Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a spot on the lightning plains where you can trigger a lightning bolt, so you can just keep dodging that same lightning strike over and over

I guess that doesn't count as doing it legit but it doesn't require save states or anything

This is good enough for me, I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

A Steampunk Gent posted:

'Less than an hour' of doing something aggressively unfun to get half of one weapon is pretty awful imo. Fair enough if you've got the patience for it, but those minigames are why I didn't even bother trying to clear the postgame in FFX, you could probably beat a whole other game in the time it takes to get all the ultimate weapons and have alot more fun doing so

It is not a fun mini game. There is no question about that. I found it more tolerable that getting Wakka's weapon though because that one takes so darn long and this is coming from someone who enjoys Blitzball well enough at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe... you don't need the ultimate weapons, in final fantasy 10

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

But the trophies

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

If you want to beat all the lovely secret bosses in FFX International you want them

...Well that is if you don't just want to Zanmato things which is honestly more fun and cathartic.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baal posted:

...Well that is if you don't just want to Zanmato things which is honestly more fun and cathartic.

Other than grinding it up, Zanmato is hardly even playing the game. It is more like a tool used just to check something off of your FFX list. Call me crazy but I'd rather go for the ultimate weapons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're both boring. FFX has some of the worst side content in the series, I had a lot more fun not breaking everything and actually having a challenge with the main story instead of doing a bunch of dumb grindy bullshit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd agree, I even did get a fair amount of te ultimate weapons. It's a really awful way to pad out content.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

IZJS is really fun. I actually like FF12 this time around. Vaan is still a dumb lovely character.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can actually do everything up to Omega Weapon in normal gear and it's a pretty decent little endgame experience in itself. The Dark Aeons and Monster Arena are a joke though, probably a lowpoint in the mainline series for hideously awful bullshit fights

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I have mixed feelings about the Monster Arena fights. Some of them are insanely boring slogs while others leave more to the strategic imagination in a good way. Monster hunting can really suck though because they decided to make the requirement 10 of each monster despite the fact that some monsters are much more rare to encounter than others. It would have been better if the rare monsters only required 5 captures instead of 10.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm playing the FFX HD and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed playing it at release. I think the internet opinion just sort of ground down my memories of the game. I also forgot how much of a dick punch the bosses can be. That first fight with Seymour is rough, especially if you forget it's coming and don't heal up after the Al Bhed fight.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does the FFX/X-2 HD have the dark aeons and whatever other secret stuff was left out of the normal game?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RCarr posted:

Does the FFX/X-2 HD have the dark aeons and whatever other secret stuff was left out of the normal game?

Yeah

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Drythe posted:

IZJS is really fun. I actually like FF12 this time around. Vaan is still a dumb lovely character.

Just remember the true story happens in cutscenes Vaan is not in.

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a spot on the lightning plains where you can trigger a lightning bolt, so you can just keep dodging that same lightning strike over and over

I guess that doesn't count as doing it legit but it doesn't require save states or anything

Doesn't hold a candle to what you have to do for Wakka's weapon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

TommyGun85 posted:

yes. Listening to the audio and ignoring the visual makes it much much easier. I for one have done all the mini games except the chocobo one. I cant for the life of me do it

I would have traded you lightning dodging for chocobo crap. I hated lightning dodging so much that the only thing that kept me at it was fantasizing about punching the dev team. On the other hand, I did all the chocobo stuff within 30 minutes, twice.

I feel like every FFX minigame is a special brand of terrible meant to kill the completionist within.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, I never got to experience any of that. Is it worth doing?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

bloodychill posted:

I would have traded you lightning dodging for chocobo crap. I hated lightning dodging so much that the only thing that kept me at it was fantasizing about punching the dev team. On the other hand, I did all the chocobo stuff within 30 minutes, twice.

I feel like every FFX minigame is a special brand of terrible meant to kill the completionist within.

Yeah, as BS as the chocobo race can be, it at least as some semblance of strategy and skill associated with it. Dodging lightning is nothing but a game of patience, split second single button press reaction timing, and a huge tolerance for allowing your eyeballs to dry out since blinking at the wrong moment can literally cause you to start over.

RCarr posted:

Cool, I never got to experience any of that. Is it worth doing?

Dark Aeons and especially the expert sphere grid are well worth it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have yet to see someone fight the Dark Aeons without having maxed stats, auto-Phoenix, and just spamming quick hit the whole time. Not a very thrilling way to fight, I'd imagine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're really lovely boss fights and I'm happy their assets were folded into X-2 where they were actual boss fights

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Most mega boss fights throughout the Final Fantasy series are pretty repetitive and easy once you know what to do and how to prepare for them ahead of time. The Dark Aeons are no different.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
FFX's postgame content has some great and terrible stuff all jumbled together. I loved the Aeon duels with Belgamine and I dug the optional dungeons a lot. Capturing monsters was fun and I really liked the idea of the Original Creations.

It's just that you will hit a point where you need to do some major grinding to fill out your sphere grid to be even capable of hitting half of these mega bosses and the time required to do that simply invalidates the fun in doing it. The fights themselves sometimes have interesting gimmicks, but never enough to warrant the sheer effort required to experience them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, it's a mixed bag. The aeon gauntlet is pretty cool and some of the monster arena bosses are interesting. They would have been better if they lowered their HP but added more enemies to each battle so that you had to deal with interesting configurations, not just one boss after another.

The cactuar minigame is sorta fun and silly if pretty tough. Some of the dark aeons are ok, some of them can go to hell. And so can the the 99 sphere item/99 sphere level limit and the sheer amount of time it takes to fill out even a single party member sphere grid. I think even if you didn't have to constantly stock up spheres and sphere levels, it would take around an hour to fill them all in mindless fashion.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tenzarin posted:

Just remember the true story happens in cutscenes Vaan is not in.

You clearly weren't paying any attention to the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk why people hate vaan so much

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Endorph posted:

idk why people hate vaan so much

He wants to be a sky pirate!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's like 10% of the way into the game before he admits that that was just him fantasizing about escaping his lovely situation and that he doesn't really want to do that.

the sequel ignores this, but

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
He was tolerable at the end of the game after a character arc.

Mostly you spend the first ten hours wishing you knew more about Basch, Balthier, and Ashe. Honestly, any of them would have made a fine protagonist.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

it's like 10% of the way into the game before he admits that that was just him fantasizing about escaping his lovely situation and that he doesn't really want to do that.

the sequel ignores this, but

I never got the impression he didn't really want to be a sky pirate, but that the dream was more about freedom than anything else. And he's not really a "pirate" sort, since he's so nice and poo poo.

I liked Vaan in the sequel. In fact, I liked the sequel quite a lot, it was a great expansion of the world of Ivalice.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The FF12-3 game that almost was.

quote:

During development, Square Enix did not pay Grin over several months, and disapproved of the game's Nordic art style. Grin worked to bring the game's art style closer to the Final Fantasy series, but after six months of development was told that no funding would ever come from Square Enix, and the developer filed for bankruptcy several days later.

R.I.P.

Oh poo poo this company was doomed!

quote:

In 2009, Grin released Terminator Salvation, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, and Bionic Commando

Haha!

quote:

In response, Grin sent Square Enix an image of one of the latter's own games, Final Fantasy XII, and were told that it does not look like a game in Final Fantasy's style.

Square-enix destroying a company on the other side of the world.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 10, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

The FF12-3 game that almost was.

R.I.P.

Fortress sounded fun as hell.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I never got the impression he didn't really want to be a sky pirate, but that the dream was more about freedom than anything else. And he's not really a "pirate" sort, since he's so nice and poo poo.

I liked Vaan in the sequel. In fact, I liked the sequel quite a lot, it was a great expansion of the world of Ivalice.

He flat out says that he doesn't have any desire to be a Sky Pirate "I would say "I wanna be a sky pirate" or something stupid like that, just to get my mind off it. I felt hollow, and alone, and then I missed my brother."

The funniest thing for me is whenever anyone says "Why is he even with the group" and he flat out has a scene where he explains his reasoning for being with the group, that he hopes that by following Ashe he'll find purpose. Not to mention this was directly built towards, since the other characters did keep asking him why he remained. It seems people remembered them asking him why he remained and took it as more a shot from the writers, rather than a build up to the rather arrogant and childish protagonist revealing that he really doesn't have anything else, and he's looking for something else in life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8miNDMnaLA&t=756s

Basically people forget Jahara exists.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Probably wouldn't mind Vaan more if his outfit wasn't so horrible to look at. Why couldn't he been the one who died in the intro and his brother was the main character instead. At least he wore knight armor.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rirse posted:

Probably wouldn't mind Vaan more if his outfit wasn't so horrible to look at. Why couldn't he been the one who died in the intro and his brother was the main character instead. At least he wore knight armor.

Armor with his belly completely exposed.

Also booty shorts. He's basically Kuja.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vaan isn't an all time great character but he's not the reason 12 is boring

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I completely forgot that Chaos Wars dub existed. That's great. Shizuku's great.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Armor with his belly completely exposed.

Also booty shorts. He's basically Kuja.

I thought he wore a full plate armor. Then again, it been years since I played XII so I forgot that detail.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rirse posted:

I thought he wore a full plate armor. Then again, it been years since I played XII so I forgot that detail.

No no you're thinking of Basch.

Also holy gently caress I just looked up the plot details for "Fortress"

quote:

Basch was to be the main protagonist for the cancelled Final Fantasy XII spin-off sequel game where he would have defended Ivalice and Ashe from a marine army seeking to take over the land. He would have had a small romance with her, but it would not have worked out, and the two would have drifted apart by the game's end. Basch would have been one of the only people in Ivalice to believe the legends of an old sea king who tries to invade Ivalice every 10,000 years, and would have traveled to the uncharted territories to defend a magickal fortress, the structure standing between Ivalice and the sea the marine forces would try to overtake. He would have been joined by his old allies from Final Fantasy XII, as well as Larsa and other Archadian Judges. Only his closest friends would have been aware of his true identity, most others calling him "Judge Gabranth".

He would have faced challenges when defending the fortress from the sea king Loemund, allying the demigod Laegd after besting him in battle. Basch would have become torn between his self-appointed duty and his growing feelings for Ashe, who was developing feelings for Larsa. He would have come into conflict with Zargabaath after his true identity was revealed, resulting in his temporary imprisonment. In the end, when he had the chance to escape, Basch decided to stay behind and defeated Loemond at the cost of his life. The epilogue would have seen Laegd taking Basch's body to Loemond's castle, where he would have been resurrected and become the new Sea King.

Bolding the only part that doesn't sound cool.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Onmi posted:

No no you're thinking of Basch.

Also holy gently caress I just looked up the plot details for "Fortress"

Bolding the only part that doesn't sound cool.

Haha, I must have skimmed that initially. By the end of XII, you'd write that as Vaan I assume. Or did I read the game wrong? It's been years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Haha, I must have skimmed that initially. By the end of XII, you'd write that as Vaan I assume. Or did I read the game wrong? It's been years.

I'm... slightly confused about what you're asking here.