Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I've spent the last few days tweaking settings and now the tactical battles are running pretty smoothly, mostly 60FPS. The Avenger, end-of-battle promotions screen, and the Geoscape are slogs and often-times slideshows. Why is THAT the most intensive part of the game?! It's making the game unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they keep getting stuck in a loop of soldiers healing and being forced to do Retaliation/Priority Missions, and I got slapped with two new facilities almost right off the bat in both campaigns I started while trying to get ahead of that drat curve.

Yup, you get a choice of three on "what way do I not get more on my plate this month?" with it counting down weekly until it's coming while you're trying to spin several other plates.

Considering they're essentially Ethereals and a single one can badly gently caress up a group of rookies, yes. They wouldn't be so bad as a middle-game enemy, the problem is that they're dumped on the player from the start even on Rookie and turn up in enough numbers that what should be easy kills early on to get some Squaddies up turns into an unnecessarily brutal fight for survival.

It took 4 missions of running into them to find out they had powers outside of making a unit I entirely ignore because I believe in the true XCom tactic of throwing more HE down range. They're really, really not that bad a unit and they are far less likely to Code Black a loving unit than Thin Men/Raining Thin Men. Grenade their cover, shoot the hell out of them, flash bang them if you're worried about them doing any mind dickery.

Edit: Christ, I hit reply to a post, go get ready for work and come back 4 pages later.

Nebiros fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 7, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do people typically save-scum heavily in XCOM or do you just roll with the punches and hope for the best (from the RNG)?

I generally only reload in the case of bugs but cover bugs are kind of a gray area here. Typically if there's someone whose getting a full cover bonus when they shouldn't I will take the shot and reload if it misses and I have somewhere else I can move the unit.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do people typically save-scum heavily in XCOM or do you just roll with the punches and hope for the best (from the RNG)?

I was reloading a lot at the start because I was making dumb mistakes but then I got better at playing and don't make dumb mistakes I need to reload anymore.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Ranger misses every shot he takes in this mission. Codex with 5 hp left. Melee attack that should kill it. Grazes for 1 damage. Faceless spawns from civilian right next to Codex.

:xcom:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mejwell posted:

Oh while I'm asking stupid questions, is there to tell whether your sharpshooters have sightlines through squadsight vs. their own line of sight? Is there something that indicates how far a selected unit can see? I don't think I'm interpreting the interface correctly.

There's a small icon on the markers at the bottom, you'll be able to tell the difference when you see it. And you can tell if your units can see through a crosshair appearing next to their name.

Are the things in the GTS like Ranger: Deadshot only for rangers, or is that just saying that it is unlocked by a ranger getting to the appropriate rank?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I only scum when the game bugs out. Which is a lot. Gonna wait for a few patches before doing Ironman.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

cheesetriangles posted:

I was reloading a lot at the start because I was making dumb mistakes but then I got better at playing and don't make dumb mistakes I need to reload anymore.

Yeah, this had been my approach. If I take a lovely shot before remembering that I still have a grenade I can wipe the target with, I'll reload. The sight-indicators have removed LoS fuckery reloads as a thing in 2 though, which is nice.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FordPRefectLL posted:

Ranger misses every shot he takes in this mission. Codex with 5 hp left. Melee attack that should kill it. Grazes for 1 damage. Faceless spawns from civilian right next to Codex.

:xcom:

This reminds me of playing the original Xcom, and gunning down civilians on terror missions with chrysalids

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

He's talking about Enemy Unknown, you guys! XCOM: EU isn't quite as forgiving of failure. Since it's your first time playing, it might not be a bad idea to save-scum if you wipe a valuable squad, or if you fail an important mission.

Otherwise, though, deaths and setbacks are gonna happen. Try to roll with the punches as best you can!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any mods I should run the first time

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is dodge percentage displayed anywhere? Because it is kind of a bullshit mechanic.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd love for the Laboratory to have a secondary feature of creating combat sims, and the workshop to make gun upgrades. Hell, make them random ones if you want to avoid "gaming" them. :unsmith:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

started on the roof of the 2nd blacksite mission, is that normal? think it hosed me over starting there and climbing down into a next of fuckers. then again I was probably hosed to begin with; goddamn Codex fuckers. even with 8 soldiers I had to pull out of that poo poo.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

SweetBro posted:

I only scum when the game bugs out. Which is a lot. Gonna wait for a few patches before doing Ironman.

This is a really good idea, because my current ironman save is totally broken, thanks to a bug that makes the game crash when I load it.

