Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's the one. I was supposed to run two RPG events but nobody showed for either one.

I did get to play a bunch of board games with a cool group of guys. I finally got to play Caverna, Codenames, Student Bodies, some skyship trader game I can't remember the name of, and a few other things I can't really remember off the top of my head.

I quite like the small-scale gaming cons, although its been many years since I had the opportunity to go to any convention. The last one was a local convention in Memphis, I actually got recruited to speak on a panel with Rich Burlew and an artist employed by DC just because one of the convention organizers found out I had a webcomic. Not a popular webcomic or a particularly good webcomic. Just a webcomic. I had no place there, but it was fun.

I also recall running a game of Exalted at like 1 AM where one of the two players who showed up (a giant neckbeard) found the first opportunity to (very badly) belt out "I Want Love" from the silent hill 3 soundtrack and then in the first real fight he leans over and eagerly requests that his character be killed so he can give a 5 minute long inspirational speech. Still fun.

The next night I ran a midnight game where I ran a Delta Green adventure using the BESM system and the Hellsing universe. Because I can make bad decisions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

CaptainCon was...okay, but really it's main focus was the WarmaHordes tourney. The vendors were mostly minis skirmish games, there were a few people demoing the games they were kickstarting soon (one of which was a combining-mecha game I really liked and am looking forward to), and the obligatory board game library that had like eight tables.

That said, I got to try Guild Ball for the first time and picked up two teams, plus I got to play Cavenra and Codenames for the first time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also regarding MyFarog, while it's a bad game by itself i'm actually glad it was made because Varg Vikernes was on my list of the Top 5 people to see a TRPG being made. The others being Hideo Kojima, Lowtax, Pewdiepie and Shadman, the group also known as the Five Supreme Elemental Dragons.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Also regarding MyFarog, while it's a bad game by itself i'm actually glad it was made because Varg Vikernes was on my list of the Top 5 people to see a TRPG being made. The others being Hideo Kojima, Lowtax, Pewdiepie and Shadman, the group also known as the Five Supreme Elemental Dragons.

Kojima would do a FATE/PBTA mashup where you barely even rolled for- aw, that's way too hosed-up, and I apologize.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

In the WoD thread Scion was mentioned, and someone mentioned that pretty much every pantheon except the Greek one was described terribly. I can see for myself that the Aztecs are apparently all bloodthirsty monsters, the exceptions being an rear end in a top hat bureaucrat and a goddess of feces ("pick a single aspect of a multifaced deity and make it its only feature" being a constant in that book) and I heard that the voudou one had some very surface understanding of the loas, but I don't know what is wrong with the Norse one and the Egyptian one.

Can anyone illuminate me? If I missed something in the other two I'd also like to know, please.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Going off memory, but sharing blood is a real loving big deal in old Norse culture (and possible modern as well in places like Iceland). Scion just had you kinda casually mix some animal blood in with your own to gain more power.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

According to Scion, almost every Goddess has sacred prostitutes, or can be found working in some sort of sex related profession, for some reason. Even the virginal ones, or the ones emphasizing motherhood, marriage, etc.

There's the idea of a good game inside Scion, but the presentation and the research done into even the Greek pantheon is so surface "I browsed Wikipedia for a bit and extrapolated from what I thought would be the case" level that it comes off as pretty, if not offensive, then at least dumb and inaccurate.

With some actual work by actual scholars, they could have something, but even going into, for example, the differences between the different aspects that Athena was worshiped under in different areas and in different time periods, could and has taken up entire textbooks, and how exactly to distill this into something playable without turning it into a research paper... And that's for a Goddess most of the target audience is going to be at least roughly familiar with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, that and the fact that the mechanics were completely and ridiculously broken by the second book.

Oh, and the fact that the provided campaign assumed everyone was playing the pregens, or at least would have a party with the same one-of-every-pantheon distribution.

Oh, and that there was no "here's how the rising number of gods and monsters is affecting the world" stuff.

Plus powers were ridiculously unbalanced.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: double post

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Toph Bei Fong posted:

There's the idea of a good game inside Scion

This matches my experience of Scion, which consisted of reading the first book and going "this is a neat idea, that I can run in any one of several better systems". I think it may even have been the first game that inspired me to swipe a setting wholesale and use a new system for it, which is now pretty much my go-to thing.

