Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If Amanda's actions have lead to the permanent end of the "Lip is in love with his professor" storyline then she's good with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dr. Abysmal posted:

If Amanda's actions have lead to the permanent end of the "Lip is in love with his professor" storyline then she's good with me.

I can def agree with this. Love the actress but that plot has gone exactly nowhere.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

esperterra posted:

I can def agree with this. Love the actress but that plot has gone exactly nowhere.

Lip looking at a lot of paintings has really given him character depth.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

I think maybe they're toying that he's falling in love with her, which would be an interesting character development, as he's always done what (and who) he wanted to do relationship-wise, which isn't love.
I will admit it is a bit slow though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Oh god, just hit me that Mickey is going to get out of Prison and find Ian dating a black guy

Specifically dating is what will set him off I bet.

He won't be eligible for parole for 15 years based on what he said in the premiere. He show would have to do something ridiculously contrived to get him out of prison during the timeframe of the remaining seasons of the show, especially given he is doing time for attempted murder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Contrived is kind what shameless is built around so probably.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Lord Bude posted:

He won't be eligible for parole for 15 years based on what he said in the premiere. He show would have to do something ridiculously contrived to get him out of prison during the timeframe of the remaining seasons of the show, especially given he is doing time for attempted murder.
Meh, no matter what they pull out of their rear end it'll never top Jimmy being alive.

Maybe the new yuppie neighbourhood starts complaining about the prison, it makes the neighbourhood unsafe etc, so the state just closes it down and releases everyone due to overcrowding at the other prisons. Unrealistic as gently caress, but based on poo poo that does happen.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I could see a prison escape. He'd have to stay low, but we rarely see cops in these episodes now.
Actually that's sort of a neat dynamic if Ian joined the fire fighters (or better - the Police, but he'd never pass any background checks anyway).

Ian being torn between a fellon on the run, and a hero fire fighter.

VVV Yeah, that's sort of more where I was trying to go with it. Someone on his level makes more sense. I didn't really consider the other girls "love" - they were more just girlfriends. He'd probably do just about anything for Helene at this point (like killing off her husband) VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 9, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kragger99 posted:

I think maybe they're toying that he's falling in love with her, which would be an interesting character development, as he's always done what (and who) he wanted to do relationship-wise, which isn't love.
I will admit it is a bit slow though.

Amanda was like the only girl he DIDN'T fall for so far on the show. If anything this is just showcasing Lip in love in a situation where he isn't the one in control. Nearly all of Lip's storylines have been about him falling in love and it not working out because he's too late, or too stubborn to admit it.

e: I think this was mostly to have Lip explore a relationship with somebody as intelligent as him

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 9, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Prison! Got arrested at the same time as Mickey for shooting at him in broad daylight.

Oh right. So much happens in this show I forget whole swaths of storyline

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I haven't been to a lot of professional conferences before, are things like that normal? It seemed like a bit of a dick move since it pretty much invalidated her presentation

It's a dick move but IME there is a nonzero number of people at any given academic conference who will take any chance to do something like that. That guy's entire attitude was 100% true to life.

Also, unless that conference is unusual, the paper she was presenting was finished and sent off to the printer at least a month or two ago (and probably was submitted for review a few months before that) so there is no way that research a few weeks old could be expected to be included. This fact would absolutely not affect That Guy's attitude though.

withak fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 9, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

withak posted:

It's a dick move but IME there is a nonzero number of people at any given academic conference who will take any chance to do something like that. That guy's entire attitude was 100% true to life.

Also, unless that conference is unusual, the paper she was presenting was finished and sent off to the printer at least a month or two ago (and probably was submitted for review a few months before that) so there is no way that research a few weeks old could be expected to be included. This fact would absolutely not affect That Guy's attitude though.

I think the point still stands that had she not been loving around with lip she would have caught that before going up to present.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Holyshoot posted:

I think the point still stands that had she not been loving around with lip she would have caught that before going up to present.

