Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Thread's been slow, so here's some kind of dog that was in doggy daycare with mine today. Some kind of lemur cross maybe?

Papillon mix, maybe? Those little eyebrows are adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
This is our adopted 12 week old Ridley. Her mom was a corgi and they think her dad was a beagle?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Ridley is adorable. I hope you'll keep posting pics as she grows.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
We did a thing and rescued a dog this weekend! His name is Chewie!

He's marked as a Terrier mix. (Border Terrier, maybe?) With legs like this though, I'm thinking Great Dane or Greyhound (I'm kidding. Sort of.)

Chewie can scratch the front of his face with his hind legs. That is how long they are. When he sits, he's almost 18" from top of his head to the floor.

He always has a super serious look on his face.

Otherwise, don't know a whole lot else about him. Around a year old, crate trained, and housebroken. Doesn't make noise, only have heard him make a whining noise when he yawns big. He is the least food-motivated dog I've ever met.

The only negatives are that he a) likes to chew on shoes and has pulled them off of our shoe rack to start chewing on them, and b) gets super anxious whenever you pull out his leash and/or harness. We live in an apartment so he has to be on a leash, so it has been interesting to say the least. He was all happy and snorty in happy terrier fashion when I let him out of his crate at lunch, and actually did somewhat well on the leash earlier today. (He normally sits and freezes, sans shaking like a leaf when hooked up to the leash/harness.) Managed to walk (very slowly) two houses down the street! Still had to carry him up and down the stairs though... baby steps!

He's claimed my chair as his chair. If I am sitting in it, he'll get on the other sofas and just glare at me. But if I pick him up and put him in my lap, he'll stay there for hours. He's a pretty good dog :D

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chewie looks like a pretty baller dogge.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dog was also a little hesitant with the leash when I first got him, it only took him a week or two to get over it. He'd never worn a collar or been on a leash before so it was more of a "wtf is this" than fear.

LucasMedaffy
Oct 18, 2000

Here's Ben as a puppy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LucasMedaffy
Oct 18, 2000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LucasMedaffy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 7, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

How noisy is he? I've known people with desi dogs and they are bare none the best intruder alarms I have ever witnessed.

One of them spend the time training his dog out of false positives and it was loving scary how early he'd warn you someone was coming up. The rest of the time it was the laziest pup in all of the land.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

pookel posted:

Ridley is adorable. I hope you'll keep posting pics as she grows.

I will! Her colors are already starting to change too, so I'm excited to see what she ends up looking like...

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Ahhh, cat butts. The best pillows. :shittydog:

This little dude was rescued by Vet Ranch (same guy who does the Demolition Ranch Youtube videos, he's also a vet) and is much healthier than when they found him, but still about 100% derp:

Anyone have an idea on the breed? Surely some interesting kind of mutt.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not an expert, but I see some alpaca in there

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

pookel posted:

This little dude was rescued by Vet Ranch (same guy who does the Demolition Ranch Youtube videos, he's also a vet) and is much healthier than when they found him, but still about 100% derp:

Saluki / Yorkshire Terrier?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My guess was Italian greyhound/Yorkie. I like saluki even better though.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

pookel posted:

what the gently caress is that

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Marnie 2.0

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

pookel posted:

Do you live near a nuclear power plant or something?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

pookel posted:

Can you post more pictures of him from different angles?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Can you post more pictures of him from different angles?
Er ... no? Vet Ranch is a veterinarian in Texas who does YouTube videos about guns (as Demolition Ranch) and saving injured animals (as Vet Ranch). I live in North Dakota. My only connection to him is I watch his videos and follow his Facebook page, where he posted that pic.

I highly recommend his videos, btw, but they're not for the faint of heart. The Vet Ranch stuff shows a lot of close-ups of injuries/surgeries etc. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?VetRanch

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pookel posted:

Clearly a Procrustes Hound

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
It's been 8 happy months since I rescued this little butthole. So here's a Ziggy photo dump!

