Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Renaissance Robot posted:

Devils are formed from part of the feminine black flame and skew heavily feminine in appearance, though they seem much less uptight about changing that as they grow.

Yeah Vladok, for example, was definitely not feminine in the slightest. After losing his mask, he ceased existing as an identity and his replacement is feminine. How much of that is because feminine is the "default" for devils, because of the mask, or because the first name Allison chose was Princess, can be left to speculations. Anyway, Vladok was a he, and Princess Mamoru Moonshine Jagermeister Jack Jack Daniels Timothy Tim Bill Freddy Mercury Blueberry Luna, Esquire is a she.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah Vladok, for example, was definitely not feminine in the slightest. After losing his mask, he ceased existing as an identity and his replacement is feminine. How much of that is because feminine is the "default" for devils, because of the mask, or because the first name Allison chose was Princess, can be left to speculations. Anyway, Vladok was a he, and Princess Mamoru Moonshine Jagermeister Jack Jack Daniels Timothy Tim Bill Freddy Mercury Blueberry Luna, Esquire is a she.

I think all the pale and blue demons we've seen have been feminine.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Autonomous Monster posted:

?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Basically my understanding was that while White Chain's appearance seems somewhat feminine, that's more happenstance than any desire to be regarded as female. White Chain has become more like YIS and less like UN, and while a shift from masculine to feminine is wrapped up in that, it is not, in this case, the most important thing.

Perhaps earlier in the comic, back on Throne, but here White Chain seems to have come around on there being at least one more angel gender. Perhaps she did some thinking after the fight with Delicious, who was much more on board with the idea. I imagine we'll get to hear more about this soon since Vigilant Gaze and the other angels have been chatting about her "humanity problem" since she left with Juggernaut.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is that a pale? Guess it must be, huh.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure Number One (the dude on the bus that White Chain harassed into giving up Cio's location) was a blue demon dude, can't think of any others at the moment though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Number One was a crimson devil. Unusually small, but red mask and blue skin make two out of three as described here.

Begemot posted:

Perhaps earlier in the comic, back on Throne, but here White Chain seems to have come around on there being at least one more angel gender. Perhaps she did some thinking after the fight with Delicious, who was much more on board with the idea. I imagine we'll get to hear more about this soon since Vigilant Gaze and the other angels have been chatting about her "humanity problem" since she left with Juggernaut.

Huh, I'd completely forgotten about that! I was definitely still working with the 82 we knew from Hell 71.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 6, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FAT BATMAN posted:

Can I just say. Zoss looks like the baddest dude in every frame he's been in. I love it.

I like how, in the panel where Michael explains the prophecy, Michael only comes up to Zoss's waist.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Number One was a crimson devil. Unusually small, but red mask and blue skin make two out of three as described here.

Nah, he's a blue devil as claimed by White Chain here. I figure the discrepancy is probably because this page came before all the different classes of devils and their determining traits were decided on, and at that point in the story blue devils were just blue.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Mentalizer posted:

Nah, he's a blue devil as claimed by White Chain here. I figure the discrepancy is probably because this page came before all the different classes of devils and their determining traits were decided on, and at that point in the story blue devils were just blue.

i just noticed that the metropolitan transit corpse still has the spear that killed it jammed through its chest.

zoss does not gently caress around

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Mentalizer posted:

UGH

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Begemot posted:

I think it's more likely she was just still in the closet before then. Banishing White Chain basically outed her, since everyone can see how human her true form is. Although it sounds like there had been rumors before that - see creepy eyeless whoremonger's job offer from right at the beginning.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

honestly after some of the stuff i've been consuming lately my standards for "feminine" and "masculine" have been so incredibly loosened that i could see that one going either way :v:

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

paranoid randroid posted:

i just noticed that the metropolitan transit corpse still has the spear that killed it jammed through its chest.

zoss does not gently caress around

drat, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. It's gotta be a bitch to drive though, just knocking over houses and poo poo every time the driver makes a u-turn.

:confused: I wasn't trying to be a dick, sorry if it sounded that way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No no, it's not you, I'm just a bit frustrated that I keep remembering details from the earlier pages correctly but in the wrong context.

I should probably do a reread but that still doesn't fix that I'm never sure what to pay more attention to, the words or the art (especially given that the early script has been changed like three times at this point).

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

WHAT RINGS HAVEN THA, WHELPLING?

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 8, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cryophage posted:

THE LEGEND RETURNS

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Cryophage posted:

SHE'S BACK. IN BLACK.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

btw Operant your New Worlds short is severely loving excellent

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cryophage posted:

JAGGANOTHS RING AND FAVOR AND PROTECTION

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BECOME UNNNNSTOPPABLE

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

JAGGANOTHS RING AND FAVOR AND PROTECTION

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BECOME UNNNNSTOPPABLE

"Ya see yon gold-plated git what Ye saved earlier-wise?"

"Yyyyyyyeah?"

"KICK 'IM OFF THA LEDGE!"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We have an update. The other angels... Aren't quite buying it. Hm. Was hoping for a bit more than this. Though some are sympathetic, at least; Red Word is an rear end in a top hat, but Questioning Fate seems nice, if, like Vigilant Gaze, extremely out of touch and distant.

