Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the deal with these Vizio D series I see on costco (:canada:) lately. Started out with a 58" that was just a tad more expensive than the M55 so seemed worth the extra 30 or 40 bucks whatever it was for a few more inches. Have gone down and now is 80 bucks cheaper. Holy gently caress somebody give me a job so I can buy a new TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I have a J6200 in my wood shop and the IQ is fine for price. More concerning is your willingness to co-dwell with a stick pixel on a new set for more than a minute. RMA it immediately.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is there any benefit to reduce judder features? I noticed my TV was randomly speeding up framerates so I just set it to 0 and haven't had an issue since.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Don't use it. It creates interpolated frames.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hello thread, does anyone know if there is a difference between the Samsung JU6400 and JU6000? I have seen both listed in a couple of retailers, and the 6000 is usually slightly more expensive, but as far as I can see from the features they are the same tv.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Hello thread, does anyone know if there is a difference between the Samsung JU6400 and JU6000? I have seen both listed in a couple of retailers, and the 6000 is usually slightly more expensive, but as far as I can see from the features they are the same tv.

They have a different kind of stand. 6400 has one more HDMI and USB connection and +100 in PQI and uses max power of +10 watts.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I've got some first world problems. I have a Samsung 8500 here and no 4k discs to play on it. If anyone else has one, how does one set deep color? I only see chroma options.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Zogo posted:

They have a different kind of stand. 6400 has one more HDMI and USB connection and +100 in PQI and uses max power of +10 watts.
Thanks! I couldn't for the life of me figure out if there was a difference. The 6400 sounds like the way to go anyway (and it seems to be the cheaper one in the few places I've checked prices online for).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I've got some first world problems. I have a Samsung 8500 here and no 4k discs to play on it. If anyone else has one, how does one set deep color? I only see chroma options.
You also don't have any equipment to play 4K discs, so I wouldn't worry too much about lacking the discs.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I think he does. That's the model number for the UHD player.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/UBD-K8500/ZA

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, I thought it was a TV model. I'm dumb!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Recommendation on 50-60+" flat screen with good built in speakers? Do they exist? Living room setup would require running power cords either up the wall from a receiver to the TV or across the floor. Would like to find a TV that works well without external speakers.

This is solely for ascetics.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I think Samsung needs better numbering.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Recommendation on 50-60+" flat screen with good built in speakers? Do they exist? Living room setup would require running power cords either up the wall from a receiver to the TV or across the floor. Would like to find a TV that works well without external speakers.

why wouldn't you snake the power cord to a sound bar mounted below the tv with the power cord of the tv and plug it into the same spot?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Is this a good deal? http://slickdeals.net/f/8498577-50-sharp-lc-50lb371u-led-1080p-smart-roku-hdtv-379-99-free-shipping-bestbuy-com

I'm not see what a roku tv is? The Vizio 50" e class is $70 more, is there much of a difference?

Looking to blow my tax refund

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bigass Moth posted:

Look for a good deal on the discontinued LG 55EA8800? :v:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EwokEntourage posted:

I'm not see what a roku tv is?

A Roku TV is just a smart TV where the smart interface is Roku's. It's like having a built in Roku.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Unless it is some kind of custom build you won't find a flatscreen with good sound. The speakers size and the enclosure just don't allow for it.

If you are worried about aesthetics, there are many ways to hide cables or at least make them presentable.

sellouts posted:

why wouldn't you snake the power cord to a sound bar mounted below the tv with the power cord of the tv and plug it into the same spot?

This is also great. Especially one with a remote wireless sub.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

HFX posted:

Unless it is some kind of custom build you won't find a flatscreen with good sound. The speakers size and the enclosure just don't allow for it.

If you are worried about aesthetics, there are many ways to hide cables or at least make them presentable.

The wedge shaped Sony TVs have decent sound, especially the fancier ones with the speakers on the sides. That being said, I don't think they make them anymore, and it would be cheaper to get some other TV and mount a soundbar under it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can still get the Sony X930C but it's not cheap [$2800 for 65"].

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I know 4K is a ... iffy proposition. In theory, it's great, but very little content.

I finally got a good enough connection to pull Amazon content down in 2160p, and ... Honestly, very underwhelmed. Is this (Bosch) an example of something that wasn't shot in adequate quality to make a difference, or does the doubled resolution really make no difference when viewed in motion? (I ask this because a photo shown at 4K vs 1080p looks obviously different to me, but video doesn't really seem to.)

It looks minimally different from 1080p, to my untrained eye. A scene with lots of rain falling looked a little better, maybe?

For the record, 60" TV, about 6 feet away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bitrate plays a big part of it, and 4K footage streamed online doesn't even come close to 1080p footage on a Blu-Ray.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
So, I've got a 70" Sharp Aquos that I think is pretty much toast.

It started this crazy flickering or banding or something really bad the other day. I did some troubleshooting, cables, receiver, inputs, etc.. and it's all in the TV. Any input I put it on was having this issue. I unplugged it, and plugged it back in, and bam.. back to working just fine! Sweet! ..... for about 15 minutes.. then it started up again. This time, I unplugged the surge protector it's plugged into, and put it straight into the outlet. Once again, it worked just fine, and stayed that way for the last 3-4 days. I figured I was good to go, and the surge protector was just dying or something..

