Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Let's do the Mech chapter next. Keep Akira's name.

I do agree, there's a lot the Mech chapter could have done better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Let's do the Mech chapter next. Keep Akira's name.

I do agree, there's a lot the Mech chapter could have done better.

I feel like the Mecha chapter's storytelling, flaws and everything, is intentional, given the piece of media it's copying.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Sonic the Ninja sounds good to me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The real question about Ninja is, though, are we going to make Eevee kill 'em all or kill 'em none?

These are important things to consider.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Leavemywife posted:

The real question about Ninja is, though, are we going to make Eevee kill 'em all or kill 'em none?

These are important things to consider.
Haha, no. You don't get to do that. :v: Pacifism would mean avoiding most of the chapter's content, which wouldn't make for a very good LP. And killing everyone actively screws the player out of rewards, with no benefit in return. (Beyond your own personal notion of 'highscore'.)

I'll show where everyone is in case you want to be a complete sociopath in your playthrough, but the main run will have... 80-something kills out of 100, I think.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You can do a full genocide run, you just have to wait after a certain point to get the items and backtrack.

It's generally not worth it though.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can do a full genocide run, you just have to wait after a certain point to get the items and backtrack.

It's generally not worth it though.

Except for the hilarity, considering what you backtrack over and when.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Yapping Eevee posted:

Haha, no. You don't get to do that. :v: Pacifism would mean avoiding most of the chapter's content, which wouldn't make for a very good LP. And killing everyone actively screws the player out of rewards, with no benefit in return. (Beyond your own personal notion of 'highscore'.)

I'll show where everyone is in case you want to be a complete sociopath in your playthrough, but the main run will have... 80-something kills out of 100, I think.

Goddamn, I was going to vote for precisely the run you're all but certainly planning, I just did it myself last week while playing through again. Read my mind, why don'tcha.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
The next chapter looks like it's going to be ninja, but I have to vote for the default name for this and all remaining chapters, mostly because I'm one of those people who always uses default names when available.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I already voted for default names a few chapters ago, no idea if that vote still stands, but if not, here it is again.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Yapping Eevee posted:

...Man, ancient China had a lot of forests. And giant pillars of stone.

:eng101: It totally still does! It's a particular geological feature called tower karst, and whilst I don't really know much about it apart from it has to do with erosion, it looks abso-fuckin'-lutely spectacular. Remember those wild-looking islands in The Man with the Golden Gun? Same process, same ridiculously awesome result.

Oh, and Dr. Mc the Ninja

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mecha, Default Names.
Also,
O-D-O
0D-10
Odi Wang Lee
Yep, pattern.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I never thought of the Master as that small. I guess you lose certain things when you're converting to reasonable sprites.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Glazius posted:

I never thought of the Master as that small. I guess you lose certain things when you're converting to reasonable sprites.

He's a little, bald, wrinkly smiling old man. That's like textbook dangerous martial arts master that if you act incautiously toward them!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cosmic Afro posted:

He's a little, bald, wrinkly smiling old man. That's like textbook dangerous martial arts master that if you act incautiously toward them!

https://youtu.be/JRK_OMQGQlc

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 13: This stealth is an art.

Despite an initial surge of Mecha votes, the Ninja party got into full swing once a popular name was suggested. So let’s take a look at a chapter that hopefully won’t be too hard to explain.

-------

It was a dark and stormy night… Okay, maybe that’s a bit too cliché.

Let’s just take a look at the obvious villain inside.

A flame flickers into existence before something else trundles in. It makes a rather loud rumbling sound as it moves.

And then a pentagram just appears out of nowhere. :psyduck: This is a bizarre evil council you’ve got going here.

How are things progressing?

We hit a couple of snags, but we did finally manage to capture the target.

Hah! At last, I have him in my custody. What else is there to report?

Our mechanical friend is nearly complete. We simply need to strip off the shell and give him a nice new finish. The work will commence tomorrow at daybreak.

Good.

Please allow me to handle the spirits. I’ve not had fresh human in ages…!

As you wish. I can feel it… the world is slowly slipping back towards the brink of total war…

-------

Master…!

I see… So, you were unable to complete your mission.

I will try again!!

If you were to be killed, what would become of the Enma shinobi? I myself would go, but these old bones don’t move quite as freely as they used to…

But, my lord…

Can we send no one else…?

