Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Cobblers posted:

Done. I always thought he posted here already, his posts don't bear the hallmarks of a shitizen in that you can read them without cringing.

Great. Please keep us posted :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Braben also keeps all his people in a single building, has a well defined plan for his release schedule, has steadily monetized his game in a manner that isn't hilariously abusive, and seems to underpromise and then overdeliver.

Meanwhile Roberts seems to set up new studios on a whim, routinely fails to maintain a schedule due to his own ineptitude, has constructed his business model around exploiting gullible idiots, and can't stop hyping his utter failure of a product.
Yeah.

Braben's financial interests are properly in alignment with the long-term life of his game and he has board of directors oversight. They are excellent check-and-balance mechanisms-- which Chris Roberts has almost always lacked. Crowdfunding creates perverse incentives for Chris to protract the development as long as backer patience will allow-- particularly if he and Sandi are feeding heavily from the trough. He has no internal governor-- neither a sense of thrift nor, seemingly, to ethical obligations to his gigantic army of financiers.

I know you already know this but others reading-- particularly casual visitors-- need to understand this. There are no checks and balances on a man notorious for overspending and overpromising and usually undermining his own potential success (to say nothing of his audiences) as a result.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

But even while constructing their preplanned excuses, they're wrong. There is no leap forward in tech. There is no innovation. CIG is failing so hard FailArmy could feature them in a year's worth of YouTube videos. "At least they tried." rear end in a top hat, they tried with someone who can only fail, and with other people's money. Chris Roberts should not have been allowed to try in the first place. He's almost custom-designed to fail at this endeavor. This is why they don't send 90-year old paraplegic men on space shuttle missions - they will die during the launch. They don't get to go on TV and say "at least we tried" - they'd be flayed alive for putting that man on the shuttle in the first place. This is no different. Admit it backers, you hosed up by trusting this used car salesman. Nobody else.

This is so very true; when CIG dies there will be nothing worthwhile selling to anybody in for the class action lawsuit. The engine is hacked together and totally unreliable, the assets are too high fidelity (tm) and generic to be of any use to anybody, and JPEGs are worthless.

If we want space-sim innovation today, look elsewhere:
- Fully Newtonian physics engine: Kerbal Space
- Massive procedural open universe: No Man's Sky and Elite
- Highly detailed spaceships: Rogue System
- Seamless ground to orbit massively multiplayer gameplay: Infinity
- Moderately deep space combat in Newtonian space: Starfighter, Inc. (whose developers have just started posting again, after 6 months of silence)

If, in ten years, somebody wants to go make Star Citizen again, they will use nothing from CIG. The new developer will go to one of the game companies mentioned above and buy the technology from them. The only contribution from CIG is encouraging consumers to be more cautious with their money.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

G0RF posted:

Yeah.

Braben's financial interests are properly in alignment with the long-term life of his game and he has board of directors oversight. They are excellent check-and-balance mechanisms-- which Chris Roberts has almost always lacked. Crowdfunding creates perverse incentives for Chris to protract the development as long as backer patience will allow-- particularly if he and Sandi are feeding heavily from the trough. He has no internal governor-- neither a sense of thrift nor, seemingly, to ethical obligations to his gigantic army of financiers.

I know you already know this but others reading-- particularly casual visitors-- need to understand this. There are no checks and balances on a man notorious for overspending and overpromising and usually undermining his own potential success (to say nothing of his audiences) as a result.

He'll also gladly throw others under the bus to hide his own shortcomings.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

They actually fixed that bit. Now, you only get a fraction of the market value of whatever is destroyed. They also fixed it so that bounties can be placed on anyone, so lots of players are feeling grief that their upstanding law-abiding, highly security-rated characters have a big red WANTED sign plastered all over their portraits. It's great.

I once put a 101k ISK bounty on some weirdo in help chat because I felt he wasn't really helpful. He had a total meltdown and even send me a EVE-mail telling me to "Go back to WoW".

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Daztek posted:

Pretty sure very deep down these people know Star Citizen is failing, they just don't want to admit it to themselves and are lashing out against everything negative

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Cobblers posted:

Done. I always thought he posted here already, his posts don't bear the hallmarks of a shitizen in that you can read them without cringing.

that avatar :eyepop:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well you only upgraded one digit of your GPU, what would you expect :confused:

Also performance in Star Citizen is primarily cash limited

you make it sound like I am disappointed in this performance. 24 fps IS WHAT MOVIES ARE FILMED AT

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Oh gently caress yes dude, that's currently just TODO on almost everything. I mean, to temper expectations a bit, this game is intended to be a playable vessel for comedy, so in that regard, lore is like the most important part.

edit: have at it

If you need some poo poo-awful voice acting and or bullshit text blocks, I'd be happy to help.

