Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

I've not really been keeping up with what's happening as it's gotten far too stupid even for me but is there any hint of anything before the end of March? I figure 4 months post 2.0 release the Citizens will be expecting something new and if they've nothing to offer things are going to start getting ugly.

Well, you see, they set a cutoff date of say... 20 february for 2.2. If something isn't done by then it won't be in the patch, so to answer your question: maybe!

Page 1780 catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AP posted:

I've not really been keeping up with what's happening as it's gotten far too stupid even for me but is there any hint of anything before the end of March? I figure 4 months post 2.0 release the Citizens will be expecting something new and if they've nothing to offer things are going to start getting ugly.

Their content schedule for SC is none existent. They have what appears to be little teams working on a tiny thing or whatever and if they dont meet the cutoff point for the monthly patch it just gets pushed back for the next month.

CIG is in full content downplaying right now for SC, for the past two months they've been going "Guys dont get exited about SC 2.whatever" because they know all focus is going into SQ42 and whatever dregs they can get from that are repurposed for the 2.0 pre alpha.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Was about to buy into Star Citizen before the content split but found this thread first on my phone while the downloader destroyed my bandwidth. Thanks guys for your important humanitarian work.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Well, you see, they set a cutoff date of say... 20 february for 2.2. If something isn't done by then it won't be in the patch, so to answer your question: maybe!

Page 1780 catte

Maybe we'll get updates on the new ship pipeline

And also what single employees feel like working with at the moment

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

Page 1780 catte

Only 9 pages left until Page revolution! Can't wait. :dance:

Also, good catte.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Didn't CIG release a massive roadmap at the end of last year where they detailed how the babbypoo was going to be combined with the social module and then later they'd add wormhole travel and a new system. WTF happened to that? How has no one pointed out that a large, seemingly super important plan has just vanished like it never happened? Did the guy behind it get fired or something? He was from Austin right?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Romes128 posted:

Yeah player factions are a thing, but only to a certain degree. Can't say much about what goons are up to, but head to the PGS thread and wing up with some of us. ED is infinitely more enjoyable when playing with others.

There are only 3 major factions in ED, the Empire, the Federation, and Alliance. The Stimpire should totally be a thing in ED.

Yeah I'll have to check it out. My kid makes it hard for me to pay attention to any game for more than 15 minutes at a time so I usually just end up reading and shitposting instead of playing good games (not star citizen since it is neither good nor a game).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kikkelivelho posted:

Didn't CIG release a massive roadmap at the end of last year where they detailed how the babbypoo was going to be combined with the social module and then later they'd add wormhole travel and a new system. WTF happened to that? How has no one pointed out that a large, seemingly super important plan has just vanished like it never happened? Did the guy behind it get fired or something? He was from Austin right?

What

This sounds like something I'd have heard about

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

Suicide would do that, yeah

Stop the cheap shots, please. :mediocre:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Someone made a thread about a "big surprise" coming for 2.2 and Ben came into burst some bubbles.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316726/big-surprise-coming-in-2-2-or-maybe-before-even-before

Basically the only thing I keep hearing about for upcoming patches is shops, persistence, and a few long-promised ships.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What

This sounds like something I'd have heard about

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

It's not exactly what I remembered, but as far as I can tell none of the deliverables described in this thing have materialized. CIG hasn't even mentioned them, so this is probably another plan that croberts or one of his cronies crushed.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Eonwe posted:

The Saddest Robot posted:

They added a plant!

I am literally making GBS threads my pants with excitement!
making GBS threads your plants
making GBS threads your plants with excrement

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 11, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Can this game be made if funding stopped right now?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6327463/#Comment_6327463

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6329496/#Comment_6329496

Closed for not understanding game development

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Erenthal posted:

God help me, I went to youtube and looked if the orginal video this is from was actually posted by CIG, and not some elaborate CGI prank by goons.

Is this for real? Is this a professional actress? Was this the best they could do with all the backer money they pour into this tire fire of a boondoggle?

e: ffs, she can't even look into the right camera!

