Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vileness fats
Sep 16, 2003

College Slice

Cryolite posted:

They now want to promote me to architect and give me 150k (I bluffed that the other place is offering 150 and they said they'd match). Holy crap. There's no way I'm taking it since the new place does deep learning, high throughput distributed systems, blah blah all that kind of stuff so there's no way I'm picking enterprise forms over that, but it really does make me think.

If you haven't accepted or otherwise totally finalized your negotiations with the new place, you can always go back to them and tell them what you have been offered to stay and ask if they can move at all. They can only say no, and it's not like you are making it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Cicero posted:

Definitely, and comp for senior/very senior engineers can go substantially higher than that at certain companies. Like at Google, a senior engineer will probably pull in more in the 250-300k total comp range (maybe higher if they've had a bunch of stock refreshes already).

If you don't mind my asking how much of that is salary?

Skandranon posted:

It's far worse to let your codebase end up in the situation most banks are in, where they have systems from the 70s still running, but no one knows how they work, and they simply keep it going because the cost to rewrite is now astronomical because they lost all domain and technical knowledge related to it. Although bytes do not change over time, code does rot.

I guess but I think I don't think it's crazy to say it's possible to go too far in the other direction.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 7, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

If you don't mind my asking how much of that is salary?
Around 60% I think.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

60% of $250K is only $150,000

So the difference in salary between a Senior Engineer and Ultra Senior Engineer is $100,000 in 'value-added perks'? Charter jets are what about $3K/hr to run? That's what, a free round-trip flight to the Bahamas for you and all your friends on one of the company jets? Or maybe 10 flights up to Tahoe with use of a company lodge? It can't all be stock, can it?

I keep reading all these amazing stories about how average Google engineers are making "$160K", but that is "total compensation" where their actual salary is usually under $110K

I think after you roll in lunches, beer, home internet, health insurance, transportation perks, vacation, 401k etc (but mostly health/dental/vision insurance) my "total compensation" comes out about $20-25K higher. If salary comes up during a date should I be quoting that BS number instead?

Unless you're getting vested stock options (or soon to vest stock options) it seems like the only number that really matters is pre-tax salary. Somebody please correct me?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 7, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I know at least some of the big software companies cap salary. I know Amazon and I think Microsoft both cap at 150k. I wouldn't be surprised if Google does as well. As you go up in rank, your expected bonus (cash and stock) % increases.

Usually the cash is instant, some stock may be instant, and the rest vest over 3-5 years, but yes part of it is golden handcuffs. When my husband left one of the big software companies, he left behind 200k in stock that was vesting in the next 2 years.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 7, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

So the difference in salary between a Senior Engineer and Ultra Senior Engineer is $100,000 in 'value-added perks'? Charter jets are what about $3K/hr to run? That's what, a free round-trip flight to the Bahamas for you and all your friends on one of the company jets? Or maybe 10 flights up to Tahoe with use of a company lodge? It can't all be stock, can it?

I keep reading all these amazing stories about how average Google engineers are making "$160K", but that is "total compensation" where their actual salary is usually under $110K

I think after you roll in lunches, beer, home internet, health insurance, transportation perks, vacation, 401k etc (but mostly health/dental/vision insurance) my "total compensation" comes out about $20-25K higher. If salary comes up during a date should I be quoting that BS number instead?

Unless you're getting vested stock options (or soon to vest stock options) it seems like the only number that really matters is pre-tax salary. Somebody please correct me?

110k salary. 30k bonus 20k RSU would be legit.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Stock option is not the same thing as restricted stock units (RSU).
Stock options give you the opportunity to buy stocks at a preset value and you have to hope the company stock goes up or it's worthless.
RSU is literally money (assuming your company is public) in the form of stocks. They don't give it to you right away. It's just a promise that you will get 25% (or however much) per year for the next few years as long as you stay at the company. It's less stable of course. Since the last 25% is received 4 years later and the stock value may have changed a lot.

