Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Macaluso posted:

Mandy did 9/11

Was that really a plot element? I never read the comics but I saw them on the front page all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bass Bottles posted:

Was that really a plot element? I never read the comics but I saw them on the front page all the time.

The comic's equivalent of Loss.jpg is the reveal that Mandy (from Billy and Mandy) caused various large scale disasters during the episode she was the Grim Reaper, including the then-extremely recent Indonesian Tsunami and yes 9/11. I would post it but I actually don't want this thread to turn into the Bad Webcomics Thread Mk. III.

vvv It's more like Cartoon League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but without any of the positive qualities that phrase implies.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 12, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mycot posted:

I am the traumatized soul who can't imagine a serious myth arc based Powerpuff Girls without remembering Bleedman and Deviantart.

Things we can be glad this reboot isn't:

-PPGZ
-Bleedman

Bass Bottles posted:

It was in a different cartoon where Mandy and Grim got married and their kids wanted to gently caress each other. It was basically a guy trying to make a Tim Burton story through the lens of 90s/2000s cartoons

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Yikes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JACK WAS THEIR UNCLE

And Grim proposed to Mandy as Brad Pitt.

You know, from Meet Joe Black.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You know I'm just going to take this moment to talk about how people misattribute the inspiration of the Powerpuff Girls all the time. Yes it's obviously anime inspired, but it's super old-school anime, and an arguably shallow take on that too. Mojo Jojo literally talks like a bad Sixties dub. That's why trying to transpose it as an unironic magical girl thing always comes off as wrong.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 12, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

I am the traumatized soul who can't imagine a serious myth arc based Powerpuff Girls without remembering Bleedman and Deviantart.

Well why do you think Professor Utonium was trying to make little girls in the first place? :pedo:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mycot posted:

You know I'm just going to take this moment to talk about how people misattribute the inspiration of the Powerpuff Girls all the time. Yes it's obviously anime inspired, but it's super old-school anime, and an arguably shallow take on that too. Mojo Jojo literally talks like a bad Sixties dub. That's why trying to transpose it as an unironic magical girl thing always comes off as wrong.
If anyone thinks that a show with a villain inspired by Rocky Horror Picture Show takes itself seriously, then I dunno what to tell em

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
God drat that PPG art style looks bad. There's been such a homogenization of both style and substance in cartoons over the past few years and this isn't helping. Not only that, but the poses are so uninspired and the animation is bland as all get-out. The part where Buttercup hurls the dude into the distance looks especially bad, so from what we've seen so far it doesn't look like there's anyone with any sort of competence in fight scenes involved in this project.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'll give one thing to McKraken. What he lacks in art sophistication he makes up for in excellent timing and knowing how to make the most of every frame. His work on Wander Over Yonder continues to impress, and he did great with the Power Puff Girls.
If he's not at the helm of the new series I don't have high hopes for it. PPG without McKraken's particular animation talent is just a bunch of ultra-simplified characters jabbering in high voices.
Speaking of voices, is that Billy West as the lumberjack?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sleeveless posted:

Slowly but surely edging toward every Cartoon Network show having the exact same art style.

Is McKraken involved in this new one? Because yeah, aside from the girls nothing about that clip looked PPG-ish to me, everything else looked like that style that was novel when it was just Adventure Time but not so much now that every new Cartoon Network show looks like that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I swear I'm the only person that thinks the original PPGs was "meh". Granted, it had it's strengths and certainly wasn't a "bad" show but honestly I don't think it was THAT good either. It was The animation was weak, the humor hit or miss, and the fact that all of the villains were pushovers robbed the show of any sort of stakes or dramatic weight. Even back in the 90's/00's I never thought much of it.

Sleeveless posted:

Slowly but surely edging toward every Cartoon Network show having the exact same art style.

Eh, the original was part of a huge lineup of shows that had the exact same problem so it's fitting really.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

raditts posted:

Is McKraken involved in this new one? Because yeah, aside from the girls nothing about that clip looked PPG-ish to me, everything else looked like that style that was novel when it was just Adventure Time but not so much now that every new Cartoon Network show looks like that.

Nope, he isn't involved in the new one at all.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

Mandy did 9/11

Dexter cradling Dee-Dee's dying body after she was shot in the head and saying "Stupid Sister"

Pakled posted:

Nope, he isn't involved in the new one at all.

The new producer is Bob Boyle, who's been hanging around TV cartoons for over 25 years, created Yin Yang Yo, and, uh, was the guest of honor at Anthrocon 2009.

Corek fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 12, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

readingatwork posted:

Eh, the original was part of a huge lineup of shows that had the exact same problem so it's fitting really.

Yeah but back then they were all copying PPG.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Applewhite posted:

Yeah but back then they were all copying PPG.

Assuming we mean the "Cartoon Cartoons", PPG was actually one of the last ones released then. The only other major one was Ed, Edd n Eddy.

(There was Courage the Cowardly Dog too but he's a little more distinct from the PPG art style).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

Assuming we mean the "Cartoon Cartoons", PPG was actually one of the last ones released then. The only other major one was Ed, Edd n Eddy.

(There was Courage the Cowardly Dog too but he's a little more distinct from the PPG art style).

I'm talking PPG, Dexter's Lab, Fairly Oddparents, 2 Stupid Dogs and pretty much any other cartoon where a cylinder would be expressed like this:

which, as near as I can reckon, was kicked off by the huge success of Tartakovsky and McKraken's cartoons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked that new clip. I'm cautiously excited for that show.

I caught up on Miraculous, just in time for this week not to have an episode. :(

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Senerio posted:

I liked that new clip. I'm cautiously excited for that show.

