Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

chumbler posted:

They already know how to make an otherwise normal human survive natural aging and deterioration processes. Just eat merperson flesh like Jinbei.

Well yeah but I dunno if merpeople are an on-hand resource.

Eva has said that when all's said and done it'll be just Touta and Karin, so while not quite as high level, Touta is probably in the same boat as her for all intents and purposes.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Well yeah but I dunno if merpeople are an on-hand resource.

There's also the cyborg option like Ikkuu and Fate's psycho Shinmeiryuu underling swords-lady whose name I don't remember. And the master sorcerer option. I'm sure that as a classical mage with an effectively unlimited amount of time and money to spend on research, that Kirie could figure out some way to extend her lifespan with just magic. If the Lifemaker managed to become ageless with plain magic, without Kirie's advantages, I'm sure Kirie can manage.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm in favour of the merfolk approach because I think it'll be the funnier of the two to make a story arc out of.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ytlaya posted:

I distinctly remember a scene where several characters were sitting around, I think in the fat witch's castle place, and discussing the ramifications of immortality and how even the vampires and stuff would probably die at some point (for example Santa could feasibly be killed) but Kirie could potentially live forever, and Kirie got all scared at the prospect. I don't think Karin was even there.

Yeah, I definitely remember that scene as well, with Kirie freaking out over the prospect of living until the heat death of the universe or whatever far off planetary death time wise that would render the place where she was living uninhabitable (was it the expansion of the Sun as it turns into a red giant and swallows the Earth or something like that? She could probably get off planet, but I guess at that point she would've maybe lost the will to live after living through so much, maybe) during the discussion and everyone else there not taking it so seriously.

Oo Koo posted:

There's also the cyborg option like Ikkuu and Fate's psycho Shinmeiryuu underling swords-lady whose name I don't remember. And the master sorcerer option. I'm sure that as a classical mage with an effectively unlimited amount of time and money to spend on research, that Kirie could figure out some way to extend her lifespan with just magic. If the Lifemaker managed to become ageless with plain magic, without Kirie's advantages, I'm sure Kirie can manage.

This. She's got basically unlimited tries, time, and funding to make something like that happen if she really wants to.

And Fate's Shinmeiryu swordswoman is Tsukuyomi.

Speaking of which, with the Konoe clone children of Konoha and Setsuna set to make a reappearance in the next couple of chapters and finally start affecting the plot, if clone Setsuna took up the sword like her original, knowing Ken, I pretty much expect to see Tsukuyomi make another appearance, especially if Fate is involved again, seeing as how she's his lackey. Return of her psycho lesbian tendencies, anyone?

Might be a bit weirder than normal for Ken if he played that up a lot more this time around, what with him aging up Tsukuyomi physically quite a bit and with clone Setsuna being younger than her original physically (looks elementary school age to me, or whatever age Mizore is at). Then again, it is Ken after all...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 11, 2016

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I definitely remember that scene as well, with Kirie freaking out over the prospect of living until the heat death of the universe or whatever far off planetary death time wise that would render the place where she was living uninhabitable (was it the expansion of the Sun as it turns into a red giant and swallows the Earth or something like that? She could probably get off planet, but I guess at that point she would've maybe lost the will to live after living through so much, maybe) during the discussion and everyone else there not taking it so seriously.

Santa brings up a scenario of the Earth suddenly exploding and Kuroumaru thinks Kirie has to live through it for all eternity without being able to do something about it.
Then, even if nothing destroys Mankind, the Sun will still turn into a red giant and people would have to leave. In 5 billion years, that is. Kirie's so shocked about the thought of something inescapable that she doesn't even think about how long this last scenario takes.
Afro even asks if she's expecting to live that long.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lurking Haro posted:

Santa brings up a scenario of the Earth suddenly exploding and Kuroumaru thinks Kirie has to live through it for all eternity without being able to do something about it.
Then, even if nothing destroys Mankind, the Sun will still turn into a red giant and people would have to leave. In 5 billion years, that is. Kirie's so shocked about the thought of something inescapable that she doesn't even think about how long this last scenario takes.

That sounds about right, I knew I misremembered some details. That's still pretty drat depressing for Kirie when you think about it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The only issue is if there's a catastrophic incident during Kirie's lifetime that she cannot stop even with unlimited restarts. The heat death of the universe or even the red giant phase of the sun aren't things she actually has to worry about.

On the other hand, there was a comment from Eva earlier on about Touta and Karin's level of immortality being on the level where they would indeed reach the heat death of the universe.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
karin could maybe get god to forgive her and let her die

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elfgames posted:

I would rather she find value in living forever.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

ChronoReverse posted:

The only issue is if there's a catastrophic incident during Kirie's lifetime that she cannot stop even with unlimited restarts. The heat death of the universe or even the red giant phase of the sun aren't things she actually has to worry about.