When people say total compensation, they usually mean base + rsu + bonus (yearly and/or retention). The other stuff you mentioned are perks. I don't think most people count them as compensation.

edit: 401k/HSA match is gray area since it's basically extra money but with lots of restrictions. I also wouldn't count them. Any money you can't buy a house with is not compensation.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 8, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I was offered $150k base, 30% bonus, and $200k+ in RSUs on 4 year vesting for a rather mundane (by trendy tech company standards) software company not even for being a MTS, SMTS, or even a dedicated developer. It was for freakin' support operations engineering. Outside the SF/NYC tech scene hegemony, that's pretty high and I found out in the top 5% of all engineer comp for the DC metro area outside of defense / IC and that it beats almost everyone in DC area start-ups at even SVP level (according to the privileged compensation chart I saw that seemed consistent with me pricing out of most companies locally as a non-managing engineer).

Point really is that there's some possibilities outside of the usual tech scenes for fairly good comp, but I'm certainly not going to say it's anywhere near as common nor would you be doing the same kind of (hopefully interesting) work as at the big tech companies where there's more specialized well-funded roles possible.

MeruFM posted:

RSU is literally money (assuming your company is public) in the form of stocks. They don't give it to you right away. It's just a promise that you will get 25% (or however much) per year for the next few years as long as you stay at the company. It's less stable of course. Since the last 25% is received 4 years later and the stock value may have changed a lot.
RSUs are extremely important in differences compared to bonuses and general compensation due to tax treatments once you are above a certain tax bracket. Stock can be held for over a year and be taxed at long term capital gains.

I'd certainly rather get $600k in raw cash than a $350k combo of stock and cash compensation but once you cross into "AMT is evil" territory you shouldn't be caring about what some Internet person says about taxation and compensation and going to a fee-only accountant.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 8, 2016

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Dang, you got that in the DC area for uncleared work? Is that in DC proper, NOVA, or in MD (oh gosh please say MD)?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Hadlock posted:

Fwiw, I started at google in september at a relatively entry level position and I'm at like 110 base 160-170 total. I'm certain higher levels make much more than me

edit: total meaning salary+bonus+rsu

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Fwiw, I started at google in september at a relatively entry level position and I'm at like 110 base 160-170 total. I'm certain higher levels make much more than me

In practice the base goes up by around 30k per level. By the time I left I was making low 200s on my W2s as a level 4, largely due to the initial RSU grants, plus the generous refreshers following reviews seasons. Ended up leaving for a smaller company, where I have a higher base but with lottery tickets instead of RSUs and where it doesn't feel like I'm slowly stagnating away.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

How many years of experience do you have? I'm in the middle of the hiring process there, and the recruiter tells me that my current base (160) is "the high end for one level, but the low end for the level above it" so she scheduled my interviews to try and place at the higher level.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Two years out of school (BS), spent at a silly (but impressive if you describe it right) startup. I got hired as SWE 2 / level 3.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Ahh, cool. I'll be at 11 years in June, so it seems they actually pretty closely track the Junior > Senior > Lead/Principal compensation tiers a lot of other places do (although they use different job titles).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
It's weird how you can tell a company's heritage from the leveling system for their engineers.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Cryolite posted:

Dang, you got that in the DC area for uncleared work? Is that in DC proper, NOVA, or in MD (oh gosh please say MD)?
Yes, completely outside defense (ok, the customer was defense technically but as an outside product vendor that didn't require more than U//FOUO / public trust type of clearance that any idiot at a major corporate sell-out would be able to pass). It was VA. MD is poo poo for compensation compared to VA and for taxation - I've lived in both states. I was offered less base and zero other comp, funny enough, at a defense contractor for pretty important work on a random BS Big Data project (everyone says that it is, granted) that required a TS/SCI.

Private sector software comp outside the major software vendors in the DC area is surprisingly bad (I got cap tables and salary breakdowns that VCs shared amongst each other for the DC and NYC area up to founder levels through a contact that works with VCs in the Bay Area - DC was at least 20% lower across the board), and even among those big companies that do offer top 20% aggregate comp, they will be related to dealing with defense indirectly almost certainly. Even Google's top sales engineers in the area may pull $500 - $700k annual comp, but their customers are all going to be defense basically (an old company I was with worked extensively with Google on defense projects).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

necrobobsledder posted:

Yes, completely outside defense (ok, the customer was defense technically but as an outside product vendor that didn't require more than U//FOUO / public trust type of clearance that any idiot at a major corporate sell-out would be able to pass). It was VA. MD is poo poo for compensation compared to VA and for taxation - I've lived in both states. I was offered less base and zero other comp, funny enough, at a defense contractor for pretty important work on a random BS Big Data project (everyone says that it is, granted) that required a TS/SCI.