That is until tonight, when it started up again, and no amount of unplugging or anything will resolve it. I reset the factory settings, just in hopes that may help, but sadly, it's still happening.

Here's a quick video of what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAYwOIOFNI

The TV was a display unit I bought from Costco a little more than 2 years ago, so I'm not too sure there's much I can do with it at this point. Anyone have any thoughts or pointers? If not, I guess it's time to go TV shopping this weekend...

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
Heya! I'm in the market for a new computer and a new TV to use as a monitor. The wife and I keep it in the living room and it's our all purpose, like, thing. So I'm looking to drop about $800 on something 1080p with hopefully low input lag. I hope that sentence made sense. Right now we have an old 40-inch LCD and we wouldn't mind going a bit bigger. Any recommendations?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just off the top the top of my head, pretty sure the Sony 810c and Samsung JU6400 can do Chroma 4:4:4 over 1080p and 4K.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004

Slowhanded posted:

Just off the top the top of my head, pretty sure the Sony 810c and Samsung JU6400 can do Chroma 4:4:4 over 1080p and 4K.

Those both look pretty perfect! Do you recommend buying used?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Apparently the 810c just got a HDR update? I have no idea how that happens with a firmware update?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Apparently the 810c just got a HDR update? I have no idea how that happens with a firmware update?

It's possible that it was physically capable of meeting the standard, but needed updating to comply with newer standards.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My 2008 42" Panasonic Plasma refuses to die and i want something bigger for $1k max.

How much longer will the Samsung UN55JU6500 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (Best Buy $899) be around? I assume a replacement is coming soon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You will probably be dissapointed at black levels. Save another $400 and get a 1080p oled.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ah, good point and since even a 50" would be a nice bump in size for me is the Samsung UN50J6300 1080p worth getting at $700? I don't do any gaming just normal tv stuff (Dish HD, Apple TV Netflix, non-Blueray Netflix discs).

These Panasonics PZ80U's live forever - I also have several friends with the 50" model bought around the same time as mine in mid 2008 and theirs won't die either. :black101: These things also weigh 70-80 lbs so a real PITA to put on the wall so I never bothered.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 15, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
:hf: PZ80U.

Mine's still kicking, but my cat has begun systematically destroying it in the last year by jumping up on it and missing, putting long claw marks through the anti glare coating.

Guess I need a thinner TV he can't stand on.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think 8 years is all that much for a TV to last, 10 years would be a reasonable lifetime for a TV.
CRT's could go for 20 years (admittedly they wouldn't have much colour left at the end). If anything these LED's that only last 3-4 years are a disgrace. Your typical washing machine easily lasts 5-10 years and that is full of moving parts changing temperatures water and chemicals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I asked my friends recently about the Sony rear projection HDTV I sold them 5 years ago (after owning it for about 4 years myself), and they said it was still going strong. Hasn't even had it's bulb changed (and it was a shop floor model too). Sadly it suffered from some burn on one of the chips which discoloured the top inch or two of the screen which was enough for me to part with it, but it's not something that bothers everyone, and it's unnoticeable on anything with a wider aspect than 1.85:1. The CRT I just dumped from my parents house I've had for close to 20 years.

People always replace old stuff with new then say they don't last like they used to, except... they do.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

NihilismNow posted:

I don't think 8 years is all that much for a TV to last, 10 years would be a reasonable lifetime for a TV.
CRT's could go for 20 years (admittedly they wouldn't have much colour left at the end). If anything these LED's that only last 3-4 years are a disgrace. Your typical washing machine easily lasts 5-10 years and that is full of moving parts changing temperatures water and chemicals.

What brought this up? What the gently caress LCD only lasts 3-4 years and is considered normal?

I still have my first HDTV and it works fine, ~10 years old. 32" Westinghouse. I used it exclusively for 4:3 in my bedroom for a couple years, so for like nearly a year after that it had image retention of the letter boxing, but it eventually worked itself out.

I also have a 47" Sony that's 7 or so years old and still has the same picture quality as new as far as I can tell. Better than the new 55" Samsung I purchased recently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My Panasonic plasma didn't even last two years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 2010 Vizio M-series is still kicking after getting knocked over by my cat. Has some light bleed, but otherwise works fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Has some light bleed, but otherwise works fine.

Enough about the cat, did the TV survive?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh we're back on this topic.

Having said that, i'll join in. I have a decade+ old EDTV (854x480) plasma that the old homeowners left behind; it still works pretty great. i keep it at the end of my loft with an apple TV on it, and it works well; far enough away that honestly content looks great on it, though anything with a lot of text is mediocre (and the black levels are super not great in the daytime).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

My 2010 Vizio M-series is still kicking after getting knocked over by my cat. Has some light bleed, but otherwise works fine.

Vizio bought my m series back due to light bleed. was nice getting a check 23 months after i bought it for the purchase amount.