Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Kenshin posted:

So I'm downloading the Development Kit.

Gonna try my hand at creating an entirely new class.

I also downloaded the SDK, but it seems quite laggy for me for some reason, I can't open very much. I am ALSO planning on making a new class, or at least a new set of abilities and weapons.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kenshin posted:

So I'm downloading the Development Kit.

Gonna try my hand at creating an entirely new class. Here's my first pass at the design document, I'm going for something that can play either very aggressively or can be powerfully defensive or an interesting mix of the two. It'll need some balance passes of course, but I think most of these powers are in-line with what's in the game already. The player would need a psi-lab unlocked, and would train Rookies into the role probably in the Guerrilla Tactics School unless I can figure out a way to make the Psi Lab allow the choice.

sword overwatch should read "two tiles of movement away", it is not implying that it should be a double-move away

Seems like a cool concept, but your first draft sounds way hella powerful and has perhaps a little too much overlap with the swordy rangers.

I feel like a lot of the sword stuff should be rethought on normal rangers though so

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So I can stop the Advent troops from all having poison rounds for a month, or stop intel costs from doubling for a month. Or stop a mystery third thing. This is a toughie.

Anybody have to deal with Advent troops having poison rounds for a month? Was it rough? Is every bullet shot at you for a month a poison attack, or does it have a small % chance etc?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yes it is. Just the Trooper's mac rounds though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Nation posted:

First month or so and i've got hidden faceless on every mission oh god

"Don't overwatch creep guys, there's no time! Also I've put hidden/burrowed enemies in retaliation missions to kill you if you don't overwatch creep." Jake :xcom: Solomon

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
faceless really are not as big a deal as people make them out to be

i mean the first one is pretty scary because your weapons kind of suck and stuff, but seriously, if you focus on controlling ground rather than touching civilians, faceless are basically a non issue in retaliation missions

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pyromancer posted:

"Don't overwatch creep guys, there's no time! Also I've put hidden/burrowed enemies in retaliation missions to kill you if you don't overwatch creep." Jake :xcom: Solomon

retaliation missions are like the one place that that the turn limit feels really oppressive. Give me like two more civilians to work with please :gonk:

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Scanners and the Stun swords basically make faceless a complete joke. I've had several rush up to my assaults, only to get smack stunned when they got close. God I love those swords.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hi all. Are laboratories useful? I'm not having that much trouble getting stuff researched on time, but I'm concerned they'll turn around and say "THIS GIANT LAB IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM, WE NEED ANOTHER LAB COMMANDER." It's my last slot in the base, just fought (midgame spoiler?) an Avatar. Otherwise, I'm putting in more resistance comms.

e: COMMANDER WE'RE LOSING CIVILIANS LEFT AND RIGHT OUT THERE

Bogart fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 8, 2016

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I lost my first campaign :smith:. I was playing individual missions very well, but got rolled by the big blue globey dick. I wasnt really able to manage the dooms day clock and it rolled over into the count down. I couldn't do any black sites once the timer started because they were connected to territories that I couldn't connect to because I was contact restricted.in order to get to a site I had to contact a territory then build a radio station inmost to contact the one with the site and just didn't have enough time. Really kinda lame. Any above for managing contacts?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bogart posted:

Hi all. Are laboratories useful? I'm not having that much trouble getting stuff researched on time, but I'm concerned they'll turn around and say "THIS GIANT LAB IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM, WE NEED ANOTHER LAB COMMANDER." It's my last slot in the base, just fought (midgame spoiler?) an Avatar. Otherwise, I'm putting in more resistance comms.

e: COMMANDER WE'RE LOSING CIVILIANS LEFT AND RIGHT OUT THERE

the tech tree is pretty shallow and simply having scientists on staff increases your research rate

i feel like the labs will become more valued later as we get a better understanding of slingshots and other meta game stuff. in my game i just passed over the gauss rifle altogether. that saves 150 supplies alone, which means that the 125 i would have spent on the lab would have been refunded with interest. any other weapons i could have potentially skipped (such as the gauss shotgun or something) would have been pure profit and a fair bit of it too. not to mention the time saved on the actual research, which might be substantial depending on the numbers involved. but that requires a lot deeper understanding of the meta game than any of us really have at the moment, so for right now they're not very important at all.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 8, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I keep forgetting the kind and of aliens my scanners tell me are in the mission while preparing, and don't bring good bullets against them. :(