I don't, can't, watch their videos much because they're so excruciatingly bad so it is easy to forget just how talentless Sandi appears on camera. She is utterly devoid of charisma and can't even read some loving lines without looking at the script every five seconds. Next to her Ben looks more professional and comfortable in these things ffs. You have to suck real bad for that to happen.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Someone made a thread about a "big surprise" coming for 2.2 and Ben came into burst some bubbles.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316726/big-surprise-coming-in-2-2-or-maybe-before-even-before

Basically the only thing I keep hearing about for upcoming patches is shops, persistence, and a few long-promised ships.

This seems like a horrible way to develop and release features in patches. I've worked on many hardware and software projects and I've never seen a 'real' development cycle like this. Typically it is laid out in advance what features will be included in a patch, the only thing that might change is important bug fixes (maybe CIG calls those 'features').

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

Suicide would do that, yeah

Yeah right. He will just go back to his fan site where he will rewrite history to match whatever bullshit conspiracy CR claims prevented him from realising his genius vision. There :lesnick: gets to decide what is canon and win every argument because he is the ultimate authority as he saw it all with his own eye and therefore is right and everybody else is wrong and has to do what he says.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This seems like a horrible way to develop and release features in patches. I've worked on many hardware and software projects and I've never seen a 'real' development cycle like this. Typically it is laid out in advance what features will be included in a patch, the only thing that might change is important bug fixes (maybe CIG calls those 'features').

In most games, hell most projects of any type, the roadmap and completed features determine when a patch releases, not the other way around. If a feature needs more work, the patch gets pushed until the work is done. To decide that the patches themselves must release by a certain time is the tail wagging the dog, and the only reason they do it is to give backers the illusion of progress. "Whatever's done when the patch window hits is what's going in." That has a nice side effect of making it impossible for QA to set up their test cases in advance - they never know what's going in until it hits. ("QA" :lol:)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, but this is game development, of which you clearly know nothing :smug:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

alphabettitouretti posted:

I don't, can't, watch their videos much because they're so excruciatingly bad so it is easy to forget just how talentless Sandi appears on camera. She is utterly devoid of charisma and can't even read some loving lines without looking at the script every five seconds. Next to her Ben looks more professional and comfortable in these things ffs. You have to suck real bad for that to happen.

They have a guy (Lando) who is actually more charismatic, but for some reason do the majority of the shows without him. I'm not saying he's a great guy or anything, but he seems far more natural on camera than most of them.

Also (and this is a personal peeve), I can't believe whoever produces these things hasn't taken Ben's phone out of his hand and bashed it into a thousand pieces yet. During any of their 'live' shows he can't stop from constantly looking and playing with his phone ON AIR and looking incredibly bored whenever anyone isn't talking about Wing Commander. It's just incredibly unprofessional and I always think 'If you are too bored to even pay attention to this, why should your customers bother?'.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Scruffpuff posted:

In most games, hell most projects of any type, the roadmap and completed features determine when a patch releases, not the other way around. If a feature needs more work, the patch gets pushed until the work is done. To decide that the patches themselves must release by a certain time is the tail wagging the dog, and the only reason they do it is to give backers the illusion of progress. "Whatever's done when the patch window hits is what's going in." That has a nice side effect of making it impossible for QA to set up their test cases in advance - they never know what's going in until it hits. ("QA" :lol:)

Especially considering they are paying for people to download 25 gigs or whatever for every pointless featureless patch they release. It's just incredibly unorganized and inefficient.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

CCP's 6-week release cycle that they tried for a year or two kind of worked that way, but even then, there was some delays built in so that it wasn't a case of “oh, it compiled with no errors, add it to the patch!” It was more a case of, if a development sprint (including QA) was fully completed, it was added to what could conceivably go into a patch, and once it was patch time, a decision was made what to include and then an announcement was made on the patch features.

In some (I'd even say most) cases, features were held back until they could be released as a coherent package: this patch is all about ship balance; the next patch is all about UI updates; both will have some sprinklings of bug fixes, etc.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So has anybody else loaded up the new showroom yet?

The first time I did it, the whole process was really sudden and confusing. this guy in a T-pose showed up and started talking really fast, and today I just got a bill in the mail for a $32,000 loan from "Shifty's Ship Loans and Swedish Meatball Emporium" that says something about kneecaps.

