Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
And now there's a peer-reviewed paper about designing machines with error tolerance so that everyone can mine butts 30% more efficiently:

Why not keep this to yourself and capture 30% more butt profit?

edit: it also relies on making GBS threads up the blockchain and having everyone else figure it out to reject the bad entries during validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Tomato Burger posted:

edit: it also relies on making GBS threads up the blockchain and having everyone else figure it out to reject the bad entries during validation.

I once jokingly told a co-worker it was easier for me to make him look worse than it was for me to improve my own performance while we were going over yearly reviews.

I guess the same applies here when you deliberatly shoot your competition in the foot and run off ahead.

Buttcoins encompass all the worst aspects of capitalism. Can't wait to see what happens when half of everyones computing power is now dedicated to loving over the other guy.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tomato Burger posted:

And now there's a peer-reviewed paper about designing machines with error tolerance so that everyone can mine butts 30% more efficiently:

Why not keep this to yourself and capture 30% more butt profit?

This contains such brilliant and incisive quotes as "...any reduced hash rate leads to a lower hash rate" and is basically buttcoiners.txt like you said. Instead of error checking any positives to see if they're false positive the newer more efficient designs discussed skip all that stuff, say "looks close enough to me, poo poo it out on the network as fast as you can" and if it's wrong let someone else figure out what to do with it.

Of course it's more efficient if you put your processing power towards just finding the next hash and force the rest of the network to do your error correction for you. They don't say that though, instead of saying it directly they dress it up with fancy words like it's a revolutionary new form of computing going to be the next big thing. Prisoner's dilemma all over again like so much of buttcoin. All the individual cares about is most efficiently grabbing the butts for themselves, so for them specifically it is most advantageous to spend their time/computing power figuring out another false positive instead and just hope that one's right while off-shoring the process of error detection. What happens when the entire network is composed of people making GBS threads out false positives constantly? Eh gently caress that who cares, gotta get more butts.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, it makes a lot of sense in the progression of the arms race. We all thought it went CPU->GPU->FPU->ASIC and that it would stop there, where else could it go? Turns out there's another step that is so perfectly buttcoin we couldn't even imagine it: CPU->GPU->FPU->ASIC->Everyone else's ASICs

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What if you made ASIC for people but never sent them and used them intill they were worthless?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

`Nemesis posted:

He later tweeted that he got in touch with Satoshi who was going to get his money back, he is just trolling.

Sitoshi [sic]

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tenzarin posted:

What if you made ASIC for people but never sent them and used them intill they were worthless?

Exactly! But now they've found a way to decentralize the practice.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Bad Munki posted:

Exactly! But now they've found a way to decentralize the practice.

Truly this is the future of democracy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Are any of the people who spent vast amounts on BFL hardware still using it, or is it hilariously outdated now?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

there is a bus stop not too far from where i live that's right in front of a bodega that has a bitcoin ATM and i have no idea why

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Are any of the people who spent vast amounts on BFL hardware still using it, or is it hilariously outdated now?

Outdated by the time they "shipped".

Here's my favourite, the mininrig - 500GHs 18 case fans and 16 inside!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLt1gBi2fm0

Here's a review if you haven't already seen it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=249353.msg2647513#msg2647513

quote:

Butterfly Labs has a long and horrible history with their mining rigs. They started taking pre-orders over a year ago, with a ship time sometime in late July. After numerous delays in production, shipping problems and general incompetence, the only thing they’ve managed to get out the door are some of their tiniest miners, the Jalapenos. And those mainly ended up in the hands of reviewers and blogs in order to keep pumping the Butterfly Labs hype train and securing millions of dollars of pre-orders still in limbo.

Lucky BFL forums user Luke-JR however scored a sweet Mini Rig from Butterfly Labs (it’s just a coincidence he’s a driver developer for them I’m sure). This rig was originally promised to produce 1500 GH/s hashing power at 1500 watts for $30,000, but has since seen it’s hashing power slashed to a third of what was promised and it’s power consumption increased 75%, now just offer 500 GH/s at 2400 watts. They’ve promised to make good on pre-order buy sending out 3 rigs to match the initial hashing rate, so now it’s only 1500 GH/s at 6900 watts, a reduction in GH/Watt by a factor of 5.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/hackers-are-holding-a-hospitals-patient-data-ransom/463008/

quote:

The hackers that broke into the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center’s servers are asking for $3.6 million in Bitcoin, a local Fox News affiliate reported. Hospital staff are working with investigators from the Los Angeles Police Department and the FBI to find the intruders’ identities.

