Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm planning on tackling Kenji's Barbacoa recipe tomorrow, and I couldn't find chuck where I live. I bought a 2.4kg piece of brisket (boneless) and I'd like to use that instead. Will it work as a direct substitution? Are there any adjustments I need to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

you can try putting a cast iron skillet (or something else that'll take a modest thermal shock) in the oven while you're preheating it, and then add some water right before putting the bread in.

How much water, about a cup?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

How much water, about a cup?
Enough so there's some left to turn into steam by the time you get the oven door closed, but you don't need much more than that. If I had to guess I'd say I usually use somewhere around half a litre/a pint, which would be about two cups.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got 1.5lbs of boneless pork chops, marinaded in a soy-based mix from earlier in this thread. What's the best way to cook these between a cast iron and oven? I like searing+baking steaks but these are fairly lean so I'm worried about drying them out.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Can I use several Kraft singles in place of sodium citrate for modernist mac and cheese? I may want to make it sooner than I can get sodium citrate shipped...

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got 1.5lbs of boneless pork chops, marinaded in a soy-based mix from earlier in this thread. What's the best way to cook these between a cast iron and oven? I like searing+baking steaks but these are fairly lean so I'm worried about drying them out.

This will depend on thickness. The pan will likely be enough if they're say less than an inch or so. Beyond that just keep an eye on the internal temp and they'll come out fine. Also keep in mind that pork doesn't need to be cooked to poo poo like most people think. A nice medium will be good and perfectly safe to eat.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Double post, didn't see this earlier. What kind of stuff do you have to work with when you get to the party? If you have access to a deep fryer, or a large pot or wok you can use for frying, maybe something like this?:

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-dakgangjeong

First off your friends will love you because it's loving delicious, but it's also a two-fry way of cooking wings. I haven't tried this myself but I wonder if it would work if you did the first spice coating and fry at home, then brought the fried wings (which will be cooked but pretty soggy and not something you'd want to eat at that point anyway) then do the second fry (the recipe says 10-12 mins but I found that more like 5 to 8 in high heat oil does ok too.) and simultaneously make the sauce at your friend's place. Toss, serve.

No fryer. The wings are baked, not fried. I so seldom even think about deep frying that I own no deep fryer. I will make the sauce ahead (the teriyaki is really quite good, I am expected to make it at Christmas and Super Bowl and get nothing but raves) and reheat / sauce the wings when I get house. If the party were at my goddaughter's house like it normally is, it wouldn't be a problem - I'd just show up early and use their ovens. But it's at the neighbors' so I don't have that option.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

Can I use several Kraft singles in place of sodium citrate for modernist mac and cheese? I may want to make it sooner than I can get sodium citrate shipped...

Yeah.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Kiiiind of? Are you talking about that super smooth nacho cheese textured sauce, or a specific recipe? Kraft will give you some of that texture but you'll have to add a lot to get it all the way to the texture you get with pure sodium citrate. I've done this and its good but it does taste a little ... kraft-y if you aren't using a super strong cheese.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yep. My grandma used that for her mac and cheese and always stressed that the kraft american cheese goes in first otherwise the sauce will get grainy. It was years before I understood why it worked.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It should be fine. I had an ice cream scoop that got dishwashed and I never could get all the oxidation off, but I probably wasn't using the right tools. But if you can get it off, it will be fine.

Just to reassure everybody, even shiny aluminum acquires a thin layer of oxidation a few minutes after being polished. Aluminum oxide is very inert and won't affect the food at all.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tots posted:

This will depend on thickness. The pan will likely be enough if they're say less than an inch or so. Beyond that just keep an eye on the internal temp and they'll come out fine. Also keep in mind that pork doesn't need to be cooked to poo poo like most people think. A nice medium will be good and perfectly safe to eat.

It's 3 chops, all ~3/4 -1in. thick so I'll probably go for the pan and cook to temp, unless just baking would be a better option. This is my first time cooking chops and yeah, I was raised on cooking the hell out of pork to the point where it's basically eating leather so I'd like to avoid that if possible (probably why I've avoided pork for so long).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I have a family recipe for peanut butter oatmeal fudge that's pretty good. The only thing is, it's way stiffer than I'd like, to the point of crumbling. Is there a simple way to modify the recipe to make the product a bit softer and chewier?

quote:

2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Bring to a boil, constantly stirring. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and add:

3 cups instant oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

Pour into greased 8x8 pan and cool.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

change the ratio between fudge and solids so try less oatmeal

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yep. My grandma used that for her mac and cheese and always stressed that the kraft american cheese goes in first otherwise the sauce will get grainy. It was years before I understood why it worked.

How much Kraft to regular cheese would you recommend using at a minimum? Would 15-20% be enough, do you think?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

spankmeister posted:

change the ratio between fudge and solids so try less oatmeal

Yeah, I had a similar recipe I used to make sometimes as a kid, and it didn't have any oatmeal at all in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How much Kraft to regular cheese would you recommend using at a minimum? Would 15-20% be enough, do you think?

It's been a long time since I used her recipe so I don't remember what the ratio was. That's probably a good place to start though.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So... probably not exactly the place to ask, but I didn't know any other place to go:

What's the best way to store pizza, and if stored correctly, what kind of quality can i expect a week later?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cooked - Fridge, raw - unassembled, parcooked and frozen - assembled.