... I am loath to delegate a top secret mission of such grave importance to any other. Except, perhaps…

The man I have in mind has not yet finished training, but he shows incredible promise. He is already better than many of our finest. He is likely our best bet.

Ahah! What is this man’s name?

He is called…

The sad thing is that I’m sure blue-hedgehog-dressed-as-ninja artwork already exists, probably on DeviantArt.

:rolleyes: I think the honorific might improve this suggestion, honestly.

Bring him here. Immediately!

Actually, sir, he has been with us this entire time…

Even if you are a shinobi in training, I don’t think you should spy on your own lord’s secret meetings. That seems like it should be grounds for disembowelment or something.

Ah, Sonic-maru! Well then. I am sending you on a mission of grave import.

We haven’t been given a proper briefing, so let’s hear the whole spiel.

It is one of the many families who seek to take advantage of our nation’s chaos, with the ultimate goal of deposing the Tokugawa shogunate. Ode Iou is holding a political prisoner in his castle.

You might become as the shadows, silent as the stars… Or you could simply kill everyone who sees you. However! Whichever path you take, none must be aware of your presence. Do I make myself clear?

Crystal, sir.

...Make up your mind.

Allow me to teach you my secret art…

Press the Y button when you are being pursued by the enemy… So long as the button is held, you will become one with your surroundings. None shall be able to see you. I am confident that you will master it with little difficulty.

Boiiing~

The fate of this realm may very well be in your hands.

-------

The feudal times of ancient Japan are drawing to a close. As the era draws to a close, the future has become fearful and uncertain for many. And yet, there still remain those whose silent acts can change history’s course…

-------

Is it life that awaits him in Ode Iou’s sprawling castle…?

-------

-------

Welcome to one of the more complicated chapters, folks. And please do listen to both those tracks; the music’s excellent as usual.

Sonic-maru has quite a task ahead of him, especially since he starts with so little gear and less than a hundred health.

We do have this cloak though, which is essential for those wishing to stealth their way through this chapter. Enemies can actually wander right through Sonic while he’s hiding. :ninja:

Stealth is not the name of the game today, though. There is a reward for not killing a single person, but we can also get that another way. Sooo…

Time to get murdering! :black101:

The enemies in this chapter each have individual names, but all those with one sprite have the same stats and moveset. You will also encounter these guards in order; if I had fought a different set first, they would have been Yataro and Gonsuke.

Sonic-maru starts with a small selection of techniques, but will gain one with every level until he hits 14. Shinobi Slash is our basic attack, and Cross Slice hits all eight spaces around Sonic.

Blazing Butterfly looks pretty cool, but Sonic is in real danger of giving himself a 24-damage hotfoot with this. It’s a bit situational.

Oh, good. Sonic is kind enough to keep score for those players who feel like they really need to kill all 100 people here. There’s no reward for doing so, but if you want to challenge yourself, go nuts.

Oh, and walking to the front door will prompt you to Game Over yourself. We’ll take a look at that another time; we’ve only just gotten to the gameplay, so let’s explore.

Stealthy folks will need to trigger this fight, run from it and dash through the door afterward before the guards can re-engage. Get used to doing that a lot if you’re being a pacifist.

As is, Senta and Gonshichi get slaughtered.

Just inside, we get to spy on some of Ode’s men.

What’s the current password?

Ah-ha, good to know! :eng101: Pacifists want to know the password to bypass guards; murderers need to know it once to get a kill.

Oh, someone done hosed up.

Hah! Serves him right. With this password system in place, we will easily be able to tell friend from foe. Now, get to your posts!!

Sir!!

And everyone files out of the hallway, having finished providing us some valuable new intel.

First order of business: take the right hand door and murder Sanji.

This brings us to level 3, and nets Sonic some new armour from the nearby chest. You can also see that Sonic gains power and IQ in about equal measure, making him capable of being geared up for either stat depending on what you require.

In the centre room, there’s nothing but the password instructor.

Ima Ikuzo gets to help us demonstrate our new knockback tech as well, which has the added effect of laying down some weak water fields.

Oh, a random drop. We wouldn’t normally get one of these for a little while yet, but hey.

Tiny stat boosts are better than nothing. (Man, this is the most like a normal RPG things have been in a while, haven’t they?)

Yeah, yeah. The last five guys thought exactly the same thing.

Tsukuba Ichiro would be rather threatening if we didn’t have first-turn advantage, since we can both kill each other in about two hits.

