Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

it's a mouse, there's nowhere else to put it in that cramped cockpit! that's fidelity for ya!

Well your drawing skills are 10k times better than mine, but that sure an odd shaped mouse...

Possibly NWS http://i.imgur.com/jomfLP8.png

edit: not sure this is considered WS...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Hopper posted:

Well your drawing skills are 10k times better than mine, but that sure an odd shaped mouse...

Are… are the Gun'Dul Dolphins? Or rather… Dowlfins?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gilganixon posted:

it's a mouse, there's nowhere else to put it in that cramped cockpit! that's fidelity for ya!

Looks more like a joystick to me

:wink:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hopper posted:

ahahah i didn't spot that

it's meant to be a hand i swear

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

its so funny that this game is clearly in development hell, an absolute abomination and destined to go the way of colonial marines or duke numem forever or at best devils third, and the fanbase is talking about rivalling minecraft for copies sold.

the community really is the unique thing about the game and not in a good way at all ha ha haaaa

The Colonial Marines comparison is especially apt. That game had so much loving potential and they just shat it all away, and the worst part is that it was actually a fun game! The campaign was loving dumb as poo poo but with 4 player co-op it was hilariously fun to get drunk and blast through, and a couple patches in the multiplayer was really loving good (right before everybody stopped playing). Colonial Marines could have been really good if Gearbox hadn't acted like friggin scumbags.

Star Colonial Citizen Marine

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Update on my chargeback: the bank has issued it provisionally, but they've sent me a letter requesting a more complete summary of the reasons why I think one is deserved in this case. Anyone want to help me out with some convenient summaries? I'm trying to build a case that they basically sold me a package of digital goods, failed to deliver on 75% of it (and what they did deliver was completely broken from any objective standard) and then changed their own terms to attempt to deny the refund. To that end I'm looking for links specifically related to:

1) Changing the terms of service regarding refunds when it became apparent they weren't going to hit their deadlines
2) Denying refunds on the basis of "Game completion" (I will put this alongside some of the recent videos that should demonstrate how transparently false this is)
3) Evidence of refunds being issued just a few months ago and evidence of refund denial now due to the whole "14 days" thing despite that not being anywhere in their terms.
4) Evidence that they now intend to drop major sections of the game despite having sold them previously- statements like them disregarding Star Marine, among other things.
5) Some links to articles about the shaky nature of the game- I'll use the Escapist for sure, but if there are others it'd be helpful.
6) I'll also throw in my own correspondence with them where they tried to claim that chargebacks are fraudulent in cases like this.

Help me compile this and I'll make a big form letter that can be copy-pasted for future chargeback disputes.

I will be happy to help with this.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Gilganixon posted:

E: you lose the computergamesman title at pigeon level because at that point you're not here to game, you're all about Immersion (and to some extent, fidelity)
I'm not a native speaker, but isn't "fidelity" the English word for being faithful to your spouse?
The word seems to be used in SC matters to mean verisimilitude.
Which is so prized, that spouses are being kept in the dark on the cost of it...

And immersion, well, to immerse myself I go to the beach to swim.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Make the Star Plebian player model Derek Smart and its the only one you need

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This Mad Catz thing is hilarious.

SC really is a soap opera for spergs.

It's a sperg opera.

As predicted in my blog (I don't have a blog).

When this dumb HOTAS was announced it was pointed out that not only was it butt ugly, overpriced and of questionable functionality but MadCatz were in an extremely fragile position, having said some time ago that their future success depended on sales of Rock Band 4 peripherals.

At least no one had paid MadCatz for this in advance.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Beexoffel posted:

I'm not a native speaker, but isn't "fidelity" the English word for being faithful to your spouse?
The word seems to be used in SC matters to mean verisimilitude.
Which is so prized, that spouses are being kept in the dark on the cost of it...

And immersion, well, to immerse myself I go to the beach to swim.

yeah it means that but it also means being true to something in general (as in high-fidelity audio)

It's not a word that gets a lot of use so seeing it used so regularly in the SC community gives me a weird feeling. Also I don't know what they're referring to with "fidelity" because space dogfighting isn't actually a thing that exists.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beexoffel posted:

Sandi is the spouse. When Chris says "fidelity" he means "launching my wife into Hollywood"

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Nice try with the reverse psychology attempt, but an idiot can see this is just your twisted and manipulative way of shilling SC and that you are just an alt of Croberts.

Wrong actually. I'm Sandi. SO HA! Eat it schmuck.
:gary:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Hey so Amazon released their own free engine. it's based on cryengine.

http://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

ahahah i didn't spot that

it's meant to be a hand i swear

S'all good, I am all for honest depiction of space spergs in their gaming rooms habitat showcasing natural behaviour

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gilganixon posted:

yeah it means that but it also means being true to something in general (as in high-fidelity audio)

It's not a word that gets a lot of use so seeing it used so regularly in the SC community gives me a weird feeling. Also I don't know what they're referring to with "fidelity" because space dogfighting isn't actually a thing that exists.

They should really be saying verisimilitude.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I tried saying that once, but swallowed my tongue after the "m".