The payoff to that whole plot thread cements it, had she not been distracted with Lip she'd not be staring down the Board about to probably get probated or fired. If there's one constant in this show, it's that every Gallagher, no matter how "good" or well-meaning they are, will inevitably gently caress up somebody's life and drag them down into the muck. Probably while also loving up their own life in the process.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

King Vidiot posted:

If there's one constant in this show, it's that every Gallagher, no matter how "good" or well-meaning they are, will inevitably gently caress up somebody's life and drag them down into the muck. Probably while also loving up their own life in the process.

I'm waiting for Fiona to gently caress up Shaun's life somehow. Like they go on a bender some weekend while he has his kid or something and the kid and Liam shoot someone with a gun they found in Carls stash. But showing them having a family pillowfight alludes to a happily ever after scenario.

On the same note, has Ian finally found his calling as a firefighter and he'll end up with the artist fireman?

Debbie's loving her life. Not sure where that's going to go. I was a little creeped out by the :pedo: plotline.

Is that girl Carl likes going to make a move on the big dude Carl hangs around with? Is this going to cause a fight and either Carl goes back to prison or decides to stop acting like a wannabe gangster?

Lip was looking though that book Amanda first gave him, maybe they'll end up together and he'll work with her dad. Assuming this is the last season.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

They've signed on for a 7th season, but that isn't out of the realm of possibility.

The refugee kids were an unexpected plot twist for me and I'm curious where that goes.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

Lip was looking though that book Amanda first gave him, maybe they'll end up together and he'll work with her dad. Assuming this is the last season.

That was the Klimt book the teacher gave him in the beginning of the episode.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Morales posted:

I'm waiting for Fiona to gently caress up Shaun's life somehow. Like they go on a bender some weekend while he has his kid or something and the kid and Liam shoot someone with a gun they found in Carls stash. But showing them having a family pillowfight alludes to a happily ever after scenario.

On the same note, has Ian finally found his calling as a firefighter and he'll end up with the artist fireman?

Debbie's loving her life. Not sure where that's going to go. I was a little creeped out by the :pedo: plotline.

Is that girl Carl likes going to make a move on the big dude Carl hangs around with? Is this going to cause a fight and either Carl goes back to prison or decides to stop acting like a wannabe gangster?

I was hoping the big dude would stay quiet and mousy all season, then eventually go beast mode on somebody threatening the Ghallagers livelihood, earning a place in the family. That or become Chucky's super protective pseudo-guardian because a talkative child neo nazi and a giant silent felon would be a great pairing. Frank could milk that combo for sympathy for years.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Surprised no one's talking about Svetlana's little speech to Fiona about what it takes to get ahead in America.... :huh: :fap: :a2m:

And her end goal is a Quizno's franchise? Interesting.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Hard to take any of the sociological elements seriously when the show abandons it for comedic purposes any time it gets truly interesting.

It's also getting harder and harder to like Fiona. Her hard stance on not taking money from Carl is asinine. She's taken plenty of illegally gained money from other people for less dire situations but she was willing to literally let everyone go homeless instead of taking it? And the hard stance with Debbie, she's literally had every character tell her she's going about it the wrong way. Even though at this point I'd give anything to just have Deb disappear for a few years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Those elements haven't existed since season three. It's just a soap opera that only knows misery.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Those elements haven't existed since season three. It's just a soap opera that only knows misery.

not enough Joan Cusack

and even as awesome as she was it eventually got a little tired. still a good show.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Botnit posted:

Hard to take any of the sociological elements seriously when the show abandons it for comedic purposes any time it gets truly interesting.

It's also getting harder and harder to like Fiona. Her hard stance on not taking money from Carl is asinine. She's taken plenty of illegally gained money from other people for less dire situations but she was willing to literally let everyone go homeless instead of taking it? And the hard stance with Debbie, she's literally had every character tell her she's going about it the wrong way. Even though at this point I'd give anything to just have Deb disappear for a few years.

The thing is that she's not their mother, so I think she's more likely to be a stubborn bitch to them when they're loving up their lives (whether that's right or wrong). I mean clearly she loves them all and has essentially been their mother, but she's not going to be a doormat and it's much easier to tell your siblings like it is than your child.

