Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

what the gently caress posted:

I guess that's my answer. Portability/weight is not something I'm particularly fussed about at this stage. More durability and stability. Sort of getting ping-ponged around looking for good affordable-ish tripod solutions for about 10-11 (22lbs) kg worth of camera.

The answer is always: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I did see one of these for sale in an antiques shop near here. But I don't want it for studio use. Outdoors.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Teck Whye by alkanphel, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a distributor for Vanguard Tripods near me that clears out their stock of return/scratch-n-dent/B-stock/etc tripods every summer, including some beefy lightweight tripods rated to 20+ lbs. Like probably $100 or so. Want me to keep an eye open and post some?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 12, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

what the gently caress posted:

I did see one of these for sale in an antiques shop near here. But I don't want it for studio use. Outdoors.

Did I say it was for studio use?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
The GSW690iii is pretty fun. Only problem is that it just has a T mode and not B, so doing long exposures is going to be a pain in the rear end...

Converge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yup you gotta very quickly cover the lens with the cap and then advance the film lever, which closes the shutter.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

vxsarin posted:

The GSW690iii is pretty fun. Only problem is that it just has a T mode and not B, so doing long exposures is going to be a pain in the rear end...

Converge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

cable release

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

atomicthumbs posted:

cable release

You still have to wind on to close the shutter

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

atomicthumbs posted:

cable release

Unfortunately not. You still have to either wind the shutter or the shutter speed ring.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Faith by Jason, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

vxsarin posted:

Unfortunately not. You still have to either wind the shutter or the shutter speed ring.

Cover the lens/camera with your lens cap or fedora before you do either of the former to close the shutter.
Problem solved.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what I am doing with this...

My new camera! #hasselbladski #mediumformat #araxfoto #cameragear #kiev88cm #sovietgear #film by Iain Compton, on Flickr

It has a titanium shutter, I asked the guy and he built it for me at the same cost.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Something to do with the film? Development? Just the overcast and dark environment in which they were taken? (Probably that.) Whatever it is, I'm loving the colors in some of this roll.

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just looks like a recovered under exposure to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

first finished LF photo :toot: (note the front standard sagging tilt-wise, this was the first time I'd used the camera)

Untitled by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

edit: second finished LF photo :toot:

Untitled (Cop) by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 17, 2016

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
65190009.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 20, 2016

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

I'm on my non-calibrated work monitor but your white balance looks like its skewing green/blue to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Via Filippo Paolucci, Modena by alkanphel, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Thoogsby posted:

I'm on my non-calibrated work monitor but your white balance looks like its skewing green/blue to me.

It seemed fine on my calibrated monitor unless I hosed something up during calibration which is entirely possible. But it does look off on my phone. I edited it slightly.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Finally got some colour processed

Spedman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 21, 2016

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The second one looks a bit bluish to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Magenta in the shadows I think.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

alkanphel posted:

Magenta in the shadows I think.

Just very magenta all over, fixed in the OP.

Also, Flickr seems to have gotten even worse at sharpening when it comes to posting resized images.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

Also, Flickr seems to have gotten even worse at sharpening when it comes to posting resized images.

Yeah that's why I just upload the exact display size now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nice video on LF photography with palladium printing: https://vimeo.com/91495217

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Nice video on LF photography with palladium printing: https://vimeo.com/91495217

Very cool thanks for sharing.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Portra4202 by Brett Schlough, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Going to Tokyo and Beijing in a couple weeks. I'd like to bring a camera, but I don't think I want to lug my P67, or the Mamiya RZ67 I just borrowed from a friend. I just caught up on this thread after about six months of totally avoiding all things photography and now I'm tempted to buy a GW690II for the trip. Can anyone speak to it as a good travel/walk around MF camera?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, here's a friend environmental portrait from my first roll in ~6 months. I need to rescan it, there's some banding happening.

Matthew by spike mccue, on Flickr

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 23, 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Which was immediately followed by:

Matthew by spike mccue, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Going to Tokyo and Beijing in a couple weeks. I'd like to bring a camera, but I don't think I want to lug my P67, or the Mamiya RZ67 I just borrowed from a friend. I just caught up on this thread after about six months of totally avoiding all things photography and now I'm tempted to buy a GW690II for the trip. Can anyone speak to it as a good travel/walk around MF camera?

Yep its great, I've used it on trips to the US a couple of times, about the same weight as a FF DSLR and will fit in the same sized bag.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Yep its great, I've used it on trips to the US a couple of times, about the same weight as a FF DSLR and will fit in the same sized bag.

Thanks! I'm definitely interested in one. They all seem to ship from Tokyo, so maybe I'll just wait and buy one there.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Spedman posted:

Agreed, just got done lugging mine around New Orleans for 5 days. I threw a thin strap on it and when its hanging to the side I use it as an arm rest.

Bud fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 24, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Thanks! I'm definitely interested in one. They all seem to ship from Tokyo, so maybe I'll just wait and buy one there.

I think everyone in the dorkroom who has one has gone through a Japanese eBay seller. It would be worth comparing online vs in-country as online could be cheaper. Japan camera hunter might be able to give you an idea of the local prices.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my super angulon 90mm f/8 got here

turns out the "#0 synchro compur (very small)" that it was described as being in is actually a #00 synchro compur that's worth $60 more than what I paid for the whole shebang :toot:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

my super angulon 90mm f/8 got here

turns out the "#0 synchro compur (very small)" that it was described as being in is actually a #00 synchro compur that's worth $60 more than what I paid for the whole shebang :toot:

Hey, my 90 mm just got here too. Hope yours fits! Mine is suuuuuuper tight in the Wista. Maybe time for a body with more movements than the wista and bag bellows...

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 25, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

How many sheets of 4x5 can I expect to be able to process from one box of powdered C-41 chemistry?

• Locked thread