Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

EoRaptor posted:

The cataphract is an okay ballistic platform, though the meta currently favours the jagermech due to better arm position. The 3D and the 0XP are both good cataphracts.

Taking a ballistic mech into CW is currently bad, because ammo limitations will curtail your 'staying power' in a fight, and force you to abandon an otherwise good mech.

drat. I was so stunned at seeing that they'd created an actual tutorial and a Smurfy-style mechlab, I was hoping PGI had derectocephalised itself long enough to fix the easy stuff too. Oh well.

Does the same apply to missiles, meaning CW is an all-energy-boats party?

Also, not like I'll be able to afford any more for a while, but what are good mech modules to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
CW is only useful for getting free mechbays, and yes, it's mostly all large lasers all the time.

Don't do CW unless a goon group is doing it, otherwise you'll just want to murder people.

I did a pubdrop in my Atlas S yesterday, only to see a DDC lrming. I died a little inside. I've started using my flamer on teammates if they put lrms on Atloxen.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Banano posted:

oh my sweet summer child

I'm really amazed something like that could be left out.. i thought I was just missing some obvious button.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

NihilCredo posted:

drat. I was so stunned at seeing that they'd created an actual tutorial and a Smurfy-style mechlab, I was hoping PGI had derectocephalised itself long enough to fix the easy stuff too. Oh well.

Also, not like I'll be able to afford any more for a while, but what are good mech modules to have?

CW meta is still playing range with lasers. SRMs can work in a coordinated push but probably won't

Radar Deprivation, Seismic Sensor, and your range/cooldown mods of choice are the best modules

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

hemale in pain posted:

I'm really amazed something like that could be left out.. i thought I was just missing some obvious button.

This would cut down on the amount of mech bays and mechs and modules and weapons and engines that you need to buy, you see.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

You can carry enough LRM ammo if you wish, though LRM's don't do well in CW because the need to push towards a physical objective kills the standoff advantage they (attempt) to have. There are some limited uses during defense, but it requires a team to be set up around the concept, and isn't viable if the other team is ready for it (AMS, ECM, etc).

Map design in CW also favours direct line of fire lanes, so ER-LL and LL are the dominate weapons. There is no 'counter' strategy except to also boat ER-LL or LL, so, here we are.

You do get SRM usage as part of CW siege breaking (atlas push) but that's designed to achieve certain one time goals, and the limited ammo isn't a problem there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

You can carry enough LRM ammo if you wish, though LRM's don't do well in CW because the need to push towards a physical objective kills the standoff advantage they (attempt) to have. There are some limited uses during defense, but it requires a team to be set up around the concept, and isn't viable if the other team is ready for it (AMS, ECM, etc).

Map design in CW also favours direct line of fire lanes, so ER-LL and LL are the dominate weapons. There is no 'counter' strategy except to also boat ER-LL or LL, so, here we are.

You do get SRM usage as part of CW siege breaking (atlas push) but that's designed to achieve certain one time goals, and the limited ammo isn't a problem there.

back in the day you could kinda make a HBK-4J work on defense because like, it's only 50 tons and the refire quirks are p. crazy

nowadays it's probably much less viable though

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Plek posted:

Sounds like a reason to introduce ammo modules. Spend 6+ billion cbills for "lightened" or "densely packed" ammo or something.

e: Modules that let you buy different ammo, not modify already existing stuff.

Adding a $6mil "ammo tax" to `Mechs is not a good solution.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

This is also basically why goons will often lose when we drop against a full, organized group. Dropping in what we like (with the caveat that you're still at least using an effective build (always drop in what you like)) is fine for pubs but boy can we get hosed hard against coordinated laserboat groups.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is also basically why goons will often lose when we drop against a full, organized group. Dropping in what we like (with the caveat that you're still at least using an effective build (always drop in what you like)) is fine for pubs but boy can we get hosed hard against coordinated laserboat groups.

yeah, like ... getting hit by 36 ER Large beams at the same time from 1000m away is v. bad for your health

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Honestly goon groups should just required 1 light mech with at least 2 flamers on it. Light flamer rushes hit soooooo hard now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Oh Snapple! posted:

Not to mention quite a few of those try hard groups are pinpoint accurate out to 1000 meters somehow.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lmao flamers are great. 3 spl 3 flamer cheaters are fun as gently caress

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Talmonis posted:

To be entirely honest, since they doubled armor for the game, they should double Ammo per ton. That would go a real long way to fixing ballistics.