I'm good at making spaceship noises with my mouth.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tippis posted:

I have an absolutely ancient version of the Hotas X, but it's gone wonky with age and has the most hilarious mix of ghost input on some axes and uneven sensitivity on others — you never know where it will steer to. I tried an XBox controller and it seemed to work well enough but couldn't be arsed to put the hours in to be good with it.

But given that earlier description, it's definitely time to try again (or just replace the old stick with something made in the last decade). :v:

The Thrustmaster T-flight is cheap and is actually good, well worth getting if unsure, or don't want to spend a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...ds=flight+stick

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh, sorry. Yeah EightAce please give us the Full Burn deets

im surprised sandi isnt the one singing it

she should be. actor and singer!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Libluini posted:

I once put a 101k ISK bounty on some weirdo in help chat because I felt he wasn't really helpful. He had a total meltdown and even send me a EVE-mail telling me to "Go back to WoW".

Isn't that like a nickel

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Here's that scene from The Master people were talking about 10 or so pages back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw54-yDc6Jg

CR - Philip Seymour Hoffman
Derek - Christopher Evan Welch
Sandi - Amy Adams
Ben - Joaquin Phoenix

"This is something you do for a billion years or not at all"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

Yeah.

Well those "checks and balances" as you call them are what limited his earlier creations. It's actually very much a good thing that he's finally allowed to let his imagination and ambition run free without the constraints of "budgets", "deadlines" or "promises" and such

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

I was inspired

I stole your work unattributed for the solarplebian subreddit. I hope this replicates the experience of being an artist at CIG satisfactorily.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Isn't that like a nickel

It's about a third of the cheapest ship you can buy. There is ammo that costs a couple of times as much per round. So yeah.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Took weeks but finally

Elite and Braben are rad because he and his team have been making all sorts of games (including DOGS LIFE) continuously since the old days and have tons of experience that they can put towards making a spiritual successor to the old elite games while adding features that are only a DREAM in Chris Robert's mind

Even though it'll take a while to get to the really interesting stuff like character creation, walking around your ship multicrew and passenger carrying at least Frontier has built up a solid track record of implementing what they set out to do. I dropped 30 spacebucks on Horizon and am looking forward to re-living Mass Effects MAKO.

Edit: It's also incredible how CIG's failings has inspired some hilarious videos, gifs, and writing. I remember a lot of lurkers to the thread starting to become regulars, then becoming omni-posters consistently coming up with some of the most funny gags on this website around the clock.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't that like a nickel

Mega carebears see the "Wanted" sign that appears on your avatar's picture as the ultimate mark of shame. The mark of an untrustworthy griefer.

I bet he got a lot of poo poo about that bounty back in the asteroid mining belts.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Well, you could always work on birds.

I've got plenty to do on the back-end at this point. And I don't want to send you off to do a bunch of artwork when I don't have a working knowledge of how the art will fit in the game world and hook up to the necessary systems/controllers. That would mean you'd probably have to redo it (AHEM cig. AHEM AHEM cig).

PM me with the kind of stuff you're willing/able to do and we can chat.

I am a jack of all trades, master of none :shobon:

Also, I am sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9elfrrF4M

MP3: http://we.tl/9xKTV0l5Ew

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE

Monday, February 8th
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] 10 for the Developers: Episode 04 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, February 9th
- Jump Point Rerun

Wednesday, February 10th
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] Bugsmashers: Episode 18 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/
- Vault Update

Thursday, February 11th
- [1200 PST / 2000 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.18 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, February 12th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
- January Monthly Report

quote:

They said it couldn't be done. They said is SHOULDN'T be done. In today's 10 for the Developers we pair Sean Tracy and Steve Bender in what staff members are calling, "the worst idea we've ever had" and "I need the uncensored version, Jared. PLEASE."

If we survive that, there will be a new episode of Bugsmashers on Wednesday, and Thursday's Around the Verse has the triumphant return of new editions of Which Glitch.

Beyond that, the Fly Free continues through February 14th as teams around the world continue to build what will soon become Star Citizen Alpha 2.2.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Berious posted:

I stole your work unattributed for the solarplebian subreddit. I hope this replicates the experience of being an artist at CIG satisfactorily.

This is awesome!

Be careful about that logo, it's pretty similar to the source material. I'm just hoping the SC folks have a sense of humor about this deal.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Berious posted:

Mega carebears see the "Wanted" sign that appears on your avatar's picture as the ultimate mark of shame. The mark of an untrustworthy griefer.

I bet he got a lot of poo poo about that bounty back in the asteroid mining belts.

There's an interesting parallel between this and the earlier discussion on citizens trying to get back at goons by insulting LoD.

I got my nice bounty by pointing out that those EVE carebears were being very silly and that all their problems could go away if they just applied the tiniest amount of brain power. To be so dismissive of their desperate needs for more safety was (and remains) obviously such a heinous offence that they had to respond in the worst way imaginable: by branding me as wanted. The thought that anyone would not consider it a mark of dishonour was just beyond them.

