Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

I feel like I am supposed to get the "when was the last time you went to the zoo" thing, but I don't. What is that about?

Post credits prank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FamDav posted:

Post credits prank

I know that. I figured it had to be a reference to some movie where a character wistfully says "when was the last time you went to the zoo?". It was delivered more like an ironic quote than a query.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red posted:

I don't know that I found this episode funny, but I did find it to be really intriguing.

- I think it's becoming clear that Brock is actually a terrible bodyguard. He's ordered to carry a sidearm, but it's not loaded.

uhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cGBottEW8

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to say, when has Brock used a gun? He used cross bows, but we all know Brock does not use firearms.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

Slo-Tek posted:

I know that. I figured it had to be a reference to some movie where a character wistfully says "when was the last time you went to the zoo?". It was delivered more like an ironic quote than a query.

It was more a setup than anything. Not every line of this show is a reference, though if you look through the history of media you'd be sure to find a similar setup to which you could attribute this line.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am amazed for once Billy did not ask for a high five with the grapping hook hand thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yet all I could think of was "IT'S THE POLAR BEAR FROM LOST!!!!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Medullah posted:

I'm just going to pretend that its the same bear from now on.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just realized that thanks to a generous donation to the estate Steve McQueen, Hank has a speed-suit of his own.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Medullah posted:

And now I'm remembering that The Monarch has a full back minotaur tattoo.

"LISTEN, AND LISTEN WELL! THE ROAD BEFORE YOU IS BESET WITH MANY PERILS! EVERY TURN YOU MAKE WILL BRING YOU CLOSER TO THE COLD WAITING HANDS OF SISTER FATE! FEAR ME THESEUS! FOR I AM THE MIGHTY MIN-O-TAUR! THIS COCOON HAS WITNESSED YOUR SINS AND SHE SEEKS VENGEANCE! THE COCOON WILL PUNISH THE WICKED! THE COCOON WILL REWARD THE RIGHTEOUS! YOU MUST ESCAPE FROM HER GRASP! YOU MUST EARN YOUR FREEDOM! HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO LIVE!"

God I love that scene.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Pretty sure he just had henchmen do it up with greasepaint, didn't it start running?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So is the Monarch's father going to turn out to be a riff on the Green Hornet or something like that? Except blue. Blue Hornet or some other butterfly murdering insect? The similarities in the costume cant be a co-incidence.

And thece the Monarch takes up the mantle of the Blue "Hornet" and 21 becomes the more murderous sidekick "Kato"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slo-Tek posted:

It really brought to mind, for me, Magnum PIs (and Archers) "Did you see the sun rise?" It had that same almost whimsical tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLjzosQk8M&t=79s

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Jerusalem posted:

But is he, by his nature, a hedonist? :ohdear:

I... I have cuttlefish...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
poo poo, Wide Whale's primary motivation for arching Venture is probably to spite the Monarch.

After all, the Monarch murdered his brother.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I love the weird stuff Doc interjects into the episode. Like the part where they discuss how it was like that documentary, "The Man whose arms exploded" and how it was the most awful thing ever filmed. Something like that outta left field just makes this show the awesome poo poo it is.

Also, don't watch that documentary. Might literally be one of the most awful things ever filmed.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

DoctorWhat posted:

poo poo, Wide Whale's primary motivation for arching Venture is probably to spite the Monarch.

After all, the Monarch murdered his brother.

I think he was one of the bit characters you just absolutely feel terrible for--he just wanted to teach the world about love and aquatic mammals :(

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 9, 2016

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Servaetes posted:

I think he was one of the bit characters you just absolutely feel terrible for--he just wanted to teach the world about love and aquatic mammals :(

Instead we seek it in the hot stem of a crack pipe.