Also I would probably slap debbie so hard if I were Fiona so yeah I get it lol

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

VH4Ever posted:

Surprised no one's talking about Svetlana's little speech to Fiona about what it takes to get ahead in America.... :huh: :fap: :a2m:

And her end goal is a Quizno's franchise? Interesting.

Svetlana is quickly becoming my favorite character

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The thing is that she's not their mother, so I think she's more likely to be a stubborn bitch to them when they're loving up their lives (whether that's right or wrong). I mean clearly she loves them all and has essentially been their mother, but she's not going to be a doormat and it's much easier to tell your siblings like it is than your child.

Also I would probably slap debbie so hard if I were Fiona so yeah I get it lol

Let's not forget Debbie lied to her boyfriend that she was on the pill specifically to have a baby with him. He was not in on this plan, and he and his family freaked out and shipped him off to Florida . Not that that isn't also a lovely thing to do, but Deb is being extremely loving stupid and naive. If I were her parent I would call her out on it too. I mean, maybe not in quite as harsh terms as Fiona.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pahuyuth posted:

Svetlana is quickly becoming my favorite character

poo poo, she became my favourite the second they decided to keep her on. Like so long as Svetlana stays til the end I don't care if they eventually run everything else into the ground.

That said I have no big complaints about this year beyond Debbie making no sense. Her age or how old she looks doesn't bother me with her character having sex and being pregnant, I just find it really ill fitting to have taken her character in the 'get myself pregnant on purpose' direction. Like of course she's a Gallagher and being one of the smart ones doesn't make her exempt from loving up, but goddamn.

Debbie pregnancy scare would have been fine by me without her going out of her way to be that creepy chick who lies about birth control.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I don't really think you can legitimately analyze anyone's behavior in this show, it has no rhyme or reason for why some things are played straightly comedic with no weight or randomly played super dramatic.

But if you really want to analyze Deb's behavior then it still falls back on Fiona in the end. She's been an absolute poo poo parent/role model to Deb. From the first episode Fiona admitted she only dated poo poo men because they were "exciting". She has led a steady stream of scum bag men in and out of Deb's (and the entire family's) life. She literally brought Jimmy Steve home after one date and accepted, with everyone knowing where it came from, new washing machines/dryers from his life of crime. She followed that up with marrying a man after a week, cheating on him and separating within a few days.

Fiona has completely molded Deb into being the hosed up, fear of abandonment creature she's turned out to be.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Botnit posted:

I don't really think you can legitimately analyze anyone's behavior in this show, it has no rhyme or reason for why some things are played straightly comedic with no weight or randomly played super dramatic.

But if you really want to analyze Deb's behavior then it still falls back on Fiona in the end. She's been an absolute poo poo parent/role model to Deb. From the first episode Fiona admitted she only dated poo poo men because they were "exciting". She has led a steady stream of scum bag men in and out of Deb's (and the entire family's) life. She literally brought Jimmy Steve home after one date and accepted, with everyone knowing where it came from, new washing machines/dryers from his life of crime. She followed that up with marrying a man after a week, cheating on him and separating within a few days.

Fiona has completely molded Deb into being the hosed up, fear of abandonment creature she's turned out to be.

Not to mention that Debs used to be the responsible one in the family when she was a kid, so it makes sense that now that she's a teenager, she feels like an adult, or at least able to make adult decisions.

Plus a lot of messed up teen girls want to have a baby really young because they want someone to love them unconditionally. As much as I hate Deb being this loving stupid when she was the smart one, I actually think the storyline is realistic.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pellisworth posted:

Let's not forget Debbie lied to her boyfriend that she was on the pill specifically to have a baby with him. He was not in on this plan, and he and his family freaked out and shipped him off to Florida . Not that that isn't also a lovely thing to do, but Deb is being extremely loving stupid and naive. If I were her parent I would call her out on it too. I mean, maybe not in quite as harsh terms as Fiona.

here's the thing I don't get about the whole scenario, her boyfriend's family came to the Gallaghers to discuss it and Deb had several conversations with them and she was told straight up "you made this decision alone and he didn't like that, so you hosed up the relationship yourself". Now maybe I missed something at the end of last season but I thought the reason Deb wanted to get pregnant was because she wanted to be brought into that family and away from the Gallaghers. So with that closed off now why continue forward with having the baby? Fiona was dead right when she said that the only person on her side was Frank and that alone should be a huge red flag that she wasn't making the right decision.