There's no way this doesn't end in a bucket of laughs and tears as a fresh pile of idiots get carted off to jail :allears:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Are you also starting to feel that Bitcoin isn't sufficiently retarded in this day and age? Well, good news! Why not introduce the HumanCoin, it's like butts, but requires proof of waste of human life instead of computer time.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

klafbang posted:

Are you also starting to feel that Bitcoin isn't sufficiently retarded in this day and age? Well, good news! Why not introduce the HumanCoin, it's like butts, but requires proof of waste of human life instead of computer time.

That's cool as hell. I mean in theory not in practice, kind of like bitcoin in that way.

edit:

quote:

Third, proofs of human work are fair by nature. Professional or rich miners would not have an advantage over regular users.

Uhhh, having the resources and/or connections to set up a third world humancoin farm would be a pretty huge advantage. Like way bigger than the ability to buy some GPUs.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah, sweat shops, child labor and literal slave labor are still a thing but of course they're bitcoiners so they never go outside.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
The whole idea of "proof of work" only makes sense if it's work that has some value. Make a CancerCoin where you have to prove you have done work for a project like Folding@Home or something. The HumanCoin is just a dumber combination of something like ReCAPTCHA except the work done has no value, and the buzzword of the day.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I think the PoW has to be easy to verify which (probably) isn't the case for protein folding.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would love to see the sloppy mining practice become mainstream. If enough people do it (read: the two pools adopt the practice) then there's a solid chance some actual garbage will end up as canon in the blockchain. Depending on the sloppiness, maybe a lot. And then somewhere down the line, it becomes accepted that the blockchain is basically 50% invalid hashes or whatever. The hand-waving needed to address the problem at that point will be enough to power a small wind farm, which in turn will power more sloppy miners.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The guy doing a Bitcoin open forum at my work is a legit true believer. I'm so excited to go but my troll game is really weak :(

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/hackers-are-holding-a-hospitals-patient-data-ransom/463008/

There's no way this doesn't end in a bucket of laughs and tears as a fresh pile of idiots get carted off to jail :allears:

quote:

Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center paid a $17,000 ransom in bitcoins to a hacker who seized control of hospital's computer systems and would only give back access when the money was paid, the hospital's chief executive said Wednesday.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hollywood-hospital-bitcoin-20160217-story.html

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Can you even imagine being the hospital IT employee tasked with having to to explain things to/run decisions by/get approval from hospital management to source $17,000 of bitcoin

My vision of hell

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Serak posted:

Can you even imagine being the hospital IT employee tasked with having to to explain things to/run decisions by/get approval from hospital management to source $17,000 of bitcoin

My vision of hell

you really think the hospital it guys sourced the bitcoins and paid the guy

lol

they should all be fired by now honestly l

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why are all of these cryptocurrencies named "____coin" instead of "____ Fun Bucks" or whatever

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Y-Hat posted:

why are all of these cryptocurrencies named "____coin" instead of "____ Fun Bucks" or whatever

https://www.reddit.com/r/cryptoshekel

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/bitcoin-startup-butterfly-labs-settles-with-ftc-for-38-6m-but-it-cant-pay/

Butterfly Labs only owe the FTC $38 million, will pay $19,000 in what seems like an entirely appropriate settlement

The queue for refunds is only 2000 people long too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

The guy doing a Bitcoin open forum at my work is a legit true believer. I'm so excited to go but my troll game is really weak :(

Pretty sure we work at the same place/site. I really want to go to, but then again, I'd rather work than hear about butts.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I love it when the FTC or SEC drops the hammer on people.

I can't wait for those 'we're a hedge fund but we make sports bets instead of buying securities, "invest" with us!' people to get the SEC's attention.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

WhyteRyce posted:

Ask him if it really only takes a 64digit key or something to have full access to the bitcoins of someone and watch him start explaining epoxying the LAN-connection of a laptop.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Serak posted:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/bitcoin-startup-butterfly-labs-settles-with-ftc-for-38-6m-but-it-cant-pay/

Butterfly Labs only owe the FTC $38 million, will pay $19,000 in what seems like an entirely appropriate settlement

The queue for refunds is only 2000 people long too.
I'm amazed at all the people in the comments who say they got scammed. Especially since all of them seem to just shrug it off like "that's the way it goes sometime." Everyone and their mother was warning you people this was a scam.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FishionMailed posted:

I love it when the FTC or SEC drops the hammer on people.