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

SelenicMartian posted:

Sandi is the spouse. When Chris says "fidelity" he means "launching my wife into Hollywood"

A trebuchet would have been cheaper.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's too complex a word for the average shitizen to spell, pronounce or comprehend. Simple and vague concepts are how you use dreams to sell jpegs. Like spam emails which are badly written on purpose to filter the most stupid and naive.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Iridium posted:

A Cryengine derived product with Amazon and ex-Valve and Crytek people behind it? Doesn't sound like it'll measure up to the magnificence of Star Engine.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Iridium posted:

Are we going to see a Facebook game engine soon? Maybe a Google game engine? Why do these companies that have never had anything to do with gaming or gaming development before think they can just throw their money at it and be successful? I mean for fucks sake they chose to build it off of CryEngine, that's evidence enough they're a gaggle of morons.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apocadall posted:

Are we going to see a Facebook game engine soon? Maybe a Google game engine? Why do these companies that have never had anything to do with gaming or gaming development before think they can just throw their money at it and be successful? I mean for fucks sake they chose to build it off of CryEngine, that's evidence enough they're a gaggle of morons.

Actually Amazon have been doing game development/design for themselves and with indie devs for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com#Amazon_Games

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I just had a great shower. I know it was great, because I had two new awesome ideas for Solar Plebian.

Idea #1 is a weapon.

Let me introduce the D3RK Smartbomb. It's the final word in any altercation, because it lets you loving finish.

Idea #2 is a planet.

Planet Awful. It's name betrays it's true nature as the most popular destination in the 'universe, due to it's low tax, and no voting system.

Folks are more than welcome to fluff these out and run with them.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Actually Amazon have been doing game development/design for themselves and with indie devs for years.

Did they announce anyone working on a game yet? Who did they buy awhile back and do they have *competitive* multiplayer chops? Pretty obvious play there with AWS/Twitch.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll make a space game as well. We can weld them together seamlessly in a couple of years.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

imagine being genuinely touched watching that Gary Oldman speech holy gently caress.

I touch myself during it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Proposed Solar Plebian alien race:

A race of Space Harpies called the Sanduul. They hail from a forest planet called The SanduulWood.

Ship: Limited Edition Sporsche
Abilities: Sonic shriek which disables craft electronics
Hates: Female Pilots; will go out of their way to attack them at all costs
Weakness: Space News Van; will stop and preen if the news van camera is pointed their way

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

A race of Space Harpies called the Sanduul. They hail from a forest planet called The SanduulWood.

Weakness: Space News Van; will stop and preen if the news van camera is pointed their way

Yeah but all the players will just set their pube sliders to Unshorn and then they won't be a threat. It's a total trap mechanic.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Scruffpuff posted:

concept art for the Sporche.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Programmer Humor posted:

I'll make a space game as well. We can weld them together seamlessly in a couple of years.

really cool idea

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Gilganixon posted:

It's not a word that gets a lot of use so seeing it used so regularly in the SC community gives me a weird feeling.
To me it comes across as the re-defined words like how managers do when they can't properly describe their thoughts, or want to create a word-illusion so everyone thinks they understand each other and he can do what he wants. Providing the symbols of thought so people don't use their own thinking.

SelenicMartian posted:

Hehehe.

alphabettitouretti posted:

That's too complex a word for the average shitizen to spell, pronounce or comprehend. Simple and vague concepts are how you use dreams to sell jpegs. Like spam emails which are badly written on purpose to filter the most stupid and naive.
Conjuring up the dream through replacing meaningful terms by vague terms that can mean anything that suits CIG.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah but all the players will just set their pube sliders to Unshorn and then they won't be a threat. It's a total trap mechanic.

drat, and here I thought I found a reason to have news van coverage that fit with the game mechanics...

Even with a parody our collaborative efforts are better than CIGs.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Will Solar Plebeian have female characters? :ohdear:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Skellybones posted:

Yes but it's literally just the Derek Smart model with two round orbs as chest level

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

female women?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Berious posted:

Yes but it's literally just the Derek Smart model with two round orbs as chest level

:jackbud:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But will it have magical girls?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Scruffpuff posted:

drat, and here I thought I found a reason to have news van coverage that fit with the game mechanics...

Even with a parody our collaborative efforts are better than CIGs.

I seem to recall reading a news article a few years back that North Korean TV programs would actually film people with "improper haircuts" and shame them on national TV also by publishing their names and addresses.

So clearly the news van in this should be covering coverage.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

StarbloodKiss posted:

I think this will happen too, to be honest.

Joking aside I really think this will happen. having met some of these guys a homicide is not out of the realms of possibility

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Unfunny Poster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com#Amazon_Games

Mostly mobile by the looks but at least they have some experience, so maybe not all bad? Maybe they tore out enough of the standard CryEngine that it'll work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

EightAce posted:

Joking aside I really think this will happen. having met some of these guys a homicide is not out of the realms of possibility

It's not like it would be the first time.

Stay safe EightAce.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2173075/Man-stabs-neighbour-argument-World-Of-Warcraft-DID-say-just-game.html

(Sorry for Daily Mail.)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 9, 2016

• Locked thread