Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Uh huh. Wake up.

Well that was a literally epic story, thanks Diog for running it and also putting up with all the wrong voters.

I can't help but feel that was an anticlimactic ending, but I feel somewhat gratified that what happened was specifically because Ishamal kept us in ignorance, and we did it because we were ignorant and wanted answers.

Edit: ^^ goddammit!

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hope you leave this one open for a couple of days, I think a few of us need a break first.
Count me as I for at least the next couple of days.

:siren: Link to Update :siren:

Come join us in IRC! #madgod on synirc.net - The topic of the day is x.
Direct Mibbit Link

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 14, 2016

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I need a break. I started with Enkidel, I'm fine leaving it with Enkidel for now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A

*insert disc 2*

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
D

Lets go away from Zepath and Kavodel and Ish and everything else.

Lets be a mighty hero with no commitments.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
D.

Lets play someone who doesn't already have an established personality, and who didn't personally know Enkidel.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Ashael

We have to save our brothers and Snarls

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

F. Simeon sounds pretty interesting. I can get behind restoring Aphik and making the Donut a better place.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A The son will pick up where the father left off.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

H. You are... someone else. Fill in. Who? Anyone else related to Enkidel by marriage is out, as is anyone who is greatly Blooded, such as Aaron or Tudiya. Any Ball of Labaras who did not come on the trip is fine, Jassiel and Gareb are both in Kavodel. Most humans in Ur are fair game. If you have any other generally creative ideas, I am open to suggestion.

Diogines posted:

CHOICE B. You live among a wandering tribe of nomads known as the Kadmonim. Your father is the Chieftain of the largest and most powerful of the Kadmonim tribes. The tribes of the Kadmonim follow their great flocks of sheep, goats and cattle through the hills and grasslands further east from the coast, a land which is increasingly becoming more settled. Your people trade with other tribes and with the the village and city folk but your people raid their flocks and farms as well. There had been increasing violence with the cities as your people competed for grazing land with settled folk but for now at least, things are once again peaceful. Your older cousin married the king of Baitel to secure a peace of sorts. Your mother is from that city and wed your father as part of a series of marriages to bring peace. Your people worsphip the god Ishat who they believe to be the sun and the father of the gods. Your people believe that a wide variety of gods guide their lives and your people worship them beside Ishat.

I vote for this.

Though playing as Judah sounds really interesting too!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

RandomPauI posted:

A The son will pick up where the father left off.

Minus delusions of grandeur and expectations of miracles!

Hopefully.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
Diog, thanks for the great adventure. Your writing was really enjoyable and I think your handling of a forums CYOA was really well done. Since story explanations seem like they're not going to be forthcoming, could you at least do a sort of debrief about your personal thoughts about the game? Like:

(1) What were some of your favorite write-ins in terms of creative solutions or just something that made you lol?

(2) What was the most palm-to-forehead boneheaded choice that stood out to you?

(3) What were your favorite scenes to write?

(4) Care to talk about your world building process at all?

(5) Is there anything really big that we "missed" that you were hoping we'd discover but didn't?

The most intense scene for me was the phalanx at the temple vs. minotaur charge. I really liked the exchanges with the old archer guy in the holy city too. Tudiya going through a possible crisis of faith near the end was really interesting as well.

Again, thanks for such an interesting and original read! :)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I. Diog, I'm out. Thanks, but I'm done. Why was is option here? I wanted to know how many people will be leaving our game.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Vavrek posted:

I vote for this.

That particular option won't work. The world had some changes based on what you picked.

BUT!

If you want to be a Kadmonim at the edge of Ur with an interesting life ahead of them, you can certainly pick that. I will need some time to work it out though, it is going to take quite a bit of Capybara time to work that out. I am ready to go on any other option pretty much right away. I need time to work on playing a Kadmonim.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 14, 2016

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
poo poo. No idea how to vote for the next adventure, but I just want to thank Diog for running one of the most interesting and emotionally involved games I've ever been in. Also, gently caress all the other voters, I'm reporting the whole thread.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

D

My emotions are running wild.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Vavrek posted:

I vote for this.

This thing. With whatever changes have to be made.

e: though i would be happy with Asahel

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Actually, changing form D to H- random Mighty Son in Baitel.

It lets us get the distance from Enkidel and from Zepath that I think both the game and the voters need, and lets us have a very different perspective than we did before. Instead of living in the smallest, crummiest city in Ur, we live in the greatest.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I don't want to play as any of these scrubs. GG and thanks for all the fish.

I

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 14, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

A Someone needs to live to tell all of Zepath what happened when the great Enkidel fell in battle.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

That particular option won't work. The world had some changes based on what you picked. If you want to be a Kadmonim at the edge of Ur with an interesting life ahead of them, you can certainly pick that. I will need some time to work it out though. I am ready to go on any other option pretty much right away.

That definitely sounds cool. The more I think about it, it's kind of tied with "Judah right after his manhood trial" in excitement levels for me. We'll see how the vote plays out.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
D

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

IRC questions:

Q: Can you play Ruth?
A: If you really want to, yes. Keep in mind she is the least physically capable of your entire group, including your servant Gaddiel. She is a good archer and a skilled scout. She is not in any way Xena.

Q: Is a "Mighty Son" in Baitel viable?
A: Yes.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Waci posted:

Actually, changing form D to H- random Mighty Son in Baitel.