Private sector software comp outside the major software vendors in the DC area is surprisingly bad (I got cap tables and salary breakdowns that VCs shared amongst each other for the DC and NYC area up to founder levels through a contact that works with VCs in the Bay Area - DC was at least 20% lower across the board), and even among those big companies that do offer top 20% aggregate comp, they will be related to dealing with defense indirectly almost certainly. Even Google's top sales engineers in the area may pull $500 - $700k annual comp, but their customers are all going to be defense basically (an old company I was with worked extensively with Google on defense projects).

Would you mind expanding on companies in DC that have higher aggregate compensation? I've been looking for senior software roles there and the compensation seems pretty lackluster when compared to cost of living.

asur fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 9, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

asur posted:

Would you mind expanding on companies in DC that have higher aggregate compensation? I've been looking for senior software roles there and the compensation seems pretty lackluster when compared to cost of living.
They'd be the usual suspect companies that would have some need to care about the enterprise market in earnest to devote opening an office there. These would be companies like Google, Microsoft, VMware, and somewhat arguably Amazon (last time I tried to interview there was back in the Great Recession when I was pretty much a noob running against rather experienced, focused engineers, but I know more people that quit Amazon from that office than are still there and I have my reservations as a result). Neustar was hiring pretty aggressively a while ago but they're way out in Sterling and may not be right for you. When I threw out $150k base just to see if they were as lame as start-ups they took a little time to come back if that was possible. There's a Salesforce office there that's more operations focused and they pay pretty well, too. I've passed interviews with them before and they've got some senior software engineer jobs open last I saw, but they're really far out next to Dulles if you live in DC.

Start-up compensation for engineers in the DC area is not going to go beyond $130k for a senior engineer almost certainly. I interviewed with a few and none of the recruiters thought I could get that when I said it's the lowest I could possibly do while still living in DC and they all left. On the comp table I saw, three directors of engineering were getting maybe $140k too.

I do agree that for the cost of living that DC tech compensation for engineers is mediocre. This is partly because DC's business climate is sales culture oriented and most of the roles are centric around sales and sales engineering roles or something more customer facing. An mid-level sales engineer role with Pivotal for federal sales eng started at $150k with 40%+ bonuses or more. I'd argue that DC is the sales equivalent of the Bay Area where it comes to hot job trends. Tons of huge customers with deep pockets and shallow organizational IQ to draw from = you can afford a $1M house on your own single income rather easily as a typical sales guy around here. Even with mediocre, dinosaur companies I worked with frequently had totally 9-to-5 type sales guys routinely drawing $200k annually.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Rurutia posted:

I know at least some of the big software companies cap salary. I know Amazon and I think Microsoft both cap at 150k. I wouldn't be surprised if Google does as well. As you go up in rank, your expected bonus (cash and stock) % increases.

This would be really surprising to me. I'm only familiar with Facebook who I know doesn't cap salary, but I'd be very surprised if anybody they compete with for candidates doesn't do similarly.

In fact you can confirm this isn't the case by looking at h1b data:
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=FACEBOOK+INC&job=software+engineer&city=&year=All
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=GOOGLE+INC&job=software+engineer&city=&year=All
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=MICROSOFT+CORPORATION&job=senior+software+engineer&city=&year=All

Really wanna know who the person who got over a million dollar salary to work for Google in Pittsburgh is...

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 9, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rurutia posted:

That bonus/stock makes up a larger % of your comp as you increase in level is true, but I don't think it's true that Amazon or MS have actual salary 'caps' (and certainly not 150k): https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Microsoft-Principal-Software-Development-Engineer-Salaries-E1651_D_KO10,49.htm

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pr0zac posted:

Really wanna know who the person who got over a million dollar salary to work for Google in Pittsburgh is...

