Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mayodreams posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I think you should be more concerned about how much longer your 8 year old hardware will hold up.

Coming up on 12 year, actually. It's an Alienware desktop from mid-2004 with an ASUS Socket 478 motherboard and a CT-479 adapter to be able to run a Pentium M and overclock it with desktop-class cooling. My first real gaming desktop and quite nice in its day, only replaced at the end of 2008 when Nehalem came out.

I'm not concerned about it because it's not my primary system, that's a 2500K, but it still works great so I put Windows 10 on it to see how it would hold up. It's not bad with 4GB of memory, I could use it in a bind if all my other desktops somehow broke. Hardware decoding for some video works on the 4650 that I found for $25 on eBay, but anything that has to use software decoding will run like poo poo on a single-core processor.

The more impressive thing to me is that the original 80GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA drive attached to it still works perfectly with no bad sectors. Dog slow compared to a new drive but I can't complain about longevity.

blowfish posted:

I've never seen an AGP slot in my life. Are you sure they still exist? :psyduck:

They haven't for years but if you have one there's not much you can do about it, PCI is a lot slower and the selection doesn't improve much.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That drive is from an era when Seagate made reliable drives.

I still have my 7200.10 320gb for a decade and it still works, but it's so old and worn that it draws 100w on spinup.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The last time I used AGP was....poo poo, the Radeon 9800 Pro.

GeForce 6800, if memory serves. I don't upgrade super often.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

blowfish posted:

I've never seen an AGP slot in my life. Are you sure they still exist? :psyduck:
You just started high school, or what?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

You just started high school, or what?

PCI gfx cards were bleeding edge compared to ols ISA cards. Voodoo, man.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i'm pretty sure the time you would waste getting an agp-era desktop to play nice with windows 10 (on top of waiting 5 minutes each boot etc) would probably be better spent in gainful employment to pay for a new computer

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

:corsair: I worked in a computer store in the days when there was a choice between VESA local bus and PCI. In fact I'm pretty sure we had one weird 486 board with both slots.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

My Oak Technology VGA card back in the day was the poo poo. 256KB of VRAM.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Generic Monk posted:

i'm pretty sure the time you would waste getting an agp-era desktop to play nice with windows 10 (on top of waiting 5 minutes each boot etc) would probably be better spent in gainful employment to pay for a new computer

Honestly, it works perfectly with no extra trickery needed except for the aforementioned overscan issues with the 4650. Drivers installed automatically for literally every other part in the system, and I haven't noticed that bootup is any slower than with other systems that still boot off HDDs. The only thing keeping me from putting it to use is that I have 4 newer desktops and just don't have a need for it, and the only reason I bothered in the first place is that I was curious to see if there was any reason it wouldn't work.

There is actually a reason it won't work if you get the earlier Pentium Ms, the 7x5 series - it's either lack of PAE support or the NX bit, but you can't go past Windows 7. No problem once I found a 760 and swapped that in though.

Panty Saluter posted:

GeForce 6800, if memory serves. I don't upgrade super often.

Yeah, I don't either. My upgrade path went like this:
Radeon 9600 XT (came with AGP desktop in 2004) -> 6800 GS (in 2006 - unlocked to Ultra, too!) -> Radeon 4850 (in Nehalem system, 2008) -> 7850 (in Sandy Bridge system, 2012) which I'm still using now. Polaris or Pascal will probably motivate me to replace the 7850.

I actually ended up selling the 6800 GS on SA-Mart well after I upgraded to the 4850 and swapped in an old Radeon 9550 just to keep the AGP system running, but after I put Windows 10 on it (which also worked just fine with the 9550) I decided I should probably max out the final part of the system just for kicks and bought the AGP 4650. As far as I can tell, better cards were never made for AGP and honestly I'm surprised they kept it alive past 2006 or so when NVIDIA dropped it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's been literally 10 years since AGP was phased out... If anyone is still using one, your smart phone is probably faster.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's been literally 10 years since AGP was phased out... If anyone is still using one, your smart phone is probably faster.