In other news, plasma grenades are basically cheating. 3 grenadiers can flatten any group of enemies in a single turn, and a single one can leave them completely at the mercy of my Serial Concealment Ranger :getin:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is there a mod thread yet?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

what the hell do you need to research plasma grenades anyway

i'm in june and still using frags, it's bogus

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think in the future I'm going to start my Sharpshooters as Gunslingers and respec them to full Sniper (or drat close) as the game goes on. Gunslinger antics are well and good in the early to mid, but eventually the pistol just doesn't keep up and Kill Zone/High Ground contributes far more.

Coolguye posted:

what the hell do you need to research plasma grenades anyway

i'm in june and still using frags, it's bogus

Muton Autopsy. The flavor text for the autopsy hints at it pretty hard.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Today I met the new chryssalids, and the one time I didn't bring a medkit on a mission is the one time I learn firsthand that they can poison you now, doing a hojillion damage and eventually turning you into something much worse than a zombie.

RIP, Cpt. Karen "Nova" Fields. You didn't even leave a body for me to bring home. :smith:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I installed a bunch of mods, including Peewie's Nordic countries.

And as it happens, one of my starting rookies is a Finn. And the game managed to check just about all possible stereotypes/tropes on him:

- Is depressed
- Looks like an IT engineer
- Is a sniper.

:allears:

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Finished my first run on veteran ironman, loved it. Feels harder then XCOM-EU on normal. Time limits are fine, the last mission is amazing, though I made it hard for myself by starting the end run before waiting for all my soldiers to heal up to full. 2 soldiers lost in the run, one in final mission and one cause he activated a pack while running upstairs to sword a sectoid.

Playing through on Commander now, expected to get owned like I do on classic in XCOM-EU, but so far halfway through May with 0 losses, just finished the first blacksite flawlessly, even waiting around to wipe out the reinforcements at the end. Early workshop is amazing btw.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Pyromancer posted:

BLARGHHHGHGHHHHHHH

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Muton Autopsy. The flavor text for the autopsy hints at it pretty hard.
ok well i've done that and i cannot build or prototype them

so i guess i'm just hosed or something

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think in the future I'm going to start my Sharpshooters as Gunslingers and respec them to full Sniper (or drat close) as the game goes on. Gunslinger antics are well and good in the early to mid, but eventually the pistol just doesn't keep up and Kill Zone/High Ground contributes far more.
I haven't found Death from Above to be very useful, to be honest. Maybe in missions without a time limit, because otherwise I usually don't have time to hang around if I want to extract everyone. Kill Zone is loving amazing, though.

Speaking of extracting, the first time I had to extract a VIP I was panicking because I didn't have any stun weapons (I was expecting an Arc Thrower equivalent somewhere). I love that they went with "no fancy gadgets, just hit them in the noggin really hard".

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Coolguye posted:

The Autopsy Notes reference unlocking a Foundry Project for it, can remember what it's called.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fat Samurai posted:

I haven't found Death from Above to be very useful, to be honest. Maybe in missions without a time limit, because otherwise I usually don't have time to hang around if I want to extract everyone. Kill Zone is loving amazing, though.

Speaking of extracting, the first time I had to extract a VIP I was panicking because I didn't have any stun weapons (I was expecting an Arc Thrower equivalent somewhere). I love that they went with "no fancy gadgets, just hit them in the noggin really hard".

Basically I found myself in positions over and over in the late game where Death From Above would be REALLY AMAZING if I'd had it. I usually set up kip somewhere ideal on the very first turn through Concealment.

Here's a helpful tip for everybody regarding high places and the exploitation thereof that isn't immediately obvious: the grapple hook on Spider Suits and Wraith Suits is a free action. It does not use any of your moves to spider man around. You alao do not need to be directly beneath the place you want to grapple to. Frequently you can grapple from one building to another.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Fat Samurai posted:

I wish I could think of a more eloquent way to say this, but Death from Above isn't useful until, suddenly and repeatedly, it is.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Fat Samurai posted:

My first VIP extract was in broad daylight in Tijuana. loving blitzed them flawlessly. Making the cartels proud. :ese: The only thing that was even close to a surprise was that I assumed the KO action would include grabbing the post-buttstroke body and was surprised when it didn't, but I also had the entire building locked down at that point, so it wasn't even a problem to just haul 'me out next turn.

