Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Everybody neglected to tell me that Scimitar's weapon art lets you do anime flips.

Badass as hell. What's that mace weapon art, some kind of WoTG-style blast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

homeless poster posted:

they should do it like a combo between bed of chaos, and the doors of pharos zone, so that they're drawing upon two of the best implemented and most popular things from DS 1 & 2.

Sorry, Doors is good and cool.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's kind of boring and pointless unless you want to set traps in the possible chance of being invaded? It's pretty much ignorable though, so harmless.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Found some more item translations on reddit, from the loading screens and Q&A sessions at the JP showings - https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/45pjme/new_weapons_description_spoilers/

+ "If Hawkwood's weapon is the Bastard Sword, Lunge is the Bastard Sword weapon art too."
+ "Knight in the network test [I assume the red capes] is NOT the elite/black knight, it's a lower-class knight. :smuggo:"
+ "Knight class's shield had a weapon art in the network test, in the new version it parries"
+ "No dual wield like DS2" [I assume this means power stancing is out]
+ "Someone beat Iudex Gundyr in 30 seconds and the staff went 'wtf'"
+ "maybe luck=pyromancy"
+ "Battle Axe: 80 durability, 5 attacks = 1 durability point"
+ "You can choose to spend estus flask shards on either the blue or the orange estus"
+ "Rolling is DS2-style: more equip load = shorter roll distance, after certain point it turns fatroll"
+ "The fat ice knight is Borudo of the Frigid Valley"

+ Purification/Sacred Fire (pyromancy)
+ Vow of Silence (miracle)
+ Light (sorcery): reporter does not remember exact name, description had the word Oolacile in it
+ Tear of Cure (sorcery): had word "Carim" in description

+ Black Flame
+ Farron Knight's Armor
+ Dragonblood Set
+ Faraam Set
+ Prince Lothric's Hood
+ Hawkwood's Shield
+ Lloyd Shield: stability is increased at full HP
+ Spider Shield: has a weapon art
+ Dragon Scale Ring: reduces damage from the back.
+ Dragoncrest Ring: boosts sorcery damage
+ Covetous Silver Serpent Ring
+ Red Tearstone Ring
+ Flynn's Ring
+ Fake Ring
+ Way of the White item: restores the connection between worlds
+ Lloyd's Talisman is now Undead Hunt Talisman
+ Wheel (of Fortune?)

+ Broken Straight Sword
+ Demon's Greataxe
+ Greatsword: the one from DS2
+ Dragonslayer Greatbow: weapon art "Piercing Shot"
+ Winged/Feather Knight's Halberd
+ Iai katana: weapon art "was like stepping forward"
+ Straightsword: weapon art was "stance", breaks guards/reduces stamina better than kick, ex. on the red capes in one hit
+ Whip & Notched Whip: weapon art "Severe Blow", gets around shields and reduces stamina regen
+ Crow Demon's Curved Greatsword: weapon art "dead angle"
+ Darkdrift: weapon art "Darkdrift" lol
+ Great Mace: weapon art "patience & endurance"
+ Doran's Dual Spears (it's noted "Doran" is also part of how Drangleic is spelled): weapon art "Charge" - positions spears at the hip, immediately doing a charge attack; by performing a strong attack during the charge, its reach can be extended; The dual spears of Doran's Order of Knights, who call themselves the descendants of the lands of Firelink folklore of old [lol]. One of the dual sword weapons. Doran's Order of Knights, who wander the lands as mercenaries, do not carry shields and are well known for their relentless aggression.
+ Storm Ruler

Fly Molo posted:

Badass as hell. What's that mace weapon art, some kind of WoTG-style blast?

Mace art gives you hyperarmor.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bugblatter posted:

It's kind of boring and pointless unless you want to set traps in the possible chance of being invaded? It's pretty much ignorable though, so harmless.

Isn't the whole point of the Covenant to let you force other players in the zone to invade you and so have to get through your gauntlet of enemies and traps?

turtlecrunch posted:

I hope this is a lie.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 18, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
STORM RULER. CLEAVE THE HEAVENS

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Eopia posted:

I hope this is a lie.