I can't wait for those 'we're a hedge fund but we make sports bets instead of buying securities, "invest" with us!' people to get the SEC's attention.

There was a Bitcoin startup that had the idea to run a fantasy stock exchange for companies that have yet to make an IPO and start trading on the market, like Snapchat or Uber, based on their estimated valuation. They were still in beta but had the brilliant idea of doing their beta testing by inviting friends, family, etc. to participate using bitcoin. Which immediately placed them under the scrutiny of the SEC for using real money (in the sense that exchanging bitcoins is a taxable event, similar to paying someone with stock shares) to gamble on non-existent securities.

Anyway, after the SEC reached out to them one of the engineers had the brilliant idea to post some data analytics on their blog.

https://archive.is/L97V5

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

cumshitter posted:

Anyway, after the SEC reached out to them one of the engineers had the brilliant idea to post some data analytics on their blog.

https://archive.is/L97V5

lmao they think high traffic from DC and specifically the SEC is a good thing

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

cumshitter posted:

There was a Bitcoin startup that had the idea to run a fantasy stock exchange for companies that have yet to make an IPO and start trading on the market, like Snapchat or Uber, based on their estimated valuation. They were still in beta but had the brilliant idea of doing their beta testing by inviting friends, family, etc. to participate using bitcoin. Which immediately placed them under the scrutiny of the SEC for using real money (in the sense that exchanging bitcoins is a taxable event, similar to paying someone with stock shares) to gamble on non-existent securities.

The best part is they had bots doing fake trades to artificially boost volume. It's like they set out to violate as many securities laws at once as possible.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FishionMailed posted:

lmao they think high traffic from DC and specifically the SEC is a good thing

No, they were purposely trying to give a big middle finger to the SEC after they were told what they were doing was illegal. I think they ended up with a $50,000 fine, which is pretty light.

They wrote some pissy blog posts too, I think, but I don't know where to find those.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Shutting down a hospital with babies and old people sick is really cool.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
You can't do folding at home, but something like finding new prime numbers could work in that it's hard to find and easy to prove. The problem is that there's no guarantee as far as how often it will happen, so you'd have to do something like X btc for each day that passed since the last one was found.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I dont understand how very large prime numbers mean anything.

2^74,207,281 − 1 is the largest prime number currently. What can they even do this with?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If you have two big primes you can put them together in a way that's hard to figure out what numbers you started with and somehow cryptography comes out the other end.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

turbomoose posted:

You can't do folding at home, but something like finding new prime numbers could work in that it's hard to find and easy to prove. The problem is that there's no guarantee as far as how often it will happen, so you'd have to do something like X btc for each day that passed since the last one was found.

Amazingly enough there sort of is such a guarantee. This famous theorem tells us approximately how many prime numbers are to be found when searching a given region. I don't know whether this approximation is good enough to want to trust your economy to (actual number theorists might or might not be able to tell you how likely it is to hit hyperinflation by running into an unexpectedly dense region of primes) but if you're running a Bitcoin variant, I imagine it'd be among the least of your problems.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

Shutting down a hospital with babies and old people sick is really cool.

gently caress that guy. There are other corporations and businesses he could have targeted, instead he went after a hospital and risked lives, even if it was just by making patient information sharing much slower.

This should unironically come with the death penalty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

turbomoose posted:

That's actually almost entirely wrong. Testing if something is a prime is hard (it's in co-NP). Coming up with a reasonable guess of a prime is comparatively easy; guess a number and perform a cheap probabilistic check and if that fails add two and try again (doing this yields pseudo-primes which is what is used for encryption). That means the "worker" can just make cheap guesses while anybody proving they didn't cheat have to do more work.

But you're on the right track; something like butts might be a good way of solving NPC problems. That is basically any interesting problem; solving the problem is (most likely) exponential (slow!) in the size of the input while checking it is polynomial (fast-ish).

Primality test is in co-NP; proving that a number is composite is in NP; it is easy to prove that a given number is not prime: give me a prime factor; coming up with that factor is hard but checking is easy (integer division is fast).

Most optimization problems are in NP (compute shortest route, best packing of boxes in a car, mathematical proofs, ...)

klafbang fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread