Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

I've been enjoying ED for the past several days and, man, your video really drove home just how janky and miserable SC is.

You should continue to follow your heart and make videos.

I think that's one of the ways that really shows you how much work they have left to do to even get close to a playable game. Like... the first time I fired up Arena Commander, the last space game I had played was probably TIE Fighter in the 90s, and Arena Commander seemed okay I guess. After dumping a couple days into Elite, going back to SC really highlights how loving lovely and janky the whole thing is. Even simple poo poo like setting up your controls is a nightmare in SC, to say nothing of the weirdly overpowered thrusters and massless ships.

e: baby Kayak picture for maximum page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Is your dog half cat? :catstare:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is your dog half cat? :catstare:

Sort of 1/4 cat, 1/4 rabbit, 1/2 dog and 100% ridiculous.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Well I am having fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSlX4ZA3GY

Think I am outgrowing Movie Maker though

This was really fuckin' funny and I'm a fan of your videos having themes to them

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Not bad, all in all. Needed the music balanced a bit better (I still really have no clue what it was other than some kind of background noise - OH! CIG ripoff idea! MP3 kiosks! (Do not steal!)). Other than that, pretty drat funny! O7

So, what do all you commandos use for your awesome vidya editing?

Thanks, that music is a special custom track called "I Forgot Pandora Was Still On" but I won't be doing that again haha. Seriously at one point in the video I'm pretty sure there's just a FourSquare commercial playing. Woops!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Some fantastic art in the last few pages here. Such fidelity. It warms my heart to know that Star Citizen has produced some quality material - just sad that none of it came from CIG.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
It's nice to read this thread without some girl fawning over her boyfriend every fifth post.

Has anyone actually figured out who eight ace is?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Some fantastic art in the last few pages here. Such fidelity. It warms my heart to know that Star Citizen has produced some quality material - just sad that none of it came from CIG.

The amount of content this thread has generated would make a hell of a coffee table book.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Making of (the) Star Citizen (Thread)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I don't know what, they want from me
It's like the more money we come across
The more problems we see

C.I.G., M-O, J-P-G
Every patch, thirty, whole G.B.
Derek Smart alts are mad cause I'm flagrant
Doxxed my wife, and my kids, yeah I claimed that
I troll my own dev team
The Connie, every whale's dream, I made that
Can't you see it's all about me
rear end in porsches, Stimpire tortures
Backers, I told ya, send your cash to me
Think too much, I lose, too much
Star Marine made whales boo too much
I guess you don't get how game dev works too much
Me lose my touch, never that
If I did, ain't no problem to get it back
Where the true players at?
See your Connies in the sky
Janking side to side poo poo can barely fly
While my bitch is getting high, Sandi please
Such a tease, backers see, C.I.G.
I lost my poo poo when I read the Escapist
Watch Braben go, man's got my number
His game, it got to grow, I got to go
Make a fake game trailer, planetary
lizandings, Dangerous
On trizack, leaves my rear end kizzacked

I don't know what, they want from me
It's like the more money we come across
The more problems we see

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

EightAce posted:

The Stimperial vessel has docked in Wilmslow in the heart of Manchester.
Lord Crobbler is now at large . So that's a load of work in the bin ....................

I'm assuming he has a place to crash over on your side of the pond.

Or does he slum it in 4 star hotels?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

MeLKoR posted:

How can they get persistence going when they have nothing else? What would persistence even mean? Certainly they can't get persistence going before they solve the million bugs, the first time a whale got teleported from his autism chariot the forums would explode.

There isn't anything to actually persist.

Can't wait to watch the brown sea spew its fecally-enriched guts out into the cosmos when the persistence bugs start hitting.

Doomed Sperg: "I opened a ticket because my $45 USD size 5 lazors disappeared when I disconnected, and now they're not showing up when I log in. WTF?"

CM Zealot Sperg: "Thread closed due to forum rules 67d: 'CIG is not responsible for any loss of digital assets because any DBA we hire takes one look at the schema and whelp, fucks off', 82b: 'Any complaining about anything in any way is saycrime, and subject to immediate probate. Saycrime will be string replaced to ensure any/all text is appropriately aligned with the party message.' Rule 6b: 'Complaint threads need a poll.'