“The angel is a mighty judge, for his gavel is a fist of stone encasing a terrible and unforgiving fire. A corpse-ocean of criminals have been fed to that flame, yet oceans more shall never quell its unrelenting hunger.”
-15 Ways of Ruling

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 10, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love that there's apparently a significant contingent of angels who are like "yeah gently caress the Law, we're just going to hang in the void and gossip"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm kind of shocked to find out that Vigilant Gaze knows some humans, though I guess there were plenty hanging out at that demon bar that Allison visited.

Seeing some parallels between White Chain and Rose from Steven Universe here and I love it :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

I'm kind of shocked to find out that Vigilant Gaze knows some humans, though I guess there were plenty hanging out at that demon bar that Allison visited.

That's 52 Holy Mists Rising From the Abyss, the one with the green wings coming from his head, talking in the last bubble. Their text colors are very similar, though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Roland Jones posted:

That's 52 Holy Mists Rising From the Abyss, the one with the green wings coming from his head, talking in the last bubble. Their text colors are very similar, though.

Oh, so it is. I shouldn't known because it didn't have the fancy H's.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Title text says it all really. These guys are like the ultimate ivory tower philosophers. They're not bad chaps but musing exclusively on the flame eternal rather than the world it forms has left them a bit unthinkingly dickish.

Check yo privilege void bros.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it interesting that only Red Word (the mirror angel) is aggressively anti-human. Holy Mists is supportive of White Chain and is defending humans somewhat, Vigilant Gaze is mixed between worrying about White Chain and telling Red Word to stop being such a dick, Ambulant Blade (the headless blue one) has a sort of "well, whatever" bigotry, and Questioning Fate (the polyhedron) and Dark Spear (the wing vortex) are both mostly concerned with White Chain's well-being, though in slightly different ways it seems.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I totally got a "some of my friends are black!" vibe from the dialogue there.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

The barely repressed visage of someone enduring waves of open-chastising and mewling-patronizing crashing across both sides of a boiling cauldron of rage.

What will be the tipping point?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ConfusedUs posted:

I totally got a "some of my friends are black!" vibe from the dialogue there.

Oh yeah, that's basically this. I'm just surprised that only one of them has Michael levels of open antipathy here.

Berk Berkly posted:

The barely repressed visage of someone enduring waves of open-chastising and mewling-patronizing crashing across both sides of a boiling cauldron of rage.

What will be the tipping point?

I'm thinking it happens in the next comic, though it's not a sure thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i for one welcome white chain's metamorphosis into the most loose-cannon cop in creation

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, that's basically this. I'm just surprised that only one of them has Michael levels of open antipathy here.

There's also notes of classic thing of a beaten wife going to the pastor for the help, who then takes her back to her back to her husband for a righteous beating on account of her lying about him being abusive :v: (the bit where Vigilant Gaze suggests telling Michael when we've just established he's part of the problem)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's also notes of classic thing of a beaten wife going to the pastor for the help, who then takes her back to her back to her husband for a righteous beating on account of her lying about him being abusive :v: (the bit where Vigilant Gaze suggests telling Michael when we've just established he's part of the problem)

I took that as Vigilant Gaze not believing White Chain's story at all and thinking that White Chain is delirious from nearly being killed by the Thorns, rather than thinking White Chain needs to be punished (heck, he said that he wants himself to be reprimanded for letting White Chain leave with Juggernaut Star alone), but fair point I suppose.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Roland Jones posted:

I took that as Vigilant Gaze not believing White Chain's story at all and thinking that White Chain is delirious from nearly being killed by the Thorns, rather than thinking White Chain needs to be punished (heck, he said that he wants himself to be reprimanded for letting White Chain leave with Juggernaut Star alone), but fair point I suppose.

I think that's more what I was trying to get at, that he flat doesn't believe White Chain so his idea is to go talk to the guy they just told him is at the root of the problem, and that this is a fairly old patriarchal routine.

I'm pretty doped up at the minute, not surprised I make even less sense than usual.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think that's more what I was trying to get at, that he flat doesn't believe White Chain so his idea is to go talk to the guy they just told him is at the root of the problem, and that this is a fairly old patriarchal routine.

I'm pretty doped up at the minute, not surprised I make even less sense than usual.

yeah i got it

IDK that 'believe' even enters into it so much as the system has one way of addressing problems, and that's to defer to the judgement of the guy who happens to be creating the problem, and nobody who's not directly in the crosshairs at the moment really cares enough to up and overthrow their entire political system and start la revolucion this minute on behalf of some mortals they don't even really like. Angels are creatures of law, they're not necessarily creatures of justice.

more currently, sorta the same thing seen every time there's a police shooting where the police hold an internal review to rubber-stamp absolve their own of any wrongdoing and welp justice has been done, we sent the case through all the proper channels, that's the way the cookie crumbles :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 10, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
But which of these angels will tell everyone to shut it, and announce they're going to cook food for White Chain?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
117 White Knight Walks Eleven Miles Through Snow To Fix Your PC, Thirstily

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Angels are the constructed defenders of the Old Law. It's literally a system that's been cast out and destroyed. I'm not surprised that they don't adjust very well, on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The only group of angels who hasn't made a play at controlling White Chain are the petal knights. We don't really know what their deal is, but given that the Thorns just killed one of their own I'm expecting them to show their hand soon.