In the room below, a guard is chasing a woman around. This brings us to the most important rule of this run: Whether you are a pacifist or a slaughterer, do not kill any women (yet).

Thankfully, ladies will actually give you a choice whether or not to follow through if you should accidentally interact with them. As is, we murder Gonpachi and leave her alone.

Now that we’re done with the first building, we can head out into the courtyard where two more blue-haired ronin await. Hayada Jiro and Nittai Saburo get whacked to bring Sonic to level 4.

Oh, and the bell rings. This means the password is no longer River, but something else.

This pair of clowns is our first password check, but before we deal with that…

There’s someone hiding under the awning over here.

Echizenya is a merchant, and they’re one of the chump enemies of the chapter. Funny spritework though.

Back over at the password check, we know that River is no longer the password, and that one guy got busted for saying Potato. So you could reasonably be expected to guess that Origin is the correct answer, not their boss’ name.

Answering correctly means that you no longer get to fight these dudes, soooo… :rip: Sukeroku and Kinji.

At least they let Sonic show off his new flame magic. Sorry, ninpou.

The interior of this second building has Waruhoso Shiro wandering around, as well as four doors. One of them leads to another hallway with three more doors. Things are about to get a tiny bit complicated…

For starters, we’re going to go into the second door from the right and kill the ronin Musashibi Goro, but not the samurai in orange. This is important.

We can leave this other double door alone, as it leads to a room full of women and nothing else. Instead, we’re moving into the second hallway.

The guarded room has nothing for us right now, but we can kill the guard by getting the password wrong again. (Aoyama Rokuro joins his buddies in an early grave.)

Next, into the middle room in this hallway…

And through a hidden door! The guy there is a bit too strong for us right now, so he gets to live a minute longer.

We end up in the attic, able to grab this treasure chest.

And with all our equipment slots filled, I think this would be a good time to cut the update off. Join us next time as Sonic-maru explores more of the castle in hopes of finding the political prisoner.

...Oh, and this is why people were voting for him to be named Sonic.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Not quite the speed of sound, but it'll do.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pretty sure most of the people that voted for Sonic as a name meant to reference the ninja with the same name from One Punch Man, not the blue hedgehog.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Haha, Sonic ball. It's funny because of the spin dash It's almost definitely a different "maru"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the name is based off this unfortunate and innocent soul:

Innocent because just look at that smile.

Unfortunate because...uh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Awful crashed loading that gif just on the moment of impact. One hell of a punch. :v:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah the name is based off this unfortunate and innocent soul:
I'm not sure which of those two images will cause more nightmares.

Also, I could play that last bit as a joke, but I'll admit that you can put this one down on the ever-growing list of references I didn't get. :v:

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 9, 2016

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If the Cowboy's name gets presented as "The (Name) Kid", can I vote that when it comes to time to name him, we call him Milkybar?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Whybird posted:

If the Cowboy's name gets presented as "The (Name) Kid", can I vote that when it comes to time to name him, we call him Milkybar?

Seconding this.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Whybird posted:

The correct name is Waco. The Waco Kid.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I've been pretty excited to tell you guys about this chapter's illustrator, since the resident anime fans will probably be pretty jazzed. Oboro was designed by Gosho Aoyama, the creator of Detective Conan, known in the US as Case Closed. There's not a ton else to say besides the man being easily the biggest name Squaresoft got for the game. He had actually just started on what would become his most famous work the same year he did this chapter, and once we're far enough into the chapter for Eevee to show off the artwork from the OST, you'll probably recognize his style if you've seen Cased Closed at any point.

ArcadePark posted:

The correct name is Waco. The Waco Kid.

Thank you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

This is a pretty decent chapter. Sonic-maru is funny since both references are valid.

Lessons Time:

This Chapter's Character Gimmick is straight up explained: press Y button to disappear. It's essential for doing stealth runs although it has the issue that you cannot move at all while using it. Then again, it also gives intangibility so...

The Chapter Gimmick is the whole 'Stealth vs. Genocide' run bit. There are straight up 100 NPC's in the castle that you can kill. You can kill all of them, or none of them. Both are valid runs. The reward for killing no-one is a particularly powerful item that you can get the equivalent of in other ways. Also it's impossible to do some of this chapter's content in a stealth run (that fish :argh: )
Getting 100 kills on the other hand is also not a walk in the park, since if you kill everyone you come across you're going to miss out on some people (as well as some very, VERY important items for Oboro Sonic-maru.)