Google Pittsburgh is one of their big research labs, I think. Probably some famous machine learning professor.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

ultrafilter posted:

Google Pittsburgh is one of their big research labs, I think. Probably some famous machine learning professor.

My best guess is Alex Smola, but he's been in the US for a long time so I'd be surprised if he needed a visa.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nippashish posted:

My best guess is Alex Smola, but he's been in the US for a long time so I'd be surprised if he needed a visa.

Wouldn't people like this be on the genius visa anyways?

pr0zac posted:

This would be really surprising to me. I'm only familiar with Facebook who I know doesn't cap salary, but I'd be very surprised if anybody they compete with for candidates doesn't do similarly.

In fact you can confirm this isn't the case by looking at h1b data:
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=FACEBOOK+INC&job=software+engineer&city=&year=All
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=GOOGLE+INC&job=software+engineer&city=&year=All
http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=MICROSOFT+CORPORATION&job=senior+software+engineer&city=&year=All

Cicero posted:

That bonus/stock makes up a larger % of your comp as you increase in level is true, but I don't think it's true that Amazon or MS have actual salary 'caps' (and certainly not 150k): https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Microsoft-Principal-Software-Development-Engineer-Salaries-E1651_D_KO10,49.htm

Yeah I wasn't sure about MS. But that's what I was told by several people who worked at Amazon, and I thought MS. I was told this a few years back so it might have changed. Or they might be lying. :shrug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I had an Amazon (well Quidsi) recruiter tell me that they generally topped out at 150k for SWE too. Might not be a hard cap though, just general compensation tiers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My impression is that you can make significantly more than that if you're an expert in machine learning, distributed systems, or something like that. I think that those caps are just for general developers.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

My impression is that you can make significantly more than that if you're an expert in machine learning, distributed systems, or something like that. I think that those caps are just for general developers.

Yeah, I would expect this. But I was responding to someone who was pointing out the relatively 'low' base salary that someone had given for a Google Senior SWE. Just from what I've seen, it's not surprising for the large jumps in your total compensation (not including benefits) to be from stock and bonus increases rather than base salary.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Yeah, I would expect this. But I was responding to someone who was pointing out the relatively 'low' base salary that someone had given for a Google Senior SWE. Just from what I've seen, it's not surprising for the large jumps in your total compensation (not including benefits) to be from stock and bonus increases rather than base salary.

After semi-serious job searching for the past 6 months, I kind of get the impression that 150-170k base is the ceiling for most software dev jobs in NYC area. Stock options / RSUs can give you a big bump too, depending on how the stock does. I made like an extra 150k on my options at my current job, although that was with a 5 year vesting, so it's roughly an extra 30k /year. Several years back when our stock was half it's price they were also giving out huge RSA blocks every year which are worth way more now.

Also, 110k for 2 years off a BS isn't bad at all.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hey so here's my poo poo:

I'm currently employed as the sole tester for this company that has this order management software product. As the only QA guy I'm stuck maintaining/creating every aspect of the testing environment - from writing automated tests, to managing a team of 4 functional testers, to continuous integration, backups, yadda yadda. Im feeling really burned out and underpayed so Im curious how other guys in the QA are doing. Are you guys happy with your jobs? Do you feel like QA I'd a bad place to be compared to developing? How many people do you have in your QA department compared to the development department?

I just want a job where I can be paid well *and* not juggling way too much poo poo for one person. Maybe I'm a baby though

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Feral Integral posted:

Hey so here's my poo poo:

I'm currently employed as the sole tester for this company that has this order management software product. As the only QA guy I'm stuck maintaining/creating every aspect of the testing environment - from writing automated tests, to managing a team of 4 functional testers, to continuous integration, backups, yadda yadda. Im feeling really burned out and underpayed so Im curious how other guys in the QA are doing. Are you guys happy with your jobs? Do you feel like QA I'd a bad place to be compared to developing? How many people do you have in your QA department compared to the development department?

I just want a job where I can be paid well *and* not juggling way too much poo poo for one person. Maybe I'm a baby though

Look for a SDET job.

Mediocre companies have QA teams that mostly to manual functional testing and fill out spread sheets, follow test plans, etc.