Still no consensus on his breed. The shelter we got him from says that he's at least half Brussels Griffon, which makes since with the underbite and constant demands for snuggles, but I've heard Border Terrier, Shih Tzu, and Affenpinscher mentioned as well by people at the vet. I still believe he is the sabertoothed, wooly ancestor of a pug who was frozen in ice for the last 10,000 years.

BONUS: if you take pictures of him with flash he becomes a terrifying anglerfish!

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
This is Gypsy. I rescued her from a shelter/Petsmart adoption event thing 5 years ago. She was listed as a Border Collie/Lab mix. She definitely has a lot of Border Collie in her. She has the looks. She has "The Stare". I've seen her do the stalk too but not as often. The biggest difference I see is she is very tall. She is much taller than either of my parents' labs but at 57ish pounds weighs less. She HATES water with a passion. She will not come within 10 feet of the kiddie pool I bought when I got her thinking she would love it. She also thinks every animal is her friend and should play ball with her. It's hilarious when I see her look at a bird or squirrel and try to drop her ball near it. This did not go as well when she met a skunk behind my shed.

Here's some pics of her now, and her younger with my parents dogs and when also when I just got her.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
This is Bo. He is some sort of mutt that my significant other and I have termed a Buttsinji Bull that we rescued from a family who simply couldn't provide for him.

He shares our home with two cats, three chickens and a nine-year old blue Great Dane, Moose. Since this thread is about dogs, I'll spare you photos of the not dogs. Oh almost forgot, we're also fostering a hound mix from Honduras while she heals up from an MLP knee surgery.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I've been fostering a dog (almost 2 weeks) that was a stray. I can't find the owners (I think someone dumped it to be honest). It a puppy (it still has puppy teeth). Anyone know what it could be? I was thinking some kind of terrier mix. I'm not sure if I can keep it yet (I have a 6 yr pit mix, and they do get along - but the puppy is the one that wants to play rough :\). I honestly don't know if I can keep up with 2 dogs - the puppy has poo poo-tons of energy and it's a bit... overwhelming.

What kind of floof is this?

Regardless of whether I keep or rehome her, she'll have a good home. I've already taught her how to walk on a leash, crate trained her and almost got the potty thing down. I just don't know if I can handle puppy behavior (Yes, I have been reading the puppy thread).

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Cute pup! Havanese mix maybe? Maybe with some poodle? Sort of depends on how big she is.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I'm curious if anyone has had any experiences with an australian cattle dog/blue heeler and lab mix.

I'm looking for a dog that can specifically be a mountain biking trail dog. I'm super familiar with lab personality and training having done significant hunting training 2-3 times in my life with family dogs, but not with the heeler.

I would never go straight lab for a mountain bike dog as they're horribly built for that type of work and distances (10-12 mi).

It's said online the ACD can be a bit more nippy and over protective at times--would a mix of the lab eliminate some of that? How much of it is learned or instinctual (IE labs obsessions with fetching)?

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 24, 2016

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ACD mixes being "a bit more nippy" than labs is the understatement of the year. In my experience ACD mixes tend to get a lot of ACD personality (mine is only supposedly a quarter ACD and very much has a cattle dog brain) and if you are used to/like lab personalities it's going to be a major adjustment. They're stubborn, they make horrific screaming noises, they use biting as a first course of action pretty regularly, and are generally just difficult dogs. They for sure will run after your bike all day happily but they might also take out other bikes on the path because they can be sort of motion sensitive. It's not trained, seeing moving things and biting them to get them to stop is hard wired and generally you have to actively train them to get them to stop.

I would look into other sporting dogs like pointers if you like the labs but want something less heavy or more agile. There are some super sporty little field labs or golden that could probably handle it too.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have an ACD and and ACD/Aussie mix. The ACD is definitely nippy, but the mix is not at all. I've even tried to get the ACD/Aussie mix to playfully bite me and he staunchly refuses.

It really depends on what mix of genes your particular dog ends up getting.

Edit: if you're looking for a dog with a specific set of traits getting a mutt is probably not the way to go. There are way too many variables and unknowns in mutts. You're probably better off getting a purebred dog from a breeder or a breed-specific rescue.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 24, 2016

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Remember though there are now plenty of breeders of dumb renamed mixes.