I didn't even notice the pantheon/stereotype problems, but I was less aware of that sort of thing back then.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The problem I had with Scion is the kind of idea where you can take the elevator pitch and never need the book. A wikipedia search and your system du jour will get you a lot farther, I think, and I be surprised if a new edition changes that for me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Part Time Gods is basically Scion with better mechanics and the ability to be a god of pretty much whatever you want.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Repost but lol thjs is the Five Nights at Freddys Fuckmask

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I enjoy the thought that being infertile makes you invisible to demonic perception.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pathfinder

:negative:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Back on Conchat, the two best games of Paranoia I played were at an otherwise tepid anime convention. The guy did all the voices, got up, yelled, and 5000 notes were passed. Each group had a few experienced people and a few newbies (who were constantly thrown under the bus) so I think the party deathtoll ended up being 25+ out of 36 possible deaths.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on my phone so I can't search the forums too well; is there a thread for Dicemasters, or even a general thread where people occasionally bring it up? My X-wing league plays a ton of it so I'm looking to get in. I did actually order the Faerun starter set but it won't be here till after league tonight; is it a good idea to get two of the same starter or should I look at another set? Or maybe just buy a boatload of boosters?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There's part of me that hates doing this to you, but it's a small part.

http://fogstudios.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/9/3/24933806/futurequest.docx

Or if that link doesn't work,
http://fogstudios.weebly.com/games.html should. It's... Something special. You have Metabolism, Satiety, and Lung Capacity stats, for example.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

There's part of me that hates doing this to you, but it's a small part.

http://fogstudios.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/9/3/24933806/futurequest.docx

Or if that link doesn't work,
http://fogstudios.weebly.com/games.html should. It's... Something special. You have Metabolism, Satiety, and Lung Capacity stats, for example.

Something A Human Being Actually Wrote posted:

Canada has taken over Antarctica and has monopoly over the metal Canadium

also gendered stat modifiers

:psyduck:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

also gendered stat modifiers

:psyduck:
Weridly - or maybe expectedly? - there's all these huge lists of stuff but I can't actually figure out how it all works together as a game. Like there's a "Combat" section waaaaay near the end but it's no help at all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Let's see...16 point font, 1" wide margins, and 8 pt line spacing.

Just out of curiosity, I set the font to 12 point, half inch margins, and no spacing between paragraphs. The page count dropped from 179 to 85.

Also:

quote:

Ability Name: Laser Cutter
Effect: Cut a hole in a wall of 1 height
Requirements to Learn: 20 Intelligence
Requires: Laser Charge
Energy Used: 20
Actions: 2

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Can't marry if you don't have a gender, and there's stats for an artifact fedora.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Can't marry if you don't have a gender, and there's stats for an artifact fedora.
You know what? Somehow...I am not surprised those two facts exist together.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Can't marry if you don't have a gender, and there's stats for an artifact fedora*.

* functions as girdle of goon change. Player swaps between redditor and goon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alright, now I'm mad. Its Venusian not "Venetian" you gently caress. :argh:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am still trying to figure out how one plays this game.

It is not as bad as, say, McCracken's newest version of Synnibarr, but it's kinda up there. How do you make this much stuff while having no actual game rules?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I wonder how long it will be until that guy gets a clue that he needs some serious writing practice. At least he's actually bothering to use periods in the so-called rules documents, because hoo boy he avoids them like the plague on forums.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

What use would marriage have if you somehow lack a gender.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Tax purposes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I am still trying to figure out how one plays this game.
I'm sure he knows how it all fits together in his head, but he has no idea how to communicate those ideas.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Engine Heart/robots inspiration http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-d-qHH9IPo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does SA/TG have a Discord thingy? I had the worst time with roll20's voice communications in a game today and I'd like to have an alternative open.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does SA/TG have a Discord thingy? I had the worst time with roll20's voice communications in a game today and I'd like to have an alternative open.
You could always use Skype. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just saw on reddit that there's a new RPG lootcrate thing out there. $35 bucks a month, but the first one doesn't look too bad; those are some nice clear minis and I like the little crystal props and the fountain.

I remember there's another RPG-related lootcrate out there, but I don't remember what it was called.

e: I found the other one; it was Mythoard.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 12, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
RPPR produced a fantastic podcast on the Old World of Darkness. Their strategy was to have two veteran WoD players explain Dirty Secrets of the Black hand to a guy (Faust from the Third Wheel) who has no idea what he is getting into.