You are correct, when they first blanket raised armor to increase the TTK there was a lot of talk about how badly it nerfed ballistics, then they doubled the ammo per ton, then they increased armor AGAIN and neglected increasing ballistic ammo leaving it in the state it is now where it's way too heavy thus leaving only a few special cases being able to use them.

Adding caseless ammo would be great, it would add a lot of viability to the existing ballistics. There are a ton of builds that would become viable if you could pack on double the ammo and add a 5% jam chance or something. But they are incapable of changing weapons to allow for multiple ammo type so :pgi:.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 18, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

veedubfreak posted:

CW is only useful for getting free mechbays, and yes, it's mostly all large lasers all the time.

Don't do CW unless a goon group is doing it, otherwise you'll just want to murder people.

I did a pubdrop in my Atlas S yesterday, only to see a DDC lrming. I died a little inside. I've started using my flamer on teammates if they put lrms on Atloxen.

CW is huge money, you gain money way faster when in an organized group that wins every game. Million+ games are very common, and when you stomp the games are over in less than 15 minutes.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

When do we get the imp?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Good question. Considering the IMP was manufactured in 3050, shouldn't we be seeing these in-game?! GIVE ME MY ASSAULT TRASHBIN!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Washout posted:

CW is huge money, you gain money way faster when in an organized group that wins every game. Million+ games are very common, and when you stomp the games are over in less than 15 minutes.

Therein lies the problem :v:

Is there any way to adjust how long firecontrol holds down the key? Or is it just up/down.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Adding a $6mil "ammo tax" to `Mechs is not a good solution.

I would never have claimed it was. The pricing and module set up in MWO is loving garbage. I think modules should be free. You already pay for them with either a shitload of time grinding GXP or with time+money to grind XP and then paying for conversion.

Plek fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 18, 2016

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Clan flamers are only 0.5 ton.

Inner sphere flamers are 1 ton.

Cheetahs can mount an ECM

Urbanmechs cannot.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

The Saddest Robot posted:

Urbanmechs cannot.

There's one tiny problem here though.

Cheetah is not an Urbanmech.

Sadly not every mech can be :perfect:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Life just isn't fair.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ahahah, the "full retard" king crab is hilarious.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I love my firebat hero urbanmech but the arctic cheetah is just better in every way as a firemans.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Is the flashman the urbies uncle?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

The Saddest Robot posted:

Urbanmechs cannot.

This is a great username/post combo by the by.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Is the flashman the urbies uncle?

Older brother imo. The one who was really into skrillex and UFC.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I have asperger's and an I.Q. measured in the 140's.

Yay for me.

I shall not read any comments to this post, and by logic, reply to this post.

You do know that the minority ruin this game for the many?

I have now turned to doing mass blocking and treating this game as a single-player experience.

I didi want to join in.

I know my voice can be grating, my tactics weird...but workable...

Anyway...I suffer triggers...my mental illness is not internal, but external...I build up experiences over time and that means your little comment here or there adds to it. It gets to a point I implode and became a total ***. Then I hate myself...go into depression and mood swings.

Right now I don't know what to say!

I'm enjoying Elite:Dangerous...I have a Force-feed-back Sidewinder 2 so it's cool.

Anyway...I win about 80% of games I've give verbal commands to.

I've been shot in the back by my own side, yelled at, and absolutey treated in an obnoxious way.

Okay...I'm asperger's...but I do my best to not be like that.