Overall, the Stealth Run is more of a novelty run in that it's completely possible and cleverly designed for you to do so. But the true path to power is through XP! :black101:

Oh right, about our character. Sonic-maru, as befitting his crazy running speed is straight up the fastest character in the game, bar none. However most of his techs are based on PWR/INT due to being attacks or ninjutsu although some of the ninjutsu follow weird rules. IIRC he does have an attack that runs off of his bonkers speed, but quite often you'll want to use his ninjutsu for their effects rather than their damage.

That's pretty much this Chapter's Combat lesson too, status effects are pretty powerful and enemies generally only have four resistance stages to it: vulnerable (nigh 99% application) neutral (50-50) resistant (~10-20% application) and immune (like, 1% chance of application.) Nothing in the game is outright immune to all status effects, there is always a chance to apply them.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 10, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the ninja chapter is super cool but man good luck if you've got a bad sense of direction

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also it's impossible to do some of this chapter's content in a stealth run (that fish :argh: )

Remember when I said that some of the harder bosses have hilariously stupid weaknesses?

If I recall correctly, this one is exceptionally stupid.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I dunno, the caveman chapter was also pretty traditional. Unless the greater amount of found vs. crafted equipment here is pushing it over the top.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Chapter Gimmick is the whole 'Stealth vs. Genocide' run bit. There are straight up 100 NPC's in the castle that you can kill. You can kill all of them, or none of them. Both are valid runs. The reward for killing no-one is a particularly powerful item that you can get the equivalent of in other ways. Also it's impossible to do some of this chapter's content in a stealth run (that fish :argh: )
Getting 100 kills on the other hand is also not a walk in the park, since if you kill everyone you come across you're going to miss out on some people (as well as some very, VERY important items for Oboro Sonic-maru.)

I believe that particular piece of content, and another optional piece of content, can be done on a stealth run. It's hard, but it can be done. There is a way of levelling even as a stealth player. (I stealthed this section and ended it with a reasonable level.)

Before the Kung-fu chapter recedes into the mists of history:

Yapping Eevee posted:

A style of Kung Fu generations old is about to fade away, forever…

Foreshadowing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

I believe that particular piece of content, and another optional piece of content, can be done on a stealth run. It's hard, but it can be done. There is a way of levelling even as a stealth player. (I stealthed this section and ended it with a reasonable level.)

This is true, I've also done it. It's incredibly tedious without that Gameshark code you showed off earlier, but it can be done.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

There is a way of levelling even as a stealth player. (I stealthed this section and ended it with a reasonable level.)
Oh right, I forgot about that because it's a right pain. Should have said 'nigh impossible.'

It doesn't help that Ninja is my least favorite chapter so I tended to get tired with it by the time I was ready for the optional stuff :v:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 14: What an a-maze-ing castle.

Welcome back to Sonic-maru wandering blindly through a castle, folks.

After passing through an empty hallway, we come to yet more doors. It’s no wonder that someone voted to do this chapter first because they had gotten lost and wanted guidance.

We came out of the left-hand door, and this next one just connects to the room with ladies inside. So we want the larger southern door at the end.

Inside, Namano Yadazo the samurai and Daikokuya the merchant await their executioner. They had a pair of Castella in the nearby boxes, which are stronger healing items than the couple of Tenmusu Sonic starts the chapter with.

The north exit leads out toward a storehouse, Boei Shichiro the ronin and…

Sukezo and Kinji, who are guarding a locked door. We can’t get into either of these yet, so it’s back inside we go.

The next door we want is at the south end, furthest right.

Echigoya here is our 22nd kill, for those of you keeping score.

He manages to randomly drop this thing, the evilness of which I feel justifies his murder.

Man, this place is lousy with secret doors.

... I’ve never seen you before… What’s the password!

Now this is the one time where you need to know the current password even on the violent route, because this guy won’t accept the two phony options. He’ll say “Isn’t that my favourite dish?!” or “Isn’t that the name of our leader?!” and make you choose again. (...To potato and Ode Iou respectively, obviously.)

If you choose the right password:

Aha, a new recruit? Then you can patrol the attic. If you see anyone suspicious, report to me immediately!

And of course, if you choose the wrong one…

The predictable thing happens. Murderers can now safely ignore the bells for the remainder of the chapter.

Hey, here’s a move we haven’t seen since King Mammoth! Good thing this guy isn’t as threatening as they were.