Oh, it totally is. Still cool that Windows 10 works on it. Works on my single-core Atom N450 netbook also and that supports 64-bit too, although with only 2GB of memory maximum it won't make much difference.

Honestly, Vista was kind of a high water mark for system requirements. We're almost back down to just what you would need to make XP run smoothly at this point, I actually wonder if 10 would run on a P3-1GHz with 512MB of memory.

Actually nevermind... if it didn't work on a first generation Pentium M, there's no way in hell it will work on the processor that was developed from. drat you, NX bit!

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 9, 2016

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I just wanted to give people a heads up that you can get a 6700k from jet.com as a new user for $350 shipped. I've been wanting to get one for a while and the absolute cheapest price with sales tax in California was around $425. Jet has the cpu in stock for $400 and new users can use SCARYMOMMY2015 coupon code to take $50 off. I ordered one on Saturday and its shipped.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AGP I extended the life on my P4 3.0 before I finally got a C2Q 9550 system. Went from a 9800PRO to a 7800GS which was a pretty decent card for what it was.

Also how do you have a 4800 series ATI card that hasn't burnt itself out yet?!? :psyduck:

I had gone through 3 4870X2's before VisionTek Swapped me up to a refurb 5870 which is happily humming along in that old system I gave to my Sis for Photoshop stuff.

Loved those X2's but man they did get hot. Friend of mine with a 4850 and his bro with a 4830 both ran super hot to the point that they finally died or got close.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I hate to sound like a broken record, but an Accelero worked wonders on my 4850. The 4xxx was designed to run hotter than hell anyway (not that running it cooler isn't helpful)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Panty Saluter posted:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but an Accelero worked wonders on my 4850. The 4xxx was designed to run hotter than hell anyway (not that running it cooler isn't helpful)

I have this ASUS model with a good-sized copper cooler on it and don't remember ever having a problem when it was my main although I broke it out recently and tried Furmark which caused it to crash. One cleaning and regreasing later and it's just fine, probably doesn't go over 75 at load.

I did have issues with my 6800 GS, which was an XFX model with a single-slot cooler that sucked rear end. It would get to 120 when playing BF2 before locking up and crashing the system. I replaced that with an Arctic Cooling 2-slot blower and it didn't even hit 60 under load anymore, that thing was incredible.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

I have this ASUS model with a good-sized copper cooler on it and don't remember ever having a problem when it was my main although I broke it out recently and tried Furmark which caused it to crash. One cleaning and regreasing later and it's just fine, probably doesn't go over 75 at load.

I had the same card but the fan broke during warranty period so I got a new 5750 or something as a replacement. I was too lazy to wait for them to process the rma so I bought a HD6950(70) while waiting. It was a reference model so I had to replace the fan with Accelero pretty fast. I liked it, now I own Asus Strix 970 and the cooler is poo poo. I should probably rip the asus cooler away and get an Accelero again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the 4000 series, it wasn't the GPU itself but the VRM's. The core could be a balmy 70-80C but those VRM's would get up to 100C+ easy if you didn't watch it.

On like the 3rd 4870X2 that was dying on me, I threw caution to the wind and threw the voltage/fans up to see if I could get it to stop glitching out playing SC2. The VRM Temps got up to over 130C but amazingly it didin't die, but man did it put out some heat.

It amazes me how good the Nvidia Reference coolers got after using that X2, then a 5870, then SLI 560TI's. They all were just hot running things and the stock fan profiles sucked noodles as well as the fans themselves when you wanted them to ramp up and got so loud.

At 100% my 780's fans are easily 1/2 as quiet as the 560Ti fans were at 60%. And they never go above the low 70C's with my fan curve adjustment and mild overclock.