I have had so much abuse thrown at me that I...have walked away from my favourite game...and gone into serious depression.

I know I'm not amazing, and thrown by my ill-wired-brain I can be odd, but I often win battles when listened to.

It's sad really, and so wounding to the soul.

I think I may have stumbled onto something or maybe a goon.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/222499-mental-illness-and-mwo/

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
19, the game has been crashing a lot since the latest patch.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

PoptartsNinja posted:

19, the game has been crashing a lot since the latest patch.

That sucks. Please be sure to send in the crash reports so the team can review them and fix it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

That fellow is an embarrassment to people with Asperger's.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have a high IQ which is why people think I am an rear end in a top hat and also why I am not good at this game, I'm simply too smart.

I have a problem with the Rifleman, it is too vulnerable to be a brawler, but too big and slow to zip around in. How are you supposed to play it?
I have mastered the Crab, Enforcer, Cataphract and Thunderbolt and none of them took anywhere near the time it has taken me to even basic the Riflemen. It took me 19 games to basic the 3N :cry:

Does anyone have any good tips?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Rifleman is a bad robot, sorry.

What it really shows is how ballistics are unbalanced currently in the face of energy weapons. It can't boat energy weapons so it's sub par. 3 AC5's or 3 LPL are probably the best builds it can manage (both with XL engines). Stuff like 2 ac10+med laser or 2 ac20 are just way underpowered currently in comparison.

Edit: I saw a few with 2 LL and 5 mediums, that's good too.

Washout fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 18, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Washout posted:

What it really shows is how ballistics are unbalanced currently in the face of energy weapons. It can't boat energy weapons so it's sub par. 3 AC5's or 3 LPL are probably the best builds it can manage (both with XL engines). Stuff like 2 ac10+med laser or 2 ac20 are just way underpowered currently in comparison.

I managed to cram 3LPLS with a standard engine on the 5D, but the Legend-Killer needed an XL to have 2 uAC/5s and holy poo poo it dies so fast :(
Thank you for telling me it's a bad robot though, now I can absolve myself of any responsibility of my bad performance :tipshat:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Is there any place for the rifleman in a world in which the Jäger exists?
It just looks like a Jäger with less weight allowance, basically nudging you into a laser build?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is there any place for the rifleman in a world in which the Jäger exists?
It just looks like a Jäger with less weight allowance, basically nudging you into a laser build?

It's place is on the shelves of OG battletech fans who wank themselves silly over the unseen mechs.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

It's place is on the shelves of OG battletech fans who wank themselves silly over the unseen mechs.

What was its role in the tabletop?
Was it equally useless there, or was it different ages or something?
At some point it must have made sense to exist i think.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Songy posted:

If you want to make a brawler with SRMs then pair them up with pulse lasers instead of ERSLs imo
I love SRMs. I also love large pulse lasers. The problem with a Timber Wolf is that if I put the lasers on the arms then I can't peek over hills to snipe, and if I put them in the left shoulder then I can't put SRMs there. My dream mech is one that has high mounts for large pulse lasers and can pack four SRMs anywhere else.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What was its role in the tabletop?
Was it equally useless there, or was it different ages or something?
At some point it must have made sense to exist i think.

Rifleman is, officially, an anti-air mech. Its job is to shoot down aircraft. Taking one into combat against another mech is one of those things that is considered borderline suicidal at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

I love SRMs. I also love large pulse lasers. The problem with a Timber Wolf is that if I put the lasers on the arms then I can't peek over hills to snipe, and if I put them in the left shoulder then I can't put SRMs there. My dream mech is one that has high mounts for large pulse lasers and can pack four SRMs anywhere else.

Well if you settle for 3 srms, i would recommend the Ebon Jag.
To get the pulse lasers in the shoulder mount, you need to put another energy weapon in the snout though, i recommend a flamer. (or is there a way to specifically mount weapons to certain positions in a multi-hardpoint component?)

• Locked thread