But while we are on the talks of pregnancies when the hell is Fiona going to get her abortion? She keeps putting it off it seems, are we really going the direction of two new Gallagher additions?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Not to mention that Debs used to be the responsible one in the family when she was a kid, so it makes sense that now that she's a teenager, she feels like an adult, or at least able to make adult decisions.

Plus a lot of messed up teen girls want to have a baby really young because they want someone to love them unconditionally. As much as I hate Deb being this loving stupid when she was the smart one, I actually think the storyline is realistic.

That's where I could see the pregnancy storyline and her wanting to keep it working. I like all of that just fine for Deb. It's really just the 'I got pregnant on purpose' part that rubs me the wrong way with her.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Hasn't Debbie always been a little nuts for babies/little kids? She stole that spiderman kid a few seasons ago and loved being in charge of their summer day care thing.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Aces High posted:

But while we are on the talks of pregnancies when the hell is Fiona going to get her abortion? She keeps putting it off it seems, are we really going the direction of two new Gallagher additions?

This is why I have lost all sympathy for Fiona. Straw that broke the camel's back and whatnot. Fiona is trying to force Debbie into an abortion, when she herself can't even go ahead with her own. I know Debbie is only 15 and all, but Carl is doing serious illegal poo poo right out of juvie and Fiona does not care in the least. Plus she is going SO badly about it. We can have our abortions together? Said in that really happy and excited tone? Like manicures, pedicures, and then a quick abortion. Really?

The problem with Shameless is that as entertaining as it is to watch, and realistic to characters with said upbringing, it is really hard to continue rooting for people who keep sabotaging themselves over and over again. With that said, Svetlana is by far my favourite character. Although Kev has been on point this season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kitiara posted:

This is why I have lost all sympathy for Fiona. Straw that broke the camel's back and whatnot. Fiona is trying to force Debbie into an abortion, when she herself can't even go ahead with her own. I know Debbie is only 15 and all, but Carl is doing serious illegal poo poo right out of juvie and Fiona does not care in the least.

I get the feeling that she's basically given up on Carl.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Fiona's character seems to have made a huge 180 over the last few seasons. I can't remember what season it was, but right after she won custody/legal guardianship of the kids she stopped living there and was spending more time with her then boyfriend (Cup guy?). I didn't get that at all; she spent the entire previous season trying to get guardianship but as soon as the next season rolled around she was spending all this time away from them. I think that's when the cracks really started forming and Debbie was basically the main caregiver to Liam/Carl.

Debbie's been taking care of kids for as long as I can remember on the show so I guess the logic there make a bit of sense in a hosed up way. "I want consistency and love, but don't know how to go about it. Oh, I know! I'll get knocked up!" Teen logic never ceases to amaze me.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wow there's been some crazy poo poo in this show but that went to a really dark place, ugh

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
Meh, it's weird that they reversed the impact of losing the house so quickly. I'm not sad to see Lip's relationship end, but are they going to explain Helene's comment about killing her husband?
Other weird things:
We're supposed to believe that Carl earned a hundred grand (plus whatever he already blew on hotels and stuff) selling guns at school in, like, a month?
Ian, who has actually been on at least one date on the show (meeting Ned for happy hour)--and who used Ned kissing him to nudge Mickey to do the same--is going to be not just nervous about a date, but an alien who has never before encountered the concept of a date? Ian, who made friends with his A-list clients and did once know how to dress himself?