I continue to hate any aftermarket fan design for use with SLI. I want the heat vented out of the back unless aftermarket is going water.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rukus posted:

Artificial market segmentation is the reason for the whole VT-d thing on K processors. If you could get a K i7, have VT-d, and overclock the hell out of it then you're basically at some of their Xeons in terms of performance.
VT-x is sufficient for most people running workstation VMs as opposed to servers, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Coming up on 12 year, actually. It's an Alienware desktop from mid-2004 with an ASUS Socket 478 motherboard and a CT-479 adapter to be able to run a Pentium M and overclock it with desktop-class cooling. My first real gaming desktop and quite nice in its day, only replaced at the end of 2008 when Nehalem came out.

I'm not concerned about it because it's not my primary system, that's a 2500K, but it still works great so I put Windows 10 on it to see how it would hold up. It's not bad with 4GB of memory, I could use it in a bind if all my other desktops somehow broke. Hardware decoding for some video works on the 4650 that I found for $25 on eBay, but anything that has to use software decoding will run like poo poo on a single-core processor.

The more impressive thing to me is that the original 80GB Seagate 7200.7 SATA drive attached to it still works perfectly with no bad sectors. Dog slow compared to a new drive but I can't complain about longevity.
Classic hoarder behavior.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

VT-x is sufficient for most people running workstation VMs as opposed to servers, right?
Depends on whether you want to do this whole VGA passthrough shpiel or not. Did it for a few weeks, works OK, but spinning up a VM everytime you want to do something gets annoying, though. Most productivity software is still Win/Mac exclusive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

blowfish posted:

That was only 10 years ago or so when they were finally hitting the end of their lifecycle. The last AGP card I bought was a 7800GT for my Pentium 4 system. Did you only just get into IT?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HalloKitty posted:

That was only 10 years ago or so when they were finally hitting the end of their lifecycle. The last AGP card I bought was a 7800GT for my Pentium 4 system. Did you only just get into IT?

My Socket 939 system had PCI-E in 2004, there was overlap for a while. I remember the X800 series was available on both, because I had a PCI-E X800 Pro and that was a 6800 competitor.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

You mean 7800GS, they never made the GT/GTX's AGP. :P

Trust me I looked hard and wide for one hah. They had a very close to full GT style GS at one point, but it was super expensive vs the normal GS's. (Gainward 7800GS+ Which ran a full 20 pipe GT Chip)

The alternate ATI card that came out for AGP that was actually really good, was the ATI X800XL which was a 16ROP beast like the 850XT's at the time which was cool. *(Crap they made a X850XT Platinum Edition in AGP as well. Well color me surprised. That would have been a great card too.)

RIP BFG. :(

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 10, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

You mean 7800GS, they never made the GT/GTX's AGP. :P

Trust me I looked hard and wide for one hah. They had a very close to full GT style GS at one point, but it was super expensive vs the normal GS's.

RIP BFG. :(

It was advertised as a 7800GS for whatever obscure reason, but it absolutely was a 7800GT. It's the one I had, in fact, have; but it's in storage, in the aforementioned Pentium 4 Northwood system.

Yes, it was expensive. It's actually the most expensive graphics card I've ever bought, to date. (£274.97 in April 2006). Even my current 290X cost a decent amount less.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 10, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Never forget

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

It was advertised as a 7800GS for whatever obscure reason, but it absolutely was a 7800GT. It's the one I had, in fact, have; but it's in storage, in the aforementioned Pentium 4 Northwood system.

Yes, it was expensive. It's actually the most expensive graphics card I've ever bought, to date. (£274.97 in April 2006). Even my current 290X cost a decent amount less.

Yep that was The card. Very nice and I wish I could have gotten my hands on one of them. Though since the chip at the time was a AMD Athlon64 4000, my P4 3.0 was just not going to feed it enough either way.

Don Lapre posted:

Never forget

What in the hell is that monstrous piece of amazing engineering? That is awesome!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There were also some amd cards that were pci-e internally and had a built in agp bridge and wouldn't work with amds regular drivers.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm still running an i7 2600k with a moderate overclock (but could probably go higher), how much of an upgrade is Skylake compared to Sandy Bridge?