The results are beautiful. :allears:

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/02/wod-the-heck/patreon-preview-wod-the-heck-dirty-secrets-of-the-black-hand/#comments

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What does that mean?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Met a dude at a bar tonight named Jack Vance. I saw him scrawl his name in chalk onto a wall and called him out. He said he had a few Dying Earth novels but had not read them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

RPPR produced a fantastic podcast on the Old World of Darkness. Their strategy was to have two veteran WoD players explain Dirty Secrets of the Black hand to a guy (Faust from the Third Wheel) who has no idea what he is getting into.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/02/wod-the-heck/patreon-preview-wod-the-heck-dirty-secrets-of-the-black-hand/#comments

This is like The Dollop of TRPGs :allears: he just keeps going "what?!"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Helical Nightmares posted:

I listened to that, and as someone who knew exactly what every reference was to it was fantastic. Then I read this interview with the new White Wolf lead storyteller:

http://imagonem.org/2016/02/15/white-wolfs-lead-storyteller-there-will-be-a-release-in-2016/

The way one illuminates the other is magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

I listened to that, and as someone who knew exactly what every reference was to it was fantastic. Then I read this interview with the new White Wolf lead storyteller:

http://imagonem.org/2016/02/15/white-wolfs-lead-storyteller-there-will-be-a-release-in-2016/

The way one illuminates the other is magical.

:catstare:

This is a GREAT FIND and I must post it everywhere.

quote:

Dateline: 15. FEBRUAR 2016

:frogsiren: White Wolf’s lead Storyteller: – There will be a release in 2016 :frogsiren:

Martin Elricsson, Lead Storyteller and Brand Architect at the newly Swedish White Wolf (recently acquired by Paradox Interactive) kindly took the time for a brief Q&A with Imagonem about upcoming plans.

Which game lines do you plan to revive, and when?

We prefer the term ”rise from torpor”. An elder awakening from a century of slumber is starving and hungry for fresh blood. So are we. Initial plans include products based on all of the ”classic” World of Darkness lines. It may be a while before we get to Mummy: The Resurrection tho :) Our launch plan will always be a secret until it’s not. I love the speculation and mystery surrounding future releases we saw in the 90’s, so we will definitely play with that aspect. Hints and clues to what will come next will appear in future products and WW communiques. There are actually a few of them out there already.

Will you prioritize computer games, or will we see pen-and-paper soon?

Short answer is that the economic centre of the company will be computer games. Unless something weird happens and people start buying roleplaying books, WoD novels and comics like they were Harry Potter. As things are now tabletop publishing hardly breaks even. Spiritually the core will always be tabletop rpg and larp. The Bibles we’re working on for computer games are written as if they were texts for a new tabletop edition, and will most likely be released in that format. :black101: Combined launches of digital and tabletop also games seem to make a lot of sense. In the last few years, focused and easy-to-use products like Mutant: Year Zero and Lamentations of the Flame Princess are selling unexpectedly well. Their brevity and low threshold makes them perfect for introducing new players to the hobby, while the monumental classic-WW-style books generally sell poorly and are more read than played. If future editions of WoD are actively used rather than collected we have done our job.

What form will the computer game take? MMO? Are you able to bring over content from CCP’s “World of Darkness”?

All releases will be announced when we feel confident they will release on time, reach our very high bar of quality and have enough material to be discussed by the community in a meaningful way. We own all assets connected to WoD, including the CCP content that they kindly gave us as a bonus when we made the purchase of the IP. I for one intend to make sure those 8 years of work by a hundred exceptionally talented creators doesn’t entirely go to waste.

You have mentioned larp plans. Will this be a new international “Camarilla”? How will the campaigns work, and what kind of system will you use?

We hope to be a resource to local Mind’s Eye Theatre troupes, not a dictatorial central committee.(:laugh:) Plans for some tools for communities and global character tracking are underway but way to early to talk specifics. What we can say is that MET will not be the only larp in town. Official White Wolf larps will not use Minds Eye Theatre rules but be organized more like Monitor Celestra or College of Wizardry.

Could you explain a little about the deal you’ve made with Onyx Path? What will be the main difference between “The Chronicles of Darkness” and “The World of Darkness”?