When you consider how many SCers have fled there from EVE, the mentality suddenly seems a whole lot less surprising.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Daztek posted:

Also, I am sorry

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

:five:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Also, I am sorry

Holy poo poo

How did you do this?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

I looked his old EVE-mail up. Apparently he joined a NullSec-corp at some point and sits in the Kalevala Expanse nowadays. Of course looking at the map of EVE, I think his alliance may be just a bunch of renters.

The Kalevala Expanse belongs to the drone regions, one of the most worthless and boring parts of NullSec. I hope he has fun over there.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Kimsemus posted:

I remember, many moons ago, when beer believed in Star Citizen. Now we all love to hate CIG together, and it seems there are fewer and fewer white knights daily. :v:

Plenty of people here believed in Star Citizen, or at least hand fond memories of Wing Commander/Privateer. Even the description of Star Citizen sounded reasonable at first. As time progressed, it became impossible to ignore just what a mess it was becoming. The nicest thing about SomethingAwful vs Reddit is that it's much harder on SA to insulate yourself in a bubble of happy thoughts when reality is burning around you. In the end, I admitted I was wrong to be hopeful about Star Citizen, felt like an rear end for a few minutes, and then got my refund. My money is back where it belongs, and when the big crash finally happens I won't be looking for a bridge to jump off.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Even though it'll take a while to get to the really interesting stuff like character creation, walking around your ship multicrew and passenger carrying at least Frontier has built up a solid track record of implementing what they set out to do. I dropped 30 spacebucks on Horizon and am looking forward to re-living Mass Effects MAKO.

Edit: It's also incredible how CIG's failings has inspired some hilarious videos, gifs, and writing. I remember a lot of lurkers to the thread starting to become regulars, then becoming omni-posters consistently coming up with some of the most funny gags on this website around the clock.
It sounds like Character personalization and multi crew are coming over the next 6-9 months to Elite. I'm not sure what the same time period will bring for Star Citizen-- although I'm sure it will include lots of 'revamping', 'retooling', and 'redesigning'...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Dude that's so the main theme music. Holy poo poo.

I was gonna use "Oye Como Va" cause for some reason that seems perfectly dissonant. I'll still probably use it for the intro/studio animations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Holy poo poo

How did you do this?

Downloaded the Ableton Live trial with the intention to manually sample the airhorns in, but then I saw an option to create a midi track from the song's harmony, then I just grabbed an airhorn soundfont and used that as midi instrument. I'm impressed it turned out so well :allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

It sounds like Character personalization and multi crew are coming over the next 6-9 months to Elite. I'm not sure what the same time period will bring for Star Citizen-- although I'm sure it will include lots of 'revamping', 'retooling', and 'redesigning'...

Think we'll hear work on the new ship pipeline?

I sure do hope so

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

Daztek posted:

Also, I am sorry

This is a thing of beauty.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Downloaded the Ableton Live trial with the intention to manually sample the airhorns in, but then I saw an option to create a midi track from the song's harmony, then I just grabbed an airhorn soundfont and used that as midi instrument. I'm impressed it turned out so well :allears:

Yeah, that sounded way, way too good to be a simple midi conversion

technology delivers on unexpected fronts

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/317556/sad-to-report

don't stop I'm almost there.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I guess the star shitizen joystick won't be happening
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/696789360646234112

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

I really need to start dicking around with sound and video editing again, although looking at stuff like this makes me think "What's the point? Everyone else is better!"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Tippis posted:

I got my nice bounty by pointing out that those EVE carebears were being very silly and that all their problems could go away if they just applied the tiniest amount of brain power. To be so dismissive of their desperate needs for more safety was (and remains) obviously such a heinous offence that they had to respond in the worst way imaginable: by branding me as wanted. The thought that anyone would not consider it a mark of dishonour was just beyond them.

These were people that were so dumb they undocked their freighters during "Burn Jita," an event that was announced months in advance

The game's launcher even warned you about it!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I really need to start dicking around with sound and video editing again, although looking at stuff like this makes me think "What's the point? Everyone else is better!"

Hey man, this thread had me start making videos, gifs etc, you just have to believe in the parp

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6342700/#Comment_6342700

Oh boy

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
'Versebusters had the opposite effect as intended, people became more skeptical of CIG, not less. Closing comments, especially, was the major mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

padijun posted:

These were people that were so dumb they undocked their freighters during "Burn Jita," an event that was announced months in advance

The game's launcher even warned you about it!

There's a certain sort of carebear that will get really mad and undock if you tell them they shouldn't really undock. They are used to complete safety so they're doing to undock god drat it come what may. It's the cutting off your nose to spite your face theory of carebearism.

I wish I could still stomach playing EVE. Nothing else was quite like it.

• Locked thread