Man, there is some great insane dialogue in that scene.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
At the risk of over-explaining things but who knows, someone might not know:

elentar posted:

the "CPR" on Night Dick's bike apparently stands for Crimefighting-Punishment-Revenge
About twenty years ago (after whatever the latest "NYPD shoots some dude 28 times for reaching for his wallet/sodomizes a suspect in custody with a plunger" scandal was) the police started putting CPR on the side of their vehicles:

I don't know if Night Dick is outing himself as the alter ego of a police officer or just contrasting his methods with the police's.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

hank shops at "markup and spender"
This was a reference to Marks & Spencer, a big fancy (mostly UK) department store. Having a Dad who worked in retail sourcing, it seemed like most of the fancy department stores had goofy puns about how pricey they were (Neiman Marcus/Needless Markup), and Markup/Spender is no exception. In fact, the Simpsons made the same joke a couple of years ago. This made me go back and check, but Renton had generic store bags.

Also I don't know if Monarch-Dad's character needs to be a Green Hornet joke, though that would make sense. All the screencaps conspiracy-minded people put together earlier reminded me of The Spirit as much as anything.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
What I loved is how Rusty, when trying to rally his impromptu board of directors around his vision of speculative engineering, is talking about stuff that's straight out of jet-age futurist buffoonery. Seriously, take a gander of his vision of the future, and tell me that it doesn't sound like what someone from the 1960s might think was the way of the future:

"Jet-powered automated trains! Conveyer belts on the streets. Plug-in replaceable kidneys!!"

He even makes the one thing in that short list that isn't a common example of the quaintly retro-futuristic--artificial organs--sound like something his dad might exclaim to the engineers at Venture Industries in 1967.

And, I mean, it's not like poor Rusty doesn't have a point. The Venture name was built on superscience, and not so much on consumer goods. But he's incapable of even speculating about things in a mindset that's not trapped 30-40 years in the past.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Edge & Christian posted:

At the risk of over-explaining things but who knows, someone might not know:
About twenty years ago (after whatever the latest "NYPD shoots some dude 28 times for reaching for his wallet/sodomizes a suspect in custody with a plunger" scandal was) the police started putting CPR on the side of their vehicles:

The victims were Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't know if Night Dick is outing himself

Wouldn't be the first time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

tarlibone posted:

Conveyer belts on the streets.

Paris actually did this in 1900.

Some bloke even made a short film about it:

https://vimeo.com/71431855

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Pope Guilty posted:

The victims were Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima.
They are, and those were both horrible and actual incidents, though both happened after the institution of the CPR motto in 1996, it was already a bitter joke (the courtesy/professionalism/respect thing) by then. I probably should have actually looked up what atrocity/PR nightmare inspired Guiliani and co to institute CPR but here we are.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a deeper pun in Dot Comm's name/apperance, or does it stop at Tron Lady with Internet Name?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

X_Toad posted:

I think we're going to see a redux of season 3 when Rusty's new arch took on the job partly to get back at the Monarch. Wide Wale will turn out to have kept a soft spot for his brother and is pissed at the Monarch for killing his brother.

Hatred's concern for Dean during season 5 was all kind of adorable, I agree.

Nice to see that "amateur super-heroes" are probably even more honest than we thought. Dean is setting himself up with the right kind of super-hero, it seem.

Hank is already like, halfway to being Batman by virtue of being filthy rich.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Edge & Christian posted:

Also I don't know if Monarch-Dad's character needs to be a Green Hornet joke, though that would make sense. All the screencaps conspiracy-minded people put together earlier reminded me of The Spirit as much as anything.

The mask is more like Green Hornet that The Spirit.

The thing so far this series I am enjoying is the distinct impression that the Monarch / Ventures / Hatred are not heading for failure. Dean basically telling his father how to turn their fortunes around, Hatred being competent, Monarch clearly about to go on a villain murder spree.... love it. I hope they continue to succeed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The thing so far this series I am enjoying is the distinct impression that the Monarch / Ventures / Hatred are not heading for failure. Dean basically telling his father how to turn their fortunes around, Hatred being competent, Monarch clearly about to go on a villain murder spree.... love it. I hope they continue to succeed.

