Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

angryhampster posted:

Sprayed the cheesy chrome grille on my Edge.

I might peel off the very top strip and leave it chrome.

Holy poo poo how big is that ford logo? It's the size of your numberplate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

I don't think you can get a stick in anything Audi and still get AWD.

Does the R8 not count?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

_firehawk posted:

Does the R8 not count?

Not really, in this context. Although I'm surprised you can get a mt in it at all. Most supercars are going to DSG type transmissions across the board it seems like.

Poking around on the Audi site, trying to build an R8 with a MT seems to be a no-go. Only the 7speed available. And holy hell I never realized how expensive the R8 is.

Ticking all the boxes brings it to 199,700. Welp, never gonna own one of those.

E: the base A3 lists for as much as the Golf R and only has a 1.4t. It also doesn't appear to have an AWD option.

Holy poo poo, they charge 575 for any color other than black on the S3. WTF.

An S3 with the exact options that I got on my R is 53k MSRP.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 10, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

veedubfreak posted:

An S3 with the exact options that I got on my R is 53k MSRP.
I'm not sure I've ever seen you post without referencing your R. We get it, you have a Golf R.

Audi will still briefly sell you an S4 with a stick, but the B9 won't have one. You used to be able to get an A4 quattro in MT as well but it looks as though that's now gone from their website.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Posted it before, but now it has wheels!

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

MasonF posted:

Man you have a sweet ride. Is the car in the garage yours too?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MasonF posted:

ohi mkii supra buddy. Nice banana you got there too, wheels look great.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
I finally got the correct lug caps so I could install my center caps. Have a picture of a dirty-rear end Trans AM!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

willroc7 posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen you post without referencing your R. We get it, you have a Golf R.

I enjoy that this is a comment made in the thread called Post your own ride

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Dislike button posted:

Better yet, willroc7's entire post history in this thread is about his own Audis & VWs. R-envy?

Content: My dad was in the market for something to replace his wife's '05 TSX they bought new that now has 170k miles on it, and in discussion we came up with the idea of a hot-hatch as being a good fit. He wanted something with a little more guts than the TSX (200hp, but not at 6,000 ft. elevation and even then only if you wring its neck at sea level) and as his wife is also prone to backing into things, something even smaller than the TSX would probably be a benefit.

So enter the Kia Forte5 SX, pictured below. 201hp/195tq out of a DI turbo 1.6 I4. Automatic was another requirement.

Why not GTI, you ask? Said Kia below is a '15 with 24k miles on it, and he got it for $17k + TTL. Any comparable GTI was going to be $8-10k more, with Autobahn models going for almost $30k.

Now he's looking into tunes for it, which I count as a personal success.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tremek posted:

Better yet, willroc7's entire post history in this thread is about his own Audis & VWs. R-envy?

Content: My dad was in the market for something to replace his wife's '05 TSX they bought new that now has 170k miles on it, and in discussion we came up with the idea of a hot-hatch as being a good fit. He wanted something with a little more guts than the TSX (200hp, but not at 6,000 ft. elevation and even then only if you wring its neck at sea level) and as his wife is also prone to backing into things, something even smaller than the TSX would probably be a benefit.

So enter the Kia Forte5 SX, pictured below. 201hp/195tq out of a DI turbo 1.6 I4. Automatic was another requirement.

Why not GTI, you ask? Said Kia below is a '15 with 24k miles on it, and he got it for $17k + TTL. Any comparable GTI was going to be $8-10k more, with Autobahn models going for almost $30k.

http://www.shopbtr.com/ECU-Tune_c_419.html

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dislike button posted:

Was going to say the same thing.

It's actually been above freezing long enough this week that most of the snow is gone and the roads are dry enough to have the caR stay clean for more than a day. Gave it a nice wash only to discover some piece of poo poo apparently dropped something against my rear quarter panel leaving a bunch of 1-2 foot long scratches going from mid c pillar all the way to the bottom of the bumper. I'm hoping it'll buff out, but it's always nice to have people reinforce your hatred of their existence by trying to have nice things.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Those wheels look like flowers. Paint the lip green and the inside yellow.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Cage posted:

Those wheels look like flowers. Paint the lip green and the inside yellow.