I thought it was confirmed that while power stancing is gone some weapons will have special movesets if dual-wielded? Kinda like the twin greatshields in Dark Souls 2.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is the whole 'time is hosed and everything is bleeding together' plot point going to mean this is just going to be some insane best-of amalgamation? Or (much less likely) they're bringing back equipment from DS2 while simultaneously throwing its plot out the window?

Eopia posted:

I hope this is a lie.

Dual-wielding/powerstancing is now tied to the weapon itself, so you can't do mix-and-matching like DS2. There were a set of scimitars in the demo, and the equipment leak there says there are dual spears too. This is probably for the best, because a) it's way easier to balance and b) mixed weapon powerstancing in DS2 was either direly underpowered (+50% stamina consumption for +10% damage :confuoot:) or broke-rear end stunlock combos with almost no inbetween.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 18, 2016

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Alabaster White posted:

Dual-wielding/powerstancing is now tied to the weapon itself, so you can't do mix-and-matching like DS2. There were a set of scimitars in the demo, and the equipment leak there says there are dual spears too. This is probably for the best, because a) it's way easier to balance and b) mixed weapon powerstancing in DS2 was either direly underpowered (+50% stamina consumption for +10% damage :confuoot:) or broke-rear end stunlock combos with almost no inbetween.

Fair enough, I don't have the clearest view of what they're doing mechanically, but that's a far better situation than removing it entirely like I was afraid that meant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Not directly related to the games but pretty cool to know. Makes me want a present day/future Souls game even more.

http://369news.net/12000-year-old-massive-underground-tunnels-are-real-and-stretch-from-scotland-to-turkey/

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Eopia posted:

Fair enough, I don't have the clearest view of what they're doing mechanically, but that's a far better situation than removing it entirely like I was afraid that meant.

My understanding from the demo and video's we've seen is that dual wielding is now just tied to specific pieces of equipment. For example the dual-scimitar is just it's own weapon, like a greatsword or a mace or whatever. That's the impression that I got anyways.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It sounds like this game is going to be shamelessly rammed full of references to the rest of the series :iia:

Also those red cape guys look incredibly similar to Baldur Knights and use a cool looking straight sword with lots of thrusting attacks, if they cocktease like this without delivering BSS Mk. II I'm gonna be sad

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
This game will be revealed to be the Northern Limit area that was cut from DeS.

Also, why isn't Mail Breaker confirmed yet?!

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RabidWeasel posted:

It sounds like this game is going to be shamelessly rammed full of references to the rest of the series :iia:
I'm atrocious at these games, but god I love the lore and design of 'em. ( I'm going to miss the genocide mechanic from DS2 :( ) Seems like lore-wise this time around things are extra hosed up, because the fire is going out according to the trailer. It does feel like they might be trying to put a bit of a capstone on the series with this installment. I've got a feeling the next is going to be Bloodborne 2 or something else altogether.

I do like that the spin in this one is that the chosen undead has to beat up the Kings because they hosed off instead of rekindling the first flame like they were supposed to. But I'd be pretty grumpy if I got bought back from the dead to die again I guess. :lol:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

This game will be revealed to be the Northern Limit area that was cut from DeS.

Also, why isn't Mail Breaker confirmed yet?!

Has the Mail Breaker ever had a niche since being an early, widely available solution to hard-skinned enemies in Demon's Souls?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It has a really cool animation set that is bad for actually killing things in 2. :smith:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Still been pretty unsure about what platform to get it on. I've always had it on PC and PS platforms in the past, but will only grab one this time. Thinking PS as it is a Japanese game and will probably have more players. Can always get a cheap PC version when its on sale later or something. Little bit unsure still.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Alabaster White posted:

Has the Mail Breaker ever had a niche since being an early, widely available solution to hard-skinned enemies in Demon's Souls?

I don't remember that being A Thing That Mattered in DeS tbh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

It has a really cool animation set that is bad for actually killing things in 2. :smith:

Mail breaker was super good in 2.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

I don't remember that being A Thing That Mattered in DeS tbh.

Didn't the miner creature things in 2-1 have absurdly thick skin that shrugged off slash attacks? I think I used a weapon with a thrust in the moveset, but pretty sure you would want to switch to a mail breaker or something otherwise.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Elerion posted:

Didn't the miner creature things in 2-1 have absurdly thick skin that shrugged off slash attacks? I think I used a weapon with a thrust in the moveset, but pretty sure you would want to switch to a mail breaker or something otherwise.

