more character parts, Firaxis. Please unlock more NPC model parts, mod community. I want this game to basically be The Sims But With Martian Slaughter.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How do you do Ironman? If I was really good at XCom 1 should I pick 'Commander' difficulty?
Depends how you were good at XCOM1.

Like if you went turtle overwatch I suggest Veteran.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Okay this god drat sectoid made a zombie from the corpse of my mimic grenade.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Kins posted:

I will once I make more!

Please make more character parts, Firaxis. Please unlock more NPC model parts, mod community. I want this game to basically be The Sims But With Martian Slaughter.

Me and you baby

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Raged posted:

drat. This is a ballkicker of a misson.

I've only done two of them so far. I've won both by treating them as the shortest timer I've ever had. I'm in range to hit the spike with a sniper and at least one other soldier by turn 3 or 4 and in full double move back to the ramp by turn 5 or 6.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

YOu really shouldn't do Ironman yet because there's a lot of potential showstoppers that you may want to reload from, and Commander is a safe choice but keep in mind that the game is a hell of a lot harder.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

YOu really shouldn't do Ironman yet because there's a lot of potential showstoppers that you may want to reload from, and Commander is a safe choice but keep in mind that the game is a hell of a lot harder.

And it owns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't seem to get through a single mission without losing a soldier this time around and it's starting to get to "not actually having any fun" territory. The Faceless are some bullshit.

My Grenadier probably deserved to die. Missing three 70% shots in a row probably means you weren't trying that hard not to get clawed in the face anyway.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Is performance loving abysmal for anyone else? I've got a Gtx970, a i5 processor, running the game on a SSD, and I had to put the game down to low to get even remotely acceptable performance.

Lost it at "metal bullet tubes"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I haven't lost a single soldier to faceless, but I'm also not a lunatic that plays on the hardest difficulty.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Underwhelmed posted:

It did this to me once, and I had to log out of the desktop to get it unlocked. It has never done that to me again though. Maybe I dodged a bullet?

I think you may well have done, I've done everything from reverifying the cache to changing which graphics card is being used to turn the whole machine off and on again. Nothing seems to work.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Is performance loving abysmal for anyone else? I've got a Gtx970, a i5 processor, running the game on a SSD, and I had to put the game down to low to get even remotely acceptable performance.

I also have the 970 and an otherwise good machine (3570K, that ran Witcher 3 great and can run DA:I on ultra very nicely), and performance was poo poo. It was most obvious during soldier loadout.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

I get a pretty steady 50FPS (which I consider perfectly acceptable) with a GTX960, an :siren:AMD:siren:8320 and a lovely physical drive, though anything that loads new textures causes the game to run at 2 fps for a few seconds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I haven't lost a single soldier to faceless, but I'm also not a lunatic that plays on the hardest difficulty.

I'm having a hard time imagining how I could not lose a soldier in the situation I was in. Nobody could hit the loving thing and eventually it got close enough to one-shot my only Grenadier.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So how are your Legendary campaigns progressing?

Also, does the Brainjack act like a charging sword attack, or do you need to run up to the enemy with an action left in order to use it on them?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not impossible, even once you jump the Sectoid/Viper hurdle and start fighting "mere" Mutons, just play cautiously.

I don't think there's actually more than six Advent Trooper corpses in the entire game, save maybe if you actually take the time to get one of your guys to carry one out via extraction.

And that's after getting Plate Armour and selling about 6 to the black market. Advanced and Elite troopers still count as a Trooper corpse and I run into at least one per mission.

His nickname should be Hugh Mann

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 6, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Lost it at "metal bullet tubes"
The game is optimized like poo poo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The Kins posted:

Seriously. The amount of hours I've sunk into the char pool is obscene. More of everything plz.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Harrow posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining how I could not lose a soldier in the situation I was in. Nobody could hit the loving thing and eventually it got close enough to one-shot my only Grenadier.

I've managed to not lose a single one to Faceless either. They're big, imposing and they've got quite a bit of HP when you see them, but their swipe only does 3HP so it's not really a big deal unless you're next to something explosive.

It also helps when you figure out how to goad them out: I tend to get within a single move of civilians and overwatch to see if they'll suddenly grow twice their size and become a playdough bear, if you play it right you can keep moving up fairly steadily to let you reach new civvies while also goading the Faceless out of hiding so they have to run towards your dudes and eat overwatches first

Also their jumping animation is goddamn hilarious. They just stand straight up and go "BOING!" into the air. It's even better when your squad is on overwatch and vaporizes the Faceless mid-jump and sends him into the stratosphere. I lost all fear of the Faceless the first time I saw one jump because I was laughing too hard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How do I apply PCS items to my soldiers? I see the slot in their profile but there doesn't seem to be any option to use them?

EDIT: Guerrilla Tactics School :downs:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I managed to dramatically improve my performance somehow... but I'm not quite sure how. :sweatdrop: I think it was by lowering the AA settings a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

I've managed to not lose a single one to Faceless either. They're big, imposing and they've got quite a bit of HP when you see them, but their swipe only does 3HP so it's not really a big deal unless you're next to something explosive.

It also helps when you figure out how to goad them out: I tend to get within a single move of civilians and overwatch to see if they'll suddenly grow twice their size and become a playdough bear, if you play it right you can keep moving up fairly steadily to let you reach new civvies while also goading the Faceless out of hiding so they have to run towards your dudes and eat overwatches first

Also their jumping animation is goddamn hilarious. They just stand straight up and go "BOING!" into the air. It's even better when your squad is on overwatch and vaporizes the Faceless mid-jump and sends him into the stratosphere. I lost all fear of the Faceless the first time I saw one jump because I was laughing too hard.

The swipe definitely does more than 3hp on some difficulties