Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
St. Cloud makes it too easy for them to reference random stuff. Without him they generally have to work the reference into the story, which makes for a better show. It's not like they're going full Family Guy, but I think it diminishes things a bit. Anyone agree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

null posted:

St. Cloud makes it too easy for them to reference random stuff. Without him they generally have to work the reference into the story, which makes for a better show. It's not like they're going full Family Guy, but I think it diminishes things a bit. Anyone agree?

No.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not a fan of St. Cloud.

I mean, it's not like they've ever had trouble fitting in pop culture references. But with St. Cloud, it's just too much. And I've never really cared for St. Cloud. I get that Doc and Jackson had to (or wanted to, rather) give Billy and Pete an arch who was in some way as oddly pathetic as they were. Because even with all the money, St. Cloud is about as pathetic as Billy and Pete, who by all means should not be living in a small trailer in the desert at their age. But his evil superpower is that he has money and he uses it to buy collectibles. No matter how hard I try to give two shits about that, I get constipated before the first one gets near my butthole. Grunt and groan and strain as much as I may, it doesn't matter. I can't give a poo poo about this character, no matter how hard I try.

He was tolerable in Spanakopita!. He hasn't even been that in any other appearance.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I sort of know what you mean but a number of the gags seem finely in-character. The Henrietta Pussycat joke killed me, it's the perfect "crime" for a memorabilia obsessed villain and Billy's outrage about him desecrating part of our collective childhoods was a spot-on response.

edit: Unrelated, I enjoy how much the VB guys love loving with the fans' obsession with Kim

Ror fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 9, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This wasn't St. Cloud's best appearance - I dunno if he's gonna top "eat the pennies quizboy" or having his own albino to spite Billy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I also do not like St. Cloud but he really is the perfect arch for Billy and Pete. None of them really do anything besides collect memorabilia. Billy and Pete love to collect memorabilia because they want to celebrate the thing each object is from. St. Cloud loves to collect memorabilia because he's rich and he can have things no one else can. Billy and Pete clearly don't care about a villain coming in and smashing their home because even their so-called friends do that. They do care about memorabilia being defiled and that's exactly what St. Cloud does. They are so milquetoast and literally every encounter between them has been about someone collecting something.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 9, 2016

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
"Eat the pennies quizboy" was funny, and I really like Billy and White.

tarlibone posted:

I mean, it's not like they've ever had trouble fitting in pop culture references. But with St. Cloud, it's just too much.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Like in this episode, the Trainspotting references with the Pirate Captain fit in with the plot, versus the random 80s references with St. Cloud.

On another note the visuals and animation this season look really good, like other people were saying it just keeps getting better. I watched a bit of season 1 recently and they've come a long way.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

But his evil superpower is that he has money and he uses it to buy collectibles.

Yeah, but he uses/abuses the collectibles for his own purposes. Billy also wastes the money he has on collectibles, but he respects their value as relics of pop culture history. Using the Land of Make Believe puppet as a shower mitt with Billy in the room was downright diabolical. I wasn't so hot on St. Cloud at first either, but I'm starting to enjoy where they're going with him.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ror posted:

edit: Unrelated, I enjoy how much the VB guys love loving with the fans' obsession with Kim

Haha I just saw this too. Doc and Jackson seemed exasperated with the Kim thing, I wonder if it was them or someone else at their studio that put that up, I was surprised that they'd encourage people.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Holy crap, they just dropped a little side-back-story bomb on us.

Dr. Dugong, briefly the archenemy of The Monarch, had a fascination with cuttlefish. And in a classic move, his brother was also mutated, but he went evil. His brother is Chester Ong... Wide Wale!!!!! They tried to cure cancer with cuttlefish DNA.

At least there was a reason for the cuttlefish.

And holy crap, Reduca... nice punvillian.

I bet Wide Whale is going to find out who killed his brother this season, setting up a showdown between him and the Monarch. No doubt Team Venture will be involved somehow as well - perhaps on the Monarch's side, since he's being set up as an antagonist to both.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
St. Cloud is fine, but the fact that the two best things involving him ("Eat the pennies" and the rescheduling conversation in this past episode) don't have anything to do with the memorabilia angle is pretty telling.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Dr. Dugong, briefly the archenemy of The Monarch, had a fascination with cuttlefish. And in a classic move, his brother was also mutated, but he went evil. His brother is Chester Ong... Wide Wale!!!!! They tried to cure cancer with cuttlefish DNA.
I think we're going to see a redux of season 3 when Rusty's new arch took on the job partly to get back at the Monarch. Wide Wale will turn out to have kept a soft spot for his brother and is pissed at the Monarch for killing his brother.

