Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Justin_Brett posted:

I still don't know why they fired a shot at Earthworm Jim of all people.

Considering where the Earthworm Jim series is now, maybe it was prophetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Good, now it's almost time for me to vehemently defend DKC3 at every turn.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Black Balloon posted:

The race trigger is skipped by flying above Screech at the start. Nothin' to do with taking damage.

Well, that's my error, then. I just remembered it always incurring damage, which given the gap between him and the ceiling is fairly guaranteed.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
DK3 gets a lot of poo poo, but it's generally pretty solid, except for Lighting Lookout. gently caress that stage forever.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ometeotl posted:

You're in for an uphill battle my friend. I've found that very few people have good things to say about it.

Hey Artix, which version are you gonna play? SNES or the GBA one with the extra world?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Artix posted:

I cannot overstate how much I hate the purple clouds and the final teleporting part. Like, this boss is perfectly fine aside from those two bits, and I can pretty consistently get that far without ever getting hit (when I'm not talking to my friends and trying to explain how all of it works while also being super salty about the previous level :v:), and I STILL blow it on the last hit 2/3 of the time.
This is pretty much my problem with Kaptain K. Rool as well. That, and loving HitboxesTM during phase 2 of the fight, especially with the spiked balls that rotate. That section was my bane for a long, long time. And then I found the purple clouds and went "NOPE :suicide:". The whole fight is a giant test of patience and timing, and it really turns frustrating because of how jittery you get during the course of the fight.

Also, you got super lucky with the last section of phase 1. Those two spiked balls have a 50/50 chance of being the cannon ball, so you can have a situation where you have to throw a cannon ball over a spiked ball while the boss is trying to vacuum you into his blunderbuss and not get hit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I think Screech's Sprint might be the only level to actually require that midair roll jump? Don't quote me on that but it definitely tripped me up a lot as a kid, not realizing that mechanic existed. And yeah I love almost every part of that K. Rool fight but the final hit is kinda mean. That dumb magic blunderbuss is amazing tho

Ometeotl posted:

I've been playing through all three games and uh you might just have a compatriot

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Ometeotl posted:

I literally just played the entire game to completion four days ago. You and I will be the most bitter of enemies.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Justin_Brett posted:

I still don't know why they fired a shot at Earthworm Jim of all people.

I like to think I'm to blame.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Looper posted:

I think Screech's Sprint might be the only level to actually require that midair roll jump? Don't quote me on that but it definitely tripped me up a lot as a kid, not realizing that mechanic existed. And yeah I love almost every part of that K. Rool fight but the final hit is kinda mean. That dumb magic blunderbuss is amazing tho

I've been playing through all three games and uh you might just have a compatriot

:hfive:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like DKC3, I just think they made the kong difference *too* pronounced.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also replaying these, i've realized why squawks is so awful. enguarde is a welcome sight in water levels because he changes your garbage inertial movement to much more easily controllable free movement. but squawks controls just like you do underwater. so he basically turns every level he's in into a water level

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess you could say K. Rool gave you the succ numerous times that fight. :haw:

DKC3 is a good game, and a lot of the things it introduces it does well, but gets a bad rap because it has a couple of bullshit levels at the end. But to be fair, those bullshit levels are the highest grade of bullshit. Lightning Lookout has lightning every two seconds, Swoopy Salvo is a DKC version of bullet hell, and the second half of Rocket Rush is section where you can't make any errors AND your controls are reversed. There's also a lot of grumbling about the enemy design being more cartoony compared to the first two DKC games, but I don't really care about that.

Color Printer posted:

Considering where the Earthworm Jim series is now, maybe it was prophetic.
Not to mention how horrible its creator turned out to be. I wonder how TenNapel took that Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

I guess you could say K. Rool gave you the succ numerous times that fight. :haw:

DKC3 is a good game, and a lot of the things it introduces it does well, but gets a bad rap because it has a couple of bullshit levels at the end. But to be fair, those bullshit levels are the highest grade of bullshit. Lightning Lookout has lightning every two seconds, Swoopy Salvo is a DKC version of bullet hell, and the second half of Rocket Rush is section where you can't make any errors AND your controls are reversed. There's also a lot of grumbling about the enemy design being more cartoony compared to the first two DKC games, but I don't really care about that.

Not to mention how horrible its creator turned out to be. I wonder how TenNapel took that Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage.

Y'know the stupid thing about that run I did the other day? I went into Swoopy Salvo fully expecting it to wreck my life like it had every other time I ever played it before, and it turned out not to be as bad as I remember. Then again, I apparently traded my soul for ultimate Dank power at some point judging by how that run went overall, so who the gently caress knows.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
"All that for a puzzle piece. Was it worth it?"

"Nnnnnnnope."