I like the idea that Ian would find some kind of new ambition, and firefighting actually fits with what we know about the character's interests (whether or not it's realistic that he could become a firefighter in Chicago with no high school diploma, an ongoing mental illness, and a dishonorable discharge). But I wish the writers would skip trying to retcon the past. It can make sense for Ian and Mickey to break up, and it can make sense for Ian to find a new relationship, but they have to make it work in within the characterizations and events that the show established. We don't have any good sense of what Ian's thinking, and the show has him so isolated (and his character is so quiet) that we don't get much exposition via talking with other characters. It's lazy writing to just pretend that his behavior is inconsistent because he's bipolar.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Never you mind posted:

Meh, it's weird that they reversed the impact of losing the house so quickly. I'm not sad to see Lip's relationship end, but are they going to explain Helene's comment about killing her husband?
Other weird things:
We're supposed to believe that Carl earned a hundred grand (plus whatever he already blew on hotels and stuff) selling guns at school in, like, a month?
Ian, who has actually been on at least one date on the show (meeting Ned for happy hour)--and who used Ned kissing him to nudge Mickey to do the same--is going to be not just nervous about a date, but an alien who has never before encountered the concept of a date? Ian, who made friends with his A-list clients and did once know how to dress himself?

I like the idea that Ian would find some kind of new ambition, and firefighting actually fits with what we know about the character's interests (whether or not it's realistic that he could become a firefighter in Chicago with no high school diploma, an ongoing mental illness, and a dishonorable discharge). But I wish the writers would skip trying to retcon the past. It can make sense for Ian and Mickey to break up, and it can make sense for Ian to find a new relationship, but they have to make it work in within the characterizations and events that the show established. We don't have any good sense of what Ian's thinking, and the show has him so isolated (and his character is so quiet) that we don't get much exposition via talking with other characters. It's lazy writing to just pretend that his behavior is inconsistent because he's bipolar.

He was also running a protection racket of some sort, extorting money from local businesses.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Never you mind posted:

Other weird things:

Dating for ulterior motives and dating for real can make you act different I would think. Your motives can easily make you act different when doing the same thing.

So sad what happened to carls brother from another mother but it had to end I guess. And it's totally possible to make that much. Gun business can be good ask sons of anarchy :v: .

Gus is totally in the right he doesn't owe fiona poo poo and shes a giant poo poo bag of a person despite what she thinks. I hope she gets her act together but I doubt it. I am also hoping she stays firm on Debbie being dead to her when that idiot of a girl has her kid but I also highly doubt that. I also love Kevs no accidental bar success he has going on. And Svetlana is also now my favorite person. Her quote at the start of the episode was amazing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Wow there's been some crazy poo poo in this show but that went to a really dark place, ugh

It was nice that they decided to make Carl's story serious, but that was really heartbreaking and I was waiting for the kicker where it wasn't even the right bike or the kid had earned it legitimately. Carl telling him to think about the farm was :smith:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This episode was just so much :smith:

Carl's narrative right now is balancing the perfect amount of fun comedy and emotion shattering drama. When he showed up at Sean's place... gently caress man. That actor is killing it this season.

I got choked up when he showed up with that bag of cash. Family doing the hard poo poo for family gets me good. Hit real close to home.

They better not kill off Carl, but I feel like that might happen this season :(

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Holyshoot posted:

Gus is totally in the right he doesn't owe fiona poo poo and shes a giant poo poo bag of a person despite what she thinks. I hope she gets her act together but I doubt it. I am also hoping she stays firm on Debbie being dead to her when that idiot of a girl has her kid but I also highly doubt that. I also love Kevs no accidental bar success he has going on. And Svetlana is also now my favorite person. Her quote at the start of the episode was amazing.

I don't think we were supposed to think otherwise, honestly. Fiona kept saying it was the hormones but I think she is going to be having more crying fits as she realises that everything happening around her is her fault. I mean she went on and on about how much of an rear end Gus was being but when he showed up and gave his whole "you want something for nothing but you're not getting it" and yeah unless viewers are stupid that absolutely is the show going "Fiona is in the wrong".

I think overall it was still a good episode, I can still understand Ian being nervous or unsure about his first date but at the same time I do think they went overboard with his awkwardness. The stuff with Lip reminds me of an episode of a cop show I saw years ago where the culprit for whatever crime was a student and the teacher protecting him was also in a relationship with him. Similar dialogue too, well except it was from Lip this time instead of the teacher.

• Locked thread