Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo that theme :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There are so many things to like about Chrono Cross, but it's still not good. It is very interesting, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

There are so many things to like about Chrono Cross, but it's still not good. It is very interesting, though.

This is a pretty much perfect description of Chrono Cross, yeah.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoEMaWrQBQM

Observation: the most emotionally charged moments in both CT and CC take place at Lucca's house.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I feel like a game being interesting is better than it being good. It's why I prefer MGS2 to 3.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Cross is probably like my third favorite JRPG on the PSX, I liked it a lot. A lot of it is nonsense but a lot of the set pieces are also pretty memorable IMO. It also looks and sounds gorgeous.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i knew i loved chrono cross despite any and all flaws when i walked into the big important end of act 1 dungeon and half of the music inside is a chill jazzy breakdown

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Cross is probably like my third favorite JRPG on the PSX, I liked it a lot. A lot of it is nonsense but a lot of the set pieces are also pretty memorable IMO. It also looks and sounds gorgeous.

I appreciate that Chrono Cross NG+ lets you learn that the Dwarves who blame you for wiping them out would have, if given the chance, done the exact same thing to another species and still had the stones to blame you for it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Chrono Cross is probably #1 on the list of games I'd like to have remade to be actually good. It's basically 2/3 of a game that never got finished, and it's blatantly obvious, to the point you can actually spot where the plot ran out and the infodumps begin.

Legend of Mana is also aces and I wish its mechanics made even a lick of sense.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Legend of Mana's mechanics are so basic that there isn't a lot not to understand. Its crafting is another animal entirely, but everything else about it is pretty basic. A lot of it, like learning moves, just hides its math from the player, but isn't hard to deconstruct, at least on an approximate level. It also has a lot of "talky" missions with stupid conversation switches that you have to do in a very specific order, which makes me want to revisit it even less.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
if you wanna talk mechanics, Unlimited Saga's mechanics are something else.

I cant believe I actually finished it.

It also had an absolutely amazing soundtrack. One of the best ive ever heard.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

Chrono Cross is probably #1 on the list of games I'd like to have remade to be actually good. It's basically 2/3 of a game that never got finished, and it's blatantly obvious, to the point you can actually spot where the plot ran out and the infodumps begin.
That's Xenogears! Another PSX JRPG I like more than I probably should.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Now now, Xenogears is a legit good game. The difference between it and Chrono Cross is that the final area of CC is three random ghost kids who stand around and explain everything. Why? What or who are they? Why is the fact Lynx was Serge's dad only revealed hours after he died and was no longer relevant?

WHO KNOWS!

Xenogears has problems but presentation is not one of them. Learning your dad was the villain is one of the coolest scenes in Xenogears. It wasn't just vomited at you by three random things that I think were the CT characters only not really.

I like Cross but there is no defending that final stretch of the game. They weren't even trying. Although the music for freeing Schala and the good ending is really nice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenogears has problems but presentation is not one of them.

did you misplace disc 2?

it's still an epic game though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like a game being interesting is better than it being good. It's why I prefer MGS2 to 3.
MGS2 is my favorite too, but it's genuinely a good game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenogears has problems but presentation is not one of them. Learning your dad was the villain is one of the coolest scenes in Xenogears. It wasn't just vomited at you by three random things that I think were the CT characters only not really.

I like Cross but there is no defending that final stretch of the game. They weren't even trying. Although the music for freeing Schala and the good ending is really nice.

So what do you call the entire second disk?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Xenogears had an epic scale. Cross was about some islands you never saw during CT.

Chrono Cross was miserably awful, y'all have some rose-colored glasses on right now. It doesn't even make top ten PSX JRPGs. Anyone defending it needs some Star Ocean 2, Grandia, or Threads of Fate in their life, STAT.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't stand Star Ocean 2, I'd take a thousand Chrono Crosses before playing that again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Wasn't Chrono Cross the game about a giant space bug pulling a Paradise super computer back in time in a petty attempt to not die and then the planet responded by pulling out a living Draconic super computer god and the whole plot is about their multi dimensional time war and how this is all to stop time from breaking completely? Cross had issues but lacking a grand scale is not one of them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm playing Star Ocean 2 and Chrono Cross right now. While they're both very bad games, Chrono Cross is easily much better. I feel like CC is at least trying. At least CC has the music and great atmospheric places like the Dead Sea and Chronopolis.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I like Chrono Cross, clusterfuck and all. Meanwhile I got suckered into playing Star Ocean 2 years and years ago after being told it was awesome and it was completely godawful, derivative poo poo which is only made bearable by how much you can break the game over your knee. It kind of reminds me of FF VIII in that regard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Man, FFVIII is a lot of things but I don't know if I'd call it derivative of anything other than FFVII.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Fun fact. Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate, and Chrono Cross all came out in a three month window, and if you prepurchased all three you got a free backpack.

Summer of 2000 was a weird time to be a Square fan. Was Threads of Fate weird or memorable? I mean, with that kind of company I'd expect it to be a really charming and bizarre title, but I've never heard anything about it.

Also now I really want Square to make a Summer of Adventure 2020 promo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Man, FFVIII is a lot of things but I don't know if I'd call it derivative of anything other than FFVII.

I was meaning more that most of the fun I got from FF VIII was breaking it over my knee with the Junction mechanics and the only fun I had in SO 2 was breaking it over my knee with the item creation system. Though to be honest I'm a bit biased against FF VIII since I first played it as a dumb kid who didn't fully understand the Junctioning system so I probably give it a harsher rep than it deserves.