(No music.)

As you may have gathered, the ladder behind our ninja friend leads up into the attic again. Although it seems that there are other folks up here…

Shhhh…! Keep your voice down! They might hear us! We’ve come so far. It’d be a shame if they caught us now!

But, Dad…

I know. Not only will it restore our family’s honor, but we’ll be big hits in town after we spread the wealth around a bit…

C’mon, let’s hurry!

Wait a sec! This place is probably littered with traps. I’ll go first…

What…?

Good luck…

Thanks…

-------

Ha, I see you, thief!

No looking back now!

Go for it, Dad!

Haahaha!

-------

(Music stops.)

...And that’s why we only killed one of the two men down in that room! The other guy would have vanished if we hadn’t killed him before this scene.

Also there’s that name again, and another boy crying for dead-father-related reasons. (Even the sub-antenna in Cube’s chapter had the main one go down first.) The Watanabe name seems to be cursed.

Oh well, waste not want not. :devil:

As for this hole in the roof… Let’s do a little spying.

Mountain!!

Oh...... Dammit, wait a sec, just wait a sec… What time is it again…? Oh, right! Origin!

OK!!

If you happen to lose track of the current password, say by loading a save partway through the chapter, this is how you can find out what it is again.

The rats up here are harmless… at present. And these two holes are for spying on other conversations; the bottom one is just chatter between the samurai and merchant we murdered earlier (only if they’re still alive, obviously).

In another less violent timeline posted:

I have no need for this thing…

Wh-wh-what do you mean? … If there are any changes you need made, just tell me…

All right…

Thank you, Minister.

The northern spyhole, however…

This is certainly more interesting information. And also quite bad practice on the guards’ part.

Now, trying to move to the northwest corner of the attic causes this dude to pop up. Stealthy folks will have to be pretty quick with their cloaks here.

Yeah, yeah. We’ve heard it all before, Azusa.

At least that pushed Sonic up to level 5.

The silent attic has one more chest with another Castella inside, and one last peephole.

:psyduck:

Okay, I need to go ask that old man what the hell he’s doing.

Uhhh…

Well, this certainly was a thing. And you’re actually not allowed to kill either of these two right now if you’re going for 100 kills, because killing only one makes the other flee, and remember: Don’t kill women (yet).

But again, I don’t care about that nonsense. The old man is extremely weak.

Sorry, lady. I have to give you one more spin to resist the murder urges.

...That sounded worse than I wanted it to.

While I’m down here, I’ll go ahead and avenge the Watanabes.

Yowa Izo gets a nice lungful of poisonous powders, though they don’t seem terribly effective.

Oops, almost forgot. Next door to the spinning parlour…

This jerk had the forethought to have ninjas guarding him.

The extra level helps make taking Shimofuri Suzume and White Moth down simpler than if we’d tackled them earlier.

:ese:

Oh, I should point out that the Candles in the corners will attack if you hit them with magic. So watch your fire.

Alright, we’ve finally cleared out this building. Now to crawl out of the attic…

And out onto the castle wall.

Our first password check was just down there to the right, for those of you who might be getting lost by this point. Oh, and guess what? There’s a secret entrance on the left side of this little corner building, hidden beneath the awning.

This chapter has a lot of hidden stuff and sneaky surprises, if you hadn’t noticed.

Speaking of which. :v:

This is a silly game sometimes.

Goninja is a dangerous opponent, though the battle intro gives away his gimmick. Defeat the one furthest back, and the rest will Break Down.

This fight can very easily get Sonic killed, so don’t be afraid to start using some healing items.

It does help push him to a new level though. :toot:

I shouldn’t have tried to divide myself into five parts…

Well, duh.

One chest has more Money, and the other holds this item of dubious value. +2 defence for -8 speed? Ehhhh.

Hey, there’s the gate where we entered the castle.

...You might find yourself getting an express trip right back there if you’re not careful.

If you avoid the single trapped tile and keep following the wall, we can get to the storehouse that was just north of the second building.

Along with another Castella and an empty chest, we can find the key we need to get in at ground level. There’s also a path further north in this crawlspace, but we’ll leave that for later.

--------

Alright, so this building that Goninja was hiding in?

It has another entrance that’s also obscured from view. It apparently counts as a storehouse, according to our shiny new key working on it.

Why yes, this is as incredibly suspect as it looks.

How did you find our secret meeting place!?