Respectively: Soggy but can reheat to crispy, amazing when cooked, I'm experimenting with this now.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Whoa that looks excellent! I hadn't thought of using brie. Thanks!

You're very welcome. Lemme know how it turns out if you make it (isn't my site or recipe - just curious - I was a massive fan) :)

AnonSpore posted:

I will make this soup and I will eat this soup

Ditto!

Question of my own. I've never eaten rabbit in my life and have had this recipe kicking around in my "to try" folder for ages as it seemed like a good starting point, but was having trouble finding wild rabbit. Well I stumbled on some at a farmer's market today so impulse bought it. Pic for reference:

Trouble is; recipe says:

quote:

jointed into legs, shoulders and half saddles (ask your butcher to do this for you)

but that obviously wasn't an option as they weren't butchering on site - you get what you get. I'm not too bad at gutting/boning/filleting fish from scratch but have zero experience with animals that don't swim. Head's off, cute fluffy tail is off, skinned, it's hard to see in that pic but some offal is removed but reincluded for doing...something with (liver/kidneys it looks like - suggestions welcome...is rabbit pâté a bad idea?). Apart from that we are very much whole and still full of bones. Does anyone have any tips or (ideally) a link to a video on how to get that wascally wabbit into what the recipe calls for? It claims it was ferreted so at least I don't have to worry about removing shot...maybe?

Sorry, that got really long-winded but I am entirely clueless here, so I will not cry if you talk down to me like I'm an idiot. In fact, I'd prefer it :ohdear: I have sharp knives and am not particularly squeamish. Let's go!

Supplemental question: I've heard in the past that rabbit smells absolutely foul while cooking. True? Should I brace myself?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was a fluffy bunny's (I think) thread about raising meat rabbits and one of the posts was a rabbit being broken down. Alternatively use youtube.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
notsoape is who you're thinking of.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Yeah a youtube would be good, it's just that for every decent video on there you get 27 Simply Sara ones. I trust the people here to have a trustworthy one! Any idea where the rabbit thread is? I don't have search.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

franco posted:

Bunny Q's

Scott Rea is a wizard.
https://youtu.be/umRF1D3OsUc

gently caress YouTube for tricking me into sharing a lovely commercial for lovely beer

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 6, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

This is a superbowl commercial

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rabbit liver is really good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

This is a superbowl commercial

God drat it YouTube

https://youtu.be/umRF1D3OsUc

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I have a family recipe for peanut butter oatmeal fudge that's pretty good. The only thing is, it's way stiffer than I'd like, to the point of crumbling. Is there a simple way to modify the recipe to make the product a bit softer and chewier?

This is line for line the exact recipe I use for no-bake cookies. It's going to take some experimentation to get it right but start with boiling your syrup for slightly less time as it's the sugar that really gives it its structure. Then you can play around with increasing the fats.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Hah I should have remembered this guy! This is exactly what I needed - thank you!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm making homemade pizza tomorrow for a small super bowl party. One of my friends is gluten free and I always try to accommodate, which is why I have a small supply of gluten free rice flour on hand. Is there any way to make good pizza dough with just rice flour?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No, the gluten is what makes it pizza-y

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm making homemade pizza tomorrow for a small super bowl party. One of my friends is gluten free and I always try to accommodate, which is why I have a small supply of gluten free rice flour on hand. Is there any way to make good pizza dough with just rice flour?

Maybe buy some gluten free bread and then make a pizza style brushetta/crostini thing with it?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html

Do this, but with a corn tortilla.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

franco posted:

You're very welcome. Lemme know how it turns out if you make it (isn't my site or recipe - just curious - I was a massive fan) :)

It turned out great, thanks for the recommendation! I added a photo to the photo thread.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
When I'm watching chefs on TV/Youtube prep ingredients, why does nothing ever stick to their knives or hands? Are they some sort of gods?

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 6, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

When I'm watching chefs on TV/Youtube prep ingredients, why does nothing ever stick to their knifes or hands? Are they some sort of gods?

I kind of wonder the same thing but when they do the rock-the-knife conveyor belt chop on a carrot or zucchini or something, none of their previously-cut pieces ever seem to end up back under the knife for the next chop. It all falls in a neat pile away from the cutting action.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

I'll probably end up doing this, thanks!

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Mojo Threepwood posted:

It turned out great, thanks for the recommendation! I added a photo to the photo thread.

Excellent - glad you liked it! I posted mine in there too :hfive:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hogmartin posted:

I kind of wonder the same thing but when they do the rock-the-knife conveyor belt chop on a carrot or zucchini or something, none of their previously-cut pieces ever seem to end up back under the knife for the next chop. It all falls in a neat pile away from the cutting action.

The Ferret King posted:

When I'm watching chefs on TV/Youtube prep ingredients, why does nothing ever stick to their knives or hands? Are they some sort of gods?

This, this, this. Whenever I'm cutting avocado, one thin slice will stick to the blade, then fall with a sullen "pilap" to the floor. Every time. I could never be a youtube sensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Dearest foodgoons,

I've purchased a food mill which has a wooden roller in it:

I've got two questions:

- Did I gently caress up? I kind of feel like I hosed up for not getting an all stainless "barrel" style model, but it was all the store had, it was cheap, and I didn't want to gently caress around.
- What should I use to treat the wood before I use this thing for the first time?