But everything about SO 2 sucked and that it's considered the best in the series says something about the series to begin with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I loving love PS1-era gaming. It was the time where gaming had arrived but before it had become a Hollywood-style industry so no one had any clue what they were doing and you get all this crazy weird stuff done by people who have no idea how to handle their ever-increasing budgets.

I love Chrono Cross and Xenogears and all those games, even if they're not necessarily good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Artix posted:

So what do you call the entire second disk?

Disk 2 uses The Chair as a segue between playable parts. Basically they say "stuff happened" and then you play the game some more. You still get actual cutscenes and stuff for anything of importance.

Some of the best moments in the game are on Disk 2.

If Xenogears was like Chrono Cross, Grahf wouldn't have confronted us with a big awesome scene/battle showcasing how amazing the Xenogears is. He would have been defeated and then at the end of the final dungeon two hours later some random character would appear and say "oh and Grahf was your father Khan."

That's what I meant about superior presentation.

FactsAreUseless posted:

MGS2 is my favorite too, but it's genuinely a good game.

I think it's a good game too but in many ways I can't deny MGS3 was more competently put together. It's just that what was competently put together wasn't as interesting as what happened in MGS2, cut content and all.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 8, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

xedo posted:

Was Threads of Fate weird or memorable? I mean, with that kind of company I'd expect it to be a really charming and bizarre title, but I've never heard anything about it.
Both. It gets overshadowed because Brave Fencer Musashi did platformer RPG better but it's neat. Not great, but if you have the ability it's worth a look.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Xenogears was one of the worst big-budget games of its generation and its curse routinely plagues the series to this day.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Xenogears had an epic scale. Cross was about some islands you never saw during CT.

Chrono Cross was miserably awful, y'all have some rose-colored glasses on right now. It doesn't even make top ten PSX JRPGs. Anyone defending it needs some Star Ocean 2, Grandia, or Threads of Fate in their life, STAT.

But the soundtrack is amazing.

Oxxidation posted:

Xenogears was one of the worst big-budget games of its generation and its curse routinely plagues the series to this day.

But the giant robots were amazing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

Seconded.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loving love PS1-era gaming. It was the time where gaming had arrived but before it had become a Hollywood-style industry so no one had any clue what they were doing and you get all this crazy weird stuff done by people who have no idea how to handle their ever-increasing budgets.

I love Chrono Cross and Xenogears and all those games, even if they're not necessarily good.

We also got this in the PS2 era and it owned. A lot of silly vanity projects that were fun to see happen like the Bouncer or Kingdom Hearts, a lot of anime based games that still trying to figure out how games worked, just a ton of cool poo poo from those two eras.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

xedo posted:

Summer of 2000 was a weird time to be a Square fan. Was Threads of Fate weird or memorable? I mean, with that kind of company I'd expect it to be a really charming and bizarre title, but I've never heard anything about it.

Charming, definitely. It has the sort of character you expect out of a game that was released in that part of the era: a small handful of static NPCs with lots of things to say, but not quite enough time to say it in. You had two characters with two distinct storylines, multiple regions specific to each of them, completely different endings, and a post-credits epilogue scene that you unlock by finishing the game with both characters. Unfortunately, I guess because they had to split development between the two characters because the game feels really short.

Gameplay-wise, it's easy to cheese. It can be frustrating if you can't figure out how to do it, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Baal posted:

We also got this in the PS2 era and it owned. A lot of silly vanity projects that were fun to see happen like the Bouncer or Kingdom Hearts, a lot of anime based games that still trying to figure out how games worked, just a ton of cool poo poo from those two eras.

PS2 did give us Drakengard.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Maybe because I never loving use my PS4 and have recently been going back to PS3 games I missed, but it still feels weird to me to have the PS2 being officially "old" with games being put up on PSN and stuff. :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chrono Cross is a great game except for the very end. It's just really avant-garde.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 8, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I also really love the setting of Chrono Cross: instead of a big JRPG world, you get to really explore one tiny corner of it, making it more detailed overall. A pacific archipelago is a pretty rare sight too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

PS2 did give us Drakengard.

What a magical time for gamers

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

The first line is about Cross but you can also say that about Xenogears. Mitsuda is amazing.

I'm not really picky about my RPGs, to be frank. I'm hardly some master of the genre but I've played a decent aount of JRPGs and the only ones I consider terrible are Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and....that's pretty much it, actually. I can defend every other JRPG I've played, even if they are hosed up and terribly flawed like FFVIII, but SO3 is just beyond defense.

I guess I can just find the good in most things. Yay me.

Baal posted:

Not PS2 but since we are talking about Masato Kato games, he wrote Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and I absolutely love that game. Also we were talking about games with great music so it's relevant for that, too.Oh and we were discussing FFXII's audio issues and BK has some of that, too. Everyone sounds like they are wearing fish bowls.

But goddam I love that game.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

The first line is about Cross but you can also say that about Xenogears. Mitsuda is amazing.

I'm not really picky about my RPGs, to be frank. I'm hardly some master of the genre but I've played a decent aount of JRPGs and the only ones I consider terrible are Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and....that's pretty much it, actually. I can defend every other JRPG I've played, even if they are hosed up and terribly flawed like FFVIII, but SO3 is just beyond defense.

Star Ocean 4 was much much worse.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Augus posted:

Thirded!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

i didn't play Chrono Cross until roughly 4 years ago, get bent