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

MeLKoR posted:

How can they get persistence going when they have nothing else? What would persistence even mean? Certainly they can't get persistence going before they solve the million bugs, the first time a whale got teleported from his autism chariot the forums would explode.
This is exactly what I'm waiting for. Now normally it isn't a big deal because character wipes at the end of beta testing is assumed, but nothing about SC's development is normal so who knows?!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

celewign posted:

Has anyone actually figured out who eight ace is?

The champion of this thread as he's the only person to have taken money from Chris Roberts rather than given it to him

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Thirsty Dog posted:

The champion of this thread as he's the only person to have taken money from Chris Roberts rather than given it to him

:wow:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

:five:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

redwalrus posted:

Galarox, you have inspired me to take my work to the next level.

Haha wow

I thought Gary'd been squeezed dry at this point, but there's still blood in that rotting corpse

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

There isn't anything to actually persist.

Dead on. What would persist? What would a character wipe mean, for example?

- Player inventory - Is there a bank or other storage? Does it persist across areas, or is each bank an individual instance? What can I store?
- Ship inventory - Does my vending machine stick around once I place it in the hold? Is there physical or virtual inventory tracking? Will the cargo area stay like I arrange it, or dynamically populate with inventory upon ship spawn?
- Ship persistence - Will my weapon loadouts stay the same between sessions? Can I move modules between ships? If so, how? Where are modules stored?
- Player advancement - Do players get experience and grow over time? Do players have persistent weapon inventories? Weapon carry limit? How do I choose what I am carrying? Where are the overflow weapons stored? What other types of things can I carry?
- Fleet inventory - Where are the ships stored? Do I have all my ships available from every pad? Or do I leave them at stations like Elite or EVE?

These are foundational questions - things you should have nailed down before you write the first line of code, or even choose a game engine. What is this game? The question nobody asked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Dead on. What would persist? What would a character wipe mean, for example?

- Player inventory - Is there a bank or other storage? Does it persist across areas, or is each bank an individual instance? What can I store?
- Ship inventory - Does my vending machine stick around once I place it in the hold? Is there physical or virtual inventory tracking? Will the cargo area stay like I arrange it, or dynamically populate with inventory upon ship spawn?
- Ship persistence - Will my weapon loadouts stay the same between sessions? Can I move modules between ships? If so, how? Where are modules stored?
- Player advancement - Do players get experience and grow over time? Do players have persistent weapon inventories? Weapon carry limit? How do I choose what I am carrying? Where are the overflow weapons stored? What other types of things can I carry?
- Fleet inventory - Where are the ships stored? Do I have all my ships available from every pad? Or do I leave them at stations like Elite or EVE?

These are foundational questions - things you should have nailed down before you write the first line of code, or even choose a game engine. What is this game? The question nobody asked.

Yeah.

If the game finally reaches a point of an economy, it will be interesting how they reconcile grind vs keeping the whales happy. I think that will be the greatest poo poo fest with all the whining from both sides.

I can dream the game will lurch along to get to that point of development.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Haskell9 posted:

Well-spotted, because I missed it. Then again you still think Zecumbe isn't a goon.

I'm pretty certain zecumbe in the thread was someone who got their account name changed. I remember I searched for posts by him a couple days earlier (because I'm a creepy stalker) and got a "no user by that name" error. Also he made a point of using beer's first name in a passive aggressive reddit post

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What a nutcase.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318740/you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me#latest

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

If the game finally reaches a point of an economy, it will be interesting how they reconcile grind vs keeping the whales happy. I think that will be the greatest poo poo fest with all the whining from both sides.

Yeah, there's no way that can turn out well at all.

Progress is too fast? "I don't see why some noob who didn't even support the development of the game should be able to get the Javelin I mortgaged my house for in less than a year of work!"

