Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Don't use millers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Millers are fine. Don't use cops.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

What if I use millers as normal, but replace the cop with a watcher/tracker duo?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i feel like at that point they're just vt, no?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Tremendous Taste posted:

i feel like at that point they're just vt, no?
in an open setup, maybe

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Death millers are bad and dumb because flips should be the actual truth.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Millers are cool and good, death millers are awful.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Actually, now that I think about it, death millers could work in an open setup game.

One death miller for each vanilla scum.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Yeah i used death miller and reverse death miller in a game once. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I played clarinet and alto clarinet in school, gave up going into college because I didn't give a gently caress about tryouts or matching band or being a pretentious jackass like the other music majors I knew. Now I play guitar and drums and sing and should learn to play this massive keyboard I have but I rarely have two brain cells to rub together to think about it. I want a Bass VI, but it'd probably be more reasonable for me to just get a POG2 to play bass-like things for the time being.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I did angame with Death Millers and Reverse Death Millers once. Opop played it and now he's never leaving. I'll leave it up to the community to decide.

Clearly positive. I had a mechanic to fix flips though. Death millers and reverses are fine if you balance for it. Assume it's like a no flip game then add a little bit more pro town balance.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
did mmm and carpet shark died??

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
millers own, they are practically confirmed town with how often anyone claims miller as scum here

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

JakeP posted:

millers own, they are practically confirmed town with how often anyone claims miller as scum here

Which is why I figured having an open setup and confirming a death miller for every vanilla scum would make things :angel: interesting :angel:.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I played the tenor horn while I was in school. I have no idea why I chose to learn such a lovely instrument beyond some nebulous fascination with its size (which just made it a hassle to lug into school once a week). My parents made me practice for 20 minutes every day which I hated until they started paying me £2 for each practice. They would put the money aside into a piggy bank which was then used to pay for things like school trips. After this point I tolerated practice. After I passed my grade 5 exam I couldn't be hosed to try the theory exam you need to pass before you can take more advanced grades. In the end I just bought music books of popular songs like James Bond themes and classic 90s pop and just played that instead. All in all I found the whole thing a complete waste of time, ditched it as soon as I finished school and have never thought about it since. Maybe the joy of playing music just decided to skip me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Death millers are terrible and ruin games just by their existence.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

I played clarinet and alto clarinet in school, gave up going into college because I didn't give a gently caress about tryouts or matching band or being a pretentious jackass like the other music majors I knew. Now I play guitar and drums and sing and should learn to play this massive keyboard I have but I rarely have two brain cells to rub together to think about it. I want a Bass VI, but it'd probably be more reasonable for me to just get a POG2 to play bass-like things for the time being.

My dad's a musician by hobby, generally playing guitar, so he had us take piano for about seven years. I never cared much for it but I appreciate having learned some theory. I dropped it in middle school and did about a year of basic drumming and latin percussion. After which I stopped playing music until about a year ago when I bought a bass, since that's always been my favorite instrument. I don't use my book as much as I should (because I don't make time for it) but I'm still playing at least a half an hour a day through Rocksmith, which is a genuinely fun tool, and it's really improved my dexterity on the fret-board. I'll probably work the book into my schedule one of these days, but boy oh boy how I hate practicing scales. Still the bass is a wonderful instrument and I'm a bit upset my ear is too lovely to allow me really play a fretless upright bass, because I think those are so so cool.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Oh no this doesn't look good mafia team!! 4 of u can now no longer shoot!

Luckily ANarc doesn't need bullets to stab things! go stab things ANarc!

Oh :(

you are my first death ANarc, well done. you got shot good so i wrote u an epitaph.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I tracked down the Spaniard that killed my family, stole his priceless ancient artefact then everyone who ever loved me showed up to recognise me being such a rad dude and Machiavelli told me I could be part of the cool kids club now :unsmith:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this x-com game is kind of boring so far. im playing on classic. im gonna turn on ironmans mode

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Quidnose posted:

Does anyone play any instruments in our community?
Drums, scratching and I 5-starred Through The Fire and Flames on Expert

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
YOU WANT MY CHILDREN? TAKE THEM! I HAVE THE INSTRUMENT TO MAKE MORE!! :black101:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Still coughing blood. Flying out tomorrow night and seeing another doctor as soon as I get home.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've played the violin for 20 years now and have been singing for 8. I don't have a music degree though and hated music theory

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm glad to see that an overly forced discussion of actual Mafia lasted all of half of a page. :tipshat:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

Mafia thread, I'm looking at designing a setup and I want to include millers and maybe a death miller.

What's the best way to do this? Should I tell them that they're millers/death millers? Should I give them some sort of power to balance things out?

Millers are hugely unbalancing in favor of scum. a death miller is for all intents and purposes game breaking.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alternating day death millers, however, are funny. Like if they die on odd nights, they flip town, if they die on even nights, they flip scum. They always investigate town.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Put millers in a game with no cops.

Kashuno posted:

Millers are hugely unbalancing in favor of scum. a death miller is for all intents and purposes game breaking.

Has anyone ever done a delayed death miller? As in, they flip as scum but the next day they are revealed as a townie?

Might work better as a OPG scum ability.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I put a miller in a game where the only cop was a 1-shot item given out by an inventor. That was p. cool.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I put 3 millers in a game with 0 cop

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

PBS Newshour posted:

did mmm and carpet shark died??

Yes, car crash

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

Put millers in a game with no cops.

Has anyone ever done a delayed death miller? As in, they flip as scum but the next day they are revealed as a townie?

Might work better as a OPG scum ability.

The answer to this must be yes, but I can't recall am example.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I can recall someone flipping town then flipping scum later but never the other way around.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MG2 posted:

Yes, car crash

oh no

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
In my second game ever (TheState's Fallout Mafia) I was Scum and tried to argue that the guy who was lynched and flipped Town "was probably a reverse death miller" who was actually Scum despite what the flip said. Nobody bought it. Back then games had more "anything is possible" crazy roles, or at least I naiively thought so, but I don't think "reverse deathmiller" had ever been contemplated. After that game was the original big argument about deathmillers. MEDS CURE SCIZOS was in that game (TheBetrayer) and got a cool avatar out of it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
100% ing Psycho Killer on Guitar Hero 80's on medium is about the extent of my musical ability.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

I'm glad to see that an overly forced discussion of actual Mafia lasted all of half of a page. :tipshat:

We have only sporadically talked about mafia here for a very long time now.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
What is this... mafia?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

BottleKnight posted:

What is this... mafia?

mafia is bad

ban all mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Aww thanks for the sweet death poem busb!

I sing but don't play any other instruments.