On the other hand, there was a comment from Eva earlier on about Touta and Karin's level of immortality being on the level where they would indeed reach the heat death of the universe.

How is Touta's immortality different from Eva's? Isn't she the one who gave it to him?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

bootleg robot posted:

How is Touta's immortality different from Eva's? Isn't she the one who gave it to him?

That's what we (as readers) initially thought but now that we know he's a partial clone of Negi, we know he also has Magia Erebea immortality. What the difference is isn't clear but it's stronger than just Eva's vampiric immortality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eva definitely made him a vampire in the first chapter, but it is unclear exactly how immortal he was from the start. That flashback scene implied he was completely dead before she got to him. I'm also not sure just who the "parents" were that died during that flashback. I mean, there was a trio of graves including Negi's there. Were they even related to Negi at all?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

yeah, she's judas. im just saying she could probably toss up a my bad to the apparantly very real christian god.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

She even knows a guy who could totally put in a good word.

Actually, if Judas is a Japanese school girl, does that mean Jesus was too? Gonna have to rewrite the whole bible.

I am the way, the truth, and the kawaii.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eva definitely made him a vampire in the first chapter, but it is unclear exactly how immortal he was from the start. That flashback scene implied he was completely dead before she got to him. I'm also not sure just who the "parents" were that died during that flashback. I mean, there was a trio of graves including Negi's there. Were they even related to Negi at all?

I think he had to actually awaken Magic Erebea, which he didn't do until that fight where Karin got sent to the moon. Until then he was just a normal, everyday, semi-clone born of some forbidden fusion of magic and science.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 12, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Actually, if Judas is a Japanese school girl, does that mean Jesus was too? Gonna have to rewrite the whole bible.

What do you mean, rewrite?

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

What do you mean, rewrite?

Huh, it left out the part where his little bro went and learned Hiten-Mitsurugi Ryu and totally fought the Battousai.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangapanda.com/uq-holder/112

I wiped Negima's ending from my memory, can someone explain what this means in terms of timelines?

EDIT: maybe also a summary of the entire magical world final arc, I just remember there was some dumb queen that was related to both Negi and Asuna that Nagi fell in love with??? Was she Negi's mom and Asuna's sister or something? Also don't remember who the lifemaker actually is or why she was revealed to be a girl.

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 17, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

This is right and I did misremember it, though I'm also pretty sure Kirie can simply "turn off' her revivals when the candle runs out or whatever. So I'm not sure why the Earth blowing up would be a problem; at worst she might have to redo it like 20 times or something before the candle expires (and that's assuming she can't manually put it out).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CHACHACHACHACHACHACHACHA

e: oh yeah and confirmations of things we knew anyway I guess

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 17, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't think I'd be that happy to see Sayo again...And I never expected to see Zazie.

Man, most of the damned class was magical, wasn't it?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:frogsiren:Nothing but an old fashioned reunion.:frogsiren:

Tatsumiya and Zazie?! :krakken:

This chapter is just piling on the hype for what this tournament is gonna be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pinegala posted:

I wiped Negima's ending from my memory, can someone explain what this means in terms of timelines?

EDIT: maybe also a summary of the entire magical world final arc, I just remember there was some dumb queen that was related to both Negi and Asuna that Nagi fell in love with??? Was she Negi's mom and Asuna's sister or something? Also don't remember who the lifemaker actually is or why she was revealed to be a girl.

She was distantly related to Asuna. Asuna was probably her great great great aunt or something.

I was kinda surprised that those two are clones and not directly related to Konoka and Setsuna at all. I am glad that those two do not have any descendants, actually!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This is right and I did misremember it, though I'm also pretty sure Kirie can simply "turn off' her revivals when the candle runs out or whatever. So I'm not sure why the Earth blowing up would be a problem; at worst she might have to redo it like 20 times or something before the candle expires (and that's assuming she can't manually put it out).

She discovered her power by starving to death hundreds of times and she didn't have any candles then. It is implied it defaults to the last time she woke up. The candles allow her to control her return point. We don't know what effect snuffing out the candle has, but their burn time control the span of time she can reset, not how many times it can happen. The candles can be destroyed, so they have to be put in a safe spot.

-e-
There's actually nothing about what size the loop of her starving was.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 17, 2016

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I assumed Kirie uses the candles as a mental aid. She will reset to a time she remembers very vividly, and the candle-lighting ritual helps her strengthen her attachment to a specific moment. That's just speculation, though.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Oh man, time to get hype for this next arc. Nice seeing a bit of a summary of what happened before, and definitely awesome to see more of 3-A.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

pinegala posted:

I asked earlier and it's still not 100% clear to me, but I think the circumstantial tidbits of events that we've obtained thus far mean that UQ Holder could technically take place while Asuna is sealed (so, the first timeline). It could also be an otherwise untold/shown third timeline I suppose.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nate RFB posted:

I asked earlier and it's still not 100% clear to me, but I think the circumstantial tidbits of events that we've obtained thus far mean that UQ Holder could technically take place while Asuna is sealed (so, the first timeline). It could also be an otherwise untold/shown third timeline I suppose.