How are German Shorthairs?

Oh also no spaniels. Had a Brittany growing up and while beautiful no training could make that dog listen to complex commands. It got the dumb genes.

I figured a mix would be more robust for the endurance element and less chance of generic issues.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 24, 2016

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

c0ldfuse posted:

Remember though there are now plenty of breeders of dumb renamed mixes.

How are German Shorthairs?

Oh also no spaniels. Had a Brittany growing up and while beautiful no training could make that dog listen to complex commands. It got the dumb genes.

Brittanies aren't actually spaniels, they're a pointing breed like German shorthairs.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
No personal experience here, but my boyfriend's brother who is a marathon runner says that Vizslas (sp???) are supposed to be ideal if you want a running companion.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
It sounds like you should be more concerned about the breeder rather than looking for a specific mix. A working line GSD can easily cover 50 miles a day, a shittily bred one can't run a mile without hurting itself. If someone bred a lovely lab & a lovely ACD the puppy isn't going to be any better.

Huskies make excellent running companions and love biking but maybe you don't want a dog that occasionally might eat through a wall

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We got Bazooka just before Christmas.

She likes long walks in cold weather, slapping phones out of your hands to demand pets, sleeping under the kitchen table, and singing the song of her people at mealtimes.

She is an adequate mutt.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chernobyl Princess posted:

We got Bazooka just before Christmas.

A good mutt.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

We took Ridley on her first hike on Sunday.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
So things didn't quite work out with Chewie, but we didn't give up hope and found THIS GUY.

Meet ROCCO!

We were told he's a JRT mix. His energy level sure reflects that.

He's definitely mixed with something though, I mean, those legs are LONG.

He's a total bed hog.

We've taken him disc golfing with some success, his little nose was going a mile a minute!

My mom did a GIS on him, and it actually comes back that Rocco resembles an American Hunt Terrier, but again, the legs are totally wrong/too long. Unless he got the tall genes!

He's a good boy though, just need to work on some manners!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

crowbb posted:

This is Gypsy. I rescued her from a shelter/Petsmart adoption event thing 5 years ago. She was listed as a Border Collie/Lab mix. She definitely has a lot of Border Collie in her. She has the looks. She has "The Stare". I've seen her do the stalk too but not as often. The biggest difference I see is she is very tall. She is much taller than either of my parents' labs but at 57ish pounds weighs less. She HATES water with a passion. She will not come within 10 feet of the kiddie pool I bought when I got her thinking she would love it. She also thinks every animal is her friend and should play ball with her. It's hilarious when I see her look at a bird or squirrel and try to drop her ball near it. This did not go as well when she met a skunk behind my shed.

Here's some pics of her now, and her younger with my parents dogs and when also when I just got her.

Gypsy looks really similar to my buddies Rough Collie/Lab mix, very similar face/eyes and I'm guessing energy levels from the photo! Interestingly their dog (Utah) has no long hair characteristics at all, no fluffy tail, no fluff around the face. I guess it's all random.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

slothrop posted:

Gypsy looks really similar to my buddies Rough Collie/Lab mix, very similar face/eyes and I'm guessing energy levels from the photo! Interestingly their dog (Utah) has no long hair characteristics at all, no fluffy tail, no fluff around the face. I guess it's all random.

That's likely because the genes for a plush coat are normally recessive to those for short. :eng101:

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

slothrop posted:

Yes she has endless energy. She has that Collie single-mindedness too. If I go into the yard it is time to throw the tennis ball. It is ONLY time to throw the tennis ball. She will tolerate nothing else. No matter how much I throw that ball she never tires of it. No matter what else is going on she will not be distracted from it. Hilariously if I'm not outside anything that moves becomes her target for ball-time. I have seen her nudge the ball and bark at squirrels and birds, as if to ask them to throw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My dad just got a new "puppy" that was supposed to be a lab, and a few weeks later has morphed into a different creature. He doesn't care it's a mutt, but is curious what type of mix it might be. It's funny because the dog actually looks a lot like the other pup posted right above me! I was leaning Border Collie mix, thoughts?