He may succumb to the cult of Plastidip on those. Black wheels on a red hatch looks pretty good. PS, the car is filthy in that picture - he had driven straight from Chicago (where he picked up the car) to Denver and stopped by our house before heading home. He told me he waxed it yesterday so I'll try to get some better pics soon.

I drove it when he brought it by and while it's not a rocketship (and tbqh my butt-dyno is completely ruined by anything less than like ... 500hp now...) it clearly can get out of its own way and rides nicely. I think it will be a good car for them for a long time. Oh, it's CPO too, and the back seat might actually have more legroom than my wagon. Really good packaging.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Fortes are indeed pretty cool cars for the money. Good on them for still giving you the option of a stick shift, too.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Tremek posted:

:flame:

Come now, I've done some pretty mediocre shitposting as well.

I actually passed on a Golf R in favor of the S4 I have now. Pretty happy with the decision since it was significantly cheaper and, you know, has a V8 and a proper AWD system.

In hindsight, however, perhaps I should have saved my angsty callout post for any other thread :v:.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tremek posted:

Nice. My wife's '08 Spectra5 with 138HP/136Tq (5-speed) is fun enough to drive. I imagine 201/195 might be more entertaining, though I imagine the Forte weighs a bit more, just because that's how things seem to go with newer models.

edit: 2886lb for the spec5, 2970 for the Forte5, not bad. Also the forte has a 6-speed in the manual. If the engine is anything like the Spectra's, I hope either the final drive is higher, or top gear is more overdrive. It always feels like the spectra could use another gear - it feels like it's screaming, and it has plenty of lower RPM torque for it's size. It's a long-rod 2.0 - redline is only about 5K RPM.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2016

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
So my wife wanted a new car. She had an X6 which I thought was ugly. I didn't think she could find anything uglier. I was wrong.

It's now a 1,000+ hp garage. Still like mine better :colbert:

But hey, at least hers sounds good!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

PenisMonkey posted:

So my wife wanted a new car. She had an X6 which I thought was ugly. I didn't think she could find anything uglier. I was wrong.

I was following a GS(?) 63S, and can confirm. It sounded great.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

Congrats, I'm sure that thing is a blast even if it's of, uh, questionable styling. We have a similar configuration.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did the Mercedes marketing team send her a card for confirming that there is a market for X6-shaped vehicles?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

kimbo305 posted:

Did the Mercedes marketing team send her a card for confirming that there is a market for X6-shaped vehicles?

I don't know, man. I try telling her that the rear visibility is poo poo and there is no utility in her "SUV". I guess there is a market for useless 100k cars.

It is really loving nice inside, though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PenisMonkey posted:

I think this might be my new favorite AI garage. How's the rear headroom in the GLE? Have you had a drag race between it and the M3?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I sat in back during the test drive and had plenty of room. I'm 6' 1". No races yet and I have yet to drive the GLE. It'll happen one day and I'll make an exhaust video.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Go stalk one of these in the AMG and report back, I haven't found one yet to terrorize while driving the wife's car. :black101:

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Tremek posted:

Go stalk one of these in the AMG and report back, I haven't found one yet to terrorize while driving the wife's car. :black101:

Don't count it out. I kinda do have access to one (and an M6).

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

Don't count it out. I kinda do have access to one (and an M6).

That's awesome. I got to run a tuned '14 ML63 at our local strip while in my -V and he was not slow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dh8euYyqzY

My buddy also got a video of my wife running a Z06 where she rank a 13.2 stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FjBmh0l2qs

- But I think her best last year was 13.0x at 107 - this was before I put a tune on it, so agreed, it's probably very close. Consider that all these times have an easy +1 second added due to 6000' elevation and DAs in the 8-9k on typical drag nights.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Tremek posted:

That's awesome. I got to run a tuned '14 ML63 at our local strip while in my -V and he was not slow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dh8euYyqzY

My buddy also got a video of my wife running a Z06 where she rank a 13.2 stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FjBmh0l2qs

- But I think her best last year was 13.0x at 107 - this was before I put a tune on it, so agreed, it's probably very close. Consider that all these times have an easy +1 second added due to 6000' elevation and DAs in the 8-9k on typical drag nights.