And yet, here we are.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Images aren't working for me.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I genuinely forget, has Retro ever done the Face And Hands enemy type before this? My memory of the Primes is a little sketchy at the moment without caffeine.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I really liked the Face-and-Hands Tiki Tong fight in this one. With exception to Wham Bam (or whatever that Kirby enemy you guys mentioned), you don't see these kinds of fights in platformers too much anymore. Also, I found Tiki Tong to be really hard for some reason, even though actually watching the fight doesn't really show it; he's one of the hardest bosses for me in the entire DKC series.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite face&hands boss is Balore from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Not because he's a really great fight or anything, but because he saves you from fighting yet another Giant Bat boss.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Lost World 3 :siren:

I intended to have this done for Wed but couldn't make it happen with schedules. So here it is now, the grand finale to DKC2. I hope it was everything you ever wanted.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love how K. Rool's gun is full of fish after his trip into the ocean.

Also, since my name came up regarding DKC2 hacking, a couple weeks ago I did a horrible thing.

I regret everything. This was true brutality.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FPzero posted:

Also, since my name came up regarding DKC2 hacking, a couple weeks ago I did a horrible thing.

You are history's greatest monster.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, like other people have mentioned, I too have words for DKC3. While I do like it, I will gladly admit to its many flaws and shortcomings. One of the biggest is that it has to follow DKC2, and thus is greatly overshadowed by its predecessor. Not helping things further is that the N64 had just dropped and Nintendo was slowly phasing out the SNES in 1996, hurting this game even more.

FPzero posted:

Calm the gently caress down, Satan. :magical:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Y-Hat posted:

There's also a lot of grumbling about the enemy design being more cartoony compared to the first two DKC games, but I don't really care about that.

This actually does kinda bug me and I think I figured out why. It's not that they're cartoonier. It's that they're not consistent. Dixie is just the same model reused from DKC2 and Kiddy is roughly the same style. The backgrounds are too bright and colorful to be "the same style" as DKC2 but they still err more towards the detailed and naturalistic than the cartoony, so they roughly go with the Kongs. But then you get the Kremlings (and the Bear Brothers) looking like they come from a completely different game. They don't mesh with the Kongs all that well.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

K. Rool is still the cartooniest thing in the entire trilogy, though, so...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Volcano is the point in DKCR where the level design takes a turn for the worse. The levels aren't hard so much as they are an exercise in trial and error. Even though I remember losing a lot of lives in Red Red Rising when I played through, Chaos Argate made it look like it was less bullshit than some of the other ones. Also, "Tiki Tong" is a horrible name for a final boss. At least the K level is shorter than a lot of others.

And yep, that bramble and wind section of Animal Antics is a whole lot easier if you're not constantly flapping. I didn't know that when I was a kid, though, so I never beat it until later in my life.

Derek Barona posted:

I genuinely forget, has Retro ever done the Face And Hands enemy type before this? My memory of the Primes is a little sketchy at the moment without caffeine.
Those spider robots in Metroid Prime 2 (as well as Quadraxis, which is just a bigger version of them) were more "face and body," but it can count if you want it to.

FPzero posted:

You're a real bastard.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

If you asked me how DKCR was going to end, "Donkey Kong punches the moon out of the sky" would not have been my answer :stare::hf::black101:

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 13, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I tried the Squitter thing too a few months back (although I just carefully made platforms above the barrel and below the thorns). Save States are pretty much required.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I don't recall having a load of trouble with Animal Antics as a kid, but I don't recall a lot of things about my childhood V:shobon:V Now Krocodile Kore can go gently caress right off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Squawks section is definitely at the high end of the game's difficulty, but I'd probably rather play that level than Toxic Tower or Screech's Sprint because it's not timed, and I'd hella rather play it than the slogs that are Glimmer's Galleon and Bramble Blast, because at least you're actually *doing* something.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: DK Island, Part 2 :siren:

Almost done! Next time is 6-K and the final boss.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I still find it funny that so many people have such big trouble with that Squawks section. I've always considered Klobber Karnage to be the most difficult level in the game. I'll never get why people have so much trouble with Animal Antics, or Airman, or a goddamn barrel.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Those spinies have a pretty generous grace period for pounding them off climbable surfaces. There's also a really silly way of clearing that screen without much hassle.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
That second one. WHAT.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fire-and-ice levels are definitely great. Some of the best worlds in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were those kinds of worlds.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Donkey Kong kind of rivals Samus or Nathan Drake when it comes to monumental destruction.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kemix posted:

That second one. WHAT.

I found that one out by watching the AGDQ run of Tropical Freeze. :allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
The avalanche level is bar none my favorite stage in the entire game in terms of artistic style. It's a silhouette level, it's beautiful, poo poo's falling apart around you, and all you do is just keep climbing higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So I just realized that each Kong has a unique part of them that has color in the silhouette levels.

Subtle, but visually different. I like it.

• Locked thread