RIP my soldiers

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Thyrork posted:

I'd love for the Laboratory to have a secondary feature of creating combat sims, and the workshop to make gun upgrades. Hell, make them random ones if you want to avoid "gaming" them. :unsmith:

I'm still not sure on how I feel about the random vests/ammos/EXO weapons. The ammos at least seem to be good, but the flamethrower has not been as good as the rocket launcher has been. I guess part of it is I needed to get a proving ground up and running but even on Veteran I had no funds for a very long time. The Lab needs to do something though, because you research super fast and run out of techs as is.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Underwhelmed posted:

This reminds me of playing the original Xcom, and gunning down civilians on terror missions with chrysalids

Does that work in this one?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
One thing I would like to see is the Black Market selling Experimental Ammo/Grenades/Heavy Weapons for intel. Say, 2 random ammo, 1 grenade and 1 HW per month. I'm sick of trying to get Tracer rounds for my sniper only to end up with a hundred of those crit+ rounds I have no interest in using. I have genuinely considered savescumming the proving grounds. Also yes, Random PCS and Random Loot projects would be good. And let me upgrade the Proving Grounds to manufacture 2 things at once (or halve the time again, I don't care.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

:woop: Hey heads up since I know a lot of people have been asking for it! :woop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618347691
This mod just came out and it lets you make your Tier 2 and/or 3 armors look like Tier 1 armors, in case you don't like how they look, or you prefer the kevlar stuff's variety, or you just want to show off your sick arm tattoos, or whatever. Now you don't have to be stuck in the final tier visually. Also I'm not sure but maybe you can mix and match so you can have some guys in future armor and some guys in turtlenecks. I haven't tried that yet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618316725
This is apparently a version that works for the Resistance Pack extra options, too.

Catching up on the thread, but hell YES thanks for the heads-up. Can't wait for them to do ballistics/gauss too.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Why should I pick phantom when I can have its bigger brother, Conceal? It would actually make my ranger useful for other things than being a lookout.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So can I skulljack anything or just officers? Any benefit to doing it more than once?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

Any mods I should run the first time

Free camera rotation is a flavor mod that I feel a easy recommendation.

I began using http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616857663 after I ran into my second hard extraction failure mission that I don't think I could have finished unless I dead sprinted the entire map without any hostiles.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617790120 is one that I feel is pretty good. Or some variation. The game has a lot of alerts and it can really start to grind down on your good times when every three seconds something is screaming for attention and the big red bar at the top feels like it's pressing down on your ability to just dig the game. That or just disable it entirely and enjoy your darkest dungeon playthrough.

I stopped using the three original mods, the leadership/smg/muton one. I never used the SMGs, the leadership one wasn't for me and Mutons pretty much vanished almost as soon as I first encountered them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eimi posted:

I'm still not sure on how I feel about the random vests/ammos/EXO weapons. The ammos at least seem to be good, but the flamethrower has not been as good as the rocket launcher has been. I guess part of it is I needed to get a proving ground up and running but even on Veteran I had no funds for a very long time. The Lab needs to do something though, because you research super fast and run out of techs as is.

I'm in the same camp Eimi, having it be random doesn't feel as good, but the amount of other items that I ignore and never give a chance is pretty impressive already.

A solution might be something on the lines of "You've made X number of randomized Y, Here's a project that lets you choose one."

MarquiseMindfang posted:

One thing I would like to see is the Black Market selling Experimental Ammo/Grenades/Heavy Weapons for intel. Say, 2 random ammo, 1 grenade and 1 HW per month. I'm sick of trying to get Tracer rounds for my sniper only to end up with a hundred of those crit+ rounds I have no interest in using. I have genuinely considered savescumming the proving grounds. Also yes, Random PCS and Random Loot projects would be good. And let me upgrade the Proving Grounds to manufacture 2 things at once (or halve the time again, I don't care.)

This would also be good.

I also wouldn't mind seeing it be a country bonus. Got all of america on your side? "Hidden Arms Manufacturer unlocked! - Receive one selected ammo/grenade per month!" ... or something. :shrug:

Vib Rib posted:

:woop: Hey heads up since I know a lot of people have been asking for it! :woop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618347691
This mod just came out and it lets you make your Tier 2 and/or 3 armors look like Tier 1 armors, in case you don't like how they look, or you prefer the kevlar stuff's variety, or you just want to show off your sick arm tattoos, or whatever. Now you don't have to be stuck in the final tier visually. Also I'm not sure but maybe you can mix and match so you can have some guys in future armor and some guys in turtlenecks. I haven't tried that yet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618316725
This is apparently a version that works for the Resistance Pack extra options, too.

This is pretty great! Are you insane enough to extend it to letting Tier 3 look like Teir 2, and do the same with guns? :unsmigghh:

No really, that'd be hella cool.
E: Now I'm not sure if you made them Vib. :shobon: Nevermind!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 7, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just had a revelation: Someone should make a mod to recreate the elemental effects system from Divinity: Original Sin in this game. Throw a gas grenade at some fools and then shoot them with dragon rounds to make the gas cloud explode. :supaburn: :unsmigghh:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I probably wouldn't mind elerium cores being in the black market, since I haven't seen one in about 3 months now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thyrork posted:

I'm in the same camp Eimi, having it be random doesn't feel as good, but the amount of other items In I ignore and never give a chance is pretty impressive already.

A solution might be something on the lines of "You've made X number of randomized Y, Here's a project that lets you choose one."

I also wouldn't mind seeing it be a country bonus. Got all of america on your side? "Hidden Arms Manufacturer unlocked! - Receive one selected ammo/grenade per month!" ... or something. :shrug:

Maybe even just let you manufacture it normally after you've gotten it once, then remove it from the randomised pool. So it'd take 25 days with an engineer to unlock all the ammo types in a random order, then you could buy them for 50 supplies a shot in the "Build Item" part of engineering. 15 days to unlock all grenades, and buy them for 75 a shot. And so on and so forth. That was how I thought it'd work before release.