There is only one WoD. Chronicles of Darkness is a sandbox tabletop setting featuring the same broad creature types as the World of Darkness, but it is not the same world. It will not be spun off into computer games, novels, TV or anything else. It’s our specific brand for great metaplot-less, flexible, table-driven tabletop rpg. With the 2nd editions CoD has really found a separate identity from WoD and will continue to become even more of it’s own thing. We still own it but it’s Onyx Path’s baby. I love CoD and find that is a much more playable game with a more vague and unsettling aesthetic than WoD ever had. Too bad it never sold for poo poo and that old players hated it. It lacked the epic scope and the punk passion of the classic WoD. Had it done even remotely as well as the classic WoD things would be very different.

Onyx Path also have a license to produce nostalgia books for the classic WoD settings. These are official but set in the same nebulous ”eternal nineties”, using the old-school buckets-of-dice-system featured in the original lines. Future editions will move the setting, mythos, metaplot and mechanics almost 15 years forward into present day. It’s the same world, but a lot has changed. It’s useful to see the Classic and Anniversary books as highly subjective. The ultimate truth can’t be found in the books, but we can glimpse it through the multiplicity of perspectives presented. For instance Humanity is a mechanic presented from the Camarilla point of view, while Paths of Enlightenment give us the Sabbat perspective on the subject of morality. None of them are True. Both are models and simplifications.

Could you explain the vision for the new setting and metaplot, and the “eastward shift” (focusing on Europe, Russia and the Middle East)?

”What if the monsters are real, hidden among us?”, is the elevator pitch for the new metaplot. Gothic-Punk is dead and buried as an aesthetic. All the Apocalypses of the classic WoD has happened. In 2001 the Gehenna-war for the graves of the Antediluvians began. In 2006 the rise of the Wyrm and the inevitability of ecological Apocalypse became publicly known. The Technocracy has won, we surrendered when we allowed machines to shape our values and minds, trapping us in the paranoid realms of our personal filter-bubbles. At the same time we are applying engineering to quantum mechanics, making magical theories manifest as Science, so all hope is not lost. In line with this we integrate dramatic real world events to feature prominently in the story. We face difficult social subjects like the rise of fascism, religious fanaticism and the death of ideology in mainstream politics, head on. This naturally leads us to focus on areas where dramatic change is happening. Also there are more books on the US of Darkness than the rest of the world combined.

When can fans expect to see the first products for these new lines from Paradox and partners?

There will be a release in 2016.

What clans do you and CEO Tobias Sjögren belong to?

I’m a Toreador, he’s a Ventrue.

Any Mage plans?

Yes. :hellyeah:

Will the Werewolves remain crypto fascist eco-terrorist?

More than they have ever been. Global Warming has released the Wyrm-tide. The end of the Impergium (ancient Werewolves hunting humans to keep their numbers manageable) seems like a terrible mistake in retrospect.

What sucks most (pun intended) about being a Vampire?

The obsession with self-deception and appearing moral or darkly glorious to their peers. Never being able to be truly proud of who you are. Even The Sabbat need to think of themselves as ”good” in their fight against the Cam oppressors and the rising Ancients. The need to play the (anti-) hero is tragic. At the end of the night they’re addicts to sex, blood and power, masking the pursuit of their next fix as part of some grand scheme or other.

Where did White Wolf “get it wrong” last time around? What are your least favorite parts of the IP?

Anything that smells of Fantasy. The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. (BOOO BOOOOO) That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy. The inability to deal with and integrate real-world events in the setting. If you can write about the Holocaust, you can write about 9/11. Fear is the death of creativity. The game was always best in the hands of storytellers who dared to place the story close to reality, often in their own cities, featuring real places and people.

And vice versa: what were your favorite games and concepts?

Too many to list. The books are shock full of profound insights, human stories and heretical interpretations of real-world mythology and subculture. My most collected and (through my and Adriana Skarpeds political game series Prosopopeia) played game is :neckbeard: Wraith :neckbeard: (FAITH RESTORED). A small selection of my favorite books include 1st ed Vampire, Fatal Addiction, Gilded Cage, Damnation City (for V:TR, but very useful for V:TM) and Love Beyond Death.

So Technocracy winning = tumblr :911: gently caress

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 16, 2016

• Locked thread