Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can you view your own channel without searching for it? Really bugs me how you can't on the old ATV.

Also yeah, it's really weird how basically nothing but a desktop browser lets you click the things inside a YouTube video. I can't think of any reason why a touchscreen device wouldn't support it, at the very least, yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Feenix posted:

I cope just fine but the more I use the remote the more I feel like it is bad.

Long press the screen button for sleep, "Sleep, Cancel" comes up. I press the clicky to confirm sleep, it slides to cancel. poo poo like that.

Just super annoying at times.

You probably know but there is sensitivity options to reduce this.

It still happens.

The remote is pretty much the weak point for me too. really annoying when you accidentally touch the remote and skip ahead 20 seconds or more, or trigger a curtain menu coming down.

A simple option like "click to enable track pad while video is playing" would mostly solve the issues.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anybody else getting Pandora to play right now? When I push play the album art flashes and then darkens again. Happens on every station, tried force closing and logging out etc.

Also, UnTwitched was pulled from the App Store so the number of good Twitch apps is down by one (and a Twitch/Hitbox app still on the store is actually an open source player somebody compiled and sold as a paid app.)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Laserface posted:

You probably know but there is sensitivity options to reduce this.

It still happens.

The remote is pretty much the weak point for me too. really annoying when you accidentally touch the remote and skip ahead 20 seconds or more, or trigger a curtain menu coming down.

A simple option like "click to enable track pad while video is playing" would mostly solve the issues.

This a thousand times. At least it gives you a little line that tells you what point you were at if you catch it quick enough, but my wife has gone back to using the old AppleTV remote because she can't seem to manage the new remote without somehow brushing the touchpad and skipping around. I just keep it sitting on a flat surface and don't even handle it while watching something.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I feel like I'm about to invoke the "you're holding it wrong" line but I don't have any issues with the remote.

Then again, I'm not holding it while I'm watching something. I do think I've altered how I pick it up so as to not brush against the touch surface.

Two other anecdotes: my wife hates it and reports similar "too sensitive" issues. Another friend got used to it really quick without issues.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
If you press the menu button and not the play button after scrubbing through video it automatically goes back to where you started

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My only issue with the remote is I constantly pick it up upside down because I'm a big dummy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, I feel like I'm about to invoke the "you're holding it wrong" line but I don't have any issues with the remote.

Then again, I'm not holding it while I'm watching something. I do think I've altered how I pick it up so as to not brush against the touch surface.

Two other anecdotes: my wife hates it and reports similar "too sensitive" issues. Another friend got used to it really quick without issues.

I only hold it when I need to interact. It still just sucks for his sensitive/active it is. Drop it and go to pick it up oops you just fast forwarded or paused it. It's just a really clever but really flawed remote. Half the time I touch or grab the thing I do something I wasn't intending...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like if the Menu button said Back or had a backwards facing arrow or something, it would make a lot more sense to non-technical people who aren't used to doing things like pressing a button that says Menu to go back a step in a stack (as opposed to bringing up a context menu, which is usually accomplished by holding down the touchpad).

It feels like a legacy decision that instead fails to communicate what that button is usually going to do. It's the kind of thing Apple usually stands against.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Menu" being used to go back is pretty common TV remotes, so it's not that unusual, really, though I do agree that it's unusual for Apple to stick with it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It does feel like apple tried to wade Into tv bringing their philosophy because people would like it but then everyone quickly realised static rubber buttons with specific functions on a remote actually work decently well for most things and that's why we still have them on remotes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm fine with the touch, there's just two things. One is the menu thing I talked about, the other is really there probably aren't enough buttons. I'm curious to see how you channel surf their eventual TV service, since the only app I've seen try to do that sort of thing with swipes is PlutoTV and it is feels out of control.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I'm fine with the touch, there's just two things. One is the menu thing I talked about, the other is really there probably aren't enough buttons. I'm curious to see how you channel surf their eventual TV service, since the only app I've seen try to do that sort of thing with swipes is PlutoTV and it is feels out of control.

Channels seems to do it well (HDHomeRun client). It's shows a grid of stations, with the channel number/name and the show that's on. It also shows the title card of whatever is currently showing for that channel if it has it or the station logo if not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The remote is cute, but not intuitive at all. I still hold it upside down frequently, can't remember the swiping shortcuts, and sometimes when I'm not using it it gets bumped and my tv switches to that input. There's a whole lot the new appletv gets right, but the remote isn't one of those things.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
There are swiping shortcuts?!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

There are swiping shortcuts?!

I'm with you on that. Is there a list or something somewhere?

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Rick Sanchez posted:

If you press the menu button and not the play button after scrubbing through video it automatically goes back to where you started

Not with the HBO now app. It is frustrating. If you hit menu it errors and goes back to the beginning of the show/movie.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I wish the HBO app had a way to "favorite" certain shows. It's so annoying having to scroll through their entire catalogue just to get back to watching backlog episodes.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

I wish the HBO app had a way to "favorite" certain shows. It's so annoying having to scroll through their entire catalogue just to get back to watching backlog episodes.

Yes. This and/or adding entire shows or seasons to the watchlist.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How readable is the HBO app on a decent sized screen? The text overlays on the graphics in the menus is pretty hard to make out on my little 24" at the end of the bed. Other than that it's a really pretty app, and I hope other companies follow suit. I'm sure it looks great on a big screen.