Whoa, hey there.

So the gimmick of this room is that when you beat up Shiosai, Yamamayu and ‘Japanese Moth’ hop down. And then… Well, you get the idea.

Kinugasa, Benitengu, Dokusasako and Shoro are just the same enemy four times, so here’s Sonic’s new attack instead. It’s basically his ‘normal’ attack, but with a range of six (and a range shadow of one). It’s pretty handy.

Our prize for fending off seven ninja is the basement key, which is a very handy thing to have.

But before we get to that, we have the real storehouse to raid.

It has quite a few items for us, and something that is perhaps even more valuable. See those wisps?

These are Lost Souls, and so long as you don’t kill the ghostly lady in the corner, they will respawn every time you enter the room. They also don’t count for our kill total, so this is the pacifist’s chance to level up. (Their EXP value is 6, so that’s a good stopping point for now.)

...Wait, that’s not the right music. Oh well; see if you can figure out what other game I’ve been playing lately.

As you may imagine, elemental attacks are the way to go here.

The treasure they’re guarding consists of a pair of Tenmusu, an Ode Shuriken (consumable attack item), a Topknot (which we lucked into earlier), Money, Izanagi’s Scroll (another attack item), and another questionable armour upgrade.

We still can’t enter this third building, so we need to find another route. And to do that, we need to go almost all the way back around to the upper storehouse entrance…

And just before we get there, hop down this tree and open a secret entrance. What, you didn’t think you could interact with either of those things? Then you’re going north through the crawlspace instead, which we will get to later.

An important note for later: As Sonic walks down the long north/south corridor here, there are a pair of faint clicks. There’s a secret within a secret here, but, well… We’re not strong enough to investigate it just yet. So keep that in mind for later.

The door at the end of the passage leads to the moat for some godforsaken reason, so let’s take a dip.

...Man, being rostered to swim underwater in the freezing moat all night in case of intruders must suck.

Kodama, this guy and another named Hokuto are all swimming about out here. The background’s a nice change.

So, uh… This might be hard to see, but there’s a shadow in the water two spaces north and three east of where Sonic is. It follows you, so try your best not to touch it.

Both the secret in the corridor and that shadow are bonus bosses, you see. Ayla and Sonic’s chapters are the only two of the seven to have any, IIRC.

We’ll come back to deal with them later; for now, we seem to have found the castle jail.

And after dispatching Harai Taizo, Sonic can start poking around and trying to figure out who he’s supposed to be rescuing… next time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Isn't there a bonus boss in the caveman chapter too? The King Mammoth or whatever the biggest thing you can hunt is?

Not to disparage the ninja chapter or anything, Though it is kind of odd we're picking up so many pieces of armor that slow us down.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Glazius posted:

Isn't there a bonus boss in the caveman chapter too? The King Mammoth or whatever the biggest thing you can hunt is?

Not to disparage the ninja chapter or anything, Though it is kind of odd we're picking up so many pieces of armor that slow us down.

They don't slow you down, it's just that much of the early gear in the chapter comes with speed bonuses that you need to give up to wear the Genji gear. The gloves are easily the least impressive of the lot, the Shinobi Gauntlet is about equal in usefulness, and definitely superior for OboroSonic's build.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Glazius posted:

quote:

Both the secret in the corridor and that shadow are bonus bosses, you see. Ayla and Sonic’s chapters are the only two of the seven to have any, IIRC.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 15: Meeting many strange men.

So in addition to the two prisoners we saw earlier, the nearby staircase leads up to another set of cells and a man acting as warden. You, uh… You don’t want to fight him just yet.

Oh, and the exit is further west. Pacifists actually want to leave the jail immediately, not trying to get into any cells. I’ll explain why later.

You were sent to get me outta here, right? Great! Let’s get going!

Hmm, is this the guy we’re here for? I don’t think Sonic got a name from his boss.

Might as well let him out anyway. You need the basement key to open any of the cell doors; if you didn’t snatch it from the seven ninjas, the warden has a copy.

However…

A fake prisoner, huh? Guess the real Ryoma must be who we’re after. (This guy is a regular ronin, so he dies easily.)

This dude is an rear end in a top hat. He will eat up all your healing supplies if you try to appease him; just introduce Kiyomizuya to the business end of Sonic’s sword.

The theatrical-looking fellows in the next cell are also hostile.