Pick posted:

I always thought the scene of Hatred trying to help emo-Dean was nice even if he had no idea what was going on :3:.
Hatred's concern for Dean during season 5 was all kind of adorable, I agree.

Nice to see that "amateur super-heroes" are probably even more honest than we thought. Dean is setting himself up with the right kind of super-hero, it seem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think I will have to agree. The memorabilia parts seem to only exist as a way for Doc and Jackson to randomly bring up a thing from their childhood or teen years and say "Hey, remember this? Wasn't this cool?" The problem is that Doc and Jackson are 15-20 years older than I am. I'm not going to get any of their references. When the show first came out in 2003, they could get away with referencing the 80s because typically you can reference things in TV shows back to 20 years or so. That 20 years ago is now 30 years ago. For many people who started watching the show in the beginning (myself included) even then 20 years ago was too far away because the target demographic would have been teens to 20 somethings. I'm glad they've started actually naming the things they reference, but a lot of it falls flat for me. Sometimes the characters turn into self-insertion schlock where characters love absolutely everything the creators love.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I still trying to figure out how Wide Wale is a top tier villain with only 40 henchman, 4 personal guards and a barnacle encrusted valet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LostRook posted:

I still trying to figure out how Wide Wale is a top tier villain with only 40 henchman, 4 personal guards and a barnacle encrusted valet.

You know, given his favorite fabric, it's a shame his henchmen aren't the Corps de Roi.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
After people explained Wide Wale it made me think of voile from Escape to the House of Mummies part II. These guys know their fabrics.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Billy and Pete being just as annoyed and exhausted with St.Cloud's villain routine while he had them tied up is why I like St. Cloud.

He is a good antithesis to Billy and Pete. They seem genuinely honest and earnest about their abilities and their obsessions, but its all hollow pop culture nonsense. It was made all the more clear at the end of the episode in that great breakdown by Billy, with the great Wu-tang callout. Its "important" but mostly to them. While other villains have mutations or honest hatred, St. Cloud is basically a rich and bored rear end in a top hat, equally obsessed with collectibles but only so that he can own them or say he "knows them". The Ray Harryhausen bit is still one of my favorite things this show has ever done.

If anything, he's perfect for them.

The Redusa and "Oh I get the name now" was classic.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Using the Land of Make Believe puppet as a shower mitt with Billy in the room was downright diabolical.

It bothered me because it didn't look like the original, which is safely ensconced in the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I think I will have to agree. The memorabilia parts seem to only exist as a way for Doc and Jackson to randomly bring up a thing from their childhood or teen years and say "Hey, remember this? Wasn't this cool?" The problem is that Doc and Jackson are 15-20 years older than I am. I'm not going to get any of their references. When the show first came out in 2003, they could get away with referencing the 80s because typically you can reference things in TV shows back to 20 years or so. That 20 years ago is now 30 years ago. For many people who started watching the show in the beginning (myself included) even then 20 years ago was too far away because the target demographic would have been teens to 20 somethings. I'm glad they've started actually naming the things they reference, but a lot of it falls flat for me. Sometimes the characters turn into self-insertion schlock where characters love absolutely everything the creators love.

It's extremely obvious that Doc and Jackson are about my age. I'd never gotten around to seeing Trainspotting, and I wasn't the sort to be into Duran Duran when they were being played on MTV every 15 minutes. But my wife was screaming and pointing at the screen enough for both of us. I"m guessing that's a taste of what it must be like for someone half my age to be watching the show. Or, anyone not from Texas watching King of the Hill.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Thirlwell did a great job of making music that implies Born Slippy without actually being Born Slippy for the scene, too. Though I also caught a bit of Dark Train (from the same album) in there too.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
So I come home from work and get on Amazon prime to watch last nights show, and when that cave part popped up I have to admit, I got super excited my theory looked to be proven right!

RandallODim posted:

That was a very good episode, and also holy poo poo congratulations whoever said Monarch was gonna take up his dad's mantle to kill his way to Rusty; you're officially way too into this show.

Gary's exasperation during the meeting was the best.