Progress too slow? "I mortgaged my house for this loving Javelin & it didn't even come with turrets. Every time I get forced into non-consensual PVP & it gets destroyed in short order, I have to grind for a month to re-equip it, or throw down $150 to fill my UEC wallet up!"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good morning

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The funny sentence, for those keeping track, is "I'm not a violent person, I would only hurt someone in self-defense."

tracking this

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EightAce posted:

For Monty Python fans

Customer (John Cleese): Good Morning.
Owner (Michael Palin): Good morning, Sir. Welcome to Cloud Imperium games customer service!

[…]

O: The cat's eaten it..........

Are we to expect the ending to be the same? If so, is there any way to check who among the top brass has sneakily taken out a life insurance on whom?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Surely they could hook the game up to an in-game store browser and a credit counter. Star Citizen would be persistent and nobody would even have to touch the PU servers.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Eonwe posted:

good morning

Good morning 'mando!

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm pretty certain zecumbe in the thread was someone who got their account name changed. I remember I searched for posts by him a couple days earlier (because I'm a creepy stalker) and got a "no user by that name" error. Also he made a point of using beer's first name in a passive aggressive reddit post

Passive aggressiveness?! On Reddit?! Well I never.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

Iridium posted:

when I got my account refund, I kept an aurora I'd added to a second account for my kid.

Much in this vein, I spent the evening teaching my 8 year old daughter the importance of griefing. We "helped" poor stimpirites get their ships launched by taking over the controls and doing it ourselves, or occasionally "nudging" them off of the pad to help them get going.

Later, after I'd left her to her own devices, she cheerfully announced "DADDY! I'm annoying someone!"

I am of course incredibly proud.

This made me so happy. Gonna teach my girl 2night. Put my Connie to good use.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

What makes the whales happy is new exciting ways to spend money, not any actual content that would contrast with their incredibly specific and boring dreams

The next "big" "feature" to be implemented will no doubt be the in-game shipshop and clothes

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

runsamok posted:

Yeah, there's no way that can turn out well at all.

Progress is too fast? "I don't see why some noob who didn't even support the development of the game should be able to get the Javelin I mortgaged my house for in less than a year of work!"

Progress too slow? "I mortgaged my house for this loving Javelin & it didn't even come with turrets. Every time I get forced into non-consensual PVP & it gets destroyed in short order, I have to grind for a month to re-equip it, or throw down $150 to fill my UEC wallet up!"

And this is where the hand waving amorphous claims of Roberts comes into play. He stated it doesn't want to be a grind and one could get a Constellation with 40 hours of gameplay (I'm not entirely certain of that number but you get my gist.) Which of course some brave soul did the analysis and was laughed out of reddit because he knew nothing about numbers and how unsustainable it all was.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

I need a bigger catte tree

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eonwe posted:

good morning

good morning :eonwe:

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
New article up on Gamespot with crobberts complaining that people don't understand game development and should stop expecting releases anytime soon. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hi

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
if only id have told them that the game wasn't actually ever coming out

oh wait

poo poo id better put out an executable that can legally be defined as a game

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Inkel posted:

New article up on Gamespot with crobberts complaining that people don't understand game development and should stop expecting releases anytime soon. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-creator-wishes-hed-explained-games-de/1100-6434856/

Ever time I read a quote of his I fear I might get an aneurysm or have a stroke

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

"Unless you just want to pocket the rest of the money, which isn't my thing at all; I want to make the best game possible."

Cripes, that speaks volumes of ones character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
There is no sustainable business model.
The plan was to flip the whole thing and sell the entire lot to a big name publisher allowing certain people , lets call them majestic twelve to retire as millionaires.
This didn't happen , the more money came in the more that Chris genuinely believed he could do this.He told the big names to gently caress off
So now they have to find a way of monetizing, hence talk of console and splitting up content into separate packages etc.

Even if they shove out a half assed bug ridden mission pack with 100000 of cutscene in it at some point next year they need to shift GTA type units to make a profit because they have to then complete the rest of it stretching into 2020 and I'm not talking about Star citizen here which is simply undo able.

There will be jail time and there will. most probably be deaths connected to this

• Locked thread