It lets us get the distance from Enkidel and from Zepath that I think both the game and the voters need, and lets us have a very different perspective than we did before. Instead of living in the smallest, crummiest city in Ur, we live in the greatest.

Sure

It'll be nice to be a smaller fish working our way up, rather than just literally growing into an automatic position of power and prestige.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ceramic Shot posted:

Diog, thanks for the great adventure. Your writing was really enjoyable and I think your handling of a forums CYOA was really well done. Since story explanations seem like they're not going to be forthcoming, could you at least do a sort of debrief about your personal thoughts about the game? Like:

(1) What were some of your favorite write-ins in terms of creative solutions or just something that made you lol?

(2) What was the most palm-to-forehead boneheaded choice that stood out to you?

(3) What were your favorite scenes to write?

(4) Care to talk about your world building process at all?

(5) Is there anything really big that we "missed" that you were hoping we'd discover but didn't?

The most intense scene for me was the phalanx at the temple vs. minotaur charge. I really liked the exchanges with the old archer guy in the holy city too. Tudiya going through a possible crisis of faith near the end was really interesting as well.

Again, thanks for such an interesting and original read! :)

^ This

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I'm so torn.

I really want to vote A in the hopes there's some sort of closure to Enki's tale in Ash's POV.

But part of me also things starting over in a totally different part of Ur may be the best thing in the long run.

I dunno man, I need to sleep on this.

Snuls :smithcloud:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
A

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

Q: Is a "Mighty Son" in Baitel viable?
A: Yes.
Some thoughts on this though. You did not see any greatly Blooded men from Baitel in your corner of Ur. Because they don't leave. Living in Baitel is greatly prestigious and there is no adventure to be had ANYWHERE in the region. Baitel governs, literally, a months walk from the city. Even beyond that, there are rings of ancient cities beyond it. If you want serious adventure, you are going to have to go pretty far from Baitel to get it. Of course there may be some intrigue in the city itself of course but the thrill of exploration and monster fighting? Probably not. There are also ancient, powerful forces VERY devoted to the status quo. As a mortal, you are not going to bring about huge changes to this ancient, changeless city.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I.

Sort of anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if I kept reading, but as it stands now I'm not interested in continuing as someone else. This was Enkidel's game, although it sucks, I'd rather end on the sudden emptiness that was the end of his story than try and limp along as someone else, trying to recapture the glory.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

I'm so torn.

I really want to vote A in the hopes there's some sort of closure to Enki's tale in Ash's POV.

But part of me also things starting over in a totally different part of Ur may be the best thing in the long run.

I am tempted to let you know Snarl's fate regardless of what option you pick.

I have honestly not decided. I want to but I feel like I should not.

We all love Snarls. It feels cruel to potentially not tell you.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

I.

Sort of anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if I kept reading, but as it stands now I'm not interested in continuing as someone else. This was Enkidel's game, although it sucks, I'd rather end on the sudden emptiness that was the end of his story than try and limp along as someone else, trying to recapture the glory.
Thanks for joining us for this adventure Theglavwen, its been a lot of fun.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Is a big bad blighty man bnaimokt on the table? if it is then that's my vote.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Theglavwen posted:

I.

^

Don't tell us what happened to Snarls, stick to your convictions!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Cornuto posted:

I don't want to play as any of these scrubs. GG and thanks for all the fish.

I
Its been fun Corunto, GG!

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
A

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Diog this is kinda out of left-field, but is playing as Amok an option?

A more powerful character (who won't die as easily, maybe) that has a beef with the Melachim and Fare/Ashera would probably fit this thread quite well.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I. Diog, I'm out. Thanks, but I'm done. Why was is option here? I wanted to know how many people will be leaving our game.

Deadly Ham Sandwhich, you will be missed! I hoped you would stick around, your posts were always fun to read. Its been a blast, farewell!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

FoxTerrier posted:

I'm so torn.

My attitude is: For all my disbelief of Diog, I'm kind of at peace with Enki ... losing coherence at that point, and a sudden "You have reached a Fail State" ending has an appeal that's growing on me with time. In life, there is no closure. What we have before us is not an opportunity to continue the story of Og, but to have another story set within this world. My view is that this next story should be something ... distant, detached, not a part of Enki's life, so that it can be its own thing.

I'm also kind of concerned that we would begin play as Asahel and then die within five in-game minutes. (That and we would have way, way too many opportunities where out of character knowledge would be tempting.)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I need a break. I started with Enkidel, I'm fine leaving it with Enkidel for now.

HiHo ChiRho. Its been fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Vavrek posted:

My attitude is: For all my disbelief of Diog, I'm kind of at peace with Enki ... losing coherence at that point, and a sudden "You have reached a Fail State" ending has an appeal that's growing on me with time. In life, there is no closure. What we have before us is not an opportunity to continue the story of Og, but to have another story set within this world. My view is that this next story should be something ... distant, detached, not a part of Enki's life, so that it can be its own thing.

I'm also kind of concerned that we would begin play as Asahel and then die within five in-game minutes. (That and we would have way, way too many opportunities where out of character knowledge would be tempting.)

This is basically why I want people to vote D.

We can be something totally different, separate from Enki's story. If we're in Kavodel and Zepath, its going to feel like playing Enki light, and that's gonna suck.