It's not that I am way to into the show, other people pointed out how much Monarch looked like Rusty when he was dressed like the Statue of Liberty and the whole thing of his parents having been millionairs living in a mansion and in this universe I figured it would be most likely that either his dad was a costumed hero, or maybe a costumed villain!

Now if Monarch's dad was in fact a villain maybe he arched Venture Sr, and when Monarch takes over his dad's persona maybe her gets some kind of grandfathered "2nd gen villain arches 2nd gen hero" thing... but he kills a bunch of villains before he finds that out.

Then again I like the idea of Monarch somehow liking being a costumed hero, somehow out staging Venture in the papers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

You know, given his favorite fabric, it's a shame his henchmen aren't the Corps de Roi.

If Doc and/or Jackson see this post, I bet they'll go all George Lucas on this episode.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What music video do I need to watch to get the cave reference?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Consummate Professional posted:

What music video do I need to watch to get the cave reference?

That's the batcave yo

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

fishmech posted:

That's the batcave yo

Ok then the Duran Duran weird block thing that was going on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Yeah, but he uses/abuses the collectibles for his own purposes. Billy also wastes the money he has on collectibles, but he respects their value as relics of pop culture history. Using the Land of Make Believe puppet as a shower mitt with Billy in the room was downright diabolical. I wasn't so hot on St. Cloud at first either, but I'm starting to enjoy where they're going with him.

By this logic, St. Cloud is a great villain, because he clearly doesn't give a poo poo about anything he collects - once it's his it might as well just be invisible. He let the Guild practically take whatever they wanted when he joined (or let them steal, before we get into THAT loving argument again). He's either just as pathetic as Billy and White, and/or he's willing to levy his massive (and I'd assume, self-sustaining) fortune to do nothing but troll the both of them by acquiring the things they love most and desecrating them. He also seems to always find a way to make a profit from his superfluous purchases, too. :10bux: says the Greek island was sitting on a giant unknown oil reserve or something.

Also, since we're blindly speculating here...if Monarch's dad had a Batcave, I really do wonder if it'll end up that Jonas Sr. was his era's Lex Luthor (I mean, the man left a bunch of orphans to MUTHER's whims), and Monarch's dad was trying to bring him down (under an alter ego), got discovered, was murdered along with his wife in the plane crash, and the reason the Monarch doesn't know why he hates Venture so much is because his mind was wiped with unreliable 60s-era technology. So he hates Venture - yet doesn't know why.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 9, 2016

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Cojawfee posted:

It's not like those things they are referencing have gone away. Hell, with YouTube being around, stuff like Mr Rogers and old 80's music videos are incredibly accessible.

The majority of bands I seem to be hearing about nowadays seem to be formed by 19 year olds who appear to have heard nothing but 80's music. A lot of hip hop production does too.

Let's also not forget that the music video they were referencing was made by a band that literally had a US Top 10 hit in 2015.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Please Please Tell me Now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really liked a lot of the episode, but yeah the whole Duran Duran thing went way over my head. It was too specific and took up too much time. I'd rather St. Cloud kidnapped Robobo and ransomed him for the company. Then we'd still have Robobo!

RIP :smith:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0hogZyRyU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't get any of it till the rap part

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tarlibone posted:

I hate that you tell me this stuff.

I loved the way Monarch wrung his hands when he "complained" to 21 that there was no way he could last more than a few minutes if she was wearing the cheerleader outfit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LostRook posted:

1. He's in New York.
2. He's rich.
3. Monarch upped his tier just by having sex with his wife, a top Guild official.

It's likely not that hard to move up.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Wide Wale is Dr. Dugong's brother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WAR FOOT posted:

But is he, by his nature, a hedonist? :ohdear:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Well, he does have a ball pit in his house.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

Yeah, that was a major point in the episode.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I never saw the Duran Duran video referenced in the episode. I considered the Billy and White subplot to be reminiscent of House of Mummies, an unexplained (with good reason) predicament with wild scenery and crazy costumes. This happens in the Venture Bros! Just enjoy, let it slide, and watch the Duran Duran video later!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I feel like I am supposed to get the "when was the last time you went to the zoo" thing, but I don't. What is that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

I feel like I am supposed to get the "when was the last time you went to the zoo" thing, but I don't. What is that about?

The polar bear they put in Wide Wale's place was from the zoo that the pirate was at.