Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My eyes still roll out of my head at the idea that using your quirk to defend yourself in a life or death situation still gets you in deep poo poo with the law. Wouldn't be like that in America :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This observation is a chapter late but I really liked how Gristle McThornbody carries around multiple fake eyes and switches them out according to his mood. It's the kinda "Dumb" little detail that humanizes an otherwise straightforward psychopathic beefy guy.

Anyway, geez, Deku putting everything into this fight. Although it's occasionally a bit uncomfortable to watch, I actually like how much wear and tear his ability puts him through. Although it's fine used sparingly, having a hero suddenly grow more powerful than their opponent due to emotional stimulus is a common crutch some writers use over and over again with their boys (or girls) no worse for the wear. I don't think it's being abused here, nor do I think we're yet in danger of it being abused, but it's good to know Deku slams the win button it's not without consequences.

Shigaraki was interesting this chapter, Dabi was cool, Aizawa was cool.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

My eyes still roll out of my head at the idea that using your quirk to defend yourself in a life or death situation still gets you in deep poo poo with the law. Wouldn't be like that in America :clint:

They are now authorized to use the varia suit- I mean their quirks.

Just noticed your new avatar, it's very good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Thanks.

I've been a bit busy his week, since I got it, so I haven't been posting too much.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't think they'd've gotten punished for using their quirks either way. However, there's a big difference between believing "I don't think I'll be punished" and being told "Go wild".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The students used their quirks to fight back at the USJ and they weren't even being explicitly targeted for death.

Anyway- Midoriya ALWAYS had the power to win; it's made clear that he has probably one of the strongest quirks on the planet. It's just what price he's willing to pay to win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That was class A only and they were on school grounds with teachers when it happened. Its still a bit silly but makes a bit more sense that a teacher would explicitly tell the students who might be indecisive due to it being an emergency

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Jose posted:

That was class A only and they were on school grounds with teachers when it happened. Its still a bit silly but makes a bit more sense that a teacher would explicitly tell the students who might be indecisive due to it being an emergency
Always good to make things explicit to the people without authority.

It's also useful to tell people who aren't quite involved yet (like say the students in remedial) that "poo poo has gotten real, this is a life or death situation."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh Deku I don't think that Doctor Doom drop kick you just did obeys the laws of physics.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fabricated posted:

The students used their quirks to fight back at the USJ and they weren't even being explicitly targeted for death.

Anyway- Midoriya ALWAYS had the power to win; it's made clear that he has probably one of the strongest quirks on the planet. It's just what price he's willing to pay to win.

I'd compare his quirk to the Kaioken of DBZ in that regard; yes, it means he has more power to tap into from the start, but the reader has a rough guide as to what the additional power will cost him, in pushing it beyond a comfortable limit.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Genocyber posted:

They are now authorized to use the varia suit- I mean their quirks.

I mean, this is a real thing - Other M and this both run off the exact same cultural sterotyping. In Japan, even if you are authorized to have a firearm as a policeman, you have to be explicitly told that it is authorized to make use of said firearm. This applies even in life or death situations where there is literally no choice besides to use the firearm. If you do not have this permission, you are expected to find some other way, or die. And making use of it in a situation where you will die otherwise will still get you very harsh punishments.

So yeah. There is a very real cultural belief that using unauthorized weapons to save yourself, be they a varia suit or quirks you were born with is still a crime. A major one even.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Astro Nut posted:

I'd compare his quirk to the Kaioken of DBZ in that regard; yes, it means he has more power to tap into from the start, but the reader has a rough guide as to what the additional power will cost him, in pushing it beyond a comfortable limit.

That's a good comparison in theory but DBZ and "long term consequences" don't really fit together very well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not a lot seemed to happen this chapter, unfortunately, Hopefully it goes into some of the various concurrent battles next chapter.

KittyEmpress posted:

I mean, this is a real thing - Other M and this both run off the exact same cultural sterotyping. In Japan, even if you are authorized to have a firearm as a policeman, you have to be explicitly told that it is authorized to make use of said firearm. This applies even in life or death situations where there is literally no choice besides to use the firearm. If you do not have this permission, you are expected to find some other way, or die. And making use of it in a situation where you will die otherwise will still get you very harsh punishments.

So yeah. There is a very real cultural belief that using unauthorized weapons to save yourself, be they a varia suit or quirks you were born with is still a crime. A major one even.

To be fair, there are definitely some very good reasons to do things like that. While it's easy to come up with situations where it's harmful, it's just as easy to come up with ones where it can prevent a bunch of unnecessary violence/death. Having that punishment in place means that, at least in theory, people/law enforcement will generally only be willing to use firearms if they absolutely have no choice, and even though it sucks if they get some punishment for using them in a necessary situation, it sucks a lot less than someone getting shot/killed.

To put it another way, I'd rather 10 people get fired or something than 1 person get shot because someone was feeling trigger happy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

KittyEmpress posted:

A lot of countries that aren't the US don't tend to have a "murder at first opportunity" policy when it comes to conflict dangerous situations in general. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ytlaya posted:

Not a lot seemed to happen this chapter, unfortunately, Hopefully it goes into some of the various concurrent battles next chapter.

To be fair, there are definitely some very good reasons to do things like that. While it's easy to come up with situations where it's harmful, it's just as easy to come up with ones where it can prevent a bunch of unnecessary violence/death. Having that punishment in place means that, at least in theory, people/law enforcement will generally only be willing to use firearms if they absolutely have no choice, and even though it sucks if they get some punishment for using them in a necessary situation, it sucks a lot less than someone getting shot/killed.

To put it another way, I'd rather 10 people get fired or something than 1 person get shot because someone was feeling trigger happy.