Seriously, if this show might be coming to an end in the next few years I'd rather it'd end in a minor note of some form of triumph too.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ror posted:

The Henrietta Pussycat joke killed me, it's the perfect "crime" for a memorabilia obsessed villain and Billy's outrage about him desecrating part of our collective childhoods was a spot-on response.
Part of the reason why the seasons take so long to complete has to be instances of not being able to get out of character. If I were Jackson, I could "do" St. Cloud for weeks.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Monarch is definitely being set up for failure in my opinion, just not in the "obvious" area of super-villainy. Mrs Monarch getting to do what she wants rather than help The Monarch achieve his goals has pushed his selfishness to the n-th degree. He's not supportive at all of her and does stuff behind her back which could endanger her and the new guild. If he goes on a killing spree on her "constituents" and she finds out about it, I'm not sure their relationship will survive it, no matter how guilty she seems to feel about leaving him a bit behind and giving Venture to Wide Wale.

But yeah, Rusty is lucky one of his sons has some common sense and is apparently interested in making JJ's legacy (seriously, I feel like Dean has an interest in JJ's legacy that he never had in Jonas and Rusty's legacy) endure.

Speaking of JJ, is anyone else a bit surprised by the characterization they seem to have going for him, as someone who focused on consumer goods rather than super-science? The man almost completed a teleporter and built a gigantic space station, clearly he was interested in higher concepts and grand projects!

As for Hatred, yeah, they found a nice spot for him : with Rusty entering the big leagues and getting a slew of new, powerful enemies, Brock is a tad out of his comfort zone and Hatred can definitely helps him with his intelligence on the guild and its villains.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SeanBeansShako posted:

Even better.

I wonder if he knows The Monarch iced his brother in a fit of rage too?

Also, I thought I'd never see a Red Dwarf reference on Venture Bros. This is the thing that always cracks Brock up.

I don't think it was a deliberate Red Dwarf reference. Upside down chins with googly-eyes is a generic thing. But yeah I thought of that scene too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So is the Monarch's father going to turn out to be a riff on the Green Hornet or something like that? Except blue. Blue Hornet or some other butterfly murdering insect? The similarities in the costume cant be a co-incidence.

And thece the Monarch takes up the mantle of the Blue "Hornet" and 21 becomes the more murderous sidekick "Kato"?

Possibilities:

- Blue Vespa (Genus name of the Hornet), who rides a vespa
- Blue WASP, well to do supervillain

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

Plug-in replaceable kidneys!!"

You mean like the time he used HELPR as a mobile dialysis machine? :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Speaking of JJ, is anyone else a bit surprised by the characterization they seem to have going for him, as someone who focused on consumer goods rather than super-science? The man almost completed a teleporter and built a gigantic space station, clearly he was interested in higher concepts and grand projects!
I think it's more of that super science was a hobby for JJ rather than a career and the consumer goods side was financing it. He basically took the practical view rather than Rusty's optimistic view.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I don't think it was a deliberate Red Dwarf reference. Upside down chins with googly-eyes is a generic thing. But yeah I thought of that scene too.

I've never really seen it outside Red Dwarf or people aping it. But yeah I don't think it is a direct reference but still something neat to show off.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've never really seen it outside Red Dwarf or people aping it. But yeah I don't think it is a direct reference but still something neat to show off.

I guess you never experenced the horror that was the Nickelodeon show "Weinerville"

BooDoug187 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 9, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BooDoug187 posted:

I guess you never experenced the horror that was the Nickelodeon show "Winnervile"

Nope, and by the name I will not see it either.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X_Toad posted:

seriously, I feel like Dean has an interest in JJ's legacy that he never had in Jonas and Rusty's legacy

That's why Hank and Dean look like fraternal twins, Hank is Rusty's sperm and Dean is JJ's.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

You know, given his favorite fabric, it's a shame his henchmen aren't the Corps de Roi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I love the weird stuff Doc interjects into the episode. Like the part where they discuss how it was like that documentary, "The Man whose arms exploded" and how it was the most awful thing ever filmed. Something like that outta left field just makes this show the awesome poo poo it is.

"Remember Tool Academy?" It's just reference humor...but it's good reference humor. Somehow.