Is it me, or has Netflix fixed that "putting all the stuff in your list to the bottom" now? Might've been fixed a while ago, but it's something I noticed yesterday.

Also something that people might find interesting - if you're signed into a UK iTunes account, but you use an unblocked for Netflix, if you use Siri to find things it'll be based on the UK store. Must be because of the way the API is implemented, but a bit of a bummer if your iTunes and Netflix regions don't match.

Given that Apple have been pretty cool about saying "this show/movie is actually available on your service rather than buying it through us", it's a shame that the iTunes TV and iTunes Movies apps don't just become front-ends for TV and Movies in general, with iTunes playing a part of it but giving you pointers on what to watch. It's a bit weird that if you search for a show you get taken to pretty much the same screen as if you did in the iTunes app, but via the apps you lose the link throughs to other services. I mean, I get it... but iTMS while making a decent amount of money on its own isn't really where Apple makes their dough and is essentially there to get people to buy their hardware. If they are ever in a position to do a iTunes Music for Movies and/or TV, then that'd be pretty great though as their library is pretty fantastic and fast. Right now I'm not spending $3 an episode on something that airs on PBS, I watch enough TV that my bill would probably double or triple each month just using iTunes.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 12, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Both of the new models are $25 off this weekend at Best Buy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So my one sentence review of the AppleTV has to be

"It's pretty good but.."

So much potential, but most of the important apps are missing basic items that, unless the code is just godawful, should be easy to add via APIs and such. I think, honestly, Plex is the only major-content addon that isn't leaving me scratching my head wondering where all the obvious features are.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Vevo updated their app with the one-two punch of bad app design:

Punch 1: Having to sign up for a (free) account to watch anything.
Punch 2: Bizarre UI design that is a complete disconnect from anything on Apple TV.

I wish there was basically any other "rolling music video channel" service for this, since Vevo's playlists are basically all about new music and I'd like to just throw on some 80s stuff while I work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't even give an opinion because the iPhone app asks me if I want to validate the Apple TV app, yet does nothing when I press 'yes'.

It I try to do on the web, I just get a spinning loading icon.

All while a 5 second loop drives me loving insane.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I got it activated over the web, but I think I had to reload without content blockers in Safari. If you're using Purify, try that, because that addon just sometimes screws up some pages.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh good call, I don't use purity but I do have one. Although I tried in Chrome too, which I didn't think was covered by a blocker?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there an app that will parse a custom RSS feed of videos and present them / play them? Basically a video podcast app that I can plug a custom RSS feed URL into.

I was kind of surprised that Plex doesn't have some kind of RSS reader plugin (that I could find) so I guess I have to find an app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
HAs anyone else found (unsurprisingly, I suppose, but still disappointingly) that the new ATV plays games rather poorly, performance-wise?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

HAs anyone else found (unsurprisingly, I suppose, but still disappointingly) that the new ATV plays games rather poorly, performance-wise?

I can only speak to the free Star Wars level in Disney Infinity but that plays really nicely.

I'm sure most of it has to do with most games are ports of games for iOS devices. I know tvOS and iOS are supposedly the same (or at least share a majority of their code) but you'd think they'd play similar to a iPhone 6.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

I can only speak to the free Star Wars level in Disney Infinity but that plays really nicely.

I'm sure most of it has to do with most games are ports of games for iOS devices. I know tvOS and iOS are supposedly the same (or at least share a majority of their code) but you'd think they'd play similar to a iPhone 6.

Oh yeah I mean I think SOME do. But others (faster paced games) do not. I often wonder if there is just some negligence on porting on the behalf of the developer or if it's "just supposed to work" but somehow the ATV just doesn't have the balls that the newer iOS devices to. Not that these are good games, but the examples I know of offhand are Asphalt 8 and that game that is like Race the Sun. I remember SIGNIFICANT hitching and otherwise non-smoothness. Simpler games or more slow-paced games seem to work a bit better.

It's a little disconcerting, though...

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I think they're low-effort ports. This thing doesn't have a huge install-base like iOS so people aren't as willing to go all in yet.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Haven't had any frame rate drops while playing mr. jump here.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Late to the remote chat, but if you get the loop/holder thing you'll very likely stop picking the remote up the wrong way round.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's a bad solution.

Or, more accurately, it's an okay solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just instinctively feel for the volume button now and flip it in my hand if i need to. I love the remote so I can't complain too much, and it makes me put it to the side rather than losing it in my bed a hundred times a night like I did with the old one. Which I've kept for a spare, just in case.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

That's a bad solution.

Or, more accurately, it's an okay solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

To be fair to Apple, that's not why I bought the loop. I ordered the loop mere seconds into watching my daughter play Beat Sports and imagining the remote flying through the air and embedding itself in my TV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

New item on my wishlist: Let me control my ATV4 from my OSX machine.

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

Martytoof posted:

New item on my wishlist: Let me control my ATV4 from my OSX machine.

It looks like you can using this:
http://www.eyalw.com/1keyboard

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Down with this -- $14 is a lot but I'm not too fussed about it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Martytoof posted:

Down with this -- $14 is a lot but I'm not too fussed about it this time.

On mobile, so not a thorough search, but I see nothing specifying aTV4 and it claims to be keyboard input...