I haven't been to a strip yet. I doubt the wife would let me take her car. She keeps it in "old person mode" as she calls it and absolutely hates fun.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

I haven't been to a strip yet. I doubt the wife would let me take her car. She keeps it in "old person mode" as she calls it and absolutely hates fun.

I ... have no words. :(

Maybe show this to her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpV3xYGqh9k

THIS IS HOW YOU WANT YOUR ATTACK ARMADILLO TO SOUND

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Tremek posted:

I ... have no words. :(

Maybe show this to her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpV3xYGqh9k

THIS IS HOW YOU WANT YOUR ATTACK ARMADILLO TO SOUND

I actually did show her that as a way of hinting that the X6M was the better choice. She wasn't having any of it. The only reason she had an X6 to begin with is because she liked the style so when the GLE came out she had to have one because she "always wanted a Mercedes and it HAS to have a V8." So, welp, there was her only criteria for a car.

Hers doesn't even have a HUD.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

I actually did show her that as a way of hinting that the X6M was the better choice. She wasn't having any of it. The only reason she had an X6 to begin with is because she liked the style so when the GLE came out she had to have one because she "always wanted a Mercedes and it HAS to have a V8." So, welp, there was her only criteria for a car.

Hers doesn't even have a HUD.

Motor Trend was using that blue X6M as the crew/camera car at the Virginia City Hillclimb this year and Jonny Lieberman had nothing but good things to say about it. I tried to convince him to run it on the Hill but they ran out of time. I bet he could have beaten the time I ran in the -V with the X6M. Both the GLE and that thing are ridiculous.

Here's to the Concurs d'Stupid!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
She wouldn't even sit in an X6M let alone drive one. It's sad to know those 577 horses will never be used by her.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

She wouldn't even sit in an X6M let alone drive one. It's sad to know those 577 horses will never be used by her.

Not meant in an insulting way, but - was this a status-buy?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Tremek posted:

Not meant in an insulting way, but - was this a status-buy?

Nope. She really likes that style for some reason and is fixated on V8s. It doesn't matter how much hp it has as long as it has 8 cylinders. Why? Not a clue.

When I met her she was driving a 2001 Jetta. Then she had a 2009 CRV, a 2012 RX 350, the 2015 X6, and now this. She wasn't fixated on cylinder count before; I don't know what started it last year.

I did overhear her tell the salesman during the test drive she wants the biggest engine before we are all forced to drive electric cars. She was probably serious.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
The V8, how you say, has a certain... eh... vibration.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just can't wrap my head around someone who doesn't care at all about power or performance but wants to put around getting 14mpg anyway.

Edit: Wait, please tell me it has cylinder deactivation and that old person mode you described runs it with only 4 cylinders.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nope, old person mode being comfort mode.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PenisMonkey posted:

Nope. She really likes that style for some reason and is fixated on V8s. It doesn't matter how much hp it has as long as it has 8 cylinders. Why? Not a clue.

When I met her she was driving a 2001 Jetta. Then she had a 2009 CRV, a 2012 RX 350, the 2015 X6, and now this. She wasn't fixated on cylinder count before; I don't know what started it last year.

I did overhear her tell the salesman during the test drive she wants the biggest engine before we are all forced to drive electric cars. She was probably serious.

Waaaaaaaiiiiit. Are you the guy who's wife won't ride along in his Focus ST because that's a car for poors?

Link

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PenisMonkey posted:

She wasn't fixated on cylinder count before; I don't know what started it last year.

Well, I can think of one thing that happened last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My wife legit does the V8 salute at the M3. And in other situations, as needed.