Good companies have SDET engineers managing their whole QA and testing process, writing automated tests, perform performance and functional testing, and do complex software development to achieve those goals. They are also paid and treated like developers too.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
Just for sake of another data point, the soft cap on senior engineering roles in Austin seems to be about 130k base. At least, that's roughly where I'm at (~10 years experience in senior roles, the last ~5 lead/manager) and it seems that employers around here who can beat that are very few and far between. On the other hand, the cost of living here is still quite low compared to the coasts (we rent a 3/2 house on a pretty big lot 15 minutes' drive from work for under $1500/mo., gas is well under $2/gal, etc.). On the third hand the state is run by absolute whackadoodle jackasses who think water should come in regular or unleaded and that teaching kids that the US was founded by Moses riding a T-Rex is A-OK.

:clint: Win some, lose some, I guess.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Not quite the cap in Austin, but finding higher is tough. I'm currently a couple 10k higher than that, but hate my job. I'd probably take a small pay cut to work somewhere sane.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
To be fair, I haven't looked super hard, just talked with a few recruiters that reached out and that's the impression I got from them. My job isn't anywhere close to sane so maybe I should look harder. v:frogbon:v (tl;dr: ~75% RIF, effectively wearing three hats to keep shipping, ADHD senior management, burnoutsville)

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

necrobobsledder posted:

They'd be the usual suspect companies that would have some need to care about the enterprise market in earnest to devote opening an office there. These would be companies like Google, Microsoft, VMware, and somewhat arguably Amazon (last time I tried to interview there was back in the Great Recession when I was pretty much a noob running against rather experienced, focused engineers, but I know more people that quit Amazon from that office than are still there and I have my reservations as a result). Neustar was hiring pretty aggressively a while ago but they're way out in Sterling and may not be right for you. When I threw out $150k base just to see if they were as lame as start-ups they took a little time to come back if that was possible. There's a Salesforce office there that's more operations focused and they pay pretty well, too. I've passed interviews with them before and they've got some senior software engineer jobs open last I saw, but they're really far out next to Dulles if you live in DC.

Start-up compensation for engineers in the DC area is not going to go beyond $130k for a senior engineer almost certainly. I interviewed with a few and none of the recruiters thought I could get that when I said it's the lowest I could possibly do while still living in DC and they all left. On the comp table I saw, three directors of engineering were getting maybe $140k too.

I do agree that for the cost of living that DC tech compensation for engineers is mediocre. This is partly because DC's business climate is sales culture oriented and most of the roles are centric around sales and sales engineering roles or something more customer facing. An mid-level sales engineer role with Pivotal for federal sales eng started at $150k with 40%+ bonuses or more. I'd argue that DC is the sales equivalent of the Bay Area where it comes to hot job trends. Tons of huge customers with deep pockets and shallow organizational IQ to draw from = you can afford a $1M house on your own single income rather easily as a typical sales guy around here. Even with mediocre, dinosaur companies I worked with frequently had totally 9-to-5 type sales guys routinely drawing $200k annually.

This was really interesting, thanks. I do non-profit/political type work here and have been figuring out what is next after November, so this was a good read and really lined up with what my perception of what the area had to offer.

Also for perspective on working at a place like I do: lower pay ($70k) but fantastic benefits, poo poo hours from around July to November, but really flexible before that. Remote work is pretty common. Less bureaucracy than working for the Feds, but still some annoying bits, mostly in how they'd prefer we deliver products (for example, we're constantly explaining the cons of waterfall development). Pretty good flexibility in using new/interesting technology to build out software, as long as you can justify it; so, no, I probably can't rewrite our analytics platform in... Haskell, or something, but I'm currently building out some realtime social media monitoring software using things like React + Redux on the front-end. My coworkers are also largely really smart and friendly/inclusive people who are dedicated to what they do, which makes coming to work easier.

