Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Is there any point in the story or method I can use to acquire one of the cooler BoS outfits to wear without making them all hate me?

Side complaint: Annoying how the "best" upgrades to your armor pieces change the color of them. Maybe I want shadowed sneaky armor without having to give up all the extra dmg protection in the process, Bethesda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Do you think ghouls can freeze to death or do the magic radiation protect them from that? It gets real cold in Massachusetts you know

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes.

Also there should be huge mutant moose trudging through Lewiston/Auburn, some ghouls trying to just live their life in Old Flower Beach while wearing clothes that would fit well in Hawaii, and the great city of Banger that's just full of ghouls and Super Mutants who want to educate you.

There should also be a Church of the Boot, where they all praise the great Lx2 Bean Boot.

Given that Maine today contains mosquitoes the size of Bloodbugs, it would be interesting to see what it's like in a post-nuclear world.

Really, it does.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AwkwardKnob posted:

Side complaint: Annoying how the "best" upgrades to your armor pieces change the color of them. Maybe I want shadowed sneaky armor without having to give up all the extra dmg protection in the process, Bethesda?
I was kinda miffed about that too, but then I looked at my total damage resistance with ballistic weave and the best armors fully maxed out and then I compared that to my total with ballistic weave and the best armors only at shadow level.

As a percentage, it was utterly trivial. Just use the color you like best.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AwkwardKnob posted:

Is there any point in the story or method I can use to acquire one of the cooler BoS outfits to wear without making them all hate me?

you can kill paladin whats his name on the lost patrol quest and take his bos officer uniform. he only wears it when he's outside of the prydwen so that might be your once chance.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wrr posted:

Do you think ghouls can freeze to death or do the magic radiation protect them from that? It gets real cold in Massachusetts you know

Some kid lived in a fridge for 200 years, what do you think?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mendrian posted:

However that is among the dumbest quests Bethesda has ever created.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

don't tell pete hines that, he'll block you from twitter

personally I can't wait to see what kind of vaults they cook up for this dlc. I'm thinking a call back to my previous favorite vault, except this time it's filled with clones named Larry. LARRRRRRYYYY haha I just can't wait guys, it's gonna be fantastic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AwkwardKnob posted:

Follow the smoke trails of crashing vertiberds and loot the dead Knights. You'll get a pretty steady supply.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man 2 of the 3 DLCs look cool so far, good job Bethesda.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Well that depends on if the fridge was running or not.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Wrr posted:

Well that depends on if the fridge was running or not.

Either way, he clearly caught it

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Agreed. Even if they made the kid living in an abandoned well surviving off of radroaches and the ankle deep water or similar I would have been cool with it.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not really, it's a new zone you travel to like past DLC.

I hope they do a Bangor expansion too, and confuse everyone not from Maine by calling it Bang-gor, instead of the wrong Bang-ger.

Bangor? I hardly even know her :haw:

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 18, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Theres literally two ghouls trapped in an enclosed space with no food supply for 200 years in separate quests.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
And yet all feral ghouls you meet try to eat you zombie style.

I will say, I feel like the ghouls in 4 look massively better then 3 or vegas. Both the ferals and NPCs.

I like how the kid in the fridge quest somehow becomes about slavery almost immediately.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

You still get quests if you ever happen by a radio playing the Minutemen station. It really makes you paranoid until you realize what's happening.

You can turn off the Minuteman radio at the castle if it bothers you

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I hope that last $20 of DLC is another story expansion. With the dearth of interesting things to do in the Commonwealth, more Minecraft and a fetch quest to make a new companion aren't really cutting it in terms of making me care enough to dig the disc out again.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

I hope that last $20 of DLC is another story expansion. With the dearth of interesting things to do in the Commonwealth, more Minecraft and a fetch quest to make a new companion aren't really cutting it in terms of making me care enough to dig the disc out again.

I'm holding onto the hope that The Mechanist quest will have dialogue options like the Silver Shroud. Better yet, have unique dialogue if you wear the Silver Shroud clothes.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Nasgate posted:

I'm holding onto the hope that The Mechanist quest will have dialogue options like the Silver Shroud. Better yet, have unique dialogue if you wear the Silver Shroud clothes.

He was a villain in one of the radio plays. It'd be cool if saving Kent in the Silver Shroud quest rewarded you with some neat equipment and dialogue for facing off against the Mechanist. He'd arguably be the best source for intel, given the circumstances.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Silver Shroud needed to be an end-game faction, same with Atom Cats.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Speaking of Silver Shroud, is it normal for the station to shut down after you get your first armor upgrade? I've listened to all of the episodes on it, but it's still OK walking around white noise. It just isn't broadcasting any more.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
It'll come back eventually.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I hope the Maine DLC will finally allow us to make mirelurk chowder chowdah.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Is it racist if I want to lock preston up in a caged far far away so he can no longer give me radient quests? Its like I told you quit telling me the bad things preston.

Send him to that settlement in the middle of a swamp.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

gypsyshred posted:

It'll come back eventually.

I seem to remember it also being tied to your level to a certian extent (I think you need to be lvl 25 to get the highest upgrade).

