Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm going to guess a whole lot of white slopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

xzzy posted:

I'm going to guess a whole lot of white

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Yeah, Lando doesn't show up until later in the movie.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Why didn't any of you tell me that the last couple of years' Bricktober promotions were little town buildings so cute I could poo poo

Look at this freaking hotel!!

And the town hall has tiny frog gargoyles. Jesus Christ.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Van Dis posted:

Why didn't any of you tell me that the last couple of years' Bricktober promotions were little town buildings so cute I could poo poo

Look at this freaking hotel!!

And the town hall has tiny frog gargoyles. Jesus Christ.

Toys R Us sells a little Toys R Us

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

They took all the Hoth sets from the last couple years, slapped a UCS sticker on it, and called it a day. It doesn't even come with Hoth Leia :rolleyes:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Guess I might get the Slave I if that's our UCS this year. :(

e: Any idea how much longer the Creator Mini Cooper should be around? Been eyeballing that too since I got the F40.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They took all the Hoth sets from the last couple years, slapped a UCS sticker on it, and called it a day. It doesn't even come with Hoth Leia :rolleyes:

That's kind of beautiful but very lazy. I expected something as impressive as Endor.

However, isn't Leia in the control room at the back across from the chrome protocol droid?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

That's kind of beautiful but very lazy. I expected something as impressive as Endor.

However, isn't Leia in the control room at the back across from the chrome protocol droid?

According to the press release that's Toryn Farr.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of course they put Wedge in the $250 set :negative:

Damnnnnnn, so glad I passed on the older Wampa set the other day.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Never seen that hotel, these were the ones I got my hands on here in Scandinavia

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

According to the press release that's Toryn Farr.

Oh. Okay. :iiam:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Davros1 posted:

Toys R Us sells a little Toys R Us

Woah where do you get the town hall? Hotel was part of Bricktober 2015 in the UK but that was only a set of 4.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What would I be searching for if I wanted to get those? Mini modulars? Tiny lego buildings? I assume they have some proper name, they look cool and I want them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thebardyspoon posted:

What would I be searching for if I wanted to get those? Mini modulars? Tiny lego buildings? I assume they have some proper name, they look cool and I want them.

Brickset calls them Bricktober Mini Modulars.

http://brickset.com/sets/tag-Mini-Modular

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
So two Snowtroopers and a Wompa are the only non-Rebel pieces in Hoth set? That doesn't seem very assault-like to me. :colbert:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Theres two sets of 4 for the bricktober minitown. I only got a couple when they were on sale because TRU was the only place that had them here and wanted $20 per which ain't happening.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

Theres two sets of 4 for the bricktober minitown. I only got a couple when they were on sale because TRU was the only place that had them here and wanted $20 per which ain't happening.

Sets from 2014 are discounted at half price! Otherwise I think $20 is a lot to spend on those little buildings.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This thing is pretty lazy for sure but there's a lot of great stuff in there. I already have half of it though since most of the set is just other sets cobbled together. I'm such a sucker for hoth stuff though. It will still be tempting.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Voodoo posted:

So two Snowtroopers and a Wompa are the only non-Rebel pieces in Hoth set? That doesn't seem very assault-like to me. :colbert:

More like defense of just Hoth base :smugdog:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kakarot posted:

More like defense of just Hoth base :smugdog:

Oops! All Hoth!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Someone put some truth up

So its like $100 for all the other small stuff

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Kakarot posted:

Yeah but all those sets are long retired and don't go for retail price anymore.

edit: however looking at the box art again, it doesn't look like 2100 pieces, unless it's just 1000 greebles

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 12, 2016

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Kakarot posted:

I love having Hoth sets for Christmas train displays, but $250 us a lot for what feels like rehashes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Like, the only new thing is the ion cannon and it's not even a very good representation. Everything else is just kind of stuff that would be nice to have if you missed it the first time but the price point seems really high. it would be a little more interesting if the base itself didn't look so empty. I'd say at $175 I'd get it, but $250 seems like too drat much.

I'll probably just grab that new $30 Hoth set and Ebay a tauntaun cause I've been wanting one forever, then call it a day. At 2144 parts they really must have blown a bunch on that boring base build if those other sets basically amount to the same thing but with 3 snowspeeders (which are each like 250 parts) and still manages to be 700 parts less.

in general those big UCS playsets seem like the worst deals.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Not seeing a lot here to tempt me given I already own the Hoth set that was a TRU exclusive. I was hoping they'd give it the Death Star/Endor treatment. Instead it's a glorified bundle. gently caress. :(

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'll save my $250 for whatever other UCS comes out this year, thanks. It looks like a glorified modular playset.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Those bricktober mini modulars were neat but they were either free with a $75 purchase or $20 each so gently caress that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, in a world where people are wiling to drop $4 on a single blind bag minifigure, $20 for ~150 pieces doesn't seem all that bad. :v:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Those bricktober mini modulars were neat but they were either free with a $75 purchase or $20 each so gently caress that

It was only one per week for $75, too. So you'd have to spend $300 over a month at TRU to get all four for free. They do look good, but not that good.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

If they were $20 each why didn't you just buy them and only spend $80

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
FBTB has a picture with more details, and the back of the main entrance is a total whiff as well. This is definitely a collection of smaller sets in all ways rather than anything new. Bummer.

http://www.fbtb.net/2016/02/12/hoth-base-assault-box-pictures-surface/

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The Rage posted:

If they were $20 each why didn't you just buy them and only spend $80

Because if they're overpriced at $20 making the same mistake four times doesn't seem much smarter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who is that set supposed to be for? It's expensive as hell so no one is going to get it for their kids, and I don't see any collectors appeal there since there is nothing new.

I'll grab it if it bombs and gets marked down to half off.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

NESguerilla posted:

Who is that set supposed to be for? It's expensive as hell so no one is going to get it for their kids, and I don't see any collectors appeal there since there is nothing new.

I'll grab it if it bombs and gets marked down to half off.

Agreed. I suspect it will too

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Because if they're overpriced at $20 making the same mistake four times doesn't seem much smarter.

I mean better than $75 4 times

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Rage posted:

Yeah but all those sets are long retired and don't go for retail price anymore.

edit: however looking at the box art again, it doesn't look like 2100 pieces, unless it's just 1000 greebles
1,000 trans-red round 1x1's for the shooter.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

The Rage posted:

I mean better than $75 4 times

well, at least you are getting a $75 set in addition to the mini thing.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I think Lego would've made more money from and sold more copies of a new, $500 UCS Falcon (even if it were 100% identical to the original, let alone a TFA revamp with new techniques and a nice interior) than this Hoth set. I generally don't buy UCS sets (I think the only one I have is the DS2, which I got for half off), but I'd get a $500 Falcon without even blinking.

In other departments, I finally got the Portal 2 Dimensions level set, and I'm disappointed the portal gun is entirely that soft rubber. It doesn't fit well into a minifig hand and it feels like I'm going to twist the handle off just trying to rotate it in Chell's grip. There really should've been something to stick onto the back of Chell's legs to represent the longfall boots. Maybe ice skates?
Also, man, that turret is not remotely game-accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
UCS Falcon with interior please