So really --
Cons: lower money, garbage hours during certain times of the year, old political types who don't always get the value of technology as a tool and not a talking point
Pros: benefits, work environment, ability to (in theory) be dedicated to work that conceivable does some of positive social change

(although to be honest I kind hope to cash the hell out after this year because I'm ready to make some real dollars)

Monkey Fury fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 11, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Next week is my 14 year anniversary at my current job. I'm in my mid-30's, and my last job evaporated in 2001 during the original dot-com crash. I stumbled into it, and it's been a nightmare ever since. It's a small company that's been around awhile and has somehow managed to survive despite myriad issues. I'm trying to figure out my future here.

The job is doing websites in ColdFusion. For 14 years that's basically all I've done. I've managed Windows servers, done your basic email setup and support, managed a little bit of Linux servers for email/DNS, but by and large my only marketable skill is ColdFusion, which is poo poo-terrible at future job prospects.

The last decade and a half here have worn down my ability to care. I'm the ONLY person here now, as everyone with sense quit years ago. Despite that I'm not allowed to make any changes to the infrastructure. I do everything: ColdFusion, front end Bootstrap (poorly)/CSS/Javascript, server management, IT support for both customers (as in, drive over to their office and set up their email because they can't figure out TeamViewer) and the other side of our business (non-web), I'm on call 24/7 to respond to server failures with no backup employee to spell me or allow me to take vacations, no 401k, no paid time off accruing, manage our Quickbooks and billing, and a laundry list of additional sins (stuff like the boss not shelling out for a proper NAS for the office and blaming me when we lost key files after a hard drive failed, etc).

My boss can't say no to customers. You want a website that takes credit cards and violates PCI Compliance? No problem! Demand that the work completed wasn't really what you expected but you'll take it anyway and how about a discount because you complained? Sure thing! I'm bed ridden recovering from a non-elective surgery? Just cut my pay until I'm back in office because "I'm not paying you to be out of the office and lie in bed. You want pay, you come in and work.".

Right now, we're in the process of getting rid of ALL our website. Shutting it all down. After the last employee quit 4 years ago I pushed that we just close our doors. My boss agreed, and has ideas that once we're out of doing websites we'll transition to focusing on internal projects. Now, to be fair, I think the projects he's talking about are decent and can potentially bring in more revenue than we were bleeding out doing websites, but I don't really want to stay a part of this and it's nebulous on what my role will be besides "building them". Despite starting the process 4 years ago, we STILL have 60% of our sites left, and that means that at this speed we'll hit a point where the hosting income is less than the cost of all our servers and we might spend a couple more years just making GBS threads money away.

I would have quit but I'm paid moderately well for my area and sometime have large swaths of time where I'm waiting on other people and have nothing to do but sit around and try to learn new marketable skills; beyond that I have a stupid sense of duty as we're a small town and these customers rely on me 100% - me leaving without a replacement would bone a lot of companies and I feel (stupidly) obligated to help transition them to a better life away from ColdFusion. We've tried to hire a replacement three times now, but despite aggressively looking we've never found someone. I've actually up and quit three times in the last 7 years and each time get roped back in.

I have a smattering of other languages I have passing familiarity with. Javascript, C#, a tiny bit of PHP, Python and Java. I've looked at MEAN, dabbled with Laravel on PHP, with ASP.NET MVC 3 - but I'm not going to be anything but a novice with them, and I really don't want to take a drastic pay cut and "start over" on the food chain under another company, despite the fact that me only knowing ColdFusion means that, yeah, I'm basically going to have to start over except I'm not in my mid-30's. I'm so gun-shy about responsibility now because of being the sole person without vacation keeping servers afloat through some pretty drastic emergencies (due to the boss not shelling out for proper redundancy) that ultimately I don't know what I want to do I just don't want to feel the weight of hundreds of companies bearing down on me any more. I'd really rather not take a pay cut, and sure I have all this "experience" but in areas I don't want to continue using or are dying languages.

I like programming. I like solving challenges with code or work around thinking. I'm also so used to just drifting by in this sea of poo poo that the thought of actually trying something new has me absurdly panicked. There's a sort of comfort in the familiar bullshit. My ability to deal with all of this poo poo is pretty amazing, so I manage to rationalize a lot of "man just stay and get paid doing the same familiar instead of starting over and having to struggle again". I'm trying to pick up new relevant skills, but the ability to put them into practice at my current job is almost non-existent, and I feel I'm struggling to learn new things after so long stuck doing lovely code in ColdFusion. I like pretty much every language I work with instantly because it's not CF, so I've jumped learning so many times while trying to settle on the new "one" that I want to base a career around.