The other man is called ‘Nice’. :shrug: They have a counterattack called Revolver Shot, but it does only 1-20 damage.

Mind you, Sonic’s the one killing people with butterflies. :sparkles: Strength of Ninja is his first charged move, and it can inflict Sleep and/or Poison when it doesn’t kill targets outright. Works on everything in a 5x5 area centred on Sonic.

The ‘Weirdo’ enemies (as an old RPGC site calls them) have a chance to drop our first accessory; it’s a very minor boost, but Sonic can’t really be picky about accessories.

With all the people in cells upstairs taken care of, we can look at the other two prisoners. It is very much in our best interest not to set the ninja free just yet, so let’s talk to the guy with the treasure chest.

-------

(No music.)

Well, this is a very cheery place. But at least it has stairs out.

I finally have you…

Ah, so you’re the pentagram from Ode Iou’s meeting. A blonde pretty boy.

I’m afraid I can’t let you go. You must be here to rescue that man, but that’s quite impossible, you see.

He’s kind of a jerk, but he’s not entirely wrong. If we were to challenge him…

Hehe… I am immortal… Still want to try it?

The fact that you have to say yes a second time might be a good hint that this is a poor idea. If we persist…

And here I’d thought you were smarter than that. You really are a fool! Now… Behold! I will send you to my Master!!

Ahhh… Amakusa Shirō is a real historical figure, a Catholic who led an uprising, got betrayed and executed at the age of 16. He vowed to return in one hundred years for his revenge… though he’s some 120+ years late for that, since this is the Bakumatsu era. :eng101:

Fighting him is pointless right now, though doing so does spell out what to do about his ‘immortality’. So let’s back off for the moment.

Hehe… Wise choice. Enjoy your eternity in this basement…

Now we have a mildly tricky task ahead of us. Each wisp is a Lost Soul, and they will all respawn after a certain amount of time. So Sonic has to run between each one, kill all of them and get to Shiro before the timer ends.

At which point he seems rather more nervous about what we might do to him. :getin:

He’s not a very threatening enemy; having the regular battle music is kind of a giveaway.

So, one act of butterfly-related murder later…

(No music.)

D-defeated…! No! It can’t be!! M-master…!!

And with that, blondie flickers out of existence.

I remember Xander wondering if this was a reference to the virgin Mary. I can’t think of any better explanation.

Oh, right. Almost forgot about him.

And here I was tryin’ to catch a little shut-eye… Oh well… Anyway, am absolutely famished! Got any grub? No? Ah, well… Shouldn’t have thought so, given the circumstances… Huh?

Nope!

That must mean…

Excellent! I’ve had just about enough of this place… I suppose I’ll let you lead me out of here!

:krakentoot:

...Man, why did this guy need rescuing? Especially with that very nice sword of his (which no, we can’t steal for ourselves).

Ryoma gets all of Sonic’s spare gear, including the Chain Mail now that we have this nice upgrade. You can’t see it here, but Maria’s Veil also supposedly boosts evasion against Mind and Fire techs.

Alright, we’ve managed to break Ryoma out of prison. The hole in his cell is still there though, so we can’t see what was in his chest. It’s Money.

Time to tie up a loose end.

Sanshu Jirosa is the first elite samurai in the castle, and he hits like a truck. This is what will most likely happen to Sonic if you try to fight him without Ryoma’s help.

Ryoma will take something more like 40 damage, even with hand-me-down armour. Oh, and these are his techs. All three of them. He won’t get any more… not that he needs them.

Because aside from a ranged attack that can lower the enemy’s level and an anti-foot move, Ryoma has Polaris Single-Blade. This will perform about as well as Sonic’s basic attack, but it comes with a pretty good chance to stun enemies. It is very possible that Ryoma will stunlock most enemies to death.

Or keep them locked down long enough for Sonic to unleash his killer butterflies again.

Alright, let’s see if we can find a way out of here that isn’t just backtracking through the moat.

One flight of stairs later, another man is smart enough to have sprung for the ninja bodyguards. Hawk Moth and Ennominae aren’t any stronger than the last dozen or so.

I’m never going to complain about easy experience though.

Takao gets his old body torn to shreds by a magical sandstorm which can lower IQ.

Psychopaths will have one less than this, but we are well on our way toward butchering the people inside this castle.

The nearby chest has a long-awaited weapon upgrade for Sonic; it is sadly the second-best weapon he gets in this chapter.