I'm also totally loving broke as far as supplies and intel, which I'm concerned isn't where I should be? But hey, I've at least got access to the Blacksite for when it comes time to knock a few Avatar pegs off.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Coolguye posted:

Check proving grounds for "Advanced grenades" or something.
It's a one-time project.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Maluco Marinero posted:

The Autopsy Notes reference unlocking a Foundry Project for it, can remember what it's called.

'Plasma Grenades', appropriately enough.

Also worth noting that it's a tier upgrade which means it'll completely supplant your frags, which is nice.

EDIT: Advanced Grenades is for upgrading the experimental 'nades, I think.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fat Samurai posted:

It is useful to kill and reload at the same turn, and you're often running low on ammo and have one-shottable enemies after using killzone. You want scope and extended mag, so there's no place for autoloader until the continental bonus.
I take pretty much all skills on sniper side, with the exception of Deadeye, Lightning hands is just too good to pass up, and -25 accuracy on Deadeye is too big if you're already shooting on squad sight.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's no achievement for killing a sectopod with a sword, what the gently caress Jake?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Does Death From Above give you back an action point if you Killzone/Overwatch and then reveal? I've been leaving my snipers available so I can Lightning Hands and shoot but if I could get a kill on reveal, Lightning Hands, and pistol, that'd be... nice.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I got two psychers training in May and a -47 supply/month deficit! Everything's turning up millhouse!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wish I'd known before about tier upgrades. Made it too far along because I thought I'd have to build new guns and armor one by one. Predator Armor's a lifesaver and Gauss stuff's good too, I guess.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Elliotw2 posted:

Buy more loving soldiers then, do you only have 5 or something? They're only $25 in the recruit tab.
Seeing chat like this makes me realize my supply drops in late May should probably be bigger than $222.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That sounds perfectly normal? Did you make it to a second year or something?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pingcode posted:

'Plasma Grenades', appropriately enough.

Also worth noting that it's a tier upgrade which means it'll completely supplant your frags, which is nice.

EDIT: Advanced Grenades is for upgrading the experimental 'nades, I think.

That would make sense. Plasma Grenades are also a HUGE game changer. They dish out damage and do cover destruction like nobody's business, so if you're into scorched earth with lots of grenadiers it'll turn em into absolute monsters.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Vib Rib posted:

Seeing chat like this makes me realize my supply drops in late May should probably be bigger than $222.

Mine was like $150.

Coincidentally, I'm loving broke in mid-June after getting my Predator Armor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I haven't bought any soldiers because I'm starved for supplies. If I were to have some catastrophic mission where half my team died I'd be hosed but I'm competent and equipped enough that this won't happen. Probably.

On the other hand its june and I still haven't skull jacked an officer. Not for lack of trying, its just every time they hop out of the dropship my soldiers focus every overwatch shot on them rather than their lackies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Always get resistance comms first and expand to 3 territories as fast as you can. That'll net you a cool 300+ supply drops, you can then use these supplies to pick up an engineer at HQ every month as well as buy some for intel at the black market (or more supplies). Using engineers to get to the shielded power cores should be a priority so you can put a power plant in there and expand your network further.

Edit: Really the early game is all about building your long term gains, at least on commander. The faster you get more territories the more they will pay out in the long term. The faster you get towers up the faster they will pay themselves back. I got lucky in my second campaign and got the 33% intel discount on the black market from oceania (2 territories) so I started buying stat boosters and advanced laser sights for less than 20 intel a pop, it's glorious.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 8, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Protip: If you see Crysalids burrow into the ground and you don't want to activate them (or you do activate them and reload back to the start of the turn) you can grenade the area where they are hiding and they will take damage and pop out without charging any of your guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Heres a little protip for you XCOMMERS out there: the black market lets you buy insane amounts of supplies for very little intel. Also I know it was only on normal but

Vigilo confido, mother fuckers. The Terror from the Deep stinger after the credits was a very nice touch.