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Last night I randomly found a bar next to Swan's Pool I had missed. It annoyed me that there was this large place with nothing in it, no ferals no raiders, no nothing. Then I thought it looked vaguely familiar and as I moved up to the bar I saw a mailman's hat with two corpses and realized that it was Cheers. :iamafag: I felt pretty old, getting that reference.

I picked up the no fall damage leggings for my first character (I went back to her for this and trying to get the settlement cheevo) and I can't see any way up there that isn't using a trashcan wall climbing glitch. I did find a few doors on the levels below it that require a key, any idea where that key might be located?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So for small arms pistol builds is the Deliverer defacto the best sneaking pistol?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

So for small arms pistol builds is the Deliverer defacto the best sneaking pistol?

for sneaking yeah. Kellogs is the best for a vats non-sneak though. If you have crit banker you will be able to kill pretty much an entire Super mutant base without leaving VATS

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A cool thing would be if there was support for the 'critical hit button' to do other things than just deal a poo poo ton of damage. Like special attacks for certain weapons, such a gunslinger attack where the user fans their revolver and shoots every aggro'd enemy in sight once. I might use it more (or ever) if that was the case.

When does that GECK come out? I want to try and make more quests for this dumb game.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Is there a reason Strong dislikes me getting into power armor or picking safes and locks? Seems like odds things to dislike, especially since the game rewards you for doing both of these things.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Is there a reason Strong dislikes me getting into power armor or picking safes and locks? Seems like odds things to dislike, especially since the game rewards you for doing both of these things.

He doesn't like you using PA to act hard and he thinks you should smash poo poo, not finesse it open.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Is there a FO4 mod thread yet?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wrr posted:

A cool thing would be if there was support for the 'critical hit button' to do other things than just deal a poo poo ton of damage. Like special attacks for certain weapons, such a gunslinger attack where the user fans their revolver and shoots every aggro'd enemy in sight once. I might use it more (or ever) if that was the case.

When does that GECK come out? I want to try and make more quests for this dumb game.

I agree it could use more variety (like the special melee attacks from FNV, say) but why would you not use it? It's still guaranteed double (triple?) damage.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I barely ever use VATS and it's retarded that they chained critical hits to it. Critical hits make sense as a luck based thing that just happens on some hits. A critical hit button makes no sense at all and it's just dumb and I hope they change it back in the next game.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I actually think it's an okay change, and here's why:
1. It encourages players to use VATS, a signature of the Fallout series since FO1.
2. It rewards players for playing well using VATS and helps bad players take down tougher targets.

And if you don't like VATS and you're good enough to play without it, you probably don't need criticals because you're headshotting anyway.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree it could use more variety (like the special melee attacks from FNV, say) but why would you not use it? It's still guaranteed double (triple?) damage.

I never really had to enter VATs at all since they made the shooting so good, and so I would always forget that there even was a critical in there I had to activate. Even then things did easily enough that I rarely needed it, and if they were too tough I would rather run away then hope my critical was enough.

I don't mind the idea of a super attack that builds up and stored for later, they're always a lot of fun to use, but a simple normal shot that just does a ton of damage isn't very interesting to me. An attack like the focus ones in DA: I works nicely because it is very flashy and usually does a bunch of damage to a bunch of different targets. Using it feels like a powerful "gently caress you" to enemies, whereas the VATs crit feels impotent and weak, even if the actual damage numbers are high (which I don't remember them really being, although I wasn't specced for that).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ariza posted:

Is there a FO4 mod thread yet?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752120

fake edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514513

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wrr posted:

I never really had to enter VATs at all since they made the shooting so good, and so I would always forget that there even was a critical in there I had to activate. Even then things did easily enough that I rarely needed it, and if they were too tough I would rather run away then hope my critical was enough.

I don't mind the idea of a super attack that builds up and stored for later, they're always a lot of fun to use, but a simple normal shot that just does a ton of damage isn't very interesting to me. An attack like the focus ones in DA: I works nicely because it is very flashy and usually does a bunch of damage to a bunch of different targets. Using it feels like a powerful "gently caress you" to enemies, whereas the VATs crit feels impotent and weak, even if the actual damage numbers are high (which I don't remember them really being, although I wasn't specced for that).

Ah, that makes sense, I thought you meant you use VATS but not the crit banker which seemed bizarre. Though I always found myself only using it with a weapon built around VATS (like the sawed-off) or to make an improbable headshot from like 100 meters away, so it always felt like a suitably extraordinary moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I seem to remember it also being tied to your level to a certian extent (I think you need to be lvl 25 to get the highest upgrade).

Yeah I'm 38, which is why I was asking.

Atma McCuddles posted:

I actually think it's an okay change, and here's why:
1. It encourages players to use VATS, a signature of the Fallout series since FO1.
2. It rewards players for playing well using VATS and helps bad players take down tougher targets.

And if you don't like VATS and you're good enough to play without it, you probably don't need criticals because you're headshotting anyway.

Vats really seems worthless in 4 compared to 3 and NV. I used to use it all the time in NV for anything harder than just wasting 2 or 3 random rad scorpions, but the only times I really use it here are when I just want to see slow mo for some reason.

I'm really not sure what changed. It sure as hell isn't the fact that it's no longer an absolute freeze, because it's slow enough that it might as well be.

edit: the rare time that I go into VATS I always forget the crit banker is there too, so I just about never use it.

• Locked thread