Haha. That's a whine and a half rant.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Hi thread! I used to post a bit in the newbie thread, but I figure now that I've graduated to actually being employed as a software dude and I'm well on my way to becoming a SCRUM Master at my new job that I should probably post in this one.

I'm self-taught (no bootcamps or anything) and for the past 2 years or so have been hammering learning web dev and general software stuff pretty hard. I started my first real software job a couple of months ago, and I feel like I'm settling in and getting comfortable enough to start thinking about looking forward.

While I obviously plan to continue working and learning at my current job, I'd like also to expand my skill set and knowledge outside of work since my current job is all within the domain I am most comfortable with (Python on the web). I think I'd like to learn a language that isn't Python, and I also think I would like to maybe try doing some distributed system stuff (just because it is a superficially 'interesting' problem domain). To that end, I was thinking I might buy up a small cluster of Raspberry Pis and build some kind of... thing in a language that isn't Python.

Does that sound like a worthwhile/realistic pursuit if my goal is to do something that I find interesting outside of work while also increasing my value to potential employers say a year down the line when I start hitting the job search again?

Also, if anyone in here happens to work with distributed stuff any courses/books/papers/blogs/project ideas/tips/language suggestions are totally welcome.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mortanis posted:

a whine and a half rant.

Start looking at either Angular2 or React. With Angular2 especially, you don't have to worry about not having 10 years experience, because NO ONE has that, it's still in beta.

Also, stop worrying about the customers needing you, if your current job is as you've described (a 14 year long nightmare), then you owe it to yourself to properly get out. Worst case scenario, you leave, the place tanks, and all those needy customers come to you directly and you can do it properly without idiot boss guy.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

:frogout: of your job, you've been stuck at that lovely place for far too long. Look what else is are available in your area and work towards that. Can't go wrong with Javascript in any way, and Java, C#, Ruby, whichever is popular in your area for the backend. Just do stick with your old job until you've found a new one.

PS You don't owe those companies poo poo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Where do you live? Unless it's somewhere with an absolutely atrocious economy anyone with halfway decent skills can get a much better job for better pay that doesn't treat them like garbage.

Don't feel bad about leaving. This business isn't a charity, and you should be maximizing not only your earnings but your happiness and quality of life as well.

Your boss sounds like an rear end in a top hat too.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020

Mortanis posted:

Yeah, jumping on the bandwagon here. 14 years of bullshit is at least 13.5 too many. :) I feel like I'm in a similar situation (job where you're responsible for pretty much everything, stress leading to burnout leading to not feeling up to dealing well with interviewing, etc.) so I know it seems like an impossible catch-22 where your current situation sucks but jumping seems out of reach... but eventually, have hope that a better gig exists elsewhere. Every time I've felt like this, eventually something clearly better came along. Being a newb at a company beats being the lead expert in getting poo poo on at your current gig. In terms of concrete advice, it sounds like either front-end focused or fullstack developer roles might be a good fit if you wanted to lean that way, and steer clear of ops/devops/etc. roles where on-call is more common... spin your ops experience as a bonus but not core element of your resume so people know you can do it in a pinch but are focused on development. PHP and js jobs are pretty plentiful. NB: you may have to move if the job market is really bad in your area, which if you're tightly coupled to family or friends might hurt. But there are still a lot of tech jobs out there that aren't in SF/NYC, sometimes even hopping to a regional hub is a dramatic improvement in job market depth and it's not like a few hours' drive is going to kill someone to visit in either direction.

This disjointed rambling brought to you by dayQuil and not taking a day off because oh god everything is on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Thanks all. I'm in the pacific northwest, but far enough from Seattle that a commute would be killer. Which means likely moving, something I'll have to get a grip on once I've picked up at least something marketable to add to my resume. I'm hopeful that "14 years of experience, even in a lovely dead language" is at least going to keep people form immediately binning my resume, even if I've got no college or useful skills, but it's hard to shake that fear that I've basically wasted 14 years without much to show for it.