Oh, yeah, that's super right, I don't disagree with this at all. It's a good policy. Just people were making jokes about forcing people to not use their quirks in a deadly situation. There's a reason for it, and I felt like that reason should be noted.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Korean spoilers out.

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/619301

the severed arm belonged to Shouji.

Tokoyami's shadow is utterly losing its poo poo and he can't control it.

Bakugou is the primary target. And cenobite's quirk is really weird.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

Korean spoilers out.

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/619301

the severed arm belonged to Shouji.

Tokoyami's shadow is utterly losing its poo poo and he can't control it.

Bakugou is the primary target. And cenobite's quirk is really weird.

I like that the gas mask villain, upon realizing that someone's coming for him, just pulls out a gun. After all the craziness we've seen, a gun coming out is kind of funny in a way. (Probably not going to accomplish much since it's being fired at Iron*4, though.)

What's the deal with Spinner throwing a knife at his ally or whatever there? He seems to graze his friend's face with it (pissing him off, understandably), then start lecturing him before Mandalay hits him.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably something to do with "Stain having judged Deku worthy, by his decree, you won't touch him," that sort of thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably something to do with "Stain having judged Deku worthy, by his decree, you won't touch him," that sort of thing.

Exactly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's about what I was expecting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm happy that it looks like Shouji will be getting a fight. Because I like his design and am interested in seeing what he can do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kind of hoping things eventually work out for Spinner. He's just such a lovably ridiculous dork.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of hoping things eventually work out for Spinner. He's just such a lovably ridiculous dork.

he's going to meet his idol and Stain is going to call him a Nerd and shove him in a locker.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wonder what's causing Tokoyami's powers to rage out of control?

Also I really like how Deku keeps getting put in situations where he has to team up with a different classmate, it's a really good way to give everyone some spotlight.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Tokoyami mentioned that his shadow becomes stronger and more aggressive when it's in the dark. It's night, they're out in the countryside, and one of the villain crew is spreading smoke everywhere which would obscure any moonlight, so it's probably much darker now than Tokoyami is used to.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
One villain is still unaccounted for, so it's possible he's messing with Tokoyami's power. Somehow.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

Also I really like how Deku keeps getting put in situations where he has to team up with a different classmate, it's a really good way to give everyone some spotlight.

Jo Joestar posted:

Tokoyami mentioned that his shadow becomes stronger and more aggressive when it's in the dark. It's night, they're out in the countryside, and one of the villain crew is spreading smoke everywhere which would obscure any moonlight, so it's probably much darker now than Tokoyami is used to.

LostRook posted:

One villain is still unaccounted for, so it's possible he's messing with Tokoyami's power. Somehow.

According to Shoji, Tokoyami was keeping his power under control, but when he saved Shoji from Moonfish (Bondage Dude with Teeth Blades), it acted as a trigger that set his power free to run rampant.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yo the dude doing osteokinesis with his teeth is loving metal as hell

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
RE: Chapter 77
Such. A. Good. Chapter.

It had everything. Eraserhead being super good, new cool quirks, Midoriya being heroic as gently caress and drop kicking a sword made out of swords into splinters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I like that the gas mask villain, upon realizing that someone's coming for him, just pulls out a gun. After all the craziness we've seen, a gun coming out is kind of funny in a way. (Probably not going to accomplish much since it's being fired at Iron*4, though.)
It's weirdly pragmatic given the entire series so far. but it is nice seeing villains that don't just rely on their gimmicks when there are other alternatives available.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Brought To You By posted:

It's weirdly pragmatic given the entire series so far. but it is nice seeing villains that don't just rely on their gimmicks when there are other alternatives available.
The best part: I know it's gonna be useless because gas-guy managed to point a gun at one of the two students who it'd be useless against, but when he pulls the gun he says something to the effect of, "No matter how exceptional the quirk...in the end you're still only human."

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he can just shoot the gas mask

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter's up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The best part: I know it's gonna be useless because gas-guy managed to point a gun at one of the two students who it'd be useless against, but when he pulls the gun he says something to the effect of, "No matter how exceptional the quirk...in the end you're still only human."

It's kind of funny, but a submachine gun would be able to defeat the vast majority of people, hero or not. Unless they're super fast or have something that gives them high durability, there's nothing they can do about someone firing a gun at them from a distance.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The scariest thing about Tokoyami is his teeth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, someone who looked at the raws said that it was Shouji's arm that was lost, but, looking at this here, A. That still doesn't look like one of Shouji's appendages, and B. His wounded tentacle is on his left side, while that's a right arm down there. We can see that Shouji still has his right arm, meanwhile, but we don't get a good look at Tokoyami's, and losing his arm is the perfect setup for him losing control. It's even what the dialog here seems to suggest; "We were ambushed by one of the villains. I covered for him, but..." [Something bad happened, presumably; this is where the shot of the severed arm is put, meanwhile.] "It triggered the quirk he was" blah blah blah. Unless it was just getting ambushed that somehow freaked Tokoyami out so much, that is actually his arm down there, at least going by what we see and this translation; were the raws more explicit in it being Shouji's arm or something? Because it really doesn't seem like it's his based on what we're seeing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Shouji's quirk is he can grow any body part he has on his tentacles, so who knows.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the arm looked way to small to be shoiji's.

Losing an arm (and being pitch blackness in the dead of night) would also explain pretty well why/how tokoyami has lost loving control.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NecroMonster posted:

the arm looked way to small to be shoiji's.

Losing an arm (and being pitch blackness in the dead of night) would also explain pretty well why/how tokoyami has lost loving control.

Someone's getting a shadow arm out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
If Tokoyami becomes Hiei, I'd be super down for that.