My concern isn't so much the speed of it as it is continuing to being able to find replacement / compatible parts for a 4 year old platform or games having a hardcoded check for a CPU id string and not letting it run on a 2XXX series CPU.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 10, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Do you need replacement parts right now or is this a machine that needs to run in spec for the next Long Time?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I just replaced the motherboard with an IB Z77 one, but it was a pain to find a Micro ATX one to fit my case, and I really don't want to have to do that again if I don't have to.

I've been happy with it so far, my concerns down the road is being able to keep finding DDR3 memory, since Skylake doesn't use it, and again, badly written hardcoded checks that fail any kind of 2XXX series CPU even if it would run it otherwise.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 10, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm still running an i7 2600k with a moderate overclock (but could probably go higher), how much of an upgrade is Skylake compared to Sandy Bridge?

My concern isn't so much the speed of it as it is continuing to being able to find replacement or compatible parts for a 4 year old platform.

It's a difference but not a huge one, 20% or so faster I'd say. Of course it depends on the task, for stuff like x264 encoding a 6700k is going to blow the 2600k out of the water.

As far as replacement parts go, the video cards will still work because all they care about is the slot. DDR3 ram will still be around for a while but we are moving over to DDR4. Really the main concern is if your motherboard broke you might have a hard time finding one that could take your 2600k but I'd say that you should cross that bridge when you come to it, at least as long as you can get stuff done without the computer for a while in case it does die on you.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Don Lapre posted:

Never forget

From The Googez:

http://www.dailytech.com/HIS+Unveils+Three+Concept+Radeons/article2762.htm

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

My concern isn't so much the speed of it as it is continuing to being able to find replacement / compatible parts for a 4 year old platform or games having a hardcoded check for a CPU id string and not letting it run on a 2XXX series CPU.

Why the worry about a game locking out a CPU like that? The only thing that has happened is that games have locked out based on the number of (virtual) cores the processor has and that's just because those game devs are lazy. I say if it ain't broke don't worry about and just upgrade when/if you actually need to.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

jumba posted:

Speaking of maintaining old systems in the face of progress, is it true that new Skylake processors reserve a significantly larger chuck of memory for hardware for 32-bit OS's than the predecessors from Intel? In a 32-bit OS environment (Windows 7/Windows 10) I'm used to seeing 3.4 Gb available out of 4. But on our new Skylake-CPU test systems w/32 bit Windows from Dell (64-bit OS is a no go due to legacy hardware drivers) it's only able to utilize 2 Gb out of 4.

For anyone who cares about my old problem, it turned out that a recent BIOS update from Dell allowed 32-bit Windows systems to now see 3.33 Gb out of 4.00 Gb (which is about what is expected). So nothing bad about Skylake processors, just poor Dell BIOS drivers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

jumba posted:

For anyone who cares about my old problem, it turned out that a recent BIOS update from Dell allowed 32-bit Windows systems to now see 3.33 Gb out of 4.00 Gb (which is about what is expected). So nothing bad about Skylake processors, just poor Dell BIOS drivers.

Sounds like they adjusted the BIOS's calculation / adjustment of TOLUD (Top of Lower Upper DRAM) during its resource / memory map allocation, but my real question is, why are you stuck with a 32-bit OS? Some particular piece of software?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Nobody's going to start locking out an incredibly popular CPU anytime soon. Since you said speed isn't a problem, you might as well hold on until the next generation.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HalloKitty posted:

My first Real Computer was a Pentium 4 craptop, and my first Real Desktop Computer was a Core 2 Duo shitbox with a bottom tier PCI graphics card. The oldest equipment I currently have to work on is Pentium 4 stuff with PCI slots.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

There were also some amd cards that were pci-e internally and had a built in agp bridge and wouldn't work with amds regular drivers.

I think you mean ATI :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

feedmegin posted:

I think you mean ATI :colbert:

sorry, it's a bit hard to remember all the companies that lost against nvidia/wintel :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone explain the Turbo Boost stuff to me. How does the CPU decide when to cut back on the overclocking? Simply on thermals? If so, sticking a big rear end cooler on the CPU should keep it in Turbo Mode under load for practically forever?