It's impossible to tell unless they mention Asuna either being imprisoned or released. Given the Class Rep's age it could be any timeline and everyone else would still either be dead, still alive via magic, or locked up in whatever magic prison.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

A harem of timelines.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

I was kinda surprised that those two are clones and not directly related to Konoka and Setsuna at all. I am glad that those two do not have any descendants, actually!

Huh? Where does it say that?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PerrineClostermann posted:

Man, most of the damned class was magical, wasn't it?
3-A members who weren't magic* in some form by the end:

Misa Kakizaki
Madoka Kugimiya
Sakurako Shiina (maybe, she has a ridiculous level of luck)
Fuka & Fumika Narutaki (not sure how much they actually learned from Kaede)
Satsuki Yotsuba

3-A members who weren't magic in the beginning but were by the end:

Kazumi Asakura
Ako Izumi
Akira Okochi
Haruna Saotome
Makie Sasaki
Chizuru Naba
Chisame Hasegawa
Nodoka Miyazaki
Natsumi Murakami
Ayaka Yukihiro

3-A members who were already magic at the start, including direct relatives of mages:

Sayo Aisaka
Yuna Akashi
Yue Ayase
Asuna Kagurazaka
Misora Kasuga
Chachamaru Karakuri
Ku Fei
Konoka Konoe
Setsuna Sakurazaki
Mana Tatsumiya
Chao Lingshen
Kaede Nagase
Satomi Hakase
Evangeline AK McDowell
Zazie Rainyday

*magic counted as including martial arts that might as well be magic and superscience that incorporates magic

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Huh? Where does it say that?

They are clones. They consider Touta their sibling just like that other girl. I suppose it is possible that the happy lesbian couple had kids somehow, but those two are not it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

They are clones. They consider Touta their sibling just like that other girl. I suppose it is possible that the happy lesbian couple had kids somehow, but those two are not it.

Or, y'know, that's how the happy lesbian couple decided to have kids.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paracelsus posted:

Kazumi Asakura

Holy poo poo, I forgot about her. drat, I miss seeing her reporter antics.

Maybe I should give Negima another read...

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I got so nostalgic for Negima that I tried reading Negima!? Neo. It was like seeing a ghost.

Every time I read Negima I skip to Eva, kinda get bored waiting for the tournament arc, get super hype when the Magic World arc starts, and then lose interest the second the final battle begins.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I must say I am looking forward to Konoka 2.0. I loved Konoka in Negima because she was so cheerful all the time. Her happiness was infectious, I guess. :unsmith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gyges posted:

It's impossible to tell unless they mention Asuna either being imprisoned or released. Given the Class Rep's age it could be any timeline and everyone else would still either be dead, still alive via magic, or locked up in whatever magic prison.

I'm going to guess she's still imprisoned, assuming that the White of Mars that was mentioned was meant magic cancel. If so, she holds the key to freeing Negi but is currently unable to assist, hence creating Touta and all that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

For some reason I'm really glad to see Sayo again, more than any of these other characters. Maybe she can get together with Santa...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paracelsus posted:

3-A members who weren't magic* in some form by the end:

Misa Kakizaki
Madoka Kugimiya
Sakurako Shiina (maybe, she has a ridiculous level of luck)
Fuka & Fumika Narutaki (not sure how much they actually learned from Kaede)
Satsuki Yotsuba

3-A members who weren't magic in the beginning but were by the end:

Kazumi Asakura
Ako Izumi
Akira Okochi
Haruna Saotome
Makie Sasaki
Chizuru Naba
Chisame Hasegawa
Nodoka Miyazaki
Natsumi Murakami
Ayaka Yukihiro

3-A members who were already magic at the start, including direct relatives of mages:

Sayo Aisaka
Yuna Akashi
Yue Ayase
Asuna Kagurazaka
Misora Kasuga
Chachamaru Karakuri
Ku Fei
Konoka Konoe
Setsuna Sakurazaki
Mana Tatsumiya
Chao Lingshen
Kaede Nagase
Satomi Hakase
Evangeline AK McDowell
Zazie Rainyday

*magic counted as including martial arts that might as well be magic and superscience that incorporates magic

This is actually pretty funny to think about.

As for this chapter, I can't be the only one who thinks that the last ~30 chapters made Tota a lot less likeable. I can't really describe it, but he seems less like a distinct character from Negi and more like "Negi with attitude" now. The "I love everyone" poo poo is pretty fucken annoying, too.

• Locked thread