Citizens, please help, I think something's wrong with my game.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

Page 1780 catte

I see your cat still has his concealment bonus

:xcom: catte

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

So has anybody else loaded up the new showroom yet?

The first time I did it, the whole process was really sudden and confusing. this guy in a T-pose showed up and started talking really fast, and today I just got a bill in the mail for a $32,000 loan from "Shifty's Ship Loans and Swedish Meatball Emporium" that says something about kneecaps.

Citizens, please help, I think something's wrong with my game.

Press F10

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Steak & Skillet

Tools
Cast Iron Skillet
Not-lovely Oven Mitts (I use Welding Gloves)
Not-lovely Spatula

Food
1" Thick High Quality Steak Cut
Kosher Salt
Freshly Cracked Pepper
Peanut Oil

Meat Preparation
1. Brush one side of steak with peanut oil.
2. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
3. Flip steak.
4. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
5. Allow steak to come to room temperature.

Skillet Preparation
1. Turn on broiler.
2. Put skillet as close to broiler as possible.
3. Leave skillet in over for 20 minutes until stupid hot.
4. Set burner to high. If using an electric burner, pre-heat the fucker so it's glowing before the next step.
5. Disconnect your smoke alarm, open windows, turn the vent on max.

Food Stuff
1. Take skillet and put on hot burner.
2. Add meat.
3. Allow meat to sear for 45 seconds.
4. Flip meat.
5. Allow meat to sear for 45 seconds.
6. Place skillet in broiler.
7. Allow meat to cook for 2 minutes.
8. Remove and allow to rest on a plate lightly tented with foil for 10 minutes.
9. Eat your medium rare steak.
10. Thank me.

Why would I thank you? That steak is not multi-crew. You're a DSmart shill trying to ruin my immersion!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

You could also sous vide like a civilized person.

I dunno whys you can't see 'e's ORKY! 'e's aints gonna cook like no stupid humie!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

kikkelivelho posted:

The wormhole travel video from Pax South was whipped up to placate Chris during one of his crippling outbreaks of Braben Envy. He cried out, in a fever dream, "Witchspace! We gotta outdo Witchspace!"

So they cranked out an in-engine prototype and brought it to his bedside. The frenzy subsided and later, when he was ambulatory again, he decided to share it with fans.

Like so many such palliatives, it did not survive the "is this fun?" test and likely will not be included in the game.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 6, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:laffo:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
EightAce is The Wuldge. Poe's Law.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SabinBlitz posted:

EightAce is The Wuldge. Poe's Law.

hosed up if true

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
EightAce is the guy who had to pick up the script off the floor after Croberts dropped it on stage.

This is all his revenge.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

:lol: They'll be closing threads for being Derek Smart and goons next

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/44edxp/this_poor_sod_at_cig/

Fiddling around with xml files while space rome burns. Shitizens are pleased with this potemkin game development

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
We're going live in about 10 minutes.
Join in the fun - for the Glory of the Stimpire!

I've added to the Twitch stream lunchtime "you really don't want to watch us eat" screen.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

EightAce is the ginger guy outside the building with the "The game is nigh" placard, the one with the lifts in his shoes....

This but it says "down with this sort of thing"

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Roadmaps are the final step in game development.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheRoadBeer is a Gose.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Their content schedule for SC is none existent. They have what appears to be little teams working on a tiny thing or whatever and if they dont meet the cutoff point for the monthly patch it just gets pushed back for the next month.

CIG is in full content downplaying right now for SC, for the past two months they've been going "Guys dont get exited about SC 2.whatever" because they know all focus is going into SQ42 and whatever dregs they can get from that are repurposed for the 2.0 pre alpha.

That's what I thought, however if you can stand watching this for a few minutes this guy is one of the main fanboys. Have a listen to the stuff he actually expects them to do really really soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU82z7QGAoM

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

Roadmaps are the final step in game development.

Well yeah. How can you build a map before the road is finished? It would be a world gone mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It makes perfect sense when your features are actually assets.

• Locked thread