I caught up on Miraculous, just in time for this week not to have an episode. :(

I'm not yet sure what to think of Miraculous, but I'm still watching it so far. Some points:
* The dialog is pretty bad, but I'm guessing the english dub is at fault on that one.
* I really don't like the design of those fairies that power Ladybug and Cat Noir. It's like a chinese bootleg of a Digimon.
* Man, the identity of the big bad is really obvious.
* Lastly, Ladybug's superpower REALLY reminds me of that Action Man CGI show from the 90s: https://youtu.be/J0g8SsFLCfg?t=1115

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Corek posted:

Dexter cradling Dee-Dee's dying body after she was shot in the head and saying "Stupid Sister"

The new producer is Bob Boyle, who's been hanging around TV cartoons for over 25 years, created Yin Yang Yo, and, uh, was the guest of honor at Anthrocon 2009.

He's also worked on Fairly Oddparents and is probably the inspiration for Bob, the boil.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

readingatwork posted:

I swear I'm the only person that thinks the original PPGs was "meh". Granted, it had it's strengths and certainly wasn't a "bad" show but honestly I don't think it was THAT good either. It was The animation was weak, the humor hit or miss, and the fact that all of the villains were pushovers robbed the show of any sort of stakes or dramatic weight. Even back in the 90's/00's I never thought much of it.

It was a comedy. Why would it have "dramatic weight"? :psyduck:

computer parts posted:

What are you talking about? Almost all of Cartoon Network's mid-late 90's output came out of the What A Cartoon show, and Powerpuff Girls was the first one to get its own series.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 12, 2016

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
"I'm bad and looking down on you."
"Yeah, well that makes me mad."
*a few seconds of action with zero dynamism or humor*

I really hope new PPG's writing and animation can do better than that because goddamn.

Art style is okay though, I don't mind it so far.

e: forgot to mention the sound. Those whip cracks are definitely worrying me.

Doctor Soup fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 12, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched the OWCA Files special. It was noticeably weaker than the rest of the series but I thought Doof's teamwork song was pretty good. There's no I on teamwork but there are bits of all of us :3: (T and O from Doofenshmirtz the Ocelot, E and K from Karen the Cat, A and R from Harry the Hyena and M and W from Maggie the Macaw.)

Edit: Although Doofenshmirtz making those missile launchers is completely out of character - he doesn't do weapons, it's not his style. He finds them amateurish, like if you have to pick up a gun then you've already given up.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 12, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

horriblePencilist posted:

Action Man CGI show from the 90s

I like that show, but only because one episode briefly took place in the state I was raised in which never gets a mention on TV.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

It was a comedy. Why would it have "dramatic weight"? :psyduck:

I'm not using the term "dramatic weight" in some Shakespearian sense. I'm talking about a basic emotional investment in the events occurring. If our heroes have zero chance of ever loosing the entire "action" element of the show falls apart. So Mojo Jojo is trying to conquer the town. So what? A mall cop could thwart his sorry rear end. Why do I care?

I'm not saying we need to be genuinely afraid for the characters every episode like this is GoTs for kids or anything, but having the PPGs arch nemesis actually be kind of dangerous would have made the show a whole lot more interesting to me.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

readingatwork posted:

I'm not using the term "dramatic weight" in some Shakespearian sense. I'm talking about a basic emotional investment in the events occurring. If our heroes have zero chance of ever loosing the entire "action" element of the show falls apart. So Mojo Jojo is trying to conquer the town. So what? A mall cop could thwart his sorry rear end. Why do I care?

I'm not saying we need to be genuinely afraid for the characters every episode like this is GoTs for kids or anything, but having the PPGs arch nemesis actually be kind of dangerous would have made the show a whole lot more interesting to me.

what the gently caress?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Powerpuff Girls is a comedy about superheroes, not a comedy-action show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Plus Mojo almost defeated them all the time, as did many of the villains so :confused:

But yeah it was a show may more concerned with being funny and the action was, at best, secondary but it wasn't an action show so once again :confused:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
they DID actually manage acouple of more dramatic episodes, like Speed Demon and Knock it Off.

But it's mostly just about six year old girls going around punching really silly supervillains, not everything has to be Crying Breakfest Friends.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Cartoon Network show idea: goons explaining to kids why they shouldn't enjoy whatever cartoon

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Are we seriously going to recreate that AV Club article about how We Bear Bears spends too much time being funny instead of tackling social issues?

Corek posted:

Eat your heart out Steven Universe fans.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Amazing World of Gumball is still great. I never expected a cartoon to have a reference to howtobasic.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sockser posted:

He's also worked on Fairly Oddparents and is probably the inspiration for Bob, the boil.

The Hartman/Boyle group, which grew from Johnny Bravo kept the thick-line stuff going, but away from CN.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

Are we seriously going to recreate that AV Club article about how We Bear Bears spends too much time being funny instead of tackling social issues?

Well you can't mention something that stupid and not link it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried googling it and then I discovered they do multi paragraph reviews of every episode

nah I was wrong but there's nothing funny in it

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 13, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baK5USEFubc

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

mycot posted:

"This episode of Merry Melodies dropped the ball big time when they showed Bugs Bunny in a dress and he kissed Elmer right on the lips. They could have made a great commentary on the gender binary and deconstructed traditionally assigned social norms, but Bugs just zipped off-screen and seconds later they acted like none of that happened."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

readingatwork posted:

I hope you never watch Teen Titans Go or your head might literally explode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

TwoPair posted:

Well you can't mention something that stupid and not link it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Bare_Bears#Critical_response

readingatwork posted:

Kid Next Door went more in the dramatic direction and became a worse show because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gaunab posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Bare_Bears#Critical_response

Kid Next Door went more in the dramatic direction and became a worse show because of it.

it became a loving bonkers crazy show because of it but it couldn't well have just gone on doing the same thing forever without diminishing returns so i'm glad for how KND went nuts.