As it stands I made a grand total of 1 powered weapon, 2 grenades, 0 armours, and spent the rest of my time spamming ammo types because tracer rounds.

I did eventually end up with a Sniper spec sharpshooter with 15% Aim from a Superior Scope, 10% from Tracer Rounds, and 21% from a PCS. Slapped a Superior Autoloader onto him and got a chain of 7 Serial kills.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 7, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bholder posted:

Why should I pick phantom when I can have its bigger brother, Conceal? It would actually make my ranger useful for other things than being a lookout.

Because Run-n-Gun is an exceedingly useful skill?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
This looks normal right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Elliotw2 posted:

This looks normal right?

Impossible difficulty is looking tough

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, I just finished my first game. The last mission is actually pretty tough, even on Veteran. They make you, as in the commander, the volunteer, and you get some sick nasty psionic powers plus an extra soldier, but then you have to kill three things exactly like you while dealing with constant waves of enemies. This is after rolling through three or four big rooms with sectopods and poo poo. It's a lot like the first one in that it's a big exposition dump, but you can't one shot the final boss, plus there's three of them.

I managed to get most researches done. Never got the alien psi amp cause I only killed the one gatekeeper. Never got the research for a tier 3 grenade launcher. Does anybody know where that comes from? Also, my favorite character turned out to be my hardass stealth ranger that I took to calling a shotgun wizard. Shotguns seem to be much better at range than I expected.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 7, 2016

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Pwnstar posted:

I've got Tier 3 armor and weapons and I've only gotten 2 PCS things in the whole game haha.

Black Market refreshes its inventory every time you get a supply drop from the resistance and even the best mods are only 20 to 30 intel, so checking the Black Market every month and helping yourself to any superior scopes or perception PCS chips is always a good idea.

Bholder posted:

The opportunity cost of taking conceal is not taking Run and Gun, which is a skill that puts you on the path to being a shotgun king.

SuperKlaus posted:

I can't play this game myself for several days and I'm starving for data, precious data, and your posts are manna from heaven. Keep it up dude, you're making it worthwhile to sift through the white noise.

Glad to help, theory op is my kind of thing. You can learn a fair amount from the streams though if you have the time.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Because Run-n-Gun is an exceedingly useful skill?

Why would I use run and gun to take them out of concealment.

Also swords.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Well, it looks as though my first second campaign is going to be over. Unfortunately, I was not on top of the avatar project. I used my two get out of timer free cards, but wasn't able to make the last part stick.

At first I had to blow up the blacksite, I had to tank some income hits because I took an injury that stopped my best soldier from doing a retaliation in my HQ region. Shortly after, another pip popped up and I had only a few gorilla ops to try and skulljack an officer for my other free pip. I managed it, it was tense. Can you imagine it, campaign comes down to '70% chance to kill this fucker, and buy yourself some time. 30% chance to instantly lose the campaign.' I got lucky and bought some time.

No facilities seemed to spawn near me, which was rather unfortunate. I was one region away from a 3 pip facility, but I lacked the intel to make contact (I had the intel, but I wastefully spent it on rushing plasma weapon research because I forgot I had to go one more region, I thought I was able to get the facility from where I was. I just finished the shadow chamber, and I can research both the brain and the vial, the unfortunate truth being that they both are going to require three days to research, and the doom ticker says one day till completion of the avatar project.

It was a good run, I learned a lot, and I'll be sad to see a lot of the soldiers go. I should send a few of them to the character pool before it ends. All that's left is to let it tick down...or install a mod to give me a few extra doom ticker bars.

Also I'm kicking myself cause I goofed and sold all my sectoid corpses, at which point I discovered 'Oh wait, advanced psi amp requires two.' Yeah that sucked. Domination is the best though, a Magus even on T1 psi amp has 100% on a muton.

64bitrobot fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 7, 2016

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Elliotw2 posted:

This looks normal right?

I had a similar bug where my timers didn't trigger and I had things like Shadow Ops: -7 days to completion. I reloaded and it was fixed.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This is for everyone having Stun Lancer problems:

What could go wrong?

I'd assume 60+ of those were Stun Lancers.

This hero here somehow managed to be a part of that mission and not get promoted.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You know it's gonna be a good mission when every single shot in your overwatch ambush misses from like 7 squares away.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is there a mod yet to make all the little in-mission cutscenes skippable

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Broken Cog posted:

You know it's gonna be a good mission when every single shot in your overwatch ambush misses from like 7 squares away.

gently caress Archons, right? gently caress Archons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bobtheconqueror posted:

Never got the research for a tier 3 grenade launcher. Does anybody know where that comes from?

I'd also like to know this. Is there even such a thing or is there only the one grenade launcher upgrade? Everything else had three tiers so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm fiddling around with re-creating the Hidden Potential modifier from Second Wave.Over 7 levels this would give a char 0-14 extra Aim and help to make them a bit different from each other. Is 0-2 points of extra Aim per level too much ?