Yup. Damage types were a big deal in des

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I read Oolacile and got really loving hype at work

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

+ "Knight in the network test [I assume the red capes] is NOT the elite/black knight, it's a lower-class knight. :smuggo:"

Makes sense since it's basically a Baldur/Drakeblood composite.

quote:

I'm find with no powerstancing, but I still hope dual-wielding is a thing. Ideally up to the Dks2 level where weapons have their complete moveset in the left hand, at the very least not like BB where weapons are locked to the right hand and sidearms to the left.

quote:

+ "Battle Axe: 80 durability, 5 attacks = 1 durability point"

That's 200 attacks before it's reduced by half. So if durability is restored at bonfires (which I think they confirmed?) then either bonfires are super duper far apart (yay Des/BB-style level design) or the new durability system is as worthless as the ones in the non-Dks2 games.

quote:

+ Dragonblood Set

Sounds like Drakeblood set which is rad cause that set is rad.

quote:

+ Dragon Scale Ring: reduces damage from the back.

Hopefully not as broken as Gower's.

quote:

+ Whip & Notched Whip: weapon art "Severe Blow", gets around shields and reduces stamina regen

If whips have good movesets like in Dks2 they'll probably be very good for PVP.

quote:

+ Crow Demon's Curved Greatsword: weapon art "dead angle"

Nice to see dead angling being made a legit mechanic.

quote:

+ Doran's Dual Spears (it's noted "Doran" is also part of how Drangleic is spelled): weapon art "Charge" - positions spears at the hip, immediately doing a charge attack; by performing a strong attack during the charge, its reach can be extended; The dual spears of Doran's Order of Knights, who call themselves the descendants of the lands of Firelink folklore of old [lol]. One of the dual sword weapons. Doran's Order of Knights, who wander the lands as mercenaries, do not carry shields and are well known for their relentless aggression.

Hope this is officially translated as "Drang's Dual Spears" cause that's a silly name.

quote:

+ Storm Ruler

:getin:

Genocyber posted:

Mail breaker was super good in 2.

To add to this, good AR, high counter bonus, rapier moveset, and dagger-tier crits. Only downside is the short range, it's otherwise super good in both PVE and PVP.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Lucatiel's set was also confirmed I think. I've seen mentions of both drakeblood and dragonblood set around, are these the same armor ( the sunken king one)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RatHat posted:

To be honest, I don't. If they do another PvP boss I think it should be more indirect PvP, like flipping switches to activate traps in the boss arena or something.

The Bed of Ballistae

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Genocyber posted:

So if durability is restored at bonfires (which I think they confirmed?)

yah

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

turtlecrunch posted:

+ Wheel (of Fortune?)

Covenant of the Bonewheel TIA

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

To add to this, good AR, high counter bonus, rapier moveset, and dagger-tier crits. Only downside is the short range, it's otherwise super good in both PVE and PVP.

Didn't it get its crit damage nerfed a lot at some point? I remember for a while after it got AR buffed it was one of the more damaging crit weapons for some builds. It was also really light so good to have as a secondary for just about anyone.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

This makes me wish we could invade as enemies, with unique movesets. Bonewheel invasions

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Looks like Namco didn't want to fork out money to hire an orchestra this time. It's a shame after DS1 and BB.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Alabaster White posted:

There were a set of scimitars in the demo, and the equipment leak there says there are dual spears too.

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Spermando posted:

Looks like Namco didn't want to fork out money to hire an orchestra this time. It's a shame after DS1 and BB.

You win this time, PC version.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Spermando posted:

that's extremely gay but probably the cost of this one potentially being the best in the series

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spermando posted:

Instead we can get songs with fake choruses that nerds attempt to "translate" for lore.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I wonder if the inevitable dragon covenant items will be as questionably useful as all the previous iterations. They're cool, but just... not useful.

It'd be interesting if they went the route they did with the beast claws and that one rune in Bloodborne and just gave you some sort of neat unique moveset with it. Also making it a weapon and thus actually upgradable.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is the DS1 kick back? I miss that kick.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SciFiDownBeat posted:

that's extremely gay but probably the cost of this one potentially being the best in the series

What part of that unfortunate news is homosexual?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The part that sucks obvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

oldpainless posted:

The part that sucks obvs

But you should see the condos....

• Locked thread