Heading south out of that room, the next one is being a little bit sneaky. There’s a secret door here…

In the south wall. Did you see the two brown squares on top of the wall? (This chest only contains an attack item.)

Oh, and this woman copies your movements… Unless you leave and reenter.

In which case she’s locked herself inside the box.

You have to trick her if you want to kill her, but again: Don’t kill women (yet).

Let’s get on with exploring the rest of this third building instead.

There are four guards in the next hallway; Ogura Yoshiko and his underlings Bukko Robuzo, Kataga Korozo and Ikaku Saizo.

The southern door is the one next to the storehouse… You know, the one that can’t be opened from the outside without a key we don’t have. :v: It’s needless to say that you shouldn’t go that way.

Let’s stay here a little while longer, mmm?

Especially since despite saying he would let us lead him out, Ryoma has no desire to leave the castle.

You should also not go into this first northern door.

Who are you? (wink)

:gonk: That is one ugly old woman.

One very strong, very ugly old woman.

Who is now chasing Sonic-maru.

And who takes 16 battles to kill.

And who I believe still counts as killing a woman, thus screwing the player over.

Disturbing old women in bed: Not even once.

So let’s avoid that enormous trap entirely and continue on, shall we?

Another hallway leads into yet another group of doors. Incidentally, I hope the architect for this castle met a grisly end.

Daiku Kyuro here sure does.

Huh. Well, I certainly can’t say I haven’t learnt anything doing this LP. (The other chest contains Money.)

The hallway’s centre door leads to the old man Nakano and two ladies, the former of which is swiftly dealt with.

The third and final door is the way to progress, as well as… either a very tiny man, or a crude imitation of Thomas the Tank Engine.

...Do I even need to tell you that the blue tile is trapped?

I mean, it was pretty obvious.

The Trap Master works the same way Goninja did; defeat him and whatever traps he’s brought with him will Break Down. Each of the Wood Post enemies will just slam into us for about 25 damage, so it’s easy to kill the one on the left and go cut up the tiny robot.

Like so. This fight is repeatable, but offers no more experience than fighting a Lost Soul.

I hope you’re not feeling too lost in this place. It might have been even worse if we’d come via the upper storehouse (which we will go backwards through eventually).

Upstairs, we have a little side room with a few goodies. We have a Tenmusu, an Ode Shuriken and a copy of Sonic’s starting sword… as well as Money in the jar behind the woman, though you’d have to kill her for it.

You don’t even have the usual dialogue option on account of her being an assassin. So let’s avoid talking to her.

The way onward has another side path, but we’ll explore that later. Just keep going south through the many, many doors.

Tashigeki Toshiyuki comes over to say hello.

The next door along is another that you may wish to avoid. For this woman…

...is some kind of horrible demonspawn. :stonk:

It also hits like a truck, takes about 20 damage from Polaris Single-Blade and has 144 HP. It’s also only worth one Lost Soul, so I’d suggest giving this one a miss.

Unless you feel like being stubborn, of course. At least this definitely doesn’t count as killing a woman.

Okay, let’s try the next one.

...How rude. At least it didn’t crush us to death.

Daikuma Eiki is a master of stating the obvious.

So many doors.

Kato Kiyobumi makes the mistake of getting in our way…

...as does Kitao Juro…

...before we get to this little encounter. We’ll see what’s up with that lady next time; good breaking points are few and far between in this chapter.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

One flight of stairs later, another man is smart enough to have sprung for the ninja bodyguards. Hawk Moth and Ennominae aren’t any stronger than the last dozen or so.

Hey, something even I caught! This looks a lot like 'In Nomine', a latin phrase meaning 'in the name of'. Usually in the name of god, naturally. But looking for the exact spelling I found out that 'In Nomine' was also a title given to a whole bunch of musical pieces starting from the 16th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So for those who don't know, this is the guy we're rescuing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakamoto_Ry%C5%8Dma

He's basically the father of Japanese democracy. If you try to go for a republic in shogun total war 2, you are basically trying to do what he wanted to do.

Also he was assassinated shortly after the events here.

Unless you do something about that.

His presence here makes it rather interesting, as it puts the chapter on par, timeline-wise with the cowboy one, in the mid-1900's. There's a lot of people who played this, I think, without knowing who he is and ended up assuming that it was centuries earlier because of the architecture, clothing and enemies. (I wonder if the fact